Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Its news to me that Cal gets a blaster this time as a new weapon. Didn't know that was going to be a thing.

In the trailers, it looked like a few characters will join Cal this time during combat, is that the case? How often does it happen, or is it really just in cutscenes?

Yeah, you can give orders to your allies in combat though tbh they're not especially useful. Maybe they come into their own on higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Embargo's up, been playing this all week and here's my review: https://wegotthiscovered.com/reviews/review-star-wars-jedi-survivor-is-yet-another-high-profile-release-marred-by-technical-issues/

Happy to answer any questions about the game.

Is it true the game has an arachnophobia mode in the accessibility settings that gets rid of the spider enemies? Read something about that earlier today.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Psycho Mantits posted:

Is it true the game has an arachnophobia mode in the accessibility settings that gets rid of the spider enemies? Read something about that earlier today.

It does.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

You can fully customise Cal's clothing and hair, plus more customisation for BD-1, and even more granularity for customising your saber and blaster.

Not sure if you can still customise the Mantis though, I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Didn't I read somewhere that there's base customization of some sort?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nice! Speaking of, what is there for difficulty and accessibility options in general? How adjustable is the difficulty?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jesus wept, I've had arachnophobia for nearly 30 years (thanks to the titular movie, though it's not as intense these days) and I wouldn't turn it off. I love horror though so maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

Embargo's up, been playing this all week and here's my review: https://wegotthiscovered.com/reviews/review-star-wars-jedi-survivor-is-yet-another-high-profile-release-marred-by-technical-issues/

Sounds like if I enjoyed the first one on hard, this one should be similar?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Does this impact the ability to get trophies/achievements? The first game had a spider boss to kill for one of them.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

TheCenturion posted:

Didn't I read somewhere that there's base customization of some sort?

there's a cantina that's supposed to be a sort of home base and i think you can find characters and collectibles to add to it but i'm not sure how customisable it is

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Necrothatcher posted:

Thanks for sharing this, forgot it's coming out so soon! Gonna try to wait for a few patches / maybe the first sale before picking it up but I loved the first game.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Was hoping this would get me thru until ToTK released. Guess I’ll go with the XBC3 DLC instead and wait until this game is cheaper than 70 bucks and has some patches.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does this impact the ability to get trophies/achievements? The first game had a spider boss to kill for one of them.

I put about 30 hours into the game and didn't come across anything even resembling a spider so they're not a huge part of the game arachnophobia setting or not.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Also difficulty settings don't seem to lock you out of achievements. After the credits rolled I put it on story mode to test performance and was still getting them.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 26, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Sounds like if I enjoyed the first one on hard, this one should be similar?

Yeah, it's very much more the same, which is good as Fallen Order was great

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying 'same but more and better, but drat they have some performance issues to figure out.'

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Mmm just got the download code email since the embargo is up. Woo!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, it's very much more the same, which is good as Fallen Order was great

Sorry, meant specifically the difficulty. If I found hard just right last time, might as well do the same again?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

Sorry, meant specifically the difficulty. If I found hard just right last time, might as well do the same again?

If anything it's a little easier than Fallen Order as you have more stances to play with. But by and large it's around the same difficulty.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Junkenstein posted:

I'm curious about this too. IIRC, the first game was balanced with Jedi Master(hard) being the base level.

I did hear that some YT videos a few weeks ago that you can tweak the overall difficulty, but also just about every part of the combat as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

If anything it's a little easier than Fallen Order as you have more stances to play with. But by and large it's around the same difficulty.

I just always play on the easiest difficulty cause im casual trash lol. The only difficulty I had with Fallen Order was the final boss.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1651241690697539586

I think I'll wait until I get a GPU with more than 8GB vram.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
And here I've been wondering/hoping if there's any way to squeeze by with a 6 GB card. :rip:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
EA: We're working on it, we swear
https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651294688786403329?t=uWGNezgN9gfloQAnk27WJA&s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, looks like I was right in thinking that this game would be a challenge for my computer. Hopefully PS5 will be workable, I feel like I'm easy enough on graphics that using performance mode won't bother me.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I pray dlss will save pc performance for me as it usually does, even with a 3080 and a 5950x that poo poo is basically mandatory

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did they put the new Galaxy’s edge lightsaber parts in?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Pops Mgee posted:

Did they put the new Galaxy’s edge lightsaber parts in?

i don't know what those look like but this video apparently has all the lightsaber customisation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBVt52ui-vE

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, looks like I was right in thinking that this game would be a challenge for my computer. Hopefully PS5 will be workable, I feel like I'm easy enough on graphics that using performance mode won't bother me.

Yeah on console I always go for performance mode. It sounds like however Jedi Survivor has an issue with its dynamic resolution where it will dip into unplayable graphic fidelity territory, but that should hopefully be fixed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I pray dlss will save pc performance for me as it usually does, even with a 3080 and a 5950x that poo poo is basically mandatory

Jedi Survivor doesn't have DLSS unfortunately.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So PC and PS5 has problems with the game. Any word on Series X?

Also I never did complete the first game; Is there a recap video somewhere?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Unlucky7 posted:

So PC and PS5 has problems with the game. Any word on Series X?

The only series X review I saw (Xbox era) said that even with VRR performance on that the game would dip below 40fps and be noticeably sluggish in the open areas. Quality mode wasn't enjoyable because it was sharp when stationary then poo poo when moving with loads of blur. Performance mode looks a bit fuzzy.

https://xboxera.com/2023/04/26/review-star-wars-jedi-survivor/

"While I didn’t experience many gameplay-effecting bugs I saw a ton of graphical ones. Broken lighting, massive pop-in, slow loading textures, and broken physics were a near constant. Going in and out of the main hub, an area that isn’t large but is full of NPCs, could take 10-15 seconds of barely masked loading, and still, the engine was struggling to catch up as I walked in."

E: idk if this is a reliable website it just seems like the only place you get Xbox reviews are from XBOXLIFE, XboxEnjoyer, BigXbox, or similar.

EE: it's a UE4 game so yeah, strap yourself in I suppose. It can't be any worse than the first one when it launched right? Hahaha... Ha... Right?

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 27, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Unlucky7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8XeSOwAnlw&t=37s

There's also a little bit about the tie-in novel at the end, a thing I always forget exists 30 seconds after anyone reminds me it exists

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Unlucky7 posted:

Boy meets poncho, boy loves poncho, boy has brief run-in with darth vader

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Somehow, the poncho returned.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

The only series X review I saw (Xbox era) said that even with VRR performance on that the game would dip below 40fps and be noticeably sluggish in the open areas. Quality mode wasn't enjoyable because it was sharp when stationary then poo poo when moving with loads of blur. Performance mode looks a bit fuzzy.

https://xboxera.com/2023/04/26/review-star-wars-jedi-survivor/

"While I didn’t experience many gameplay-effecting bugs I saw a ton of graphical ones. Broken lighting, massive pop-in, slow loading textures, and broken physics were a near constant. Going in and out of the main hub, an area that isn’t large but is full of NPCs, could take 10-15 seconds of barely masked loading, and still, the engine was struggling to catch up as I walked in."

E: idk if this is a reliable website it just seems like the only place you get Xbox reviews are from XBOXLIFE, XboxEnjoyer, BigXbox, or similar.

EE: it's a UE4 game so yeah, strap yourself in I suppose. It can't be any worse than the first one when it launched right? Hahaha... Ha... Right?

Woof.

I thought UE4 was decent engine? What happened?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Unlucky7 posted:

Woof.

It's still fine overall I think, but it struggles loading in giant textures smoothly or something. I might be misremembering tho.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Woof.

There was an interview a few weeks ago with one of the higher ups on Survivor where they were openly saying that they’re astonished they got such a huge game together so quickly. It’s probably not the engine so much as just not having the time to fix it.

UE 3/4 have long had some issues with LoD but this just sounds like this game should’ve come out in the holidays not now.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 27, 2023

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Necrothatcher posted:

Did you have a choice of platform to review the game on or did they push you to a specific platform?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Asteroid Alert posted:

Did you have a choice of platform to review the game on or did they push you to a specific platform?

The choice was PS5 or PC, and our outlet got both, though the guy with the PC code didn't get much of a chance to play it.

They were very cagey about Xbox codes and I'm morbidly curious about how this runs on Series S.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, hopefully my PC is strong enough to overcome the performance issues. 4k/60fps is ideal, but a smooth 1440p/60 is also fine if necessary. It's good to hear the good reviews of the actual game content, though.

It's a shame because my PC can run Fallen Order at 4k/120fps, and it didn't look like the graphics were much better in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Did an editorial on Survivor's performance issues that I'm pretty pleased with: https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/the-fan-backlash-towards-the-star-wars-jedi-survivor-performance-issues-is-totally-justified/