Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pyrotek posted:

The awful performance of the most recent Pokemon game and disappointing performance of ToTK make me think the Switch Pro was actually a thing and those games were targeting it originally for ideal gameplay.

I'd wait to play ToTK on the next Nintendo system if I could trust Nintendo to make it backwards compatible and improve the performance.

in the meantime, the definitive way to play TOTK will be on PC

unless nintendo decide to use that denuvo anti-emulator tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sininu posted:

Can someone explain why anisotropic filtering keeps being broken in games on my systems. Last 3 computers I had, GT555M, GTX970M and RTX2070S, they all had this issue of AF just not working unless I forced it in Nvidia control panel. I ended up forcing it on globally because it's an issue in most games. But even then there are games where it doesn't work or randomly stops working after game or driver update. I think the latest one of that kind is Forza Horizon 4, I'm pretty sure it had functioning AF first 100 hours I played, but about a month ago it just doesn't work anymore or is limited to low value like 4x.

What's so irritating is that 16-tap anisotropic filtering is a trivial workload for any vaguely recent card, and comes with a huge visual improvement. It's bizarre it's not just default on everything

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 26, 2023

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

in the meantime, the definitive way to play TOTK will be on PC

unless nintendo decide to use that denuvo anti-emulator tech

I'm not sure how much it'll matter even if they do, given the insanely powerful motivation of nerds

edit: also lmao if they are paying the denuvo overhead tax when they can't even hit 30fps

TwoDice fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 26, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the denuvo anti-emulator thing hasn't shipped in any games yet so it's unknown exactly what they're doing, what the overhead is like, and how much if anything it has in common with their PC DRM

there's some precedent for games deliberately messing with current-gen emulators, a handful of wii games had code that deliberately broke dolphin by abusing details of the systems cache hierarchy that aren't replicated by emulators (because it would be extremely slow to do so and there's usually no reason to)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

case in point, BOTW2/TOTK previews are going up and the already meagre target of 30fps (without motion blur to fill the gaps) is regularly missed :whitewater:

i haven't seen any detailed frame counts but some of the footage looks to be in the 20-25fps range

Yeah...there comes a point where you really gotta just move on and get something a bit more powerful in there. RDNA 2 ain't gonna kill your margins, Nintendo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the nvidia leak already all but confirmed they're sticking with tegra for the next system (likely an ampere-based chip)

backwards compatibility makes switching vendors a can of worms, even sticking with nvidia they'll have to do some degree of emulation to retarget the maxwell shader blobs to ampere or whatever, but that's probably easier than translating them to RDNA ISA

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Congratulations to Nvidia for finally finding a console maker that sticks with them for more than one generation

Sure they had that huge exploit on the first gen Switch consoles, but all is forgiven?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fun fact, nvidias big security oopsy with the tegra X1 that blew the switch open is also the primary means of bypassing Widevine L1 (e.g. 4K netflix) to decrypt the streams for pirate releases

the shield TV uses the same chip, and for some reason hasn't had its L1 certification revoked, so whenever pirate groups get their compromised keys blacklisted they just take another shield TV from the pile and dump the keys again

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

pyrotek posted:

Congratulations to Nvidia for finally finding a console maker that sticks with them for more than one generation

Sure they had that huge exploit on the first gen Switch consoles, but all is forgiven?

I look forward to the next exploit that comes, once again with an office supply item. Hoping for a staple remover.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the switch getting blown open like that is ironic because nintendo actually did an excellent job of locking down the OS this time, unlike their prior systems

their kernel is so tiny that it's been exhaustively analysed, and the relevant authorities on switch hacking are pretty sure there are no exploits

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Okay, so I'm just confused as poo poo and I've been trying a bunch of stuff on my own and haven't been able to figure out the exact source of the problem without going down several rabbit holes about silicon stepping mismatches and other poo poo. I've mentioned my system before, but for the sake of keeping everything in one post I'll list it again

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X with a big-rear end Noctua NH-D12L on it
Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX using three separate PSU cables
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 RAM (specifically marked as being for AMD systems)
Samsung 950 Evo NVMe SSD
Cooler Master 850W SFX PSU

I'm assuming it's a GPU issue since this wasn't happening until after I changed from a 3070 Ti to the 7900 XTX, so in Final Fantasy XIV my clock speeds are jumping all over the place and intermittently this results in extreme stuttering/huge frame time spikes. I'll go into an instanced dungeon and my GPU utilization is jumping anywhere from 45%-90% with my clock speed going from 1400MHz up to around 2700MHz. CPU utilization isn't very high, but it's a 12-core/24-thread CPU so I wouldn't expect it to be high. XMP is enabled in BIOS. I uninstalled the Adrenalin software using DDU in safe mode and installed only the driver while in safe mode. This seemed to fix things for about a day and then the issue came back. I've seen things mentioning needing to have three power cables running to the GPU which I've done, turning off ULPS which I've done, increasing the power limit which I've done, setting a minimum and maximum frequency in Adrenalin which I tried before removing that entirely in favor of the driver alone. I'm honestly at a loss as to what I'm not thinking of or trying here. I don't have Vsync enabled, I have Freesync on, I'm running a 240Hz Freesync Premium rated monitor.

I know that RDNA3 is extremely different than Maxwell/Pascal/Turing/Ampere so I can't directly compare what I'm used to on Nvidia cards to this one, but it seems as if there is something causing a weird bottleneck, especially considering I've seen my framerate in FFXIV be well into the 300s shortly after I started using this card. I feel like all I do is ask for help lately, but I could really use guidance from someone who has an idea of what might be going on here.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the star wars game looks to be coming in hot
https://twitter.com/TheAndyCortez/status/1651346998350741504?s=20

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Branch Nvidian posted:

Okay, so I'm just confused as poo poo and I've been trying a bunch of stuff on my own and haven't been able to figure out the exact source of the problem without going down several rabbit holes about silicon stepping mismatches and other poo poo. I've mentioned my system before, but for the sake of keeping everything in one post I'll list it again

G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 RAM (specifically marked as being for AMD systems)
Samsung 950 Evo NVMe SSD

I'm assuming it's a GPU issue since this wasn't happening until after I changed from a 3070 Ti to the 7900 XTX, so in Final Fantasy XIV my clock speeds are jumping all over the place and intermittently this results in extreme stuttering/huge frame time spikes. I'll go into an instanced dungeon and my GPU utilization is jumping anywhere from 45%-90% with my clock speed going from 1400MHz up to around 2700MHz. CPU utilization isn't very high, but it's a 12-core/24-thread CPU so I wouldn't expect it to be high. XMP is enabled in BIOS. I uninstalled the Adrenalin software using DDU in safe mode and installed only the driver while in safe mode. This seemed to fix things for about a day and then the issue came back. I've seen things mentioning needing to have three power cables running to the GPU which I've done, turning off ULPS which I've done, increasing the power limit which I've done, setting a minimum and maximum frequency in Adrenalin which I tried before removing that entirely in favor of the driver alone. I'm honestly at a loss as to what I'm not thinking of or trying here. I don't have Vsync enabled, I have Freesync on, I'm running a 240Hz Freesync Premium rated monitor.

I know that RDNA3 is extremely different than Maxwell/Pascal/Turing/Ampere so I can't directly compare what I'm used to on Nvidia cards to this one, but it seems as if there is something causing a weird bottleneck, especially considering I've seen my framerate in FFXIV be well into the 300s shortly after I started using this card. I feel like all I do is ask for help lately, but I could really use guidance from someone who has an idea of what might be going on here.

look for radeon chill settings, vsync isn't bad with freesynce, but there are other amd option like enhanced sync, do you have anti-lag?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

wargames posted:

look for radeon chill settings, vsync isn't bad with freesynce, but there are other amd option like enhanced sync, do you have anti-lag?

I don't have any of those settings available to me right now since I removed the Adrenalin software and went with a driver only install.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1651364712251285504

I wonder if it's putting the game on e cores for that intel CPU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MagusDraco posted:

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1651364712251285504

I wonder if it's putting the game on e cores for that intel CPU

They originally complained about a 9900k at home having the issue.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Branch Nvidian posted:

Samsung 950 Evo NVMe SSD

Change your windows power plan to "high performance" and see if it keeps doing it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

Change your windows power plan to "high performance" and see if it keeps doing it.

Already did that as well.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Another possibility is that since the 5900X is a multi-CCD CPU the game could be hopping between CCDs. Try pinning the game to cores only across a single CCD and see if it smooths out.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

Samsung 950 Evo NVMe SSD

When you swapped the 3070ti for the 7900xtx, did you use DDU to clean every trace of NVidia software from your PC? Nvidia leaves some poo poo in your registry and system files that is not purged by the NVidia uninstaller. Swapping from NVidia to AMD, or vice versa can cause weird/sporadic issues with clocks and performance if you don't run DDU.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-tags/download-ddu.html

We would all like to believe that uninstalling the drivers for something will purge it, but often enough it leaves little bits behind. Purge the drivers for both AMD GPUs and NVidia GPUs from the system, and then do a clean install of the Radeon drivers.

E: I see you used DDU to purge the Adrenalin poo poo from your system, but I'm unsure if you'd already done that for NVidia. If you didn't, try it. Failing that, OS refresh. Backup your poo poo and then reinstall Windows, as it's very likely something left over from the fact that you went from NVidia to AMD GPUs causing the issue.

Did you have NVidia Broadcast or anything related to NVenc or other NVidia specific software installed on the system?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Increasing RAM by adding another couple of DIMMs could actually hurt performance. The CPU memory controller has to work harder and consequently the memory clocks it can run at are lower. Apparently Zen4s are especially susceptible.

It feels like every generation of computer is hosed over by running four sticks of RAM. I was going to replace my 3700X because of this poo poo. gently caress.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

orange juche posted:

When you swapped the 3070ti for the 7900xtx, did you use DDU to clean every trace of NVidia software from your PC? Nvidia leaves some poo poo in your registry and system files that is not purged by the NVidia uninstaller. Swapping from NVidia to AMD, or vice versa can cause weird/sporadic issues with clocks and performance if you don't run DDU.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-tags/download-ddu.html

We would all like to believe that uninstalling the drivers for something will purge it, but often enough it leaves little bits behind. Purge the drivers for both AMD GPUs and NVidia GPUs from the system, and then do a clean install of the Radeon drivers.

E: I see you used DDU to purge the Adrenalin poo poo from your system, but I'm unsure if you'd already done that for NVidia. If you didn't, try it. Failing that, OS refresh. Backup your poo poo and then reinstall Windows, as it's very likely something left over from the fact that you went from NVidia to AMD GPUs causing the issue.

Did you have NVidia Broadcast or anything related to NVenc or other NVidia specific software installed on the system?

I used DDU in safemode to remove all traces of Nvidia software. I also ended up actually doing a whole OS reinstall about two weeks ago anyway. Part of me wonders if I've just got some strange setting toggled somewhere buried under several menus that's causing this to happen.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Another possibility is that since the 5900X is a multi-CCD CPU the game could be hopping between CCDs. Try pinning the game to cores only across a single CCD and see if it smooths out.

I just attempted this with Process Lasso, and started having the stuttering again. FWIW it also did this when I disabled the second CCD entirely in Ryzen Master.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

I used DDU in safemode to remove all traces of Nvidia software. I also ended up actually doing a whole OS reinstall about two weeks ago anyway. Part of me wonders if I've just got some strange setting toggled somewhere buried under several menus that's causing this to happen.

I just attempted this with Process Lasso, and started having the stuttering again. FWIW it also did this when I disabled the second CCD entirely in Ryzen Master.

On the OS reinstall, did you reinstall the Nvidia drivers/3070ti under the reinstall, or has it been living wholly on the 7900XTX? Also, do you use multiple monitors?

E: There's also apparently a compositor thing that Microsoft added a couple years back that can cause weird interactions with GPUs called Multi-Plane Overlay, which allows Windows to continue displaying things that are not in focus in the background.

https://github.com/RedDot-3ND7355/MPO-GPU-FIX

Apparently it can gently caress up people on most AMD cards from 6000 series up, and also Nvidia RTX 3000 series cards. I've never had the issue with my RTX 3080, but since the problem and the fix was literally discovered by NVidia of all things, it is apparently a thing.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 27, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

orange juche posted:

On the OS reinstall, did you reinstall the Nvidia drivers/3070ti under the reinstall, or has it been living wholly on the 7900XTX?

Sorry, the OS reinstall was post-7900 XTX installation.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/_snoopytech_/status/1651354672081272834?s=20

apparently they've been leaking a lot of stuff about the ally but who knows
$699 would be a great price

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Branch Nvidian is a pro-tier username, dang

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Have you checked temps for CPU/GPU? And see what the CPU/GPU reports the current limit is (power limit/thermal/current/VRM etc) while gaming?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Branch Nvidian is a pro-tier username, dang

Even more ironic since they don't have any NVidia hardware in their PC now. They drank the red koolaid and that poo poo was poison.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

Lmao RIP Ayaneo

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cygni posted:

Have you checked temps for CPU/GPU? And see what the CPU/GPU reports the current limit is (power limit/thermal/current/VRM etc) while gaming?

CPU temp 74-75C. Thermal limit is 90C.
GPU temps 63C edge. 75C junction. Limits should be whatever the default limit set by AMD are.

orange juche posted:

Even more ironic since they don't have any NVidia hardware in their PC now. They drank the red koolaid and that poo poo was poison.

Yeah, the irony is not lost on me.

I'm starting to think I just need to reinstall FFXIV again and see if maybe something in one of the game files is busted and causing this, since I don't really seem to be having the issue in anything else.

Edit: yeah, I'm going to do another reinstall of FFXIV and see if it's just a config file that got hosed up causing it. Will report back once all the patches and every thing have been reinstalled.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 27, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Snapdragon/status/1651273744160112676?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Yeah I'll be getting one

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

£700 and dealing with ASUS made software, hmmm. Don't think I'll be regretting my 512GB Deck purchase.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ijyt posted:

£700 and dealing with ASUS made software, hmmm. Don't think I'll be regretting my 512GB Deck purchase.

Yup just wait for one of the chinese companies to make one that doesn't have weird ASUS bloatware and is also £100 cheaper, with better RAM or storage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Something tells me that's not gonna happen. Asus is pulling some strings and is perhaps producing this at a large enough scale to be able to undercut all of the chinese handhelds thus far, offering a vastly better value than anything else on the market. I don't see the chinese manufacturers suddenly being able to counter with even better values.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ijyt posted:

It's Asus so you'll get little to no post-release support too. Not to the same extent as Steam deck

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's Asus so you'll get little to no post-release support too. Not to the same extent as Steam deck

Soon to be month 3 of waiting for my motherboard to be repaired, good luck to anyone who needs to RMA the Ally lol.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
surely they'll just need the right bios firmware to keep from exploding

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol all the critiques of Asus support are applicable and even worse with the small Chinese handheld makers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just spatial upscaling unfortunately, it's their take on something like FSR1