Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Any word on Daioujou coming to switch?
They haven't announced any platforms yet, but all the gameplay they've shown has been on PS4. I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up on Switch, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
It's questionable - they commented previously that the Switch couldn't credibly handle emulating Batrider, so DOJ seems unlikely. Fingers hella crossed though

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

It's questionable - they commented previously that the Switch couldn't credibly handle emulating Batrider, so DOJ seems unlikely. Fingers hella crossed though

Pretty sure they were referring to the playstation regarding Batrider which is still a bizarre statement by them. Anyways after Esprade sold so well on the Switch they expressed regret not doing a Switch port for Garegga/Ketsui. That’s why I can’t imagine them skipping over the Switch moving forward.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Good to know! It's a drat shame those two missed the Switch. I've come so close to shelling out for an old PS4 just for those two

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

beer gas canister posted:

Good to know! It's a drat shame those two missed the Switch. I've come so close to shelling out for an old PS4 just for those two

There’s also the Sorcer Striker and Dangun Feveron ports on there if any of those are of any interest to you.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Got my ESP Ra.De. Psi on Tuesday this week. A good game, and man there's just so much detailed information in the Shottriggers releases.

Banged out a 1CC on Super Easy (which really does mean Super Easy, my first death was at the final boss) just to unlock Alice Master, and played a few credits with her, but didn't do noticeably better than with any of the others.

So with ESP acquired the only remaining Cave shmups I don't own in any form, digital or physical, are DoDonPachi, Dangun Feveron, and Ketsui. With the caveat that I won't buy a version I can't play on any system I own, DDP I could technically get the PlayStation version of, I don't own any of the systems Dangun has been ported to, and Ketsui... I can't play NTSC games on my X360 unless I mod it, so currently not something I can just get. The closest would be Death Label on the DS. Okay, technically I do own the Switch port of the mobile port, but that doesn't really count and was was rougher than the DDPDOJ mobile version, which was surprisingly good for what it was.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

KennyMan666 posted:

Got my ESP Ra.De. Psi on Tuesday this week. A good game, and man there's just so much detailed information in the Shottriggers releases.

Banged out a 1CC on Super Easy (which really does mean Super Easy, my first death was at the final boss) just to unlock Alice Master, and played a few credits with her, but didn't do noticeably better than with any of the others.

So with ESP acquired the only remaining Cave shmups I don't own in any form, digital or physical, are DoDonPachi, Dangun Feveron, and Ketsui. With the caveat that I won't buy a version I can't play on any system I own, DDP I could technically get the PlayStation version of, I don't own any of the systems Dangun has been ported to, and Ketsui... I can't play NTSC games on my X360 unless I mod it, so currently not something I can just get. The closest would be Death Label on the DS. Okay, technically I do own the Switch port of the mobile port, but that doesn't really count and was was rougher than the DDPDOJ mobile version, which was surprisingly good for what it was.

The esprade port rules solely for the arranged soundtrack alone. The hit box display is great too. So which character you leaning towards for the 1cc?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

We'll see if I'll play enough to even have a shot at that, but... not sure. I think Iori is my favourite, but I believe Jb might actually be the best one. Gotta test out Alice Master more though, since she has both focused forwards AND spread shot.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Social Animal posted:

There’s also the Sorcer Striker and Dangun Feveron ports on there if any of those are of any interest to you.

And they should be because they rule.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The next Touhou shmup was announced, Touhou Jyuuouen ~ Unfinished Dream of All Living Ghost. A VS shmup this time, for the first time since 2005's Phantasmagoria of Flower View. 19 character slots, five revealed, and there's definitely an animal theme going on. Demo's coming on Reitatisai in May.

Definitely looks like it could be fun, and please let there not be any EX attacks that go through the playfield divider like Sakuya's knives in PoFV.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

KennyMan666 posted:

The next Touhou shmup was announced, Touhou Jyuuouen ~ Unfinished Dream of All Living Ghost. A VS shmup this time, for the first time since 2005's Phantasmagoria of Flower View. 19 character slots, five revealed, and there's definitely an animal theme going on. Demo's coming on Reitatisai in May.

Definitely looks like it could be fun, and please let there not be any EX attacks that go through the playfield divider like Sakuya's knives in PoFV.

Excited about it. Loaded up PoFV after the announcement and that game is still a total blast to play.

Also sounds like the demo's just going to be on Steam too

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Lowest price ever for Crimzon Clover on Switch: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/crimzon-clover-world-explosion

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Can you play those without understanding the language or are there translation patches? They look neat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Can you play those without understanding the language or are there translation patches? They look neat.
The Touhou games? There are community-made translation patches of varying quality, accessible via THCRAP.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Kins posted:

The Touhou games? There are community-made translation patches of varying quality, accessible via THCRAP.

I took like a decade off from paying attention to Touhou games and in that time people came up with a slick automated patcher that just finds every game you have and spits out shortcuts to run them in English all in like 60 seconds. It's really impressive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you own Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender on Steam, check your library - they're bringing the enhanced console port, Aqua Kitty UDX, to Steam and giving it to everyone who owns the original game for free. Which is awful nice of them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

R-type final 3 for ps5 comes out this week. I'm really curious to see if they offer an upgrade discount and how much new content it really adds. I'm sure I'm better off just sticking with my ps4 copy.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

The Kins posted:

If you own Aqua Kitty: Milk Mine Defender on Steam, check your library - they're bringing the enhanced console port, Aqua Kitty UDX, to Steam and giving it to everyone who owns the original game for free. Which is awful nice of them.

One of the most underrated soundtracks in indie games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYK5AKpIog

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ineffiable posted:

R-type final 3 for ps5 comes out this week. I'm really curious to see if they offer an upgrade discount and how much new content it really adds. I'm sure I'm better off just sticking with my ps4 copy.

I am a bit confused, I thought that R type final 3 was an upgrade on top of final 2?

Anyway ps plus has it in their game catalog so I am checking that out. Seems cool so far.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"R-Type Final 3" is the feature-complete version of R-Type Final 2 - it's not a distinct game, it's a literal name change.

"R-Type Final 3 Evolved" is a PS5-only version of the game with seven exclusive stages, a little VR-compatible sequence and a quasi-Playstation Home lobby (and those last two things aren't going to be present/complete at launch and will be added later). It also comes with one set of DLC, but not all of it.

PS4 saves and DLC purchases will transfer to Evolved, but I don't think there's any sort of upgrade/base purchase discount.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

R-type final 3 evolved is out now for ps5. Doesn't look like there's any upgrade discount. All dlc transfers but you have to claim it again. It's also coming in at a hefty $50 so..... Waiting for a sale on this.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Irem collections announced for all consoles:
https://www.iningames.com/games/irem-collection-vol-1/
Volume 1 of 5 has Image Fight, Image Fight 2, and X-Multiply.

All I really want is R-Type Delta.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

bees x1000 posted:

Saw that, I'm curious how the pricing will come out. $20 or less would be fine with me but I feel like it's gonna be $30 each so I'll wait for a 50% off sale.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

bees x1000 posted:

Who's doing the port job? If it's M2 I'll pick it up

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Who's doing the port job? If it's M2 I'll pick it up
It's credited to Tozai Games, who you might know from R-Type Dimensions and a horde of Lode Runner and Spelunker games.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Good, the DotEmu Irem mess from 10+ years ago is getting replaced.

Hopefully Raiden Fighters is next.

e: Image Fight 2 is interesting because it's a PC-Engine CD exclusive, AFAIK.

e2: I got the easiest RetroAchievements badge last night - Astro Warrior on Sega Master System. Took me 18 minutes and 2 credits. I can see why Sega put it on combo cartridges: there's only 3 stages. A teeny tiny game. Although the 2nd loop was decently challenging, and I assume it loops forever and potentially gets harder each loop, so this is probably geared more towards scoring. If I got a SMS in '87 or whenever, I probably would've been happy with Astro Warrior/Hang-On as a pack-in.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 25, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

bees x1000 posted:

I'm in, Inin stuff tends to be cheap with strictly limited doing an expanded more expensive version - will be interesting to follow

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Image Fight and X Multiply are fun games but I’ll pass. Hard to justify paying for rom dumps with no additional features.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Hopefully they do something about the fact the original arcades ran at 55hz too - I bought the Arcade Archives version of Image Fight and couldn't bear the constant juddering.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

uiruki posted:

Hopefully they do something about the fact the original arcades ran at 55hz too - I bought the Arcade Archives version of Image Fight and couldn't bear the constant juddering.

There isn't a good way around this, unfortunately. My PC monitor syncs fine at 50hz but 55 makes it choke. I imagine most modern TVs are the same. You could force the game to update at 50 or 60 but this changes the speed of both the graphics and audio. I've heard the Raiden Fighters Aces port devs did some kind of special display programming to handle the SPI's weird-rear end refresh on early LCDs, but I've never played it so I don't know exactly what they did. Maybe a frame-blending routine? The downside of that is blurry output.

Maybe someday, someone, somewhere, will burn a bunch of money making omni-sync OLED IPS panels to sell to a handful of arcade enthusiasts. :allears:

Until then, I guess look into a MiSTer/PVM setup or buy an arcade cabinet import a candy cab.

e: I forgot about VRR displays, maybe using one of those would work? I've never used one so I don't know how they handle stuff like 55hz retro resolutions.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 27, 2023

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
You can get unusual frame rates out of any display with VRR - one of the first things I did when I got my first Gsync monitor was play R-Type.

The Mister has a feature to activate VRR too if you dive around in INI files and it works pretty well on my LG CX. Hopefully they’ll do that on the PS5 and Xbox at least.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 27, 2023

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Beaten while I was editing. So VRR has to be turned on via application? Can you force it on in the GPU control panel for applications that don't officially support it?

Guessing if you buy that comp on console, if it doesn't explicitly support VRR, you're out of luck.

Do any console games ever use it at all?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Ofecks posted:

Beaten while I was editing. So VRR has to be turned on via application? Can you force it on in the GPU control panel for applications that don't officially support it?

Guessing if you buy that comp on console, if it doesn't explicitly support VRR, you're out of luck.

On PC and to a large extent on Xbox and PS5 in my experience, it just works as long as the app is putting out the relevant frame rate and you’ve activated VRR at the system level. There are definitely exceptions though, especially on PS5. Hopefully they’re taking that into account.

Elden Ring is an example of a game which really benefited from VRR because of the trouble it had hitting 60fps.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I'm in, Inin stuff tends to be cheap with strictly limited doing an expanded more expensive version - will be interesting to follow

Strictly limited version of this has some console versions of image fight (pce and nes) and a manual etc.

strictly limited item collection

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Dariusburst CS is on steam for 70% off!

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1652266414869454850

Hell yeah let’s go!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Western physical copies of Akai Katana are up on LRG for pre-order until June, so it'll probably hit the non-JP Switch/PS4 digital stores after that. Or you could just get it on Steam right now.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Hope so! Been really wanting Akai, to the point where ive been checking the eshop regularly.
I know i could have bought its physical release for about half a year but the convenience of having it digital is unbeatable.

I have also gotten burnt before from importing exptic expensive shmups.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Gunvein on Switch got a release date, May 11:

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/05/gunvein-for-switch-launches-may-11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Its time to be honest with myself, i will never do anything with all the old consoles and shmups i have, so might as well sell off the stuff i have.

Where would i go to sell PS2 shmups from JP? Like espgaluda, mushi, etc. (they are all still sealed) Are there any go-to FB groups or similar? (Im not going anywhere near Ebay)

PAL PS2 and GC games?