Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

zone posted:

what the hell even is that crust

I'm still not back at the hotel to do a full review but yeah, as someone else guessed, it's a squid ink crust. Here's an app-translated photo of the menu listing:

Unrelated to Bomb Pizza here's something called a "cream bagel" from the coffee shop next to where we had pork bbq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

thiccabod posted:

Unrelated to Bomb Pizza here's something called a "cream bagel" from the coffee shop next to where we had pork bbq:

Was that extracted from a cadaver?

thiccabod posted:

It'll probably be a number of hours before I can do an actual write-up but suffice it to say, my innards have been bombed. I'ma just leave this here for now

Same question.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm Gorgon Zola

Name used by Emile Zola for a short period of time when he tried to break into the fantasy serial market

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Add burrati cheese and enjoy it

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

thiccabod posted:

It'll probably be a number of hours before I can do an actual write-up but suffice it to say, my innards have been bombed. I'ma just leave this here for now

Typing this up between gnarly farts but I've eaten so much on this trip I can't be 100% certain if they're the fault of the PIZZA BOMB. Anyway, onto the 'za

The Pizza Bomb in all its flaming glory. Brought to you by The Place: a local Italian restaurant chain with three or four locations throughout Seoul, South Korea. For anyone that missed the earlier posts about this monstrosity; this is how it's brought to you: as an ominous black orb that is then lit aflame beside your table and allowed to burn for a few seconds before the server blows out the flames by using a little clipboard as a fan. They then use kitchen shears to cut off the crispy dome and "slice" the pizza into 8 extremely thin and moist sections.

Pictured: pizza

Computer, enhance!

More!

No, less, I'm sorry I didn't mean it

Alright, so here's the thing. And I hate like hell to have to say this: it wasn't quite as bad as it looks. Is it a good pizza? Absolutely not. Not by any human metric. Is it good food? Also, no. Was it as bad as these photos suggest? It really wasn't. There were even certain aspects that could've worked if some (admittedly drastic) changes were made.

THINGS ABOUT THIS PIZZA ON NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

+ walnuts and cranberries are delicious
- why are they on a goddamn pizza?
+ thin crust, lots of cheese
- literal paper-thin crust and far too much cheese to be supported by it. This might've had the poorest structural integrity of any pizza I've ever eaten. The cheese: crust ratio is simply untenable:

A New York-style fold wasn't enough to keep it from drooping. Even folding the tip backwards toward the crust and then doing a NY fold didn't work. Utterly limp. Impressively limp. Impossibly limp.

+ but you know what? The outer ring of crust that actually resembled a baked bread product (albeit in an extremely off-putting color) was actually really, really good.

Nice and chewy, slightly salty - it deserved to be part of a better pizza. They served three dipping sauces with this thing: ranch (lol of course), salsa, and honey. Taking the outer crust and dipping it in a bit of the honey was delicious

- the cheese. The cheeses. In addition to there being just too much cheese for the thin little wiener crust to support, part of the quattro formaggi dumped onto this pizza is a stank rear end gorgonzola. Making you look at this picture again to remind you:

I'm not a stinky cheese person. I made the mistake of picking, as my first slice, one that has a glob of gorg near its tip:

So my first bite of this thing featured a bunch of hot, wet gorgonzola that, to my palette, results in the unmistakable aftertaste of literal vomit. I almost didn't have a second bite. I mentioned my initial reaction to my fiance and she was like, "oh, it's bad, but not vomitty bad," and we looked it over and realized it was because I got the stinky cheese but she had avoided it.

From that point on we both avoided all the moldy cheese slices and it was... fine? It was really just cheese, cranberries, and walnuts which isn't a bad combo. If they thickened the crust, ditched the gorgonzola, made it smaller, and served it as a dessert with that honey dip I think it'd actually be pretty great.

Still got those gnarly farts though

thiccabod fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 26, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Telluric Whistler posted:

If I had to guess: squid ink or bamboo charcoal

Trendy

I'm imagining it's even more horrifying when it's served as a quivering black dome leaking steam, though

Oh, I should have guessed it might be something like that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol at all that cheese in the cross-section. No sauce?

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Depends. Does oil from the melted cheese count as a sauce? Because if not then the answer is no

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Soju Haus in NYC had(/has) this menu item called Spicy BBQ Chicken & Cheese, which struck me as being like a crustless Korean pizza that was heavily based on kimchi.

It was really good, but mostly because it made no pretense of structural integrity

itry
Aug 23, 2019

thiccabod posted:

They then use kitchen shears to cut off the crispy dome and "slice" the pizza into 8 extremely thin and moist sections.

What happened to the dome?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

They take it out the back and bury it in the ground, as a peace offering to the pizza spirits.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I figure they recycle it as a base for the next bomb and that's why they're so thin.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The setting it on fire for only a few seconds always strikes me as so pointless. Is it purely for spectacle?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There's a Greek dish (Saganaki?) that's basically just a fried wedge of cheese, but the allure of it is that they bring it to your table and light it on fire before dousing it in lemon juice and serving it to you.

So yeah, people like that kind of spectacle I think. I wonder how many Greek restaurants have burned down because of an inexperienced server torching the Saganaki wrong.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

itry posted:

What happened to the dome?

They just set it on the table. I broke off a piece to try it but it was so dry and bland that I assume it's not meant to be eaten

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

thiccabod posted:

Typing this up between gnarly farts but I've eaten so much on this trip I can't be 100% certain if they're the fault of the PIZZA BOMB. Anyway, onto the 'za

thank you for your service.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I regret to inform you all that this is AI Generated

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

deep dish peat moss posted:

If AI made it, AI can make a recipe for it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP8tGRmSsDw
Youtuber reviews a bad romcom that's Romeo and Juliet but about pizza places. Posting mostly because of how absolutely terrible the movie pizza looks.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

crosspostin' because I feel like we are once again bumping up against the line of there needing to be Some Pizza Rules

PurpleXVI posted:

I will never comprehend what some people choose to eat and how.

also Korean lava dome pizza goon should get a gang tag for their sacrifice on behalf of the thread.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

thiccabod posted:

They just set it on the table. I broke off a piece to try it but it was so dry and bland that I assume it's not meant to be eaten

Oh, well. The Mestre thanks you for your service

zone
Dec 6, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

Looks like the kind of pizza an eldritch horror would consider to their taste, that much is certain.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Gorgonzola+walnuts+cranberries is to me a pretty classic list of salad toppings so once you've got two of them on a pizza the third coming along for the ride doesn't seem that surprising.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

sinnesloeschen posted:

plinkey would u

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
A warrior's pizza. I eat this after combat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/FootyScran/status/1651567120126300160
https://twitter.com/imLeor/status/1643799284645494787

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://i.imgur.com/2ciOfJu.mp4

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Least Unusual Chinese Pizza

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Getting more towards the quiche side of things, but the general idea seems like it could make a good breakfast for a couple of people. Might want to cut up the sausages a bit more then cook them for minute or two first to get some browning happening on all sides, before pouring in the eggs, but all the ingredients seem solid. Although a bit of bell pepper and tomatoes in with the veg, and some more spices wouldn't go astray.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"sausages"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i mean technically they are but it seems kind of obscene to stick a hot dog into the same category with a really good chorizo or andoille. we need some sausage reform.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A hot dog isn't allowed to be a sausage but it's fine for it to be a pudding. what a country

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Did we ever find out what 'the hotdog-flavoured water' is?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Did we ever find out what 'the hotdog-flavoured water' is?

It's the Wurstwasser from the glass jar the hotdogs cone in, duh.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If a Chicago deep dish pizza is a pizza and a white pizza is a pizza then a quiche or a German onion pie are pizza.
Calling a frittata a pizza is only a small step further.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/caylenb/status/1654224111395282944

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Replace the hot dog with a better sausage and you have a pretty decent quiche

Edit: Let me clarify that it's not an amazing quiche it's a thoroughly decent, edible one that's probably unremarkable but good enough.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 5, 2023

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's a Quichzza, or a Frittatzza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

new mestre just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebrwQ8tOOFo