Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't see how Tucker manages to get his audience to switch to podcasts or YouTube rants or whatever. The average age was pushing 70 or something if memory serves. Trying to get that audience to figure out how to do something besides use the remote for the TV is a not insignificant task one-on-one. Doing it across the entire population? Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't see how Tucker manages to get his audience to switch to podcasts or YouTube rants or whatever

Well here is how he tries... he posted a video tonight:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tucker-carlson-fox-news-firing-video-b2327757.html

The ol' "Everyone lies to you, I'm the only one who can tell you the truth" schtick.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Kind of owns that the precedent that allows this is Citizens United (i.e. corporations have a constitutionally protected right to free speech).

To be clear, the Contracts, Takings, and Due Process complaints do not in any way rely on Citizens United.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So Glenn Beck was talking about Tucker Carlson and Fox News on his radio show this morning, and if he's telling the truth (which is a big assumption, admittedly), Murdoch getting freaked out about the religious stuff seems to be true. Beck claims that a bit before he got fired from Fox News, he got told to stop mentioning God in his shows. He just nodded and said okay and didn't think much about it, and then three months or so later he says he got called into a meeting where they were like "We told you to stop mentioning God on your program. Do you know how many times you said 'God' in your show?" and his response was to kinda laugh and say "You counted them?" To which they went "You said it 92 times! We told you to stop it!"

Comedy option: Murdoch is actually super religious and is worried that God will judge him for Fox News presenting political positions as Christian doctrine and theology.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Nah, he's not American. The obsession with Christianity in the modern age is limited to America and a few weird kooks we make fun of everywhere else.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

aventari posted:

Well here is how he tries... he posted a video tonight:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/tucker-carlson-fox-news-firing-video-b2327757.html

The ol' "Everyone lies to you, I'm the only one who can tell you the truth" schtick.

... am I being threatened?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Harvey Mantaco posted:

... am I being threatened?

You can run... you can hide...

But eventually, you'll get Tuckered.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

So Glenn Beck was talking about Tucker Carlson and Fox News on his radio show this morning, and if he's telling the truth (which is a big assumption, admittedly), Murdoch getting freaked out about the religious stuff seems to be true. Beck claims that a bit before he got fired from Fox News, he got told to stop mentioning God in his shows. He just nodded and said okay and didn't think much about it, and then three months or so later he says he got called into a meeting where they were like "We told you to stop mentioning God on your program. Do you know how many times you said 'God' in your show?" and his response was to kinda laugh and say "You counted them?" To which they went "You said it 92 times! We told you to stop it!"

Comedy option: Murdoch is actually super religious and is worried that God will judge him for Fox News presenting political positions as Christian doctrine and theology.
No, Murdoch *is* God. Have you ever seen the movie Network?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DSdw7dHjs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And then Beck and Carlson are the populist types who start going Howard Beale on everybody and losing it and getting spiritual and they have to face the choice of whether to change gears and preach "God's" corporate cosmology. Tucker didn't have poor ratings though but the big-name advertisers stayed away which is why you mostly saw the MyPillow guy and other "CALL-NOW!!!" direct response ads which don't bring in as much money.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Oh Beck is all in on the religious stuff, the other day he was talking to some lady who runs an event called the First Landing project or something and he was talking about how America needs to make a new covenant with God. It was some incredible white supremacist poo poo too because the lady was talking about how "The people who landed at Jamestown dedicated this land to God, and when I say the land I mean the entire continent, this is God's land due to their covenant." But yeah, Beck is constantly talking about repentance and the need to fight against the forces of evil because as God's people they are called to be the city on the hill and all that jazz.

I think the only sponsors I ever hear Beck shill are Patriot Mobile, Preborn, MyPillow, My Patriot Supply, and his real estate agent website.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing the liberal outlets leave the door open for Tucker Carlson reminded me how the media moves in a pack when it comes to brahmin journalists and pundits like him. At the end of the day, the prospect of Tucker actually have to get a real job is too frightening for everyone else, because it means they're vulnerable too, so they'll never really slam that door shut.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh Beck is all in on the religious stuff, the other day he was talking to some lady who runs an event called the First Landing project or something and he was talking about how America needs to make a new covenant with God. It was some incredible white supremacist poo poo too because the lady was talking about how "The people who landed at Jamestown dedicated this land to God, and when I say the land I mean the entire continent, this is God's land due to their covenant." But yeah, Beck is constantly talking about repentance and the need to fight against the forces of evil because as God's people they are called to be the city on the hill and all that jazz.

I think the only sponsors I ever hear Beck shill are Patriot Mobile, Preborn, MyPillow, My Patriot Supply, and his real estate agent website.

Can anyone here give me a tl'dr on beck? It seems like he became way more popular than O'Reilly or Tucker with a brief moment where he seemed non-partisan with Samantha Bee but then dropped off the map? What the hell happened?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Can anyone here give me a tl'dr on beck? It seems like he became way more popular than O'Reilly or Tucker with a brief moment where he seemed non-partisan with Samantha Bee but then dropped off the map? What the hell happened?

Off the top of my head, so may be forgetting parts, and in wrong order.

Radio Shock Jock to begin with. Phoned up a guy to taunt him over his wife having a miscarriage.
Then went into Right Wing Radio.
Became popular post 9/11 with the Tea Party movement, would dress up in founder style wigs and pretend to be all the founding fathers at once.
Started the crazy chalkboard times during this, he would draw flow charts linking whatever democrat/left wing thing to Soros or Iraq or whatever lizard evil baddy du jour.
Started the 'Im only asking questions' meme. And was stupidly popular with the old folk demographic.

Then hooked up with Goldline, a coin selling company, to prepare for the apocalypse.
Goldline turned out to be a massive scam, you would need the apocalypse to just break even for what you bought the coins for.
Final straw was when he did a 'special' where 'Obama is the REAL racist here' which led to a lot of advertisers pulling ads from his show.
He was let go soon after, started his own show at Blaze, now a fraction of his former self.
Didn't suck off Trump for 2016, so was shunned even further.

I forget when he did this, but tried to start a 9-12 movement, 'lets get back to that comrade feeling we had for each other on that day' but reality wise was just right wing guns, jesus, and do what we tell you.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 27, 2023

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

Radio Shock Jock to begin with. Phoned up a guy to taunt him over his wife having a miscarriage.
Became popular post 9/11 with the Tea Party movement, would dress up in founder style wigs and pretend to be all the founding fathers at once.
Started the crazy chalkboard times during this, he would draw flow charts linking whatever democrat/left wing thing to Soros or Iraq or whatever lizard evil baddy du jour.
Started the 'Im only asking questions' meme. And was stupidly popular with the old folk demographic.

Then hooked up with Goldline, a coin selling company, to prepare for the apocalypse.
Goldline turned out to be a massive scam, you would need the apocalypse to just break even for what you bought the coins for.
Final straw was when he did a 'special' where 'Obama is the REAL racist here' which led to a lot of advertisers pulling ads from his show.
He was let go soon after, started his own show at Blaze, now a fraction of his former self.

I forget when he did this, but tried to start a 9-12 movement, 'lets get back to that comrade feeling we had for each other on that day' but reality wise was just right wing guns, jesus, and do what we tell you.

:lol: don’t forget that he was on CNN for a time too

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Glen Beck is also an adult convert to Mormonism.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PT6A posted:

Nah, he's not American. The obsession with Christianity in the modern age is limited to America and a few weird kooks we make fun of everywhere else.

Australia exports a lot of religious nutjobs to the US.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Brian Kilmeade not doing so good with the audience that tunes in for Fox News version of the 5 minutes hate I see.

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't see how Tucker manages to get his audience to switch to podcasts or YouTube rants or whatever. The average age was pushing 70 or something if memory serves. Trying to get that audience to figure out how to do something besides use the remote for the TV is a not insignificant task one-on-one. Doing it across the entire population? Good luck.

Yeah I've really noticed that generations extreme aversion to being asked to learn new things, having to think for themselves in even the simplest of decision making scenarios, and do things like I don't know, simply read and interpret information on their own. Somebody has to do it for them a frankly concerningly large amount of the time and on average being asked to do these things for themselves just makes them really loving angry and pissy. It's actually quite something to behold and can't really be attributed just to age and ability. They're just kind of lazy and stubborn and used to making other people do it for them. I'm kind of at the phase of gently caress the boomer generation on average myself despite not seeing it that way even a few years ago. It's almost to the point where I'm kind of surprised when I come across a boomer in public now and they aren't behaving like an entitled shithead in some capacity.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm literally witnessing an example of this on the bus. Just utter refusal to be aware of a schedule and just shouting into a phone on a bus for everyone to here. gently caress everyone else that isn't me and may be put off by my behavior but also do my thinking for me basically is the average outcome for anyone over 70 more often than not these days.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Why is crowder so sweaty these days. Like in a literal sense just somewhat under siege by moistness

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

happyhippy posted:

He was a never-Trumper, but he saw the writing on the wall and made a showy bit of putting on a red MAGA hat saying liberals went too far. IIRC the straw that broke the camel’s back was liberals “defending MS-13” by pointing out that they were being used to smear all immigrants.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Staluigi posted:

Why is crowder so sweaty these days. Like in a literal sense just somewhat under siege by moistness

Crowder I think has some legitimate health problems, like things that can actually kill him that are also not even faults of his lifestyle or other choices, just genetic bombs he has.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AtomikKrab posted:

Crowder I think has some legitimate health problems, like things that can actually kill him that are also not even faults of his lifestyle or other choices, just genetic bombs he has.

One can only hope

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's either the broken heart (medical), broken heart (divorce), or all the dog cum he chugs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
wiki says he has pectus excavatum, a condition that's exactly what it sounds like, with an associated image I didn't particularly need to see this early in the morning. It's apparently pretty treatable if addressed while young, but he had it treated in 2021 and there were severe subsequent complications.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Glen Beck burnt out pretty massively at one point, but his buildup and peak of popularity was pretty insane. I feel like he (briefly) surpassed O'Reilly, Hannity, and Tucker at their respective peaks, but he let it go to his head and started crying and becoming way too overtly religious/apocalyptic with his stuff. Even my conservative family members call him crazy, but eat up everything else.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 27, 2023

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Staluigi posted:

I've seen comments that he started steroids, but I can't say that's a fact.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Didn't Beck also have a brief moment of "c'mon, we're all Americans here, left or right it doesn't matter" weak centrism pre-2016? I seem to remember him trying to pump the brakes before Trump came along and let him play the role of a principled aw-shucks conservative for a bit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

Glen Beck burnt out pretty massively at one point, but his buildup and peak of popularity was pretty insane. I feel like he (briefly) surpassed O'Reilly, Hannity, and Tucker at their respective peaks, but he let it go to his head and started crying and becoming way too overtly religious/apocalyptic with his stuff. Even my conservative family members call him crazy, but eat up everything else.

I think the beginning of the end for Beck was his big dumb rally at the Lincoln Memorial where he unveiled his "100 Year Plan" to save America from... Woodrow Wilson, or some poo poo? And then a month later Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert did their Rally To Restore Fear/Sanity basically going "Glenn Beck is a stupid crazy rear end in a top hat, don't be like Glenn Beck" and that kind of kicked off his death spiral. So now everyone still remembers (and mocks) Stewart and Colbert's mock rally, but completely forgets that it was in response to and making fun of Glenn Beck's 100% serious rally.

Dude's 100 Year Plan only lasted like 9 months.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Didn't Beck also have a brief moment of "c'mon, we're all Americans here, left or right it doesn't matter" weak centrism pre-2016? I seem to remember him trying to pump the brakes before Trump came along and let him play the role of a principled aw-shucks conservative for a bit.

Yeah that was all a con too to try and get his face back on TV, and it worked very briefly because rubes like Samantha Bee and Lawrence O'Donnell bought into it, but at least O'Donnell had the wherewithal to realize about halfway through the interview that Beck was just being a huckster again and started pressing him on poo poo and ended it on "Well I hope you're serious about everything you said, but we'll see." And then Beck disappeared from public life again because he realized the jig was up.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

He also at one point tried to launch his own libertarian city.

quote:

The ambitious project, projected to cost over two billion dollars, has been heavily influenced by Walt Disney. As Glenn has been explaining throughout the week, Disneyland was originally intended to be a place where people would find happiness, inspiration, courage and hope. Over time, Walt Disney's original vision has been lost. While hundreds of thousands still flock to the town, it's become commercialized and the big dreams and the heart have been compromised.

Glenn believes that he can bring the heart and the spirit of Walt's early Disneyland ideas into reality. Independence, USA wouldn't be about rides and merchandise, but would be about community and freedom. The Marketplace would be a place where craftmen and artisan could open and run real small businesses and stores. The owners and tradesmen could hold apprenticeships and teach young people the skills and entrepreneurial spirit that has been lost in today's entitlement state.

There would also be an Media Center, where Glenn's production company would film television, movies, documentaries, and more. Glenn hoped to include scripted television that would challenge viewers without resorting to a loss of human decency. He also said it would be a place where aspiring journalists would learn how to be great reporters.

Across the lake, there would be a church modelled after The Alamo which would act as a multi-denominational mission center. The town will also have a working ranch where visitors can learn how to farm and work the land.

Independence would also be home to a Research and Development center where people would come to learn, innovate, educate, and create. There would be a theme park for people to recharge and have fun with their families.

People would also have the option to live in Independence, with a residential area where people of different incomes could all come together and be neighbors.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

He briefly tried to do the "let's all come together" grift with Samantha Bee immediately after Trump was elected, but it didn't take him long to figure out the real money was in getting aboard the Trump train

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Iirc he would regularly work himself up to the point of genuinely crying on national tv. This was to display how genuine/patriotic/faithful he was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Generic American posted:

I still love that this spawned an entire GBS thread of short stories about what an inherently bad idea this was, back when there was still real creative talent on SA and we were doing poo poo like the Skinwalker thread and Slenderman.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JosefStalinator posted:

Glen Beck burnt out pretty massively at one point, but his buildup and peak of popularity was pretty insane. I feel like he (briefly) surpassed O'Reilly, Hannity, and Tucker at their respective peaks
Yeah it's crazy, wasn't he also not even on in primetime, at like 5 PM? And he got up to almost-Tucker numbers, 3.4 million at his peak. I feel like Beck got a ratings boost because of the phenomenon of liberals tuning into RWM to gawk or get fired up, the era when half of "The Daily Show" was just recut Fox clips; that's pretty much dried up, because most of us can't stand to watch any of it anymore.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Generic American posted:

How could this have been called anything but Glen's Gulch

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mellow Seas posted:

that's pretty much dried up, because most of us can't stand to watch any of it anymore.

Apparently many of us can because a large part of Tucker's audience was libs tuning in to hate watch. Also, "look at these RW fuckers and their fuckery" is about 80% of left leaning Youtube content.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mellow Seas posted:

because most of us can't stand to watch any of it anymore.
so, about the thread you're posting in...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Another mega chud hopefully facing consequences as a result of his actions?

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1651645370898989057

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

World Famous W posted:

so, about the thread you're posting in...
Hah! I like this thread because I can get it pre-filtered, and I know others are suffering along with me. I can't even imagine the horror of watching Tucker, on TV, alone. Shudder.

I know the thread wouldn't work without the true masochists tracking down the content though, and I salute them. o7

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Glen Beck is also an adult convert to Mormonism.

because his wife is hot (and probably rich) for marriage reasons

Also he attacked Romney in 2012 for being on of those weird poly Mormon members so his apparently his conversion isnt very deep or good.

e: im pretty sure his futurama bender casino Blaze project was 100% dark money from some other regressive billionaire, but turns out having a media platform money blackhole. doublelly so if its some political platform and no other hooks. Beck let his ego and some dark money screw him out of a better longterm career path imo, but screw him

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Another mega chud hopefully facing consequences as a result of his actions?

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1651645370898989057

God, how many people, famous and obscure alike, have Ring doorbell/home security cameras done in now? I feel like the answer is "a lot" with "even more coming in the future".