Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jimbot posted:

I'd love to see that process because what gets printed on disc for some of these games isn't even remotely playable. Is it just "it can start up" and "doesn't cause the console to brick itself" or something? I rather physical copies just have a delayed release than to rely on day one patches. It's unacceptable.

The last CoD was like a ~70mb “hello world” on disc lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean you’re all not wrong or anything but why are we getting up in arms about this just now? Day 1 patches, full game not on disc, this has been standard for quite a while now

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khP047JyVXM

Its here

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

:chanpop:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Volte posted:

As far as I understand, day one patches are essentially inevitable because it can take weeks or months to have a game build certified for release on all the various platforms, so by the time it comes out, those additional weeks or months of dev time have been spent fixing issues in that "gold" version.

Yeah this is completely expected, the only difference is that they said they were going to fix any issues that crop up.

This gameplay trailer is a lot of custom camera angles and cuts that something tells me aren't going to be in the gameplay. Feels more like an in-engine cinematic trailer. Show me what the actual game is like! Wanna see what a full battle looks like.

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can’t help with the comparisons but from my experience you don’t gently caress around with the tv interface ever if you’re using the PS5 to stream. That being said the LGs have a great wiimote pointer system going and it seems pretty good to me.

Thanks for the reply! I am still looking but if I go with the LG I'll probably just plug in my Chromecast with GoogleTV (I have the 4k one already) to deal with the streaming shennanigans.

Still looking around for some thoughts about the gaming performance of Sony TVs... I'll make my decision soon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This looks so good. It'll be my first time playing - cannot wait!

firewalker posted:

Thanks for the reply! I am still looking but if I go with the LG I'll probably just plug in my Chromecast with GoogleTV (I have the 4k one already) to deal with the streaming shennanigans.

Still looking around for some thoughts about the gaming performance of Sony TVs... I'll make my decision soon.

LG are the best bang for your buck OLED's on the market - esp if you move up to the G3 series. C3 is here soon and is gonna be just as good!

But you don't have to take my word for it *Reading Rainbow melody*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYDfJpZKxk

Don't think Sony has released their 2023 models yet.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 27, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jimbot posted:

I'd love to see that process because what gets printed on disc for some of these games isn't even remotely playable. Is it just "it can start up" and "doesn't cause the console to brick itself" or something? I rather physical copies just have a delayed release than to rely on day one patches. It's unacceptable.
I don't think it's anything to do with physical copies, it's specifically the certification process to allow the games to go up on the storefronts at all. In the case of physical I guess the delay between submission and publishing (when the real game is on the disc at least) is even longer since I imagine it would have to be certified before even being submitted to the manufacturer.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Well I know what I’m asking my partner for for Christmas.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Is this sooner than expected or...???

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Finally

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It's up for pre order on all platforms, seems like the pre order gives you some kind of custom armor piece. Collector version comes with a mini core replica.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah for 400 lol I love me some AC but not 400 worth

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwDkLHVhEc

Video interview-y thing about Dark Cores armoured 4

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That's a neat concept for a collectible. A mech figurine plus "garage" to display it in.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

There's an account on Twitter (DoesItPlay1) that does extensive testing of disc-based games to see if they're playable/completable on an offline console without downloading any updates, using just the disc. Something like 80-85% are essentially fully playable with whatever launch issues were present (although some PS4 games from prior to late 2020 won't work properly on a PS5 without being patched, and some might not have PS4 Pro enhancements on disc either). The main games that aren't properly playable from disc are:

- Most Call of Duty games from the PS4 generation. I think Advanced Warfare (the Kevin Spacey one) was the last one with a playable campaign on-disc, and that was so long ago it had a feature-complete PS3 version.
- Online-only games, obviously. Stuff like Tom Clancy's The Division, Destiny, Overwatch...
- NBA 2K. At the very least, Sony seems to be strong-arming them into making full use of a 100 gig disc on PS5, so you don't have as much to download as Xbox.
- Jedi Survivor possibly, as it's a 144 gig game or some such size. It's still tbd what a disc on its own will get you, it might be fully playable but with lower quality textures, or cut off at a certain point.

There are also a few games that had notoriously buggy releases, like the vanilla version of The Witcher 3 (fortunately the "Game of the Year" edition is a later patch built-in and much better) and, of course, Cyberpunk 2077.

Most other games will work well enough and be playable start to finish and likely even capable of getting the Platinum trophy if there isn't an online component to that (although it's not uncommon for a game to have a bugged trophy at launch in some fashion).

On the Xbox side things are more dire. Game discs can only hold 50 gigs even if they're not meant to be Xbox One compatible, so e.g. you have to download close to 100 gigs for NBA 2K to be playable. Also, their last 3 major "flagship" games haven't had feature-complete discs (Halo: Infinite, MS Flight Simulator, Forza Horizon 5), and all require sizeable downloads to be playable at all.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 27, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Yeah this is completely expected, the only difference is that they said they were going to fix any issues that crop up.

This gameplay trailer is a lot of custom camera angles and cuts that something tells me aren't going to be in the gameplay. Feels more like an in-engine cinematic trailer. Show me what the actual game is like! Wanna see what a full battle looks like.

Game will be you spending about 30 minutes to 2 hours in the mech customization screen then about 15 minutes of fighting, finding out your loadout is poop and ill-suited for the combat arena before you go back to the mech customization menu again for another hour.

univbee posted:

There's an account on Twitter (DoesItPlay1) that does extensive testing of disc-based games to see if they're playable/completable on an offline console without downloading any updates, using just the disc. Something like 80-85% are essentially fully playable with whatever launch issues were present (although some PS4 games from prior to late 2020 won't work properly on a PS5 without being patched, and some might not have PS4 Pro enhancements on disc either). The main games that aren't properly playable from disc are:

- Most Call of Duty games from the PS4 generation. I think Advanced Warfare (the Kevin Spacey one) was the last one with a playable campaign on-disc, and that was so long ago it had a feature-complete PS3 version.
- Online-only games, obviously. Stuff like Tom Clancy's The Division, Destiny, Overwatch...
- NBA 2K. At the very least, Sony seems to be strong-arming them into making full use of a 100 gig disc on PS5, so you don't have as much to download as Xbox.
- Jedi Survivor possibly, as it's a 144 gig game or some such size. It's still tbd what a disc on its own will get you, it might be fully playable but with lower quality textures, or cut off at a certain point.

There are also a few games that had notoriously buggy releases, like the vanilla version of The Witcher 3 (fortunately the "Game of the Year" edition is a later patch built-in and much better) and, of course, Cyberpunk 2077.

Most other games will work well enough and be playable start to finish and likely even capable of getting the Platinum trophy if there isn't an online component to that (although it's not uncommon for a game to have a bugged trophy at launch in some fashion).

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for the info!

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

LG are the best bang for your buck OLED's on the market - esp if you move up to the G3 series. C3 is here soon and is gonna be just as good!

But you don't have to take my word for it *Reading Rainbow melody*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYDfJpZKxk

Don't think Sony has released their 2023 models yet.

Believe me when I say I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of reviews/impressions. There just was not anything definitive about the performance of Sony's sets on the gaming side for FPS and other games where the input lag really matters. I don't know if 17 ms at 4k/60 hz - 9.6 at 4k/120 (Sony) over 10.6 ms at 4k/60 hz - 5.9 at 4k/120 (LG) (according to Rtings but I've seen similar in other places) is even going to feel different... but I would prefer not having to buy a TV to find out! And as I do alot of movie watching if there is no noticeable difference, I'd rather go with the Sony.

I am aware this is all splitting hairs at this point.

Sony has not yet released their 2023 models but appart from a bit more brightness and a gamebar, there does not seem to be much new to justify getting an a80l over an a80k.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TBH I wouldn't want to pay the "Sony tax" on their TV's when the better deal is with LG or Samsung. And for Samsung their firmware is reportedly garbage but the panels are nice. That just leaves LG for myself. I've had a LED for almost 4 years and it's been pretty solid. Moving to OLED in the year or so. The interface is quick and works really well especially with their "wiimote". Plex, Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Crave (Canada's HBO provider) all are wonderful.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

sony oleds seem to be better for movies while lg oled seems to be better for gaming

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got an LG CX when that was the current hotness being recommended and I cannot even fathom that there are even better models of it available and/or coming out

LG gets my vote. Absolute banger set

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My Sony oled is just fine for gaming *boots up 25 year old game*

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sony has a bit better image processing but the panels themselves are directly from LG. :3:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked the Samsung I got but their software is designed by "The Joker" from the film The Joker

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

gently caress me I'm going away for almost a month after release :negative:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Never played an Armored Core game. That looks like Mechwarrior + Returnal + Dark Souls and I’m all in. drat what a trailer.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Never played an Armored Core game. That looks like Mechwarrior + Returnal + Dark Souls and I’m all in. drat what a trailer.

I thought Armored Core was basically Mechwarrior clunky robots but this looks more like Zone of the Enders and I am DOWN

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
the AC environments have a real PS3 era feel to them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My 77' LG CX is the best thing I've ever bought and i've bought some really nice cars and a house.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

holy poo poo

just like that, trailer and date out of nowhere zero notice. i knew there was a reason i couldn't sleep. looks like an extremely confident blend of AC1 and AC4.

this is the best gaming summer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aipsh posted:

So it really was Sekiro's success that kicked poo poo into gear. Bless the one-armed wolf.

Also, is it just me or does it also look like it has a NieR: Automata influence :eyepop:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aipsh posted:

Saying it now. Mechiro.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
just popping in to lol at the fact that Jedi Survivor is 44 gigs on Xbox Series S and 155 everywhere else. 110 gigabytes, over 2/3rds of the entire game's file size, just on Bigger Textures

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yesss! Game looks super fun, praise be miyazaki

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Fix posted:

Saying it now. Mechiro.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

mcmagic posted:

My 77' LG CX is the best thing I've ever bought and i've bought some really nice cars and a house.

The best thing I've ever bought..... is a ps5 :twisted:

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

fridge corn posted:

Is this sooner than expected or...???

For a crossgen PS4 game, probably not.

P.S. I've been listening to the Live A Live soundtracks and really enjoying them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

Saying it now. Mechiro.

:f5:

one-armed wanzer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gimme gimme gimme gimmie gommie gimmie gimmie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This looks incredible. Some of FROM Software's best work artistically, and that is an extremely high bar.