Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

BurningBeard posted:

OT1’s problems had a lot more to do with game structure and formula than anything inherent to the game itself. As long as you don’t mind how completely transparent and rigid it is about its structure, it’s a perfectly fine game.

II outshined it by a tremendous amount, but I don’t think the first game is bad by any means.

It's like Tales of Zestiria. Certainly Berseria was a better game, but I'm still interested in going back to Zestiria despite being a slightly worse version of similar concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Warhammer: Total War 2, thank you for letting me do this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kitfox88 posted:

Big Head Modes vanishing has been a severe loss for the entire hobby.

Ratchet & Clank's Golden Bolt system was cool. It was very retro, where each milestone of Bolts earned unlocked some cool character model changes and gameplay toggles. Different styles of wrenches your character wields, big/tiny head mode, unlimited ammo and health, etc.

RareAcumen posted:

That was nearly 30 years ago. And also there have been 21 games since that.

Umm, we're only up to Street Fighter 6. Your math is WAY off!

Opopanax posted:

Shattered Dimensions was great but everyone shat on it at the time because how dare they make a Spidey game that isn't open world??

To be fair, it's not so much that it wasn't open world but that the franchise had clearly demonstrated open world greatness before so presumably when devs decide to go super linear one expects big improvements in most other areas but relative to other Spider-Man games it was just... good. The things it wanted to be known for felt gimmicky.

Also it was the first Spider-Man game to come out after Arkham Asylum. I loved Arkham and being a huge Spider-Man fan I played Shattered Dimensions and just felt like "Batman gets Arkham and this is all Spider-Man gets?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cythereal posted:

Thought that was an army of Pyramid Heads before I zoomed in :v:

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I really liked how low-stakes some of the chapters were for some characters in Octopath Traveler 1. I know some people hated it but I found it charming that the main conflict in one story is some children get into an argument and one gets lost in the woods trying to find the lost trinket to apologize and you need to find him.

If you're really liking the combat and plan to fight the true final boss I'd say make sure you rotate and use everyone or else you'll be steamrolled.

Need to play 2 still..

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cythereal posted:

For... For the uninitiated - what is happening here?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Samovar posted:

Many horsies.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

each of the triangles is a poorly animated cloak on the back of a knight on the back of a horse

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Samovar posted:

That is a whole lot of Grail Knights (superhuman badass knights empowered by the Lady of the Lake) descending on one very unfortunate undead opera singer pirate queen.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Interesting to hear people say Octopath 2 was so much better. I liked 1 but bounced off the demo for 2 because it just felt like more of the same.

Can you give some examples of what changes you liked? Spoilers are fine.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Interesting to hear people say Octopath 2 was so much better. I liked 1 but bounced off the demo for 2 because it just felt like more of the same.

Can you give some examples of what changes you liked? Spoilers are fine.

The one most people seem to care about is non-missable party banter which can be reviewed in any tavern at any time.

To me though the biggest things are a break from the formulaic structure of the first game.

In OT1, it was always this:

Enter town, find problem, go to micro dungeon, fight boss, chapter end. On top of that the way the map was laid out made the structure even more apparent because the progression of difficulty went inward from the outside ring.

More path actions so you can do things the way you’d like. Day/night cycle allows for lots of secrets. Removal of purple chests thank gently caress. Cross path stories that are their own mini chapters in and of themselves. Better story, imho. Though I don’t mind OT1’s basic feel.

At first blush it does look like more of the same but they learned all the right lessons from the first to the second. I couldn’t even call it a refinement, because they precisely targeted every deficiency of the first game. But if you don’t give it a little time it might look like more of the same for sure.

e: Oh, and waaaaay more dynamism in cutscenes, too. If OT1 was a cover band, OT2 is an artist reinventing the tune, is the way I’d put it.

unattended spaghetti has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Apr 27, 2023

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Cool, thanks for the detailed breakdown. Octopath was my commute game for a few months, so maybe I’ll check out 2.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The biggest thing for me was that the stories all drastically increased in quality of writing and content. The stakes all felt higher, things felt like they mattered more. The characters also interact with each other through the aforementioned side stories, but also in battle. They'll call out to each other if they get hurt, congratulate each other for kills etc. It all just feels so much more full of life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also Partitio owns and his motivation isn't to kill god but destroy poverty.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ImpAtom posted:

Also Partitio owns and his motivation isn't to kill god but destroy poverty.

His theme also kicks rear end.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Been playing Honkai Star Rail which is a f2p gacha jrpg from the makers of Genshin Impact. It's alright in the way f2p games usually are, but I quite like the writing in this one, especially incidental stuff. At one point you can find a closet, lock yourself in it, and convince yourself that the devil of the hotel is coming to attack you before you spring out and startle the room service. You can also participate in an eating contest in which you stuff your face full of so much crab cake that the text runs out of ways to describe it and starts listing facts about crabs before you briefly pass out, then barf.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

I'm alright with "grounded" stories, but if it's based on a comic book property, why even bother being restrained? There's canonical reasons to do literally anything. I don't watch a superhero movie because I want to see a superhero doing things a person is capable of.

Newspaper Spiderman is fantastic for the same reason: because he spends most of his time trying to do things a normal person is capable of and failing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Newspaper Spiderman is fantastic for the same reason: because he spends most of his time trying to do things a normal person is capable of and failing.

Too many bricks to the head. CTE can be a terrible thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tunicate posted:

I love how much of a useless, whiny rear end in a top hat Newspaper Spider-man is.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Tunicate posted:

Relatable

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

He did manage to defeat Morlun:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SimonChris posted:

He did manage to defeat Morlun:

Are these official strips? Because that's some good meta poo poo

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-77013#cite_note-Spider-Verse_%231-1

Official, though they were not newspaper strips.

He also went into the Hostess universe:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll admit I bought the spider verse omniverse after seeing Into the Spiderverse. It was... significantly more hosed up than I was expecting, though the writers seemed to have fun coming up with some really odd one-off Spidermen (Anarchist British Spiderman complete with spike mowhawk). I also picked up the Spider-Gwen run because of it, that was actually good.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Nah, this is the mainline Marvel comics, Morlun is travelling around the multiverse devouring Spider-People. The comic strip universe proves too difficult for him.
Eventually enough Spider-folks (including Spider-Man from the Japanese tv show and his giant robot) team up to stop him and his relatives.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
it did have Spiders-Man which was a funny joke

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Samovar posted:

The French are angry.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

You know who gets a raw rear end deal? Leah from Diablo 3. Like drat not even a little bit of redemption huh? And she didn't fall into corruption she just got betrayed and had no way to fight back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean it's Blizzard, need a new boss fight, wave hands at a random character and go 'corruption', bam.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it's Blizzard, need a new boss fight, wave hands at a random character and go 'corruption', bam.

Blizz is to corrupted women as Mind Geek is to step-moms

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randalor posted:

I'll admit I bought the spider verse omniverse after seeing Into the Spiderverse. It was... significantly more hosed up than I was expecting, though the writers seemed to have fun coming up with some really odd one-off Spidermen (Anarchist British Spiderman complete with spike mowhawk). I also picked up the Spider-Gwen run because of it, that was actually good.

Anarchist British Spider-Man is one of the unlockable costumes in the PS4 Spider-Man game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shard posted:

You know who gets a raw rear end deal? Leah from Diablo 3. Like drat not even a little bit of redemption huh? And she didn't fall into corruption she just got betrayed and had no way to fight back.

Yeah, that was kinda abrupt and weird even for the standards of Diablo writing. She was fairly central to the story for like half the game, then pretty much out of nowhere just "lmao nah she's hosed now". Not even in a proper cinematic, just in a weird and kinda awkward in-engine cutscene.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, that was kinda abrupt and weird even for the standards of Diablo writing. She was fairly central to the story for like half the game, then pretty much out of nowhere just "lmao nah she's hosed now". Not even in a proper cinematic, just in a weird and kinda awkward in-engine cutscene.

I guess if you weren't paying attention to all the foreshadowing and exposition of her being a vessel for Diablo and a half demon, sure, it totally came out of nowhere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One of the rare actual cool moments from D3’s entire storyline was the A3 intro cinematic where you think Azmodan is just saying some generic badguy stuff to Leah in a vision but he’s actually speaking directly to Diablo.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I guess if you weren't paying attention to all the foreshadowing and exposition of her being a vessel for Diablo and a half demon, sure, it totally came out of nowhere.

I didn't mean the fact that she ended up the vessel, but rather that the moment it actually happens has little dramatic build-up and feels rushed. Like I said, it's just an awkward in-engine cutscene for what should be a pivotal story moment, with barely more ceremony than what some random Act 1 side story would get. Just some monologuing from her mother, some particle effects, and then just "yeah she's Diablo now". Which was doubly weird in a game (and series, really) that puts so much effort in its cinematics.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm currently midway through the chapter 2s in Octopath Traveller 1 and I really like how the sidequests are basically small puzzles. They are fun to figure out and satisfying when you finally work out what to buy or where to go to advance them.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor has an accessibility toggle for arachnophobia, which will slightly change an enemy model so it is less spidery. I'm not bothered by big video game spiders too much myself, but that's a fuckin dope thing for the devs to do.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Leave posted:

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor has an accessibility toggle for arachnophobia, which will slightly change an enemy model so it is less spidery. I'm not bothered by big video game spiders too much myself, but that's a fuckin dope thing for the devs to do.

The first one had pretty flexible difficulty adjusters, too. It's nice that companies are starting to care about accessibility more

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leave posted:

I'm curious what it's gonna look like when I get there. I'm arachnophobic, but the spiders in more fantastical games are generally ok. If they just plopped a giant tarantula or something in there, it might be toggle time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Satisfactory also has a mode for that! It turns the spider looking enemies into wavering holograms of 2D cats that still make spider sounds, which both suggests it's actually occuring in universe for your player character (who presumably is also an arachnophobia and thus enabled the option to hide spiders from their vision) AND serves to make them equally disturbing and uncomfortable but in an entirely different way!