Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
I actually already bought Hoa because it looked charming. Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The patient gamer wins again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

this is cringe

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://youtu.be/8cCFN77wtHY

Lmao they did the song cover thing

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

SUNKOS posted:

Settle down, Bumhead, I was merely mentioning a prior merger that went ahead despite the CMA blocking it.

I'm mostly projecting something I'd like to see in all honesty. Game executives actually wrestling regulators/each other sounds loving great.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

Of course they picked that song. And the launch trailer is 30 FPS, just like the console release.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Bumhead posted:

I'm mostly projecting something I'd like to see in all honesty. Game executives actually wrestling regulators/each other sounds loving great.

Like in Tekken when billionaires enter fighting tournaments?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It seems like it would be ultra dumb for the U.K. to follow through on their threat of forcing Microsoft to shut the doors on all of their offices in the U.K. over this merger. That would put 6000 employees out of the job for literally no reason or gain to the U.K. I could see Microsoft still following through on their merger anyways and calling the U.K.'s bluff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think there's much meat on the cloud argument bone, especially wrt the Actblizz deal. They'll appeal and this will get drawn out for another 8 months and Microsoft will bend over backwards and make a dozen more concessions and it will eventually get pushed through.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/FOSSpatents/status/1651548164892008456?s=20

quote:

In his BBC video interview (https://bbc.com/news/business-65407005), Microsoft's president said:
"And we play a vital role, not just supporting businesses and non-profits but even defending the nation from cybersecurity threats."

Looks like Bill Gates will unleash his viruses upon a defenseless UK

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I said come in! posted:

It seems like it would be ultra dumb for the U.K. to follow through on their threat of forcing Microsoft to shut the doors on all of their offices in the U.K. over this merger. That would put 6000 employees out of the job for literally no reason or gain to the U.K. I could see Microsoft still following through on their merger anyways and calling the U.K.'s bluff.

It's a shame that pedo island is one of the few places where Xbox actually has a market because it makes that extremely unlikely.

As an aside, I think they should be broken up and so should just about every other major media conglomerate in the US, but since that's never going to happen, I would rather see this go through to stick it to Sony, who have been doing de facto the same loving thing, except through underhanded means which aren't subject to regulation or review.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

As an aside, I think they should be broken up and so should just about every other major media conglomerate in the US

In complete agreement. Laws and regulations especially in the U.S. are extremely one sided in the corporations favor, giving them way too much power and they really go out of their way to abuse that power in ways that was never intended.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I was wondering about the numbers and saw that cloud gaming accounts for 2% of gaming (didn't say if it was revenue users whatever) which still seems high, and that microsoft controls 60% of that market. So this is being stopped over 1.2% of the gaming market in a space microsoft has less of a market share than sony does in the "high end console market". Incredible stuff.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

John F Bennett posted:

https://twitter.com/FOSSpatents/status/1651548164892008456?s=20

Looks like Bill Gates will unleash his viruses upon a defenseless UK

poz my xbox hole

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All of the arguments against the merger have been made in bad faith, from both governments, and Sony. There is really no reason to not allow this merger, and I say this as a pretty anti-capitalism person. This can do nothing but benefit consumers, and employees, assuming Phil Spencer follows through on his promise of allowing people to form a union.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

All of the arguments against the merger have been made in bad faith, from both governments, and Sony. There is really no reason to not allow this merger, and I say this as a pretty anti-capitalism person. This can do nothing but benefit consumers, and employees, assuming Phil Spencer follows through on his promise of allowing people to form a union.

It benefits corporations but lol at it benefitting consumers in any way that isn't Sekiro on gamepass. The arguments by Sony have been silly but any benefit to customers is 'maybe some old free stuff on Xbox'

Any large corporation consolidating more power is always a bad thing even if it means Wolverine can beat up Luke Skywalker.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m anti-capitalism but monopolies are good for the consumer

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

lmaoooooo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

The arguments by Sony have been silly but any benefit to customers is 'maybe some old free stuff on Xbox’
Hmm that sounds like a pretty great benefit to me. Consumers stay winning.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

:shuckyes:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Joe Biden should break up Valve

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
No one's protecting me from all the supermarket chains merging and skyrocketing the prices of food or allowing all the companies in my industry to merge so I have incredibly few different places I could possibly work, but the governments of the world will make drat sure I can't play Diablo IV for free.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Who needs food / healthcare / housing when you can just endlessly entertain yourself with Microsoft-Bethesda-ABK products?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TVGM posted:

Who needs food / healthcare / housing when you can just endlessly entertain yourself with Microsoft-Bethesda-ABK products?

This

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

American McGay posted:

Hmm that sounds like a pretty great benefit to me. Consumers stay winning.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the anti-Xbox freaks doing drive bys in here should go back to the Pony farm, me thinks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

No one's protecting me from all the supermarket chains merging and skyrocketing the prices of food or allowing all the companies in my industry to merge so I have incredibly few different places I could possibly work, but the governments of the world will make drat sure I can't play Diablo IV for free.

I mean that is an argument for more, not less.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

1glitch0 posted:

This tbh, why should I give a poo poo about entertainment company mergers, particularly when they benefit me? While at the same time there are plenty of government approved monopolies that cause much more demonstrable harm in more serious ways, and to far more people.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

ZeeBoi posted:

These covers need to stop. I think the worst is the La Vida Loca one during that fight in Gotham Knights. loving ghastly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

It's not a monopoly though lol. This doesn't even come close to qualifying as one.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I only wanted it because Microsoft is mostly pro union and I’m not sure if the other potential buyers are or not. I couldn’t care less about modern activision games

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ImpAtom posted:

It benefits corporations but lol at it benefitting consumers in any way that isn't Sekiro on gamepass. The arguments by Sony have been silly but any benefit to customers is 'maybe some old free stuff on Xbox'

Any large corporation consolidating more power is always a bad thing even if it means Wolverine can beat up Luke Skywalker.

It is bad no question, but the potential benefit to consumers right now is Activision are sitting on an enormous catalog of properties and talented studios who could work on them instead of being nothing more than CoD/Blizzard support.

The status quo is arguably worse. The corporate shareholder mindset is so ingrained at ABK that any dollar being invested in anything that isn't one of their top tier moneyrakers is wasted. Even the idea of finding the next big thing is cast aside, the only thing that matters is making the number go up for the very next quarter because who cares beyond that.

One day either way the CoD gravytrain will come to an end and the issue may well resolve itself in a much lower value ABK reexamining themselves or more likely selling for far less. But that's years and years away, it will be a slow decline and that doesn't benefit us as consumers in any way either.

But right now this is capitalism so gently caress it all anyway, I'd rather see them be part of a larger company that does something else with everything they have and allows the smaller titles to be produced, Pentiment level titles get made, even more new Tony Hawks and stuff like that, dive into that 40+ year backlog of IP, actually try to make new stuff rather than just turn out the annual CoD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

I only wanted it because Microsoft is mostly pro union and I’m not sure if the other potential buyers are or not. I couldn’t care less about modern activision games

TenCent wanted to buy them, i'm curious how pro union they are, what laws are like in China for employees. I have no idea how any of it works, being American, I just get fed a lot of racist propaganda about China.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The funniest part about all this is that there would have been no pushback whatsoever if this was Tencent or Embracer group making the purchase.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ryoga posted:

The funniest part about all this is that there would have been no pushback whatsoever if this was Tencent or Embracer group making the purchase.

A massive Chinese company buying a massive American company would have gotten wall-to-wall xenophobic coverage on all your favorite news channels, and that would have put some pressure on regulatory bodies (who might still approve it but they'd have to really justify it if all eyes are on them).

It's worth mentioning this acquisition is a bit "stealthy" for how big it is. Like odds are good your parents would have no idea this was happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoga posted:

If you think a Chinese company buying Cawaduty wouldn't have created sone tremendously racist takes I have a bridge to sell you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the royal family.... chairman xi.... how deep does this go

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

Cawaduty

No.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005