Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

precision posted:

So Wargroove really isn't any good? That's a shame, it looks cool

2 will probably be better, hopefully they realize cos need more differences and the maps dont need to be loving huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

404notfound posted:

One weird thing I found out only after getting that controller, though: there's a 2.4 GHz version of the controller and a Bluetooth version of the controller. Both versions support both protocols, but the 2.4 GHz one can't be used on a Switch and the Bluetooth one can't be used on a Mac. Apparently it's because the 2.4 GHz supports X-Input and DirectInput while the Bluetooth supports X-Input and Switch.

It makes sense on a technical level, but the naming of the two versions is really confusing, given that they both support both :downs: I'm still happy with my purchase, just slightly disappointed that I can't use it on my Macbook to play Xbox Game Pass games

Thanks! This is helpful. I already have a PS5 controller so for the computer I’m covered.

How good does Xbox game pass work with the MacBook? Because that might be how I need to play starfield. I’m assuming you just need a fast internet connection, hard ware wise it doesn’t matter?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

404notfound posted:

It makes sense on a technical level,
It doesn't. The analog triggers can only be used in Xinput mode which requires the dongle, while the Pro 2 can do Xinput with Bluetooth.

Not an issue on the Switch, but would be nice to use on a Deck without needing to plug the dongle into a hub or something.

Commander Keene posted:

That's weird, especially since the Pro 2 supports all three (and even has a 4th setting for Android which is, AFAICT, unnecessary because Android accepts DInput).
The "A" setting is actually for "Apple". It emulates a DS4 or whatever which apparently iOS supports (but you can't use it on a PS4/5).

To be honest, reread what I just wrote there and suddenly it becomes pretty clear that 8BitDo's reverse engineering and implementation of these protocols is pretty janky, even if the actual controllers are pretty great most of the time.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Has anyone had the same issue I’m having?
I bought an oled switch around Christmas. In January (I think it was) I bought the retroflag grip / controller that is reminiscent of the GameCube control. When I plugged it in it wouldn’t work. I then realized although my switch would pass power through the usbc port it would not pass data. So pro controllers would still work and all but they would think they are wireless and just charging, but it wouldn’t connect to either the retroflag device nor would it recognize that it has a wired network connection.

I sent it to Nintendo, and they fixed (replaced) it. Fast forward to today, I plugged it back into the retroflag device to play some animal crossing and it’s back to not working. Tested the network and we are back to wifi only. Grrrrrr. I’m going to lose my animal crossing island again and it’s a pain in the balls.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

otter posted:

I’m going to lose my animal crossing island again and it’s a pain in the balls.

It has a cloud backup option available

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Met and defeated Dragaux last night in world 1 of Ring Fit. Then did the next two levels.

This is a really good bit of kit and is good fun. I am gently increasing the amount I do each session until I get to a good midpoint.

Kind of wild how the sensor can measure heart rate, and the ring bends and such with such flexibility but does not feel cheap or breakable. Feel like it cost too little at £45 for the whole package!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Met and defeated Dragaux last night in world 1 of Ring Fit. Then did the next two levels.

This is a really good bit of kit and is good fun. I am gently increasing the amount I do each session until I get to a good midpoint.

Kind of wild how the sensor can measure heart rate, and the ring bends and such with such flexibility but does not feel cheap or breakable. Feel like it cost too little at £45 for the whole package!

Nice! Remember to build up gradually and not rush it. Don't be like the guy that smugly posted to the Ring Fit thread about how he rushed half the game in one sitting without raising a sweat, it's about building up the difficulty to meet your own limits .

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

he rushed half the game in one sitting without raising a sweat

:prepop:

yikes. That is kind of amazing. I also found the perfect time to do it. When I get home I have about an hour and a half to myself where I usually tidy up the house and get a few adult things going (dinner and showers and such). And I can slot a nice chunk of this in there. Pretty lucky really :)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

VideoGames posted:

:prepop:

yikes. That is kind of amazing.

No, it's not, it's totally missing the point of the game and they must have set all the exercises to very easy levels to be able to do so. Like if it isn't giving you an actual workout, necessitating rest and recovery, then what's the point

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

No, it's not, it's totally missing the point of the game and they must have set all the exercises to very easy levels to be able to do so. Like if it isn't giving you an actual workout, necessitating rest and recovery, then what's the point

Sorry I meant amazing in a negative way. As in, how do you miss the point of that, but I did not want to be too rude.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Been playing Advance Wars recently. Finished AW1 campaign, then went to AW2. Colin is as fun to use as I remember him being.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Folt The Bolt posted:

Been playing Advance Wars recently. Finished AW1 campaign, then went to AW2. Colin is as fun to use as I remember him being.

He is literally one of the most broken co's and they like...didnt appear to nerf him at all????

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Good

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Started playing Octopath Traveler 2 last night, and I'm curious to see if the battle system clicks with me. Any beginner tips that would help early on?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Donkey Kong likes bananas.

hosed up if true

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

BisterdDave posted:

Started playing Octopath Traveler 2 last night, and I'm curious to see if the battle system clicks with me. Any beginner tips that would help early on?

Really, just take it easy and do whatever you feel like doing; there's no real way to dick yourself over with a bad build or by losing out on missables or anything.

You should get a feel for the break system fairly organically though the first and second sets of chapters, and that is the meat and potatoes of the gameplay.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone have an issue where your docked switch will go to a black screen randomly, for about a second and a half, not every time you play but maybe one every few times or every few hours?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I've never seen that. Seems like it could be an issue with the HDMI cable?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just realized that the Totk OLED switch comes out Friday, but the carrying case doesn’t come out until the game does on May 12th. The case comes with a screen protector… hmm… gotta decide if I play my old Switch for two more weeks and wait for the screen protector or risk it with the new Switch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bug Squash posted:

Nice! Remember to build up gradually and not rush it. Don't be like the guy that smugly posted to the Ring Fit thread about how he rushed half the game in one sitting without raising a sweat, it's about building up the difficulty to meet your own limits .

Lol, powerful gamer

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

mandatory lesbian posted:

He is literally one of the most broken co's and they like...didnt appear to nerf him at all????

Unless they were planning to actually add some form of matchmaking online play (lol) I don't really see the need to go through rebalancing all the COs, especially as it would have thrown the campaign out balance.
AW1 Max is also massively OP but you probably need that for some of those hard campaign missions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Really, just take it easy and do whatever you feel like doing; there's no real way to dick yourself over with a bad build or by losing out on missables or anything.

You should get a feel for the break system fairly organically though the first and second sets of chapters, and that is the meat and potatoes of the gameplay.

You also get way more JP than you'll ever need, and the first few skills for each Job are pretty inexpensive, especially if you start wearing the accessories that make Caits and Octopots turn up more frequently, so don't be afraid to experiment with mixing up sub-jobs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anyone have an issue where your docked switch will go to a black screen randomly, for about a second and a half, not every time you play but maybe one every few times or every few hours?

That's pretty much always a cable issue.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Does the sound cut out too?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just realized that the Totk OLED switch comes out Friday, but the carrying case doesn’t come out until the game does on May 12th. The case comes with a screen protector… hmm… gotta decide if I play my old Switch for two more weeks and wait for the screen protector or risk it with the new Switch.

You don’t wanna use the one that comes with the case. Get the AMFilm tempered glass screen protector.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1L53CB

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

great news everyone, Picross S9 is out. time to game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mistermojo posted:

great news everyone, Picross S9 is out. time to game

GOTY 2023 has dropped

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Detective No. 27 posted:

You don’t wanna use the one that comes with the case. Get the AMFilm tempered glass screen protector.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1L53CB

Yeah, it is kinda garbage. The one on my current OLED is scratched all to hell. Maybe I’ll grab that one.

Edit: I ordered it. Woo.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 27, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I just put in my pre-order for Tears of the Kingdom in a local shop, the first time I’ve pre-ordered a game probably since I was a teenager or at least a student when I went to a couple of midnight openings. Hyped

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I preordered TotK back in September to hedge against any random preorder discounts or whatnot. Then I forgot that I had preordered it and got pissed over the price increase. Then I discovered that I did preorder it months ago the original price. Good times.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

I can think of two notable exceptions to the above that I have been dying for them to put on the NSO: Banjo Tooie and mother loving Diddy Kong Racing! Give them both to me!

There are probably others. Jet Force Gemini?

Oh and it's not Rare but how about Mischief Makers?

How could you forget Snowboard Kids?!? :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, it is kinda garbage. The one on my current OLED is scratched all to hell. Maybe I’ll grab that one.

Edit: I ordered it. Woo.

how many switches have you bought lol

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I got Rain World, and drat is that game brutal, and never thought it would be. You have to find food, and make your way to a chamber before the world floods. It looks you in there for 3 months, and if you did not eat enough food you either starve to death or come out starving. Everything is out to kill you running the entire game world in real time. That is, unless you figure out how to make friends with them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
In my lifetime I have bought four switches

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

everyone should play Dragon Quest XI

I have never heard my Switch's fan before or after, but it could get quite audible when playing DQ XI in docked mode :D

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Leave it in the oven on a low heat until the protector arrives.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bofast posted:

How could you forget Snowboard Kids?!? :argh:

looking forward to playing Ogre Battle 64 in 2025

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Len posted:

how many switches have you bought lol

I bought one at launch, then bought my wife the Splatoon 2 edition Switch, then bought myself an OLED Switch with white controllers, then bought my wife the Splatoon 3 OLED Switch.

Now I’m getting the Totk OLED Switch like a psychopath :shepface:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I bought one Switch, six years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

chaleski posted:

I bought one Switch, six years ago

:same: