Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Has anyone said that police unions aren't unions? I'd just like to make that point!

EDIT: Bad snipe, but it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Collective bargaining is so powerful even our enemies use it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's also worth noting that police unions aren't onions.

In other news, apparently the powers that be are allowing SFU, TMU, and UPEI to start medical schools. Two word-name universities were unfairly excluded from eligibility.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eXXon posted:

True, onions are good, and if police unions had a taste, it would be that of human feces.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mister Speaker posted:

This news about Ontario police post-secondary requirements disappearing is pretty mask-off poo poo. We already knew cops were just empowered highschool bullies, but it's appalling to be this blatant about it. I do remember hearing someone tell me back when I was in college though, that some police departments prefer you not have attended Police Foundations...

True-with-an-asterisk. There was a misconception that the program was necessary and sufficient to get hired, which uh, led to some very stupid people making some very unwise promises their future couldn't hold up. The people who relied on this assumption did very poorly in interviews and got a reputation.

run on sentience posted:

Police school should definitely be at least 4 years and have at least 50% of the time dedicated to community relations/social work/ethics/sensitivity training/etc. to maybe weed out the worst of them. I have to agree that having general post-secondary education says absolutely nothing in itself about a person or what kind of cop they would be.

Absolutely correct, but consider that dental school - a place that creates doctors of medicine with one of the most trusted roles in society - will pass students who drug women unconscious and grope them, and take photos, and brag about it. The piece we're missing is disallowing anyone who currently is a cop from having any say whatsoever in who becomes one, ideally because these people are retired en masse to flush that critical mass of shitters out of the system before they can infect the next generation. And at the current rate of attrition, they absolutely will no matter how many postgrad hippie marxists you shove into the other end of the tube.

"But medical schools select for wealthy white applicants" my person a two-year community college diploma is a bar plenty high to keep the sorts of people out of the system that the cops can't weed out on their own without doing something conspicuously racist. That is the only thing that comes close to a defense of Ford's plan, and for that to work you'd have to believe in some sizeable number of people who ought to become cops, but can't because nobody's willing to lend them tuition.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 27, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

run on sentience posted:

Police school should definitely be at least 4 years and have at least 50% of the time dedicated to community relations/social work/ethics/sensitivity training/etc. to maybe weed out the worst of them. I have to agree that having general post-secondary education says absolutely nothing in itself about a person or what kind of cop they would be.

Not entirely wrong, but I will say that the only person I knew who wanted to be a cop but still figured a degree would be good, noped out of it hard while getting a degree.

Although he's now a Realtor so it's left as an exercise to the reader as to whether society has benefitted.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

That is the only thing that comes close to a defense of Ford's plan, and for that to work you'd have to believe in some sizeable number of people who ought to become cops, but can't because nobody's willing to lend them tuition.

We should give people tuition to be cops, lawyers, pilots, doctors, teachers, basket-weavers, whatever the gently caress they want to be. poo poo, you ever gone through a normal day in your life and thought, "man, the problem with this poo poo is people have TOO MUCH EDUCATION! They're too smart!"? No; no one's ever thought that, in the history of the world. Make education so freely and easily available that the only reason to avoid it is that you're dumb as all gently caress, and then we can look down on people who don't avail themselves of it with a clean conscience.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MikeC posted:

It is amusingly ironic to me that this thread's greatest love affair (unions and collectivism) is one of the biggest factors in causing the thread's greatest villain (cops) to be continually protected against investigations and consequences whenever they gently caress up.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bv8y45/how-police-unions-protect-racist-cops

goes back to what I said a couple of pages ago. Unions great in theory, in practice serve only to protect assholes and shitbags.

L
O
L

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

"man, the problem with this poo poo is people have TOO MUCH EDUCATION! They're too smart!"? No; no one's ever thought that, in the history of the world.

I know you're aware of the federal conservative party.

(postsecondary education should absolutely be free-as-in-beer to everyone)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I trust Dougie to bring in buck-a-course-credit.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

MikeC posted:

It is amusingly ironic to me that this thread's greatest love affair (unions and collectivism) is one of the biggest factors in causing the thread's greatest villain (cops) to be continually protected against investigations and consequences whenever they gently caress up.

goes back to what I said a couple of pages ago. Unions great in theory, in practice serve only to protect assholes and shitbags.

In my job I represent workers in disciplinary hearings. Sometimes I have to represent people who clearly have hosed up and I see my role in those circumstances as making sure the employer is doing their due diligence and not targeting the worker for discriminatory or harassment reasons, as well as offer corrective actions that don’t include termination if the worker is willing to learn, retrain etc.

More often than not, the workers in the hearings could have just been talked to by a supervisor and coached into better work performance, and often made just one bad decision or had one bad day. But supervisors often abdicate their responsibilities to higher ups to just get rid of people who annoy them or cause difficulties. If you wanted to be a manager you should have the skills to manage conflict and difficult personalities.

That said, the workers I represent don’t have guns, are held accountable for their actions and don’t act as agents of state violence.

So again, cop unions aren’t unions.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
Cops are like onions.

They smell bad and make your eyes water.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

ZShakespeare posted:

Cops are like onions.

They smell bad and make your eyes water.

Don't forget thin-skinned.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Police unions are fascist political lobbying groups, not labour unions. They stand in direct opposition to organized labour. They are the thugs sent to break up union activity. They are no more a union than North Korea is Democratic. They just co-opt a word and mimic labour unions like a snake mimics a stick.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

eXXon posted:

In other news, apparently the powers that be are allowing SFU, TMU, and UPEI to start medical schools. Two word-name universities were unfairly excluded from eligibility.

That's cool, hopefully we can increase domestic capacity to train doctors and stop stealing them from the already underserviced third world lol. Dalhousie is opening a new med school up in Cape Breton in a couple years too but I think they'll only be handling like 20 residents a year. For reference 15% (~144,000 people) of the province is on the provincial wait list to get a family doctor.

The real shame is we never took the Cubans up on their offer to train doctors, and even worse still won't grant Cuban doctors permission to come serve Indigenous communities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

That's cool, hopefully we can increase domestic capacity to train doctors and stop stealing them from the already underserviced third world lol. Dalhousie is opening a new med school up in Cape Breton in a couple years too but I think they'll only be handling like 20 residents a year. For reference 15% (~144,000 people) of the province is on the provincial wait list to get a family doctor.

The real shame is we never took the Cubans up on their offer to train doctors, and even worse still won't grant Cuban doctors permission to come serve Indigenous communities.

The Americans would be so pissed if we treated Cuba as anything more than a vacation spot, is likely the problem.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

MikeC posted:

I regret to inform you that your thoughts from a couple of pages ago are not any less terrible after aging for a few pages.

Really a fascinating thing to say when a massive labour union is currently on strike to demand completely reasonable things.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Speaking of doctors

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/frightening-shortage-canadian-family-doctor-221312130.html

As is no surprise, medical students don't want to go into family medicine because it's a poo poo show and there are currently hundreds of openings in the first round of the matching program.
Thus, they are probably going to get filled in the second round by people who couldn't get their first-choice matches and who will bail out into their preferred specialty at the first opportunity.

Family medicine pays a lot less than other specialties and it's pay structure incentivizes seeing as many patients as possible, impacting quality of care. It also has the most administrative work which gets no compensation at all.
It's definitely set up to fail in my mind.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Arivia posted:

The Americans would be so pissed if we treated Cuba as anything more than a vacation spot, is likely the problem.

Crazy that our first Cubano prime minister wouldn't work to get past that

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think we should accept humanitarian assistance from developed nations

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Maybe if we removed the post secondary requirement and made tuition free we'd get a lot more family doctors.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Police unions are fascist political lobbying groups, not labour unions. They stand in direct opposition to organized labour. They are the thugs sent to break up union activity. They are no more a union than North Korea is Democratic. They just co-opt a word and mimic labour unions like a snake mimics a stick.
I need to emphasize that this isn't just the attitude of terminally online leftists, but is basically a fact of the labour movement on the ground. The Canadian Labour Congress has (I'm pretty sure) no police union members, and has advocated for defunding the police. I used to work at a union-side law firm, and the only time I ever saw us turn down clients was because they were police unions. A retiring lawyer tried to give us his clients, and all five partners independently said "I'm not comfortable working with police unions". Police unions don't engage in solidarity actions supporting other unions, and it'd be kind of weird if they did given how much other unions dislike them.

I wouldn't call them "not a union" - their workers still largely interact with their bargaining agents in the same way as other unions and push for similar collective agreement language to other unions - but they're definitely not part of the labour movement. Police unions aren't an example of unions winning too hard and showing their true colours so much as they're an example of a deeply corrupt group that can operate with impunity and also has a union.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
PSAC is a strange animal in this respect in that it represents both your run-of-the-mill government computer-touchers as well as correctional officers, certain RCMP desk staff, and CBSA guards who detain and deport people.

In fact, the CRA salary demands PSAC put forward are based on comparable gains won for border guards last year.

I saw a couple years ago that PSAC-Québec was vehemently demanding that Transport Québec officers should be armed.

I've never been too sure what to think of all that, except that it sucks.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Labour aristocrats, many members are also management of some kind or another

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Fidelitious posted:

Family medicine pays a lot less than other specialties and it's pay structure incentivizes seeing as many patients as possible, impacting quality of care. It also has the most administrative work which gets no compensation at all.
It's definitely set up to fail in my mind.
I'm set up as an hourly contractor for family med, which allows me to a) spend the requisite time on paperwork, and b) see fewer but more complex patients. I also don't have to do any of the business management, for which I have neither skill nor inclination. Honestly makes my job so much better than most other family docs and it's what most of my residents want to do when they see it can work.

eXXon posted:

SFU is a reasonably sized school in a reasonably sized city. That's good.

UPEI is tiny, I don't know if they have the resources to get a good quality school going, and I presume they'd have to do a lot of the clinical work off the island. It would make more sense to have a school in New Brunswick but I presume the government there has no interest in paying for anything whatsoever.

I honestly didn't know what TMU was until I googled and found out it's what Ryerson became.

Waterloo is the largest metro area in Canada without a medical school, and coincidentally has one of the largest universities in Canada without a medical school. It would seem to me that establishing one there would be a good idea.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 27, 2023

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Albino Squirrel posted:

UPEI is tiny, I don't know if they have the resources to get a good quality school going, and I presume they'd have to do a lot of the clinical work off the island. It would make more sense to have a school in New Brunswick but I presume the government there has no interest in paying for anything whatsoever.

They have a vet school which means they have 1970s human medical equipment already, ez pz.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bud the Spud, M.D.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

There's nothing in the Charter that says a dog can't practice family medicine :smugdog:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Albino Squirrel posted:

I watched a brief clip on CBC and they said it would have a small initial class (~20 students?) focused on family medicine and doing residencies in local clinics rather than big teaching hospitals to encourage them to stay in PEI, which seems reasonable.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Waterloo is the largest metro area in Canada without a medical school, and coincidentally has one of the largest universities in Canada without a medical school. It would seem to me that establishing one there would be a good idea.

I had co-op jobs in medical physics (don't worry, they didn't let me near patients) so it sure doesn't seem like a big stretch, especially since they've had optometry for 20+ years. I gather from this reddit thread that UWaterloo is still unpopular for pre-med so maybe they are hesitant to put money and effort into it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The closest KW has to a medical school is IIRC McMaster does have a small satellite med school campus in Kitchener that's a partnership with UW.

Apparently it's only 28 students per class though.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Fidelitious posted:

Speaking of doctors

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/frightening-shortage-canadian-family-doctor-221312130.html

As is no surprise, medical students don't want to go into family medicine because it's a poo poo show and there are currently hundreds of openings in the first round of the matching program.
Thus, they are probably going to get filled in the second round by people who couldn't get their first-choice matches and who will bail out into their preferred specialty at the first opportunity.
As it turns out, they didn't even get filled in the second round: CaRMS second iteration match results

AMA posted:

Number of unfilled family medicine positions after the second iteration of the 2023 R-1 main residency match
By province:

Alberta: 22
British Columbia: 0
Manitoba: 0
New Brunswick: 1
Newfoundland: 1
Nova Scotia: 0
Ontario: 3
Quebec: 73
Saskatchewan: 0
Nobody wants to come to Alberta or Quebec, probably because of very different failings in the health care system - Alberta because we're privatizing everything, and Quebec presumably because they pay their family docs bupkis. Ontario went from 100 openings to 3, so that seems to be the magnet, unsurprisingly.

I don't know how we're gonna fill those spots in Alberta - maybe with some of those 'international' medical graduates who are actually Canadians that we don't have enough med school spaces to train?

There are six unfilled specialist spots country wide, amongst every medical speciality that isn't family med.

eXXon posted:

I had co-op jobs in medical physics (don't worry, they didn't let me near patients) so it sure doesn't seem like a big stretch, especially since they've had optometry for 20+ years. I gather from this reddit thread that UWaterloo is still unpopular for pre-med so maybe they are hesitant to put money and effort into it.
I think it's honestly because if you're a med keener you're just not gonna go to a university without a med school; my parents went to Waterloo and had a great time, but it wasn't on my list because of the lack of a med school so I went to Queen's for pre-med instead.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I went to U of A because I didn't want to see anyone from my town in Calgary at the U of C.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Yep - it's telling that various other unions are picketing in solidarity with PSAC when available. On the other hand, cop unions are mysteriously absent while their members are busy busting up and fining hot dog stands serving free food to Ottawa picketers
https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPublicServants/comments/130tbmp/ottawa_police_back_to_fine_free_hotdog_stand_at/

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Charles Bukowski posted:

I went to U of A because I didn't want to see anyone from my town in Calgary at the U of C.
I went to Ontario because I had a burning need to be 3000 km away from high school.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ColdBlooded posted:

Yep - it's telling that various other unions are picketing in solidarity with PSAC when available. On the other hand, cop unions are mysteriously absent while their members are busy busting up and fining hot dog stands serving free food to Ottawa picketers
https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadaPublicServants/comments/130tbmp/ottawa_police_back_to_fine_free_hotdog_stand_at/

Note, this spot was where the convoy had one of their food tents that shockingly wasn't ticketed or anything. Wonder what the difference was

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
some of those that work forces are the same that eat hot dogs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pigs don’t like seeing their own kind cooked

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I really wish we would stop calling them pigs. Pigs are in far better shape and serve the communities better.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

ColdBlooded posted:

That would have been city of Ottawa Bylaw services, who are under the city's union Cupe 503 - not Ottawa police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Pigs are indiscriminate. They don't care how rich or poor you are, if you disturb them, they WILL gently caress your poo poo up