Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The reason I don't go do something isn't I can't comprehend something that would be impactful. It's that I'm cowardly and selfish. So, lib it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
You know else doesnt say anything except "organize" and talks down to folks

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1261004586359422979?s=20

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
sounds like you really let croup get to you

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Epitope posted:

The reason I don't go do something isn't I can't comprehend something that would be impactful. It's that I'm cowardly and selfish. So, lib it is

don’t worry they’re not doing it either, it’s vibes all the way down

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Epitope posted:

https://twitter.com/Rhizzone_Txt/status/633401353327542272

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cuttlefush posted:

sounds like you really let croup get to you

getting asked how i am organizing actually owns and feels good

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

long-term goals

there are a lot of things about this post that suck but to me this is the most egregious. abandon long term thinking. any credible long term goal is lost. I appreciate that you are willing to fight for a more just world and that is laudable, but you are lying to yourself and others about what is possible. we are on track to achieve a record increase in refining capacity this year. do you understand what that means? we are going to overshoot so hard that the climate will continue to deteriorate long after the last human has turned to dust

the biosphere is a stage four cancer patient. interventions are possible at great cost in both resources and suffering, but misery and death are certain. talking about my moral obligations here at the great dying is in the most favorable interpretation presumptuous, but the spectrum runs all the way to malicious. if I judge that the best use of my limited resources is to treat those around me with compassion in order to reduce their suffering, who, exactly, are you, to judge that as immoral?

perhaps it is you, encouraging people to commit to a miserable struggle with no hope of success, who should turn your gaze inward to ask why you not only cannot accept the truth yourself, but why you must drag others into your fantasy as well

At least, that’s what I would suggest if you weren’t a cop. Which you clearly are

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

nobody has told me what the gently caress cybernetics has to do with it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
when you see cybernetics and dont see robots just replace it with the term feedback loop

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i like that zodium took a fancy word to embody an idea of his, sort of like when people use praxis thats sometimes feels like it exist purely to obfuscate and confuse ppl

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
praxis is the name of my knock off car from latvia

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the universalized organizing capitalist principles buhh buhhh ding: cybernetics

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
its a made up word from the greek for faaaaaarrrrrrrrttttttttt

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mr. Sharps posted:

nobody has told me what the gently caress cybernetics has to do with it

I'm going to get cyborg skin that can sink wet bulb events and cyborg lungs that can breathe co2 and a cyborg tummy that digests microplastics crimes of the future style

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

TehSaurus posted:

there are a lot of things about this post that suck but to me this is the most egregious. abandon long term thinking. any credible long term goal is lost. I appreciate that you are willing to fight for a more just world and that is laudable, but you are lying to yourself and others about what is possible. we are on track to achieve a record increase in refining capacity this year. do you understand what that means? we are going to overshoot so hard that the climate will continue to deteriorate long after the last human has turned to dust

the biosphere is a stage four cancer patient. interventions are possible at great cost in both resources and suffering, but misery and death are certain. talking about my moral obligations here at the great dying is in the most favorable interpretation presumptuous, but the spectrum runs all the way to malicious. if I judge that the best use of my limited resources is to treat those around me with compassion in order to reduce their suffering, who, exactly, are you, to judge that as immoral?

perhaps it is you, encouraging people to commit to a miserable struggle with no hope of success, who should turn your gaze inward to ask why you not only cannot accept the truth yourself, but why you must drag others into your fantasy as well

At least, that’s what I would suggest if you weren’t a cop. Which you clearly are

im being shown the error in my perception that this is a doomer thread

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Is the last few pages the adults trying to explain simple concepts to children again or did something interesting happen?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Radical acceptance of what's happening and what's to come. Just lol and post and lol some more until you are loling so much as all the disasters become too overwhelming for any state actor to deal with.

Confusedslight has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Apr 27, 2023

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

it’s a doomer thread because we are doomed. you just can’t suppress your human frailties long enough to come to grips with it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

i like that zodium took a fancy word to embody an idea of his, sort of like when people use praxis thats sometimes feels like it exist purely to obfuscate and confuse ppl

cybernetics ftw

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

4d3d3d posted:

Is the last few pages the adults trying to explain simple concepts to children again or did something interesting happen?

El Niño patterns shifting posters around and now this thread is flooded with bad posts

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

croup coughfield posted:

Does a doomer thread serve a philosophy purpose? I kinda think it might, a reducto ad absurdum for the question "does morality change if the ship is sinking?" I think the answer is "no"

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

TehSaurus posted:

it’s a doomer thread because we are doomed. you just can’t suppress your human frailties long enough to come to grips with it

Uh, excuse me but did you know that there's no reason to know this, because knowing is fascist and bad thread consensus or something. Delete this thread because it makes people crazy with the drug Reality

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Same but also I'm going to look like the major from Ghost in the Shell

E: oh I forgot to refresh and check for new posts whoops

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

4d3d3d posted:

Uh, excuse me but did you know that there's no reason to know this, because knowing is fascist and bad thread consensus or something. Delete this thread because it makes people crazy with the drug Reality

im saying all of these things and more

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
If you don't want to stick your head in the sand your whole life you're a goony goon shrieking doomer goon. Cheeto crusted fingers

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

err posted:

getting asked how i am organizing actually owns and feels good

I’m moderating this thread, I feel like that’s more than enough.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

actually I think it is less human nature and more western social programming that croup can’t suspend which is honestly deeply hilarious in this context

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

TehSaurus posted:

actually I think it is less human nature and more western social programming which is honestly deeply hilarious in this context

i agree although i dont think we're talking about the same thing

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

i DONT like it because cybernetics are cool and the climate being hosed up is not!

I’ll concede that it’s useful shorthand though and instead opt to roll my eyes at the marxists and their jargon while going along with it since nobody else has any good ideas

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Stereotype posted:

I’m moderating this thread, I feel like that’s more than enough.

clearly not very well if half the posters in here are steps away from drinking kool-aid

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Honolulu passed an ordinance or something that mandates Reef Safe Sunscreen but 90% of the coral on the coasts of Oahu is dead already. hot water killed all the coral and low-salinity water from urban runoff kills 100% of larva, so it isn’t coming back either. no one has ever seen living coral though, so people assume the barren rocks with one or two emaciated tropical fish nearby is the coral, and they wrongly believe we are Doing Something.

it’s too late

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

LF latching on to semiotics as a clever word ruined it for me

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Not So Fast posted:

clearly not very well if half the posters in here are steps away from drinking kool-aid

I think everyone is very clear about the thread policy on that

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

semiotics as philosophical practice is different from semiotics as physical practice but they aren’t that differnt when you get down to it

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Stereotype posted:

Honolulu passed an ordinance or something that mandates Reef Safe Sunscreen but 90% of the coral on the coasts of Oahu is dead already. hot water killed all the coral and low-salinity water from urban runoff kills 100% of larva, so it isn’t coming back either. no one has ever seen living coral though, so people assume the barren rocks with one or two emaciated tropical fish nearby is the coral, and they wrongly believe we are Doing Something.

it’s too late

instead of making this post, you could have joined the dsa. shame on you

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Not So Fast posted:

if ur referring to the people's temple mass murder/suicide it was flavor-aid.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
You can tell most of the posters here aren't any more educated or canny than the average coal rollin' chud

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I know, I'll teach you to be happy, I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJNXZQ-ROY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

ive never made any secret about my position that threads that exist - in my opinion - for wallowing in never-ending cycles of grief and anxiety (such as this one) should be gassed for the benefit of everyone. i didn't pretend otherwise, as I felt that would be disingenuous, believe it or not. zodium suggested to me that i should participate a bit more in these threads in order to re-examine that position. so that's what im doing, because zodium is a smart cookie and a good poster, so i respect them. no one is putting a gun to your head and saying you have to engage with it or me in any prescribed way.

life is never-ending cycles of grief and anxiety hth