Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Mythra was very good in Torna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Zore posted:

I never played Torna because Jin was so insufferable in the main game that playing a whole prequel setting him up sounded like pulling teeth. I just could not give a single poo poo about massively expanding on the genocidal man's tragic backstory considering how much of base XB2 is already dedicated to that!

Jin is a decent character in Torna. The game gives backstory to the whole cast, who are probably my fave group of protagonists in any Xeno title. The backstories for Lora and Haze are the real show stealers imo.

The entire series, 2 and 3 in particular, aren't great at selling a character's heel turn and motivations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

N is incredibly good actually

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
if you hate N that means he's doing his job as a villain effectively

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alxprit posted:

Glimmer is basically neo Mythra too, so the content just doesn't stop

basically is underselling it

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

N is a fantastic villain

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I didn't like N till I figured out who he was (yes I am dense), then I loved him

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i really do like that (chapter 2ish spoilers) glimmer just fucks off and tries to go back to agnus multiple times instead of immediately believing and accepting everything that these random rear end people are telling her, and is actually pretty upset that everyone she knew was dead. nice change of pace from 3

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

turn off the TV posted:

i really do like that (chapter 2ish spoilers) glimmer just fucks off and tries to go back to agnus multiple times instead of immediately believing and accepting everything that these random rear end people are telling her, and is actually pretty upset that everyone she knew was dead. nice change of pace from 3

To be fair, in 3 proper when the parties try to go back to their home bases they immediately get attacked by their former allies. Glimmer mostly just wanders a while until W shows up.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Not very far in the DLC, but the voice acting for Mathew is bleh. It sounds like the studio ordered grub hub and asked the driver if he wanted to make an extra $50 voicing a video game character.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Supremezero posted:

To be fair, in 3 proper when the parties try to go back to their home bases they immediately get attacked by their former allies. Glimmer mostly just wanders a while until W shows up.

glimmer was on the receiving end of 3's standard "we blew up the flame clock and killed your consul," which in 3 was good enough for pretty much everyone though. i know that the colony 4 storyline already kind of went over that so bringing it up again would get repetitive, but there were still a bunch of times where I wondered why anyone believed a random group of roaming weirdos, so it was kind of nice seeing someone who didn't

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Almost Smart posted:

Not very far in the DLC, but the voice acting for Mathew is bleh. It sounds like the studio ordered grub hub and asked the driver if he wanted to make an extra $50 voicing a video game character.

It seems to vary a lot from scene to scene. It's definitely a case where he got no direction.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
using "direction" like anime watchers use "budget" ftmfw

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I don't know why but Matthew's voice reminds me of Taika Waititi's voice acting and that delights me enough to paper over any performance issues I might otherwise have with Matt's voice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like Matt as a fellow lover of beans

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
totally forgot the battle system now, hope i get pick it back up for the DLC

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RevolverDivider posted:

N is a fantastic villain

N is great, mainly because he both 1. has an understandable motive but 2. is absolutely still a villain and bad person for the choices he makes.

Jin is sort of like a less consistent N. The main issue with Jin IMO is that there's an extremely obvious antagonist for him to aim his anger at in the form of Amalthus. The story tries to do "it's human nature to gently caress everything up, so humans need to die" as a motive, but nearly everything bad in XC2's setting (including Malos's actions) can be traced to Amalthus, so the "human societies ruining everything" motive completely falls flat. Hell, the entire relationship between humans and Blades is directly enforced by Amalthus's church! In Torna we (and Jin) are even shown a society where Blades are treated well, and it only gets destroyed due to Amalthus. So it doesn't make a lot of sense for Jin's whole thing to be "human societies always gently caress things up and treat Blades badly." It'd be one thing if Jin were just purely nihilistic due to the hosed up thing he experienced, but instead he goes on about humans treating Blades poorly (something that isn't even clearly linked to the tragedy that made him go crazy).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jin just vibing with Malos tbh.

Malos also vibing with Jin. Bad influences on each other honestly, but only because of how much they care. Kinda sweet.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

The DLC is shaping up to be more of what I originally hoped the main game would be like. Nice there's even a proper town area by chapter 3.

I hope someone gets a smash art outside of the skills that slowly charge during a fight. It's easy to get launches going and my trigger finger gets really itchy for a smash.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got to chapter 3 and immediately started backtracking to do stuff with everyone. Also switched to Rex as my controlled character and am super happy to see the blender build is BACK.

Also I found the King Agni's tomb and geeked out more than a little. And the reward for clearing it made it even better

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Ytlaya posted:

N is great, mainly because he both 1. has an understandable motive but 2. is absolutely still a villain and bad person for the choices he makes.

Jin is sort of like a less consistent N. The main issue with Jin IMO is that there's an extremely obvious antagonist for him to aim his anger at in the form of Amalthus. The story tries to do "it's human nature to gently caress everything up, so humans need to die" as a motive, but nearly everything bad in XC2's setting (including Malos's actions) can be traced to Amalthus, so the "human societies ruining everything" motive completely falls flat. Hell, the entire relationship between humans and Blades is directly enforced by Amalthus's church! In Torna we (and Jin) are even shown a society where Blades are treated well, and it only gets destroyed due to Amalthus. So it doesn't make a lot of sense for Jin's whole thing to be "human societies always gently caress things up and treat Blades badly." It'd be one thing if Jin were just purely nihilistic due to the hosed up thing he experienced, but instead he goes on about humans treating Blades poorly (something that isn't even clearly linked to the tragedy that made him go crazy).

Part of it is literally what SyntheticPolygon described, but there's more to it.

Jin is overall just very angry at the human / blades dichotomy, separate from anything Amalthus is doing on top of it. I don't think he believes its humans that are the cause of anything, but rather the "system" seems to prefer humanity, even though humans don't appreciate this nor sympathize with the enormous costs of being a blade. This envy twists into something like "why should we have these terrible burdens when humans are the ones that suck??" This attitude resonates with Malos and starts their little shame spiral.

and it's not like he's ok with Amalthus, he hates his guts and spends almost all his off camera time loving with the guy. He's just more mad at the architect.

What's cool about Torna is that it doesn't dive into Jin's tragic backstory in the usual way. He barely even factors into it. But what does become clear is that even when times were good Jin was still uncomfortable with his existence as a blade. He doesn't like fighting and he absolutely hates the idea of forgetting things once he goes back to his core crystal. He just wants a quiet life where he cooks and cleans and solemnly reflects.

The one thing keeping him going is Lora, he muses repeatedly that despite his lot in life he's content with these small moments of happiness, with the ultimate tragedy being that even those small moments are ripped away from him when Lora dies, with him living forever and not even realizing what he's lost. You can see how and why he'd crack.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jin has a point, the Blade system can be and is horribly abused. Amalthus is the rear end in a top hat currently exploiting it but remove him and another jerk might take up his place. And yes, the system does suck because it was a desperate patchwork repair by the power hungry idiot who blew up the world the first time.
Wanting to ask Klaus why the system sucks and why the gently caress did he allow Amalthus to grab the cores is a valid motivation (and the answer to the latter is "because I was depressed 'cause this system is the best I could do and it SUCKS").

And frankly, deciding a system is so broken the only option is to dismantle it and burn it down to the foundations and then to the bedrock for good measure is exactly what the party in 3 decides to do. Admittedly Klaus wasn't malicious and Moebious is but still

Switching to Future Redeemed comments:
are we sure Glimmer is Pyra's kid? Because she's so tsun we're looking at a mini-Mythra.
Related, her animations are half Cammuravi. I think the fandom got baited hard there, or possibly the CEO didn't stop at three kids (or both).

(from an affinity scene)
Shulk: *reminiscing about an ambush unique back in 1*
Nikol: I'm really not feeling it
Shulk: neither was I at the time

(chapter 4, actual spoilers)There is not a situation that cannot be made worse by this N rear end in a top hat. But seriously A, why did you think dropping the great grandpa bombshell right now instead of approaching it carefully beforehand was a good idea.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With Glimmer they realised that referring back to Pyra visually makes more sense due to being the first heroine but Mythra is the one that is actually cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Omobono posted:

Switching to Future Redeemed comments:
are we sure Glimmer is Pyra's kid? Because she's so tsun we're looking at a mini-Mythra.

I'm not sure the game will directly say so, but I would be willing to bet that Nikol/Glimmer are not directly the literal children of Shulk/Rex, but rather the reincarnations in the way Noah/Mio are of N/M, but Origin sometimes doesn't replicate fully correctly. I think Glimmer is meant to be the merger of P/M's children from the photo but game could prove me wrong

But big agree overall, Mythra was always the superior Aegis so Glimmer being Mythra 2: Double Spinning Edge boogaloo is a win.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i thought that matt having flame pants was the dumbest character design aspect in FR and then i realized that glimmer is wearing high heel platform flip flops over her shoes

still no shorts+chaps combo but i respect the spirit

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

i thought that matt having flame pants was the dumbest character design aspect in FR and then i realized that glimmer is wearing high heel platform flip flops over her shoes

A fun game to play with jRPGs is "how long does that outfit take to put on"

Don't play this with Fire Emblem Fates characters, you'll have a stroke

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

turn off the TV posted:

I think the flip flop part is just aesthetic and they're just normal high heel platforms.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Supremezero posted:

I think the flip flop part is just aesthetic and they're just normal high heel platforms.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
how long is Future Redeemed

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GateOfD posted:

how long is Future Redeemed

Probably about 20 at a casual pace, ~12 on a mainline only objective to objective, 100% completion probably closer to 30-35?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

what the gently caress

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Probably about 20 at a casual pace, ~12 on a mainline only objective to objective, 100% completion probably closer to 30-35?

this is probably going to also depend a lot on what difficulty you're playing on. if the enemy encounter completion rates are anything to go off of then it'd probably take me at least 40 hours to 100% it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hard hasn’t been bad so far, as opposed to the main game where the first boss fight was a major roadblock. I got murdered by a giant ape but that was mostly due to my overconfidence.

Edit: I just took the elevator to the second area so I’m still fairly early I think.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Just got the area before (chapter 4 spoilers) Prison Island and there is a Affinity Scene where Shulk talks about the Unique Monster in XB1 where you could only get in a thunderstorm, now I dunno if the game is trolling me and it only appears later but I have been killing myself over and over to change the weather because in the map, near the event, it says there is a unique monster and it's not spawning so I guess it's only on a thunderstorm but the weather refuses to change, maybe I'm just unlucky or the game is really trolling me and it's a later thing like some Unique Monsters

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

There are weather dependant UM, yes.
E: but I dunno if that is one

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I don’t know what the gently caress Glimmer is doing, but one of her spells has the windows error sound and I can’t handle it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How do I turn off the bird chirping sound effect, it haunts me. It keeps playing during cutscenes and if you pause the game it plays behind the pause menu music. I can’t loving stand it lol it was that way in the regular game and I thought I was hallucinating or hearing birds outside because it loving plays while the game is paused.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
My one complaint so far about this DLC is (mild Chapter 3 spoilers I guess) in the area outside Colony 9 where it plays the Xenoblade 1 battle theme, it doesn't also play the Xenoblade 1 version of You Will Know Our Names. :mad:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
But does Engage the Enemy get played?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darth Nat posted:

My one complaint so far about this DLC is (mild Chapter 3 spoilers I guess) in the area outside Colony 9 where it plays the Xenoblade 1 battle theme, it doesn't also play the Xenoblade 1 version of You Will Know Our Names. :mad:

I thought it was cool when the first time I walked up to a unique monster A said "I will remember your name" or something to that effect