Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That notepad topper is obviously made up bs, but a funny joke, and the people who uncritically accept it as real have slipped into terminal boomer brain. You hate to see it. The rest of the story is incredible though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not a single Nigel on that list smh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I would have just picked a regular name like Bobson Dugnutt, or Sleve McDichael.

you fool!

those are regular AMERICAN names!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Winston Dickens

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Beeswax posted:

That notepad topper is obviously made up bs, but a funny joke, and the people who uncritically accept it as real have slipped into terminal boomer brain. You hate to see it. The rest of the story is incredible though

The real takeaway from that case is the old classic: "Don't do really bad crimes if you've got tattoos, because they WILL be used to identify you."

His excuse, of course, is that someone tattooed him against his will while he was in the hospital, I guess to frame him? :allears:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Beeswax posted:

The world as of late has me largely convinced that it’s stupid enough to be real.

Also tag yourself, I’m moon moon.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I guess it's not real, but if you think about it it's hosed up that it could even be mistaken as real, you know?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
He doesn't even have one of the only six different faces that all white Englishmen have.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Benagain posted:

His appearance in that video is the result of careful negotiations and he is focusing with every fiber of his being on not rolling his eyes, being visibly annoyed, or reflexively smirking.

He does not blink or breathe one time in that video

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1651383554490925056

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/memesbreakcore/status/1650950791618867200?cxt=HHwWgMC9we6_rektAAAA

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1650913337117491204?cxt=HHwWiIC-3dy7nOktAAAA

https://twitter.com/mattxiv/status/1650947065239699456?cxt=HHwWgICw6frmq-ktAAAA

https://twitter.com/hosoterratoma/status/1651035217828651008?cxt=HHwWgICx5Y7y0-ktAAAA

This fills me with an intense sense of dread, it's like that diner scene in Mulholland Drive. :stare:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Read After Burning posted:

This fills me with an intense sense of dread, it's like that diner scene in Mulholland Drive. :stare:

Don't worry, the unedited version is much less interesting.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

*SEGGS

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/kochsister/status/1651637426664742914?s=20

EDIT: IT WAS NOT ME

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Apr 27, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

of course it wasn't, you're dick trauma not trauma dick

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/toddedillard/status/1606286838225838081

Thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lookin good eugene

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hyperlynx posted:

Yeah, the olden days were pretty crazy in terms of medicine. All cocaine this, opium that, amphetamine the other thing.

Heroin was a trademark product you could order from Sears.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Air Skwirl posted:

I bet the ad was like "heroin! Puts a hero in you!!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

o poo poo waddup

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Trademarked by Bayer. They use this to great effect in the absolute masterpiece The Knick, which all of you should watch if you haven't.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the same guy made Heroin and Aspirin. he lost control of the names due to war reparations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1651683234865111041

Lots of the big accounts are already going over. I'll see what happens here, inertia is a bitch to overcome, but imo, this would indeed be lol.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It would be lol. However, I don't want a Twitter clone. I want social media to die.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1651639056793575430?s=20

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

feedmyleg posted:

It would be lol. However, I don't want a Twitter clone. I want social media to die.

And yet you're posting on social media. Curious.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Air Skwirl posted:

Sure. I think heroin is a bit different, though. It was developed to be a non-addictive version of existing painkillers (lol), rather than a cure-all.

Also, fun fact: it's sometimes still prescribed, under the name "diamorphine".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, if it can't die immediately, proof that buying or owning a social media site is a pointless money sink is a good step in the right direction.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

imagine paying 8 dollars so you could be Popular Online, to the guy who spent 44 billion dollars to be the Coolest and Most Popular Person Online, only to find out that there's a whole different invite-only website where the actual cool people hang out and the only reason why it's cooler is the people paying 8 dollars aren't invited lol

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hyperlynx posted:

Sure. I think heroin is a bit different, though. It was developed to be a non-addictive version of existing painkillers (lol), rather than a cure-all.

Fun fact: Add a couple acetyl groups to morphine (acetyl groups are like bullet trains for transporting molecules across the blood brain barrier, thus amplifying their effects) and you have diacetylmorphine or diamorphine or heroin. Whee!

Aspirin is salicylic acid plus an acetyl group aka acetylsalicylic acid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Seems like every addictive painkiller was developed to be a non-addictive version of existing painkillers

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It just keeps happening! Oh well, anyway, this one won't be worse,

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do you think the guys who invented like, fentanyl or whatever, were stricken with a deep sense of shame on account of how many lives their product has ruined?

I mean the actual lab-coat chemists making the stuff, obviously the fat cats who own the pharmaceutical companies are inhuman ghouls who don't give a poo poo about suffering.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
An unbroken line of steadily more addictive painkillers, all the way back to Throrg eating that purple mushroom.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Do you think the guys who invented like, fentanyl or whatever, were stricken with a deep sense of shame on account of how many lives their product has ruined?

I mean the actual lab-coat chemists making the stuff, obviously the fat cats who own the pharmaceutical companies are inhuman ghouls who don't give a poo poo about suffering.

Like anyone who does something unconscionable for a megacorp, I assume the deferred responsibility allows every individual to justify their hands as clean.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mister Speaker posted:

No Dr Paul Janssen probably didn’t because he died before it hit the streets in any appreciable way. He also developed 4 different drugs that are on the WHO essential medicines list so he probably wasn’t a Sackler-type ghoul.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fentanyl is extremely good and useful in acute care and emergency medicine. Even as a recreational drug most of the ods are people who think they're taking something else.

So the people who synthesized it are probably like the Keurig guy - "wait you're doing what with it? No it's not for... God damnit you morons."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
wait what are you supposed to use a keurig for

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mister Speaker posted:

A big helping of bofa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mister Speaker posted:

He never envisioned them for home use. He intended them for offices so people wouldn't need to burn gas and get disposable waste cups for coffee, or like for 24h gas stations to be able to make one cup at a time and not waste massive amounts of ecologically intensive coffee. He's horrified at the amount of waste his invention inadvertently created.