Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1651596436109156353

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Goddamnit bazake, you had me there for a minute.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Want that bust.

OwlFancier posted:

They can, they passed that legislation a while back to let them.
That's for secret squirrel stuff, when authorized by a superior by a formal process (and also informally when they think nobody is watching).

What Lee wants is a move from even pretending to police by consent while everyone is watching in public to just openly policing by power.

This is also why they're all desperate to get out of the ECtHR.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

allister heath turns up outside your window at night making that face wyd

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

has he just woken up from a coma he's been in since 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are we sure that he's woken up? There's been a few cases where people have semi-roused and begun speaking what they believe are foreign languages or strings of words and phonemes that don't make much sense together.

https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1651498591708405760

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

hate the man but not the message

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
new avatar pls

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Quality comments on this

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1651507237662195714?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

if she saved it then how did the labour government give it?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

vote labour for a meagre pay day in 18 years?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

if she saved it then how did the labour government give it?
The government gives a small amount as a starter, which acts as a nudge to encourage people to save more throughout the child's first 18 years.

A bit like gambling sites giving people a free bet, but not lovely.

Well, not intrinsically lovely. The nudge worked but due to other Tonty Blair policies after the child's first 18 years they'd probably be using most of it to pay for further education.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I also object to the framing that people just need "encouragement" to save as if you can pull money out of the loving air by force of will.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Supposedly the tax credits program would give people with kids under 18 enough spare that they'd then save some of it in the child trust so that it could mature and pay for their further education, but yes the whole thing does look a bit like a game of Screwball Scramble designed by policy wonks and behavioural science obsessives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that could be done more efficiently by simply using the expected "spare" tax credit money to pay for everyone's education and the rest of the tax credit money to pay for services free at the point of use rather than just hoping there are no shortfalls and everyone uses the money perfectly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, but then paups wouldn't learn the important lesson that scrimping and saving still gets you nowhere unlike your rich betters, you loving pleb, get back in the workhouse where you belong

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wonder if I could sell my new born child's future potential to a big corporation, avoid all this hassle.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Yeah, fully funding and supporting the basics of a functioning society (such as education, health and transport) seems so obvious that not doing it just reveals the blatant true goals at play here.

It's all linked to preventing the average person from questioning why a small bunch of rich tossers treat the societal governance roles (that anyone souls be eligible for) as a job that they're naturally entitled to with no interview process.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I also object to the framing that people just need "encouragement" to save as if you can pull money out of the loving air by force of will.

"On this evening's money segment, we have a bunch of talking heads to discuss why young people aren't putting hundreds of pounds into their pensions each month, as if there's some sort of mystery to it!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was at least in part a reaction against the Old Labour idea that if you just gave proles lump sums of money they'd spend it all down the pub or on the horses, so you have to make sure that their access to services is properly controlled by white men in smart suits, as is proper.

It just wasn't a good or useful reaction against that, because it just turned into "give people lump sums of money and then behavioural science them into doing what we wanted them to do with it anyway"

Also tied in with the similar idea of the era that what people wanted most of all was 'choice', but you can't give people actual transformative choices so give all that lot ASBOs and give the rest the illusion of agency.

Both New Tory and New Labour could agree that the kind of choices that people wanted most of all were things like what colour the logo on the top of their energy bills was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean sure between the acceptable prole survival services like US food stamps, and money, money is better. But we have already figured out that you can make services that everybody uses because they're just better than trying to get everybody to build their own little fiefdom where they all try to have duplicate versions of things that are better socialized, and also most people don't have those because they're too poor anyway.

Tangentially related but I was listening to the latest knowledge fight episode and Jones is going on about how "the left wants to take away your pool" and that kinda hits it on the head in a microcosm. Some brains think the ideal society is lots of rich people having their own private swimming pool that costs a fortune and barely gets used, while sane people think we could build a public baths that is much better than anything you could install in your house and also you don't have to pay for it.

The concept of ownership just really seems to gently caress some people up. Like there is no form of ownership except private ownership and everything that stems from private ownership just has to be accepted. It isn't enough that people own their own homes, but some people have to own everybody else's home as well, and if you point that out then clearly you don't want anybody to own their home.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 27, 2023

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Yeah, but then paups wouldn't learn the important lesson that scrimping and saving still gets you nowhere unlike your rich betters, you loving pleb, get back in the workhouse where you belong

bold move announcing the entire labour manifesto before kieth has even thought of it

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No I didn't! Thanks for that!

A friend and I regularly tell cats on the table that they're far too late for coffee to have any effect...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
you all might know, what's the current meta for gas/energy plans? is fixed rate/variable less bad or is it all just terrible by now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

think it’s all still held under a price cap but who knows how long that will go on for

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Don’t know if people have seen this but it genuinely shocked me. One of the biggest right wing loud mouths in America, the Dan Wooton/ Andrew Tate brigade, treating his 8 month pregnant wife like a piece of poo poo on his shoe. Very revealing of the right wing mindset

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1651645370898989057?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RoyalCentral/status/1651695212073197571

The loving what?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

New Dark Souls / Mario mashup sounding poo poo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

:yeshaha:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

And those three will be dead of old age soon.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Bunch of unelected sponges...

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

You mean you haven’t bought your Coronation Colin yet???

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The problem with all of these surveys is that they don’t take into account the huge inertia of the people who don’t much care either way, but only think in terms of Britishness. There are ridiculous numbers of people I know who agree with me that monarchy is incompatible with the notion of equality, and yet still support it because it’s “what makes us British”

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Those people are only one big scandal away from going full republican. And this generation of royal family love a scandal.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Happy Ed Balls day to all who celebrate

https://twitter.com/isitedballsday/status/1651836150951075842?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

You mean you haven’t bought your Coronation Colin yet???

brb leading an armed rebellion to install this delicious pretender on the throne instead of ol' sausage mitts

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Those people are only one big scandal away from going full republican. And this generation of royal family love a scandal.

imagine if william divorces kate

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jel Shaker posted:

imagine if william divorces kate

Things will certainly move up a “peg” ahahahahaha

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Upstaging oval office. It's Terry Pratchett Day.