Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

e.pilot posted:

I installed the docker auto update plugin and don’t even have to do that anymore.

Have it set up to send me a daily email on any updates it does to make sure there aren’t any issues, and in the 3mo I’ve been running the plug-in it’s been flawless.

Yeah, If I could just get Deluge to auto remove completed downloads I would have almost no reason to log into the server interface until there's an OS update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Matt Zerella posted:

UnRAID has its problems and if speed is your big concern then it's probably a no go but goddamn do I love it for what it does.

:same:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The only reason im considering Truenas is because I'm chasing performance, and Unraid just doesnt do it, other than that its fantastic

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I've been running Unraid for I think 3 years now and the amount of janitoring is basically "log in and see if there are updates"

Unless you have wonky hardware its pretty hands off after initial setup
For the most part any NAS setup, even a completely homebrew build just running ZFS and Samba on your favorite distro, is going to be more or less hands off "just run updates regularly" if you can keep it as just a NAS.

The reason many of us are constantly tinkering with our systems is because we can't resist tinkering or trying to make it do "one more thing". It's not just my NAS, it's my Plex server, Usenet downloader, Minecraft server, VM host, database host, Home Assistant server, VPN host, etc.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

For the most part any NAS setup, even a completely homebrew build just running ZFS and Samba on your favorite distro, is going to be more or less hands off "just run updates regularly" if you can keep it as just a NAS.

The reason many of us are constantly tinkering with our systems is because we can't resist tinkering or trying to make it do "one more thing". It's not just my NAS, it's my Plex server, Usenet downloader, Minecraft server, VM host, database host, Home Assistant server, VPN host, etc.

This is very true, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I've been running the "same" TrueNAS setup since 2015 or so when it was FreeNAS. It's only for storage. I've updated regularly, replaced a failing HBA, installed a 10gig card, added drives. That's all. No drama, no janitoring past that.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Really looking forward to being able to spin up some self hosted ChatAI bot docker containers to do my bidding.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My favorite container project will forever be freepbx for the hold sim

408-709-4378

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Building a "NAS" for Plex. Primary criteria are low power, small-ish form factor, 3 bays, cheap.

Any advice?

Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($131.99 @ Amazon)
Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ ASUS)
Corsair CV450 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.12 @ Amazon)
2x Seagate BarraCuda 8TB ($199.98 @ Amazon)

Total: $621.06

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 27, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Building a "NAS" for Plex. Primary criteria are low power, small-ish form factor, 3 bays, cheap.

Any advice?

Add a SSD for cache/running docker apps.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Do you plan to expand the number of drives at some point? A 450W PSU might cap how many you can run without running into issues, but if it's just two for the foreseeable future then go nuts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Even on-board SATA controllers do staggered start up nowadays, last I checked.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Add a SSD for cache/running docker apps.

Thanks, good idea.

power crystals posted:

Do you plan to expand the number of drives at some point? A 450W PSU might cap how many you can run without running into issues, but if it's just two for the foreseeable future then go nuts.

Starting with 2, I want to be able to add a 3rd at some point, what wattage do you recommend?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Starting with 2, I want to be able to add a 3rd at some point, what wattage do you recommend?

3 is nothing. I think I ran into issues around like, 8. I'd probably personally do a 550W just because last time I checked the price difference was very small.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Any advice?

For low power and essentially the same general needs, I was recommended the i3-12100T by this thread, maybe worth investigating.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

power crystals posted:

3 is nothing. I think I ran into issues around like, 8. I'd probably personally do a 550W just because last time I checked the price difference was very small.

Won't a 450W likely get better efficiency than a 550W on a system with such low power requirements though, all else being equal? Could result in a larger cost increase over the long term.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Any advice?

When you've got it booted, would you mind running it on a kill-a-watt or similar and posting the effective wattage?

I tend to assume anything home-built will be a huge power hog just because my main PC draws 120W. I need to learn what works better.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

When you've got it booted, would you mind running it on a kill-a-watt or similar and posting the effective wattage?

I tend to assume anything home-built will be a huge power hog just because my main PC draws 120W. I need to learn what works better.

Sure! But 120W already sounds really low for a PC, I doubt I'll be able to do much better unless I can find a i3-12100T as suggested by bawfuls

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't know if the T model is likely to idle much if any lower than the regular model, even if it has a lower power limit under load. Considering the CPU needs of a NAS, it probably won't make a lot of difference and you have a case with room for a cooler that's more than adequate (the stock cooler will be fine).

e: There could be some binning going on with the -T chips, but probably not much at the i3 level because the lower clocks make it a lot easier to hit the tighter power limits anyway.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 27, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

People wildly overestimate how much power fileservers use/need. I did the homework on my poo poo and ran a 16x1.5TB fileserver on a 520W without any issues. It pulled 400W from the wall during spin-up, then stabilized under 200W (5900RPM drives).

My current fileserver with 8x14TB 7200rpm drives and a 12-core Xeon peaks at <400W at power-on and idles at 132W.

I'd be more concerned about running 8TB barracudas in a fileserver. Get drives rated for NAS use.

Also get a cheap NVMe drive for stuff that needs some oomph.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Wibla posted:

People wildly overestimate how much power fileservers use/need.

Two NASes ago I had 11 drives in a system with a 450W PSU and it would actually run out of power and shut down if you did too much I/O at once, but not before writing a bunch of zeroes instead of whatever the data really was (literally all zeroes, I checked). For obvious reasons that's not exactly a desirable trait in a NAS. Now though I've got some supermicro chassis rated for 900W or something else absurd so whatever that's never gonna be an issue again.

As for efficiency, eh. The curve stabilizes fairly quickly above 0W. Running that on a 1600W PSU, yeah that's a waste, 450 vs. 550 you're probably going to see as much difference between brands as the power ratings. Or you could always try to find one rated platinum or titanium or whatever the hell the top rating is now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I don't know, I feel like over 100W is really a lot of power for just idling and waiting for someone to access files. Sure, while spinning disks and pushing bytes out the pipe, but idling?

It would really make a difference in my power bill, that's for sure. My whole apartment draws somewhere around 150 kWh per month, which converts to ~ 200W continuous. So an always-on NAS at 120W is a huge deal.

What power-save options do people use? Wake-on-lan?

I see people on Reddit getting between 32W and 120W. https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/whats-your-idle-power-consumption-hw-recommendations.96992/

e: sp

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah where I live 100W load 24/7/365 would cost about $500 a year

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My power save setup is a bunch of SSD’s. My current server idles at about 115w even with the spinny disks put to sleep.

Moving from a server with redundant power supplies and 800 fans to a PC with an AIO water loop and SSD’s will hopefully solve a lot.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't know, I feel like over 100W is really a lot of power for just idling and waiting for someone to access files. Sure, while spinning disks and pushing bytes out the pipe, but idling?

It would really make a difference in my power bill, that's for sure. My whole apartment draws somewhere around 150 kWh per month, which converts to ~ 200W continuous. So an always-on NAS at 120W is a huge deal.

I see people on Reddit getting between 32W and 120W. https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/whats-your-idle-power-consumption-hw-recommendations.96992/

A NAS with 2-3 drives and a low power CPU will idle comfortably below 100W. Even lower if you spin the drives down.

My Xeon E5-2670 v3 with 128GB ram idled at 200W before I enabled power saving stuff in BIOS :haw:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wibla posted:

A NAS with 2-3 drives and a low power CPU will idle comfortably below 100W. Even lower if you spin the drives down.

My Xeon E5-2670 v3 with 128GB ram idled at 200W before I enabled power saving stuff in BIOS :haw:

If I got one, it would idle ~20h per day. I guess my pain point for idling wattage would be around 20-30W.

What do canned products draw, like lower-range Synology stuff?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d imagine the synologys are pretty efficient. A lot of them use intel atom cpus

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

My DS220+ and DS112j idle at 22W combined and won't go over 40W ever.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My NAS used to have a proto-E3 Xeon from 2010 (L3426) and 16GB of DDR3, with 8 3.5" drives (mostly shucked 10TB Easystores) set to never spin down. It used about 80W when just serving files, and 120W peak. My estimate was that around 50W of that idle was drives and 30W was the rest of the system. I've recently upgraded to a Ryzen 2600/X570 with 32GB of DDR4 and it uses substantially more at around 150-160W, but I assume some of that is that I bought 7200RPM drives to replace my old 5400s without thinking about power usage. It's also possible that moving from Rocky Linux to TrueNAS Scale played a role but I'd expect that to be small if anything.

I don't use any power saving options that aren't default. It could make a difference that I went through EFI disabling anything related to power saving when setting up TrueNAS because I was having a lot of instability (turned out to be the CPU) but I haven't wanted to invite trouble by changing things now that it seems stable.

I've worked a bit with the passively cooled Celeron/Pentium boards and 7-10W seems pretty typical for that sort of system at idle before you start adding drives and fans. If you concerned about power usage and willing to forgo ECC, that kind of thing might work well.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 28, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it make sense to use iSCSI rather than NFS or SMB to connect my video editing PC to a TrueNAS machine? I can connect the two over 10Gbit SFP+

My understanding is that iSCSI would be better for the video editing machine?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does it make sense to use iSCSI rather than NFS or SMB to connect my video editing PC to a TrueNAS machine? I can connect the two over 10Gbit SFP+

My understanding is that iSCSI would be better for the video editing machine?

iSCSI is block storage(it's showing a disk to your computer) while NFS/SMB is object storage(it's showing a folder to your computer). Performance is theoretical better for iSCSI if the NAS hasn't got a modern nfs/samba implementation, otherwise it's equivalent if not worse(load balance/multipath is a pain in the rear end compared to SMB for instance). Unless you have a very specific need(VMs) i would steer clear of iSCSI.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 28, 2023

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
My Epyc (7302p, all channels populated, 6 7200 RPM spinners and bunch of NVIDIA 4000-series Quadros) box idles around 120 W.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Flipperwaldt posted:

My DS220+ and DS112j idle at 22W combined and won't go over 40W ever.

Well that sells it pretty well, to me. The price premium would pay itself back in the first or second year, at current power prices.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kivi posted:

My Epyc (7302p, all channels populated, 6 7200 RPM spinners and bunch of NVIDIA 4000-series Quadros) box idles around 120 W.

drat. How much does it pull at power-on/boot?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Wibla posted:

drat. How much does it pull at power-on/boot?
I have no idea :v: Probably not much more than that, running Geekbench only ups the power use to 240 W max. Haven't measured while gaming because the PSU drops out constantly (software USB reset works) so it's pain in the rear end to monitor (HX1000i, latest 6.2 kernel)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SlowBloke posted:

iSCSI is block storage(it's showing a disk to your computer) while NFS/SMB is object storage(it's showing a folder to your computer). Performance is theoretical better for iSCSI if the NAS hasn't got a modern nfs/samba implementation, otherwise it's equivalent if not worse(load balance/multipath is a pain in the rear end compared to SMB for instance). Unless you have a very specific need(VMs) i would steer clear of iSCSI.

iSCSI can solve some permissions issues you can get with databases compared to SMB, or more complicated applications that use several users.

That said, in any case where this was, NFS also solved it for me too. NFS doesn't support any sort of authentication though, which seems problematic to me if you want to put anything confidential on there.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

iSCSI can solve some permissions issues you can get with databases compared to SMB, or more complicated applications that use several users.

That said, in any case where this was, NFS also solved it for me too. NFS doesn't support any sort of authentication though, which seems problematic to me if you want to put anything confidential on there.

The only current scenario where i see some merit to iscsi is clustering, op just wants quicker video edit serving so it's not the case.

NFSv4 supports user authentication, as long as your nas and clients support it you could use that to keep your shares secure.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

NFS and SMB aren't object storage, they're networking filesystems.

Putting object storage on top of a filesystem (it doesn't matter it's NFS, the filesystem datasets via the ZFS POSIX Layer, or UFS/EXT) isn't a good idea for the same reason that putting block storage on top of a filesystem isn't a good idea; you end up with a bunch of indirection in the hotpath of the code, which means it takes longer to process writes.

The primary advantage of iSCSI is that it presents to the remote OS as a local drive, in case you can't (or don't need) file sharing found in networked filesystems like NFS - and that it's the remote system that handles the filesystem operations.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 28, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

NFS and SMB aren't object storage, they're networking filesystems.

Putting object storage on top of a filesystem (it doesn't matter it's NFS, the filesystem datasets via the ZFS POSIX Layer, or UFS/EXT) isn't a good idea for the same reason that putting block storage on top of a filesystem isn't a good idea; you end up with a bunch of indirection in the hotpath of the code, which means it takes longer to process writes.

The primary advantage of iSCSI is that it presents to the remote OS as a local drive, in case you can't (or don't need) file sharing found in networked filesystems like NFS - and that it's the remote system that handles the filesystem operations.

You are right, I used the wrong term. It's just that most of the low end filers i currently handle can also do objects and my brain autocompleted. Talking as a complete profane, does making an iscsi lun on freenas or truenas let you keep using snapshotting options? Cause if that's not the case, op will need to keep that in mind.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 28, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

NFS doesn't support any sort of authentication though

Say what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Motronic posted:

Say what now?

I dunno, at least on Synology your only option is Kerberos auth, which is, uh, awful to try and use.