Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I've always used a stick with HK. The knight feels so similar to Lucina in Smash that it's incredibly easy for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wheeee posted:

sony controllers are ergonomic nightmares unless you have tiny child hands

False

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the ultimate controller is a mouse and keyboard

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Playing a platformer on M+KB is some psychopath poo poo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

WASD is the most precise D-pad

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

RCarr posted:

I once beat (100%) Mario 64 with keyboard. That was... unpleasant.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wheeee posted:

WASD is the most precise D-pad

:wrong:

Play on hitbox.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

DA

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RCarr posted:

This seems a bit harsh. I've beaten a lot of platformers with a keyboard, and I've never got the hang of controllers, so :shrug:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If it's a 2D game, keyboard is usually sufficient. I mean, just think of games like Jazz Jackrabbit back in the day, which were made for that kind of control scheme. I prefer a controller for 3D games though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

playing elden ring on keyboard, no mouse, only keyboard

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That joke bounces right off me, I played WoW for like 6 years using kb only tank controls w/ tab targeting

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Wheeee posted:

Xbox may be the shittiest console but they have the best controllers

Turn on your Xbox.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The shittiest modern console is the launch PS4, thing is loud and the capacitive buttons are garbage and break constantly. The slim was much better

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Xbone controller is my current go to for PC, it’s amazing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wheeee posted:

playing elden ring on keyboard, no mouse, only keyboard

This is literally how I beat dark souls 1 for the first time.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just buy an 8BitDo Pro 2, it has the d-pad in the correct location and you can get versions with either the Nintendo or Xbox face button arrangement.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 27, 2023

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Bloody Pom posted:

Just buy an 8BitDo Pro 2, it has the d-pad in the correct location and you can get versions with either the Nintendo or Xbox face button arrangement.

Except don’t get the Xbox version because the face buttons are objectively wrong.

But yeah 8Bitdo Ultimate is the best.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have The ultimate 2.4ghz and Bluetooth model for use with my Switch and my emulator box and it works great, I do recommend

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
Regarding the treehouse demo: there exists a thing called "vertical slice", which is a slice of an unfinished game which is polished to a release level of quality, in order to showcase how the game should feel like when finished. So, treehouse demo was probably just a vertical slice they prepared.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Bloody Pom posted:

oh yea forgot i have an SN30 i bought for the switch kicking around, that thing has a great D-pad, definitely recommend 8BitDo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've been putting off getting one simply because the name is so dumb. Was hoping they'd rename it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

No Wave posted:

Dual shock has the only usable d-pad everyone else insists on using a failed paradigm. If you mostly play 2D games it is the best choice of the 3 by far.
The Xbox pro elite 2 has an 8 way d pad attachment that is godly for like streets of rage 4 or Tekken.

Sadly I've returned it under extended warranty going to be 3 times now and that sucks.

I tried the thrust master eswap pro and thought it was good but it started stick drifting (I play rocket league)

I bought 2 ps5 controllers and one started stick drifting within a month or 2

I settled on yolo buying 3 of the newfangled gulikit kingkong 2 pro controllers which have magnetic stick action and shouldn't ever stick drift and am quite pleased with them, they also can do gyro targeting and are compatible with switch and most things.

They also feature 0 deadzone but you can add some if you like.

Full disclosure I got the target version which is supposed to be exactly the same because they were sold out at the time everywhere else.

Rocket league shreds controllers or I just get too excited and caveman the sticks and buttons too hard I guess.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just LOL if you don't play games using a 2600 controller.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here’s my weapon of choice for Hollow Knight.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Cartoon Man posted:

That's a lot of weight for a butt-plug but who am I to judge.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon Man posted:

:getin:

The only acceptable alternative to an Xbox product. It's got TWO buttons! Really takes me back...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can you believe silk song is coming out

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

RC Cola posted:

Can you believe silk song is coming out

*bapanada-ishly*  garama...

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Mobadis

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Heart forth, Alicia looks so good. I hope it comes out soon.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Mymla posted:

Heart forth, Alicia looks so good. I hope it comes out soon.

Fedule posted:

The great thing about being a backer of Heart Forth Alicia is that I will never be bothered by a late-running development ever again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

*looks at your rap sheet*

Well uhh.... I guess you would know??

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i played ori while jonesin for some metroidvania startin' a little snowy white creature thing

5/10

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Silksong coming out either May 10th or October 5th. Book it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Second Ori is a direct ripoff of Hollow Knight. I enjoyed it much more than the first.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Invalid Validation posted:

Second Ori is a direct ripoff of Hollow Knight. I enjoyed it much more than the first.

I liked the first one better because it was more it’s own thing

And the story wasn’t quite as far up its own rear end.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1653797575428800513?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.