Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Last time I looked into it hydrogen would need a revolution in materials technology for mass scale storage to be feasible, not to mention sourcing enough electricity to crack that much water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Complications posted:

Lemme put it like this - nuclear could have upset part of the fossil fuel industry's profits and in turn that industry supercharged a wing of the environmentalist movement and effectively neutralized the technology. These same fossil fuel companies are both promoting and seeking subsidies for hydrogen production. What does this signal to you?

the signal I see is that the current energy barons want to maintain dominance, and have something to gain by hydrogen fuel gaining traction. let me know if that's the wrong read tho

I understand that there will be hurdles to any true green energy, like the one you described. even if we've had advances in solar or wind or whatever, none of those advancements have led to the dismantling of existing dirty energy.

I'm still interested in the science or infrastructure that would be behind it; even if its doomed to perish against the political and capitalist machine

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
im late but i read this thread because it cheers me up. you might have a bad day at work but you can come here and see how much progress humanity has made working together to collapse the biosphere. we're a really incredible species.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

Last time I looked into it hydrogen would need a revolution in materials technology for mass scale storage to be feasible, not to mention sourcing enough electricity to crack that much water

Physics is cold, harsh, and unforgiving, but Chemistry cares about us even less and has less room to negotiate, Hydrogen is incredibly difficult to store because it loves bonding/reacting with other elements.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Apr 27, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It would be even harder to store if it was stable alone. Since it is lighter than Helium.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MightyBigMinus posted:

edit: replying to trab here, threads movin fast

see i think thats going to be mostly true but also mostly not matter because the economics on green will shoot past the economics on CCS faster than they have time to play the blue bullshit game.

but i entirely conceed this is well within the parameters of "who's running the regulator" and "who's sitting on the appeals court" and those are not hopeful venues in many scenarios.

in a lot of ways we’re agreeing that green hydrogen can and will have a place in a world if/when non-carbon electricity is dominant.

im just reflexively being a bit of a curmudgeon about hydrogen because all of the big baddies are betting on it hard. Because in between “X technology is a part of the solution” and “X is the solution” lies a lot of profits and emissions from trying to pretend that technology is something it isn’t.

it is the same with EVs, they’re certainly a big part of decarbonizing the transportation sector, but the people pretending they’re the entire answer are pushing us towards massive resource utilization for selfish reasons.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

On the one hand you have 200 years of humans waking up very early and working very hard to gently caress up the planet. Literally tens of billions of people producing trillions of "dollars" worth of "GDP".

On the other hand you have "green" hydrogen.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
technological and political feasibility aside, non-fossil fuel energy production and storage doesn't mean much on it's own unless it actually does replace rather than supplement carbon emitting energy sources. that's hard to do with capitalism unless you believe in the power of liberal democracy to set policies that meaningfully constrain capital or you believe that there will be a near-magical breakthrough of some energy storage medium that's easy to convert to from renewables and beats fossil fuels in energy density, ease of transport, etc and outcompetes it.

as long as there's a global market for carbon-emitting energy, carbon is going into the atmosphere. that doesn't mean alternative energy technology is useless, it just doesn't really do anything until it can outcompete fossil fuels (and it wont) or capitalism is finally destroyed. neither of those seem possible, especially if you're a comfortable westerner. but when croup says organize that's what he's getting at. it's shorthand for [REDACTED]

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

Lemme put it like this - nuclear could have upset part of the fossil fuel industry's profits and in turn that industry supercharged a wing of the environmentalist movement and effectively neutralized the technology. These same fossil fuel companies are both promoting and seeking subsidies for hydrogen production. What does this signal to you?

The environmentalists have little to do with the death of nuclear in the west. After all, if environmentalists had the power to stop power plants they’d be able to stop coal power plants too.

The death of nuclear in the west is because the levels of grifting and rent seeking in any large, complex, and capital intensive project have gotten bad enough all the power companies have learned their lesson.

The level of waste in the nuclear construction industry is massive. It’s so bad that in the USA, the learning rate for new reactors of the same design is negative. That is, as we build more of the same type of reactor, it gets more expensive rather than less. Even accounting for site specific or safety changes!

Number one cause of increased construction costs, excluding capital costs? Delays. Number one cause of delays? Waiting for tools.

And that’s not even getting into the number of reactors ruined like SONGS or Crystal River where they cheaped out and ooops, it broke and now we have to shut down the plant forever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Another to consider about why certain energy policies get pushed by energy companies is that CCS requires massive amounts of energy. So of course the companies that extract fossil fuels are into CCS it means they get to sell more coal/gas for the same amount of electricity/hydrogen out.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Navy gonna build massive nuclear ships and just sail them around the world hooking up to grids where there’s predicted heat waves and sell electricity at usurious rates

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AceClown posted:

you know that guy in Pompeii who, in the face of a deadly pyroclastic flow that was unavoidable, whipped his dick out and started bashing one out?

That's this thread and it owns

What really makes it this thread is that that never happened but people pretend it did because it's funnier

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What really makes it this thread is that that never happened but people pretend it did because it's funnier

Has that been proven, I'm interested. Show me the pyroclastic masturbation analysis.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

celadon posted:

Navy gonna build massive nuclear ships and just sail them around the world hooking up to grids where there’s predicted heat waves and sell electricity at usurious rates

My capitalist brain wonders how feasible a business model of building a nuke ship and then renting out the power would be. Does building a ship, posting up in a port, and deploying a mobile substation compare to building an actual nuke plant on site? I would imagine that you could at least benefit from the centralization a nuke shipyard would provide.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Has that been proven, I'm interested. Show me the pyroclastic masturbation analysis.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/apr/12/naturaldisasters.highereducation

Basically the incredibly high heat shock caused their bodies to stiffen and hunch and that guy happened to twitch his arm in such a way as to look like he was masturbating. There's lots of pictures of other people in similar poses but they aren't as memeable

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

maybe they were all jerking off. god knows i would be

edit: i know its late but to the person asking why we read this thread if we think its hopeless:

yeah i don't think we're going to suddenly change and avert the collapse of our biosphere. I don't read about it bc i am going to be the 'missing piece' to change everything. I read about it because it's happening, and i think that's reason enough

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What's a good way of fossilising myself? Maybe if I jerk off in some quicksand?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
bogs

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

DarkLich posted:

from reading this thread I've learned a bit more about hydrogen power, and that it's getting more political attention. I remember a teacher talking about it 20 years ago - cars that could run with only water as an output - but since then I haven't heard any murmurs about it becoming a real thing

does anyone have any articles or studies that discuss its present day viability? with a google search, all I see are press releases or pure-optimism articles.

Hydrogen is natural gas with extra steps. That also requires a new, parallel energy infrastructure to match petroleum distribution.

When we get cheap cold fusion reactors, it might be viable.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

225 new posts, croup what did you do

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mayor Dave posted:

Well, duh, we'll just harvest it from the Sun. It has plenty of hydrogen to spare. I am very smart. :smug:

a strange fowl posted:

225 new posts, croup what did you do

The best thing to do in situations like this is just to hit "last post" and not bother reading the buffer.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

declare thread bankruptcy. this thread tends to be shittiest whenever there's been a rash of new posts, and is best when it's at its typical pace

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Considering how to make sure that when I die from glacier peak or mt rainier or baker going or maybe even yellowstone if we are lucky, to make sure it looks like I was masturbating as I die and hope that my body stays that way for some future society to laugh at.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Climate Commission warns of fossil-fuelled NZ in 2050

quote:

Carbon from burning coal is "effectively permanent on human timescales" and can't be offset by planting trees, the commission said.

quote:

It also incorporated the latest science, which shows reducing emissions (through polluting less) and carbon removals (through sequestration) are “not directly equivalent”. This is due to “inconsistent timeframes”, the commission found.

“The carbon stored in fossil fuels has been locked away deep underground for millions of years. When fossil fuels are burnt, this carbon is released to the atmosphere and adds to the ‘active’ carbon cycle – the continual exchange between the atmosphere, land and ocean.”

Removing carbon from the active cycle takes hundreds of thousands of years, meaning new fossil carbon “is therefore effectively permanent on human timescales”.

By comparison, land-based carbon storage or burning involves carbon that is already part of that active cycle. Reversing it takes years or centuries.

“Releasing fossil carbon is fundamentally different from the release or storage of carbon on land from human activities,” the commission wrote.

In other words, while our accounting systems allow one tonne of carbon dioxide absorbed by a pine forest to offset a tonne of CO2 produced from burning coal, the atmosphere reacts differently.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Hubbert posted:

As per the Grand Goon Tribunal, I have determined that all posters in this thread have committed unspeakable and unfathomable crimes against humanity, life, and the biosphere itself.

You are hereby sentenced to death. There is no possible way in which we can be redeemed, as clearly everyone in the Biosphere Collapse thread is a useless and unforgivable cretin in the eyes of the average Kramer.

For the record, please state your crime - and why you undertook this action.

Personally, this morning, I used up the last of some coffee creamer as contained within a plastic receptacle, and I threw this plastic bottle into the trash.

The impact upon the Earth is inexcusable, and I must suffer for my crimes for the good of all who come after me.

I waste the valuable resources of the Earth in such frivolous ways as playing video games, making lovely music, and endlessly reading a dead internet forum.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
one day there's gonna be like 1000 new posts because half of antarctica snapped off. that'll be a good postin' day.

same reason i hover over the elon thread for the day he ODs

or the doomsday econ thread for the day the S&P hits -9999

or the covid thread for the day bird flu goes H2H

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

Considering how to make sure that when I die from glacier peak or mt rainier or baker going or maybe even yellowstone if we are lucky, to make sure it looks like I was masturbating as I die and hope that my body stays that way for some future society to laugh at.

The easiest way seems like it would be to just be masturbating when you die

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

im_sorry posted:

I waste the valuable resources of the Earth in such frivolous ways as playing video games, making lovely music, and endlessly reading a dead internet forum.

If you excuse me, I need to turn on my monitor ...

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The easiest way seems like it would be to just be masturbating when you die

What dildo material is both safe and non reactive enough to survive as long as a fossilized skeleton?

If glass doesn't shatter initially, it should last a nice long time. Stainless would probably corrode on these time scales.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Mola Yam posted:

one day there's gonna be like 1000 new posts because half of antarctica snapped off. that'll be a good postin' day.

eh dnd will be in demanding an explanation for why everyone's looking at antarctica instead of petitioning for hydrogen powered cruise ships or some poo poo

anyway here's a thing https://phys.org/news/2023-04-forests-climate.html

quote:

The study looked at forests in the Western U.S. and found that they are evolving to handle to warmer temperatures—something scientists call "thermophilization"—by becoming increasingly dominated by trees that are better able to tolerate the stress caused by heat and drought.

However, the researchers found that rate of this transformation is "lagging behind climate change by roughly tenfold." That's creating a situation where, the paper said, "forest trees are becoming increasingly mismatched with their environment." That means trees are more likely to die or be susceptible to fire or insect infestations.

Researchers from the University of California at Berkeley and the U.S. Forest Service analyzed the composition of roughly 50,000 forest plots in the Western states over 10-year periods. The USFS has undertaken multi-decade effort to build an inventory of trees on these plots to monitor long-term changes, and the researchers used this data and then mapped localized climate change data on top of it.

As worrisome, said Rosenblad, is how the ratio of trees is shifting. New species are not coming into the forests. Instead the change in composition is happening mostly because established species that prefer colder and wetter conditions—Douglas fir, for example—are dying and or are being weakened and attacked by insects.

That could lead to vast ecological change over centuries or perhaps even decades. "Places that are forested today may only be able to support grassland," Rosenblad said. "Try as we might, we may not be able to stop that."

The U.S. has more than 32 million acres of old-growth forests on public lands, according to a survey released earlier this month. Those mature trees are particularly valuable because of their ability to store a large amount of carbon. U.S. President Joe Biden's administration is expected to use information from that census as the basis for a new forestry policy that protects more old growth timber from logging.

However, as the study shows, stopping logging alone may not be nearly enough. In recent years rampant wildfires and beetle infestations have decimated millions of acres of trees, and driven in part by rising temperatures.

"Even if they remain forests, the type of forest will be very different," he added, "So for the people and animals who depend on these forests, this is going to be a drastic change and we need to start thinking about how we will adapt."

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

biceps crimes posted:

declare thread bankruptcy. this thread tends to be shittiest whenever there's been a rash of new posts, and is best when it's at its typical pace
unless there's been a proclamation by the prophet of cringe

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Erghh posted:

eh dnd will be in demanding an explanation for why everyone's looking at antarctica instead of petitioning for hydrogen powered cruise ships or some poo poo

The hydrogen thing is so silly. The problem is our energy comes from fossil power, you spend more energy turning water into combustable hydrogen and oxygen then you get from reversing that reaction

There's a not understanding of even the most basic scientific concepts there thats worse in its lack of understanding than thinking global warming is fake entirely

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Mola Yam posted:

same reason i hover over the elon thread for the day he ODs

or the doomsday econ thread for the day the S&P hits -9999

or the covid thread for the day bird flu goes H2H

It's like a race

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

700+ new posts...did something happen?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

someone posted a thing

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we were posting incorrectly, which is very troubling, so we were given some friendly advice on how to post correctly.

don't worry if you missed it, i'm sure the same half dozen folks will be by in a couple of weeks to do it all again.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Blockade posted:

The hydrogen thing is so silly. The problem is our energy comes from fossil power, you spend more energy turning water into combustable hydrogen and oxygen then you get from reversing that reaction

There's a not understanding of even the most basic scientific concepts there thats worse in its lack of understanding than thinking global warming is fake entirely

i wish i could understand why so many peoples brains do this. is there a way to phrase or visualize things that could get through to them, or is it completely hopeless and they just have to be treated like sortof family pet parrots. they can bleat some english, but clearly dont really understand the words they're using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

jetz0r posted:

What dildo material is both safe and non reactive enough to survive as long as a fossilized skeleton?

If glass doesn't shatter initially, it should last a nice long time. Stainless would probably corrode on these time scales.

medical grade titanium?