Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.
I have an Asrock 6900XT I bought used in the fall but it recently started crashing while gaming. It only happens after I’ve been gaming for a while, so the card is heat soaked. None of my temps in particular are super high, the gpu itself is around 75-80 usually, with a hot spot of 95-100, but it has happened even at 70 degrees. It won’t happen if the whole card is still cold.

I ran OCCT VRAM test and I get like 8 errors a minute while the card is warm. Does that mean my card is bad? I think it does but I’m hoping there’s something I can do to salvage it before I go buy a 4090.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheCobraEffect posted:

I have an Asrock 6900XT I bought used in the fall but it recently started crashing while gaming. It only happens after I’ve been gaming for a while, so the card is heat soaked. None of my temps in particular are super high, the gpu itself is around 75-80 usually, with a hot spot of 95-100, but it has happened even at 70 degrees. It won’t happen if the whole card is still cold.

I ran OCCT VRAM test and I get like 8 errors a minute while the card is warm. Does that mean my card is bad? I think it does but I’m hoping there’s something I can do to salvage it before I go buy a 4090.

I think it's likely that this is an ex-mining card and the memory has gone through a lot of abuse. The VRAM test returning some errors supports this theory.

My first thought is to try underclocking the memory slightly to see if that helps. See if you can do -200 MHz on the memory or something. You probably won't lose much performance and it may help keep things stable.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don't have any of those settings available to me right now since I removed the Adrenalin software and went with a driver only install.

install the full suite there is alot of useful things in there!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah. I know the traumatic stress response from dealing with Nvidia drivers is to go bare drivers only, no GFE, but this is not actually the case with AMD, at this current time.

(I will not be held responsible for this statement if this changes a few years down the line, like if Raja wheedles his way back into the fold, or something.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 28, 2023

TheCobraEffect
Jan 10, 2003
Snipes's bitch.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's likely that this is an ex-mining card and the memory has gone through a lot of abuse. The VRAM test returning some errors supports this theory.

My first thought is to try underclocking the memory slightly to see if that helps. See if you can do -200 MHz on the memory or something. You probably won't lose much performance and it may help keep things stable.

I tried this, same errors in OCCT and it crashes in the same way. Dang, guess I got unlucky in the used gpu market. Thanks!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What would be a good upgrade option from the 1070? The 4070 is expensive and I've heard it's not really all that great? The 3070 doesn't feel a whole lot cheaper either.

Granted I'm having a little bit of a "new shiny" urge so I don't know if I need to upgrade -right now- since it's doing the job for most of the stuff I play, but an upgrade might be nice since it's been so long. Like, I've got a quest 2, VR Chat via quest link runs alright, but when I tried that Valve VR tech demo (Hand Lab, I think) it was basically unplayably laggy, so I'm assuming Im going to struggle to run most VR stuff that's more involved then VRC.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

At this point they're literally just throwing random poo poo on these shits.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

What would be a good upgrade option from the 1070? The 4070 is expensive and I've heard it's not really all that great? The 3070 doesn't feel a whole lot cheaper either.

Granted I'm having a little bit of a "new shiny" urge so I don't know if I need to upgrade -right now- since it's doing the job for most of the stuff I play, but an upgrade might be nice since it's been so long. Like, I've got a quest 2, VR Chat via quest link runs alright, but when I tried that Valve VR tech demo (Hand Lab, I think) it was basically unplayably laggy, so I'm assuming Im going to struggle to run most VR stuff that's more involved then VRC.

A used 3080 10/12GB would be a nice upgrade, especially if you're around 2560x1440.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steckles posted:

That is exactly how zero bounce direct lighting works. The randomness comes in either when you’ve got large lights which can be partially occluded, or when you want to know what light is being reflected off non-light surfaces and contributing to the illumination at a particular spot. For that, you can only really do random sampling. There are lots of clever ways to increase the likelihood you’re shooting rays in “good” directions, but randomness is fundamentally baked into the whole concept.

VostokProgram posted:

It's a classic Monte Carlo approach. Shoot the rays randomly and sum the results. Keep adding rays until it converges. It's what they do for photorealistic renders for movies

You want a random sample but you don’t have to walk them in random order, right? I don’t get why you can’t do bounced light the same way, hmm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Craptacular! posted:

It feels like every generation of computer is hosed over by running four sticks of RAM. I was going to replace my 3700X because of this poo poo. gently caress.

I think Zen4 will get better here, because people are really going to want to run 128GB with the 79xx parts, but right now it’s definitely a bad idea. I have 2x32 still in the box because it was out of the return window when I watched the Level 1 Techs video.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

It feels like every generation of computer is hosed over by running four sticks of RAM. I was going to replace my 3700X because of this poo poo. gently caress.
I never had a problem running four sticks in the late 00s-early 10s. Granted, the platforms I was using them on were DDR2 platforms and non-Z Haswell (where you couldn't go above ddr3-1600) in those respective eras.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I never had a problem running four sticks in the late 00s-early 10s. Granted, the platforms I was using them on were DDR2 platforms and non-Z Haswell (where you couldn't go above ddr3-1600) in those respective eras.

In general “regular” PCs have topped out at two channels and two ranks per channel. Zen has always been “happiest” with all 4 ranks populated. That may mean 4 DIMMs or it may be 2 DIMMs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Jedi Survivor apparently has awful performance on all platforms. Being an AMD tie-in title doesn't help apparently, since they skipped DLSS and included a bad FSR implementation. But it is once again a game where every card in the 30-series can't play it at the resolutions the segmentation was intended for. So expect to play at 1080p on a 3070 and 1440p on a 3080ti because 4K requires 18GB of VRAM or some poo poo.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

As of tonight the following setting seemed to work:
5900X in "Game Mode," so only one CCD active
Radeon Chill on with Minimum at 238fps, Maximum at 239fps.
SAM disabled
GPU Tuning Minimum Frequency of 2800MHz, Maximum of 2900MHz, 1150mV.
Power Tuning at +15%
Enhanced Sync: Off
Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always On
Adaptive Sync Compatible: Enabled

I'm sure none of this will matter and the issue will reappear tomorrow, but figured I'd update with what mostly worked for this evening. Still frequently had GPU utilization dropping down into the 60% range. Starting to wonder if it's a power limitation, even though I should be well under the necessary power threshold and a giant 3x transient spike isn't shutting the system down or anything.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gave Jedi Survivor a shot since it's on the EA subscription plan and oof does it run poorly
I'm hitting framerates in the 50s on a 13600K/4090 on 1440P UW with FSR2 quality and RT

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

You want a random sample but you don’t have to walk them in random order, right? I don’t get why you can’t do bounced light the same way, hmm.
There are two problems that mean randomness will always be part of ray tracing.

The first is that to compute the incoming radiance at any given point, you need information about the entire scene. Each pixel needs to estimate the average colour within some cone of directions, depending on the BSDF of the material and the orientation of the geometry. To calculate that, you need to do the same for every single surface within that cone and to calculate those, you need all the surfaces in those cones and so on forever. That's obviously not a tractable problem, so sampling a random assortment of directions to some random depth of recursion is the best that we can do. Eliminate the randomness between pixels, and you end up with correlation artefacts which cause ugly banding when still and nasty flickering in motion.

The more fundamental problem is that to answer the question "can these two points in space see each other?", you need to load an unknowable-in-advance amount of geometry to make that determination. You can have two rays that start and end 1mm apart and one will need to check 1kb of geometry and the other will need to check 50mb worth because it took a different path through the BVH. No matter how coherently you're processing samples, you're still gonna end up being hit by bad memory access patterns when determining visibility.

There are a few ways to address these. For the visibility problem, going super async and batching a huge numbers of rays together or making sure your whole scene will fit in L2 cache are basically the only strategies that work. If you didn't mind false occlusions and light leaking, you could trace against low-resolution proxy geometry.

For sampling the path integrals, you can pick your random numbers in a way that maximizes the distance between points on the hypercube (Quasi-Monte Carlo), you can sample clusters of rays when you find a path with a high contribution (MLT, MEMLT, Path Guiding, Too many others to list), you can sample clusters of random numbers when you find a good point on the hypercube (PSSMLT), you can try to share rays between pixels when you find a path with a high contribution (ERPT, ReSTIR), you can use some proxy representation of scene radiance (Voxel Cone Tracing, Light Probes, VPLs), or you can use a surface based approach where radiance is computed at fixed locations and each pixel is interpolated from it's nearest neighbors (Radiosity, Surfels, Photon Mapping, plain old Light Maps). All of these serve to minimize randomness, but come with various tradeoffs in maximum quality, time to image, or memory usage and you can always come up with some pathological scene geometry that will make any algorithm perform badly

steckles fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 28, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Sebasti66855537/status/1651828680706998273?t=lL5WAGk-0jnJAqtIzgcjaA&s=19

Lol

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

the gently caress

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

yep, that's a cpu bottleneck. the game engine is unable to effectively utilize more than a few threads, and your gpu will end up at below 100% utilization most of the time. Not even the 7800X3D can get a consistent 60fps. GPU and resolution are almost irrelevant.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 28, 2023

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Almost sounds more like a CPU bug then a CPU bottleneck per se.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the good news this time is it's broken on everything not just pc, so not merely a terrible port

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It's funny how people, after years and years of cycles of hype and disappointments still run and buy games at launch, let alone pre-order digital games.

Why would developers bother to get their poo poo right from the get go?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But how else are people supposed to participate in memes and Twitter slapfights with maximum attention on launch day?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

star wars may run like poo poo but it has the :frogout: frog in 4K Ultra HD so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1651264103510421506

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
he's got his job work out for him

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1651157886830014469

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
And the corporation shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Crypto shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great scalping of parts.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

steckles posted:

There are two problems that mean randomness will always be part of ray tracing.

Thanks, this was great.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
another apology tweet for the collection

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651990800862183426

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

tired: day one patch

inspired: day one apology

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Their framing of the performance issues is kind of weird though. It's not just "high-end machines" that are underperforming. If high-end hardware struggles to hit 60, then you better believe that midrange and low-end hardware are even worse off.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't know what audience their specification of the problem is for either. maybe it's just what happens when an apology from developers has to go several corporate layers like legal+marketing+social

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Their framing of the performance issues is kind of weird though. It's not just "high-end machines" that are underperforming. If high-end hardware struggles to hit 60, then you better believe that midrange and low-end hardware are even worse off.

to me it reads like "well it's your fault for running windows 10 and its your fault for running a 4090 with a not amazing cpu" which is just stupid bullshit writ large

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Low end systems were supposed to suck, clearly, so expectations met.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HUB warned us that these ports meant that the 4090 was basically a 480p GPU now, but you all thought you knew better :jerkbag:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I think a big part of it was mid-range systems were ok (a 3060ti runs at like 45 fps on Ultra 1440p and over 60 on 1080p Ultra), but setting lower settings does very little and higher end GPUs appear to not be used at all. It's even playable on a 3050! So it's more complex than "Runs poorly".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

I think a big part of it was mid-range systems were ok (a 3060ti runs at like 45 fps on Ultra 1440p and over 60 on 1080p Ultra), but setting lower settings does very little and higher end GPUs appear to not be used at all. It's even playable on a 3050! So it's more complex than "Runs poorly".

It’s absolutely a bug. If we’re throwing out wild guesses something is locking up the game loop and some large amount of the cpu time is spent spinning instead of telling the GPU what to do.

GPU utilization is a bad thing to measure but 36% probably means something in the game logic is seriously broken. I wonder if the 4090 is even clocking up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rumormill is that actually it runs pretty well in its recommended hardware of a 11600K and an RX6700XT, which could imply that it has thread scheduling problems on both multi-CCD AMD chips and the heterogeneous core Intel chips.

Hell, I want to see a review from someone on a $99 Core i3-13100F. I bet it runs great on those.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

repiv posted:

star wars may run like poo poo but it has the :frogout: frog in 4K Ultra HD so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

https://twitter.com/lukeisamazing/status/1651264103510421506

It also has cantina band music from two real-world bands that I quite like (and two that I don't know, but who seem pretty good), performing under SW themed aliases.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1ldPSreHFSpICI8VVNK5rL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

hobbesmaster posted:

something is locking up the game loop and some large amount of the cpu time is spent spinning instead of telling the GPU what to do.

Frog croaking