Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I have to sit on it for three weeks before giving it so it may end up getting a few mods in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

tokin opposition posted:

Thank you, I'll take a look at these! One question, the K10 says

Does this mean it won't work with generic keycaps or am I misunderstanding something?

For media, all I really care about is something quick and easy to change the volume if I'm in a fullscreen game or a work meeting or something.

You just need to be aware of whatever sizes the keycap set you're buying has.

Keycaps are measured in "unit" sizes. 1 unit or "1u" keycaps are the ones that are all the letters and numbers on the board. They are approximately the same height and width.
Modifiers like Ctrl, Alt, Menu, Shift, Tab, and so on can be different sizes and usually are on most staggered layout boards. These are the keys you should be primarily concerned with when looking at keyset compatibility.
Besides the width, the other two aspects of a keycap that need concern are the row profile and the legends.
Row profile is the shape of the keycap and how that corresponds to the rest of the board. On non-uniform profile keycaps (most keycap sets are this way), the height and pitch of the top of the keycap will differ with each row.
So if you for example need a 1.75u shift key but don't have one, you should be aware that trying to substitute something like a caps lock key will result in the wrong profile keycap in that position, Because CapsLock is a row 3 profile (depending on the manufacturer nomenclature) but Shift is a row 4.
Row profiles are different across different manufacturers. So MT3 profile is numbered 0-1-2-3-4-5 and each row is different. GMK is usually numbered 1-1-2-3-4-4 so two of the rows share keycap shapes with another row. Sometimes GMK also has a row 5 instead of a second row 4. Just something to be aware of.

https://www.keycaps.info/ is a good site for visualizing the different keycap profile shapes for reference.

Now look at the layout of the Q10 and the keycap sizes of each of the keycaps:

and look at the keycaps in the set you are considering

Do all the keys you need for your board exist in the basekit image? If not, are they in other kits that are sold?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 24, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any thoughts on the Keychron Q3?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9237

seems to tick all my boxes

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Deviant posted:

Any thoughts on the Keychron Q3?

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=9237

seems to tick all my boxes

Looks like it costs a grip. What’s the advantage over a Corsair K95 for instance with these keychrons. Same switches

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

To put it another way, what particular boxes is it checking that are not checked by the several other companies you were recommended or any of the others you've looked at? The ones who aren't the company you were warned will gleefully tell you to go gently caress yourself.

Idk why, but I swear when we tell people that it makes them want to buy Keychrons more, not less. :iiam:

From what I've seen, TKLs seem to be a format that a lot of value board makers focus on. So if that's what you want, the pros in here should absolutely be able to help you find you a good alternative (as long as they know what you're looking for).

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Looks like it costs a grip. What’s the advantage over a Corsair K95 for instance with these keychrons. Same switches

Keychron Q3 is full aluminum, has hotswap sockets, and is very easy to disassemble and swap parts, modify, etc. Given all of those differences, it becomes difficult to recommend a board like the Corsair K95 unless you just really like how it looks. Otherwise, it's a much more limiting product, at a higher price. Keychron support isn't great, but if you order from Amazon you'll be fine.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Well, what I'm looking for is
- aluminum
- high profile case
- rgb
- hot swap
- rotary encoder
- full QMK/VIA

basically i want my massdrop ctrl to not be a piece of poo poo (but that's unlikely to happen) and it's fine with VIA flashed to it, but VIA and QMK don't reach max brightness on the LEDs

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Deviant posted:

Well, what I'm looking for is
- aluminum
- high profile case
- rgb
- hot swap
- rotary encoder
- full QMK/VIA

basically i want my massdrop ctrl to not be a piece of poo poo (but that's unlikely to happen) and it's fine with VIA flashed to it, but VIA and QMK don't reach max brightness on the LEDs

i just upgraded from a drop alt to a Keychron q2, and I am quite happy with the change.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Gearman posted:

Keychron Q3 is full aluminum, has hotswap sockets, and is very easy to disassemble and swap parts, modify, etc. Given all of those differences, it becomes difficult to recommend a board like the Corsair K95 unless you just really like how it looks. Otherwise, it's a much more limiting product, at a higher price. Keychron support isn't great, but if you order from Amazon you'll be fine.

Will Amazon cover you on stuff that happens outside their 30 day return window? Most of the dead key row stories I've seen didn't happen immediately (although in fairness, I don't know if their QA problems impact the Q series as much as the cheaper boards).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Unsinkabear posted:

Will Amazon cover you on stuff that happens outside their 30 day return window? Most of the dead key row stories I've seen didn't happen immediately (although in fairness, I don't know if their QA problems impact the Q series as much as the cheaper boards).

Nope! If that happens to you, you're hosed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Chase Purchase Protection will cover me for 120 days at least should I go that route and they poo poo the bed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm doing research for a new keyboard, and I feel like this is silly question, but:

Is there a solid wireless (2.4GHz dongle) TKL Mechanical Keyboard & Mouse Combo?

I plan to use it for work (design programs, editing), casual gaming (no online arena FPS, anyway). Ideally I'd like to unplug it from my desktop and plug it into my PS5 for a few games (like Frostpunk or FFXIV) without wires across the room.

It seems like trying to add a decent mouse that uses the same dongle is just kinda foolish?

I don't really care about RGB, but light up keys would be fine.

It seems like the Razer BlackWidow V3 Mini and a Razer Mouse, like the DeathAdder V2 or the Orochi V2 can be paired to the same dongle, and I'm open to doing something like that.

I'd appreciate any opinions or feedback, maybe a point in the right direction?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Franchescanado posted:

I'm doing research for a new keyboard, and I feel like this is silly question, but:

Is there a solid wireless (2.4GHz dongle) TKL Mechanical Keyboard & Mouse Combo?

I plan to use it for work (design programs, editing), casual gaming (no online arena FPS, anyway). Ideally I'd like to unplug it from my desktop and plug it into my PS5 for a few games (like Frostpunk or FFXIV) without wires across the room.

It seems like trying to add a decent mouse that uses the same dongle is just kinda foolish?

I don't really care about RGB, but light up keys would be fine.

It seems like the Razer BlackWidow V3 Mini and a Razer Mouse, like the DeathAdder V2 or the Orochi V2 can be paired to the same dongle, and I'm open to doing something like that.

I'd appreciate any opinions or feedback, maybe a point in the right direction?

Corsair's Slipstream mice and keyboard can pair to the same dongle too: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403252301965-How-to-Set-up-SLIPSTREAM-Multipoint-in-iCUE

Logitech's Unifying Receiver does the same for their products

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Logitech has Bolt which is their new general office gear transciever and Lightspeed for their gaming devices which also support multiple devices to one receiver in some capacity. I believe it was a feature added to lightspeed in the last year that only supports some newer devices, though:
https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/7707694960663

quote:

Mice

G303 Shroud Edition
G705
Pro X Superlight
The G502 X line (G HUB 2022.8 onwards)

Keyboards

G715
G915
G915 TKL

So not everything works for Lightspeed, for example my G502 wireless and G915 TKL won't work together, I guess, I'd need a 502X.

With Bolt they say up to 6 devices for one receiver:
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/business/work-setups/logi-bolt-wireless-technology.html

If you're not worried about sick headshots with low latency lightspeed isn't that important (and all the stuff on that list is pretty pricey). I do like my G915 TKL but it's low profile switches so not exactly a standard TKL, although the layout is, and I usually pick it up and put it on my lap while gaming since it's on a secondary system. I think over time that would be a bad wrist position but it's usually for short durations while I'm using two computers at once.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Seems my Keycap are shipping from Beijing

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Domikey pumper cyberpunk, no less.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rexxed posted:

I'd suggest considering low profile switches if you like laptop style keyboards and don't like deep presses.

A though I have on this subject is is that, for plain typing, that deep keypress means you are bottoming out.

Bottoming out is not good for ergonomics because you put much more stress into your fingers against that solid contact. Even on a laptop style shallow throw that is a factor to consider. (I feel like the shallow press does alleviate some stress, in that the resistance force needed tends to be lower so you're not "following through" as hard. But you're still striking the bottom.)

IMO what someone in this position might need is to find a switch with the right amount of spring force + feedback so they don't bottom out, or maybe barely bottom in a low-stress way.

For me this has been cherry clears, which made a huge difference to my typing comfort over the years since I got the board I use. I don't type on it with a loud CLACK-CLACK-CLACK. It's barely louder than a rubber dome most of the time. I'm not striking the bottom of the key throw most of the time, or only very lightly.

Before this I had browns and blues. Browns I used for quite some time but they didn't have enough feedback for me to really absorb it at a subconscious level. I needed to concentrate on typing to avoid bottoming. The blues were pretty good, except I couldn't stand the clicky noise for long. If someone made a blue switch that damped the sound from the interior slider, that might be my ideal switch. (OTOH it would still suck for videogames, so I'd need 2 keyboards.)

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have a Corsair K95? It has these extra six “G” macro keys on the left side and they aren’t registering on my computer. I can’t download Icue because it’s a work computer. Work has a built in macro-making software but it doesn’t register anything when I press the “g” keys

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MuadDib Atreides posted:

Anyone have a Corsair K95? It has these extra six “G” macro keys on the left side and they aren’t registering on my computer. I can’t download Icue because it’s a work computer. Work has a built in macro-making software but it doesn’t register anything when I press the “g” keys
I believe the K95 has onboard memory so you should be able to take it home, plug it in to a computer you can install iCUE on, configure the G keys to send something useful (F13-F24 are often a good choice), and then it should work on whatever you plug it in to.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

wolrah posted:

I believe the K95 has onboard memory so you should be able to take it home, plug it in to a computer you can install iCUE on, configure the G keys to send something useful (F13-F24 are often a good choice), and then it should work on whatever you plug it in to.

This is correct, I used to do this to use a corsair board/mouse for my work laptop

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Bottoming out isnt bad, I refuse to believe this bs keyboard myth. Type how you like.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eh if you mostly use your keyboard for gaming and shitposting then you probably don't need to worry overmuch about bottoming out. If you actually type for hours per day, however, yeah... yeah, you really really need to not bottom out every keystroke.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

By the way, speaking of painful stress-over-time injuries and keyboards, do any split keyboards exist that:

1) are just a keyboard in two pieces, not in a crazy shape
2) have mechanical keyswitches
and 3) cost under $150

Because I am actually typing these words on two keyboards laid out side by side. I'm getting old and my wrists have set off the warning flares that my days of keeping my hands only a few inches apart are nearing their end. I'm content to keep doing this if I must, but an actual simple split keyboard would be favorite. I have no use for backlighting or any other kind of bells or whistles.

e: my poking around suggests the answer is no, such keyboards start at $200-ish, and also I should have added (4) not a weird 60/70% layout with arrow and nav keys all smushed in against enter and right-shift, because standard TKL is the smallest I'm interested in. Side by side TKL keebs it is.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 27, 2023

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eh if you mostly use your keyboard for gaming and shitposting then you probably don't need to worry overmuch about bottoming out. If you actually type for hours per day, however, yeah... yeah, you really really need to not bottom out every keystroke.

With modern mechanical keyboards that have a variety of softer gasket mounts, top mounts, and float mounts, in addition soft plates like POM and FR4, bottoming out is cushioned quite a bit. Some of the most popular switches right now are designed with longer poles specifically for the bottom-out feel.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

By the way, speaking of painful stress-over-time injuries and keyboards, do any split keyboards exist that:

1) are just a keyboard in two pieces, not in a crazy shape
2) have mechanical keyswitches
and 3) cost under $150

Because I am actually typing these words on two keyboards laid out side by side. I'm getting old and my wrists have set off the warning flares that my days of keeping my hands only a few inches apart are nearing their end. I'm content to keep doing this if I must, but an actual simple split keyboard would be favorite. I have no use for backlighting or any other kind of bells or whistles.

e: my poking around suggests the answer is no, such keyboards start at $200-ish, and also I should have added (4) not a weird 60/70% layout with arrow and nav keys all smushed in against enter and right-shift, because standard TKL is the smallest I'm interested in. Side by side TKL keebs it is.

Keeb.io sells a bunch of different split kits for under $100:
https://keeb.io/collections/kbo-5000-split-staggered-80-keyboard

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah not looking to build it myself, still appreciate the link--might be helpful for others!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
https://keeb.io/collections/pre-built-keyboards/products/quefrency-keyboard-pre-built

Could mess around with the options until you hit about $150

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are there good keycaps better than what I’d find for $30 on amazon but cheaper than the $130 sets reddit seems to enjoy? I haven’t been pleased with what I’ve found on amazon: they look good but don’t fit quite right and don’t feel great to type on, like they’re all shaped a little differently and get stuck occasionally. Are there good brands out there that aren’t gmk? I’m really tempted by the gmk stuff, but I don’t want to spend more on keys than I did for the board and switches.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Are there good keycaps better than what I’d find for $30 on amazon but cheaper than the $130 sets reddit seems to enjoy? I haven’t been pleased with what I’ve found on amazon: they look good but don’t fit quite right and don’t feel great to type on, like they’re all shaped a little differently and get stuck occasionally. Are there good brands out there that aren’t gmk? I’m really tempted by the gmk stuff, but I don’t want to spend more on keys than I did for the board and switches.

Cannon keys and novel keys have both the expensive stuff and their own cheaper stuff for more like $70-80 range. And according to keyboard influencers, they’re really solid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Cannon keys and novel keys have both the expensive stuff and their own cheaper stuff for more like $70-80 range. And according to keyboard influencers, they’re really solid.

Thanks!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Have been messing around with the QK60 and drat this thing sucks. Unreliable software, messy firmware update, feet keep falling off and the lilac colour is so much more muted than the renders suggested.

Never getting a group buy from qwerty keys again.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

My Q2 Pro arrived today.

I've never had a board with sculpted keycaps before (KSA) and they will take some getting used to. I have also decided I need a wrist rest.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

ijyt posted:

Have been messing around with the QK60 and drat this thing sucks. Unreliable software, messy firmware update, feet keep falling off and the lilac colour is so much more muted than the renders suggested.

Never getting a group buy from qwerty keys again.

They also claim to offer Google Pay as a checkout option, but it will say your payment method failed and suggest you use a different payment method with them directly, every time, no matter how many different browsers or payment methods you try. I managed to reach out to their customer service thanks to the magic of Google translate, and (politely) explained what was happening and that I wanted to give them money but wasn't going to just put my card info directly into some rando website's unknown cart software. I asked if there was anything they could do to fix the issue or at least assist, but it's been weeks and they refused to respond to any questions about it in both English and Google-translated Romanian (despite sending me abandoned cart emails all the while). The whole thing reeked.

The keycaps I wanted are now sold out anyway, but between those two experiences, I'm going to say just don't order from them period.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 28, 2023

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

I left my computer at work and my home computer is a crapple so this may be a no-go.

My keycaps are still in china trying to clear customs. THey're beautiful. can't wait to "get clacking" so to speak

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Wrist rests are bad, better to have table/chair at right level with each other.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

teraflame posted:

It's mostly due to the height of the board and the keycaps.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, no amount of chair and table height balance makes up for funky wrist angle from a tall or even medium height keyboard. A hard wrist rest from Wooting cleared up a lot of pain for me after I got my NJ80.

And yes, I know we're all supposed to hover our hands, but who the gently caress can actually do that all day long?

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, no amount of chair and table height balance makes up for funky wrist angle from a tall or even medium height keyboard. A hard wrist rest from Wooting cleared up a lot of pain for me after I got my NJ80.

And yes, I know we're all supposed to hover our hands, but who the gently caress can actually do that all day long?

my used K95 corsair keyboard came with a built in wrist rest that was covered in gamer grunge despite being Used-very good condition from amazon.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

teraflame posted:

Wrist rests are bad for wrists. Resting your palms on them between typing is fine. When typing, proper position is to have the palms floating. But typing with a wrist rest pressing against your wrists is indeed not good for long term RSI issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

LionArcher posted:

Wrist rests are bad for wrists. Resting your palms on them between typing is fine. When typing, proper position is to have the palms floating. But typing with a wrist rest pressing against your wrists is indeed not good for long term RSI issues.

I keep my wrist rests at the edge of the table and rest the middle of forearm on them.