Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween horror nights is better anyway. It’s got gore and blood and cool poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CelticPredator posted:

Halloween horror nights is better anyway. It’s got gore and blood and cool poo poo

The main problem with HHN is that the entry ticket is cheaper but it’s made up for by the $80 skip the line pass you gotta have if you even want a chance of doing everything

e: or be able to get in on press preview night

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Coasterphreak posted:

The main problem with HHN is that the entry ticket is cheaper but it’s made up for by the $80 skip the line pass you gotta have if you even want a chance of doing everything

e: or be able to get in on press preview night

Starts at $110 a night this year.

I have to say though, I splurged for the $500 frequent fear with express one year and it was glorious. I had nights where my wait times never hit double digits.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Get the $120 first ~14 nights pass and go twice. Boom, everything.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Oogie Boogie Bash >>>> Not So Scary

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/thrillgeek/status/1651928560481755138?s=20

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Jesus is going to be sad they are destroying his temple

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Anya posted:

Who do you think is driving the excavator?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
True
Hopefully he enjoys it a little then

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

BlueBayou posted:

Oogie Boogie Bash >>>> Not So Scary

This isn’t even fair. Oogie Boogie is awesome as hell.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anya posted:

Adventhealth is building a hospital there, he'll be fine.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Very true. They can do whatever weirdness it is over there in his honor.

Finally got to ride Tron tonight. As a motion sick person - I rode it about 15 min after slamming a seafood roll with no Dramamine and only felt mildly queasy - so it’s automatically a fav of mine and better than GOTG.

Nighttime riding is so beautiful and we timed it with HEA so right as we popped under the canopy, we got all the extra booms.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm thinking (hoping) to do DL this year, but some day I really want to go to Florida to ride Tron and Flight of Passage.

In the meantime though I'm just glad Disney is beginning to remember that Tron exists again. The way it got utterly buried the moment that the company bought Lucasfilm was kind of sad.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Craptacular! posted:

I'm thinking (hoping) to do DL this year, but some day I really want to go to Florida to ride Tron and Flight of Passage.

In the meantime though I'm just glad Disney is beginning to remember that Tron exists again. The way it got utterly buried the moment that the company bought Lucasfilm was kind of sad.

Tron didn’t buried because of GE per se, it was supposed to be a pretty quick follow up to ROTR but Covid put the kybosh on that and Guardians. The only reason it didn’t slow down hub construction in Epcot is because it easily had three plus years to go.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Coasterphreak posted:

Tron didn’t buried because of GE per se, it was supposed to be a pretty quick follow up to ROTR but Covid put the kybosh on that and Guardians. The only reason it didn’t slow down hub construction in Epcot is because it easily had three plus years to go.

I think they meant TRON as an IP, not the ride specifically.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, that’s probably true, between SW and the MCU there’s plenty of futuristic sci-fi these days

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, I kind of meant more just in general. ElecTRONica at California Adventure wasn't my scene but it was neat anyway. I bought some of the merch for that event, still have my lightcycle shirt from the Gone Hollywood store at DCA. That Disney XD cartoon was badass until the network jerked it around every which way (new episodes at 2AM) as the network became obviously uncomfortable with the amount of fantasy violence depicted and ready to move onto Jedis. When I saw the former head of programming for Disney XD was laid off this week I did feel a small sense of petty justice.

Disney just decided they can only support one boys franchise at a time, and wanting to be a Jedi was the new wanting to be a Pirate after POTC.

Honestly though if you liked Tron Legacy at all you should check out the Uprising cartoon on Disney+. It didn't last long enough to find it's legs but it does expand on the world beyond Flynn's perspective and even does an episode that flashes back to the original movie, right down to Legacy's turquoise sky changing back to the cobalt hue of the original. The voice acting is also well above typical cartoon casting (Elijah Wood, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens, Lance Henriksen, Lance Reddick in a few episodes.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 29, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tron also isn’t popular and Legacy didn’t turn a profit.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The problem with Tron is that the most accessible media - the movies - are bad. I love Tron, but it’s cheesy, the pacing is all over the place, and a lot of the visuals have not aged gracefully (lol the MCP’a face). Tron Legacy has some cool bits but it ignores the foundational premise of it being a computer. There are almost no nods to it, whereas the entire plot of the first one was based on that idea.

The best piece of Tron media is 2.0. It actually follows up on a lot of the premises of the first movie in an interesting way also the bar in it is called The Progress Bar, which they didn’t do in Legacy because they’re cowards.

Edit: honestly, similar to avatar, where the visuals were the most memorable part of the package, Tron as a Parks IP makes a ton of sense.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 30, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
banger soundtrack though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tron Legacy is probably one of the last times Disney took a risk and made something wild and cool. It’s a masterpiece in my opinion

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, I'm not going to pretend that the 80s TRON is good; it's generally boring when it isn't bad.

I was more just promoting that the Uprising cartoon is a good short production that expanded on the world Legacy set. It looks kind of like Legacy crashed through a Gorillaz video, and has people who are actually good actors, and Disney XD execs just had a huge hate-boner for it before ditching it for Rebels (a show I also liked for a season and a half before tuning out.)

EDIT: According to this video it apparently did have someone tied to Gorillaz, so that explains that.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Rebels is still consistently the best Star Wars show ever made. The back half is amazing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, my not watching was more due to disinterest in Star Wars as a property (and maybe a little about it becoming a pseudo followup to Clone Wars, which I never watched.) It was still a good show, and Sabine is my favorite character not from any of the trilogies.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Less than a week until my first Disney trip in over 20 years, and my first with little kids that aren’t me.

Since I’m bringing little kids and taking a midday break, it’d be nice to use Genie+ on the lower demand rides to skip shortish lines, but still be able to build up ‘big’ rides for the afternoon.

I’ve read up on how to use Genie+, but how does stacking work if you’ve scanned into at least one of your rides before the 2hr mark? Before you reach the 2 hr mark, do you have to go on all your existing lightning lane rides to book another one? Or can you book a new lightning lane after checking into a ride before your 2hr mark but still have other future lightning lanes stacked?

Say-
7a Book Ride A for a 9:30am slot
9a Book Ride B for a 3pm slot
11a Book Ride C for a 12pm slot
Check into C at 12:05p- Can I book Ride D now? Or do I need to wait for 1pm?

Ultimately we’re just going to have a good time and not try to power through everything, but I figure it doesn’t hurt to understand how the mechanics work before getting there and spending $$$.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stacking is for long wait rides late in the day. You can't stack if you're using it actively throughout.

You get 1 at 7am and your next 2 hours after park open, not at 9am. Then 2 hours after you book ride B you get another, etc.

So people use it to stack up 4 or 5 busy rides in the late afternoon to evening, eg:
7am book ride 1
~10am book ride 2
Noon book ride 3
2pm book ride 4
4pm book ride 5

Every ride booked is after the time you’re stopping the stacking.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 2, 2023

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So basically having rides booked for the late afternoon would prevent me from using genie+ for ‘quick’ rides in the late morning/early afternoon (except when I hit the end of the two hour booking window)?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, if you check in using lightning lane and still have another reserved later, you don’t get a new reservation. That apparently used to be a thing somehow I guess? It doesn’t work now though.

I edited my post to be a bit clearer. Tldr though is you stack them all up before you use any of them. Once you start riding, no more stacking.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 2, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Worth a look for those of you in the US: https://starwarsgalactic.shopdisneysweepstakes.com/?CMP=SOC-DPFY23Q1DIENT0095

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Off to WDW with inlaws then onto the Wish for a cruise with them. Heaven help me.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

seeing happily ever after even on a stream for the first time since 2021 is amazing. Man, i missed that show.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
They added sparkle effects and some lasers too, along with the Main Street Projections and it hits even harder than before. I teared up multiple times.

We typically stack in the afternoon for Hollywood Studios, Sunday we rope dropped MK, did a bunch of stuff, (small world HM, big Thunder, pirates, TRON VQ, buzz, crystal palace) and then went back to our resort - then knocked out Falcon, MMRR, Toy Story Mania, with a dinner at the BBQ, then Slinky and TOT, Fantasmic too - all after 3pm for start times.

There’s waves to how the LL move throughout the day, and you don’t have to stay glued to your phone all day, despite what people constantly say.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there an idiots guide to best using Genie+ / Lightning Lanes etc?

We went and December and I feel like I never truly understood how the system works, also I feel like we preordered genie+? But now my wife says for our trip in June we have to buy it each day starting at midnight. Seems weird.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney made it day of purchase only so they can flex the pricing a lot more.

You can make your first reservation at 7am, then they become available in 2 repeating ways: Once you've tagged into your current reservation, or 2 hours after you made your last one (with one exception, the 2 hour countdown only begins at park open for bookings made before then like the 7am one.) If you have multiple outstanding because of the 2 hour rule, you do not get a new one on tag in until they're all cleared.

So the most common way people use it is to book something soon, and choose something new as soon as you're checked in and in line for that. Then just bounce that way throughout the day.

Stacking is for literally stacking the long line, in demand stuff for later in the afternoon/evening. During the time while you're actively stacking your reservations you can still do anything else, standby lines/shows/etc.

Essentially it's a quantity vs. quality choice. This assumes in demand = good, which isn't actually true with a lot of the MK rides (looking at you, Peter Pan) but I think you know what I mean.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Rode on Tron yesterday. The ride is definitely not for me, but I fully admit that's a personal take. I'm not a huge launch coaster fan (something about the anticipation of it is worse on my nerves) and the seat really wasn't terribly comfortable for prepping for that.

Cool ride and decent theming though but I definitely don't need to put myself through it every trip.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I didn't find it uncomfortable physically, but like... it felt wrong and weird to be sitting that way.

Also it's not really good for your neck and back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aphrodite posted:

Also it's not really good for your neck and back.

Yup, it's the combination of g force pulling your neck down and your natural tendency to pull up with no support for your shoulders or neck. I rode it a day after mountain biking and it felt like I pulled something in my shoulder when I got off (felt no pain before riding).

I was pleasantly surprised at how easily I fit as a 6'3" 200lb guy though. It was a lot better than Flights for me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is the seats they added for large people any more comfortable? I wonder if I can have the option of riding in one of those for at least the first time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rear car has normal sit down seats with a lap bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I have a feeling that’s where I’ll be, as a plus sized person. I’m ok with it.