Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I finished Corpse Factory and it was a decently fun time. I'm not sure the overall plot and especially the endings really landed, but there's some really interesting writing in there with every POV character being an absolutely messed up person, a mix of psychological disorders, fears, anxieties, and just full on crazies.

It was definitely interesting seeing from the other characters perspectives, with motives and behaviour getting examined and people's internal monologues conflicting with the explanations and assumptions you're fed from one characters eyes.

It definitely stretched believability the further into the plot it got, kinda wandering from what felt like a somewhat grounded opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got confused with Corpse Party for a sec

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Darcy so far. :allears: If something bad happens to her, I will flip my poo poo, I love her and her weird stoned expression.

In other news, something called Ghostpia is getting localized and releasing next month; looks like it already released in March in Japan. Anybody have any thoughts?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Read After Burning posted:

Speaking of, what/how is Chicken Police? It looks cheesy as hell, and I mean this as a compliment.
It's great. The voice acting in particular is delightful.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Sorry to butt in but I've just finished Clannad and had a great time, if you can describe it as such given the story. I'm kinda interested in playing the dev's other stuff, what's the word on Air, Kanon, etc.? I've read the last ~10 pages of the thread and haven't seen those mentioned once so I guess people don't play them as much or mostly everyone already played them?

Fate/Stay Night is also one of the VNs I've been hearing about since forever and would like to play it but there doesn't seem to be a good/easy way to buy it digitally, correct?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

lordfrikk posted:

Sorry to butt in but I've just finished Clannad and had a great time, if you can describe it as such given the story. I'm kinda interested in playing the dev's other stuff, what's the word on Air, Kanon, etc.? I've read the last ~10 pages of the thread and haven't seen those mentioned once so I guess people don't play them as much or mostly everyone already played them?

I worked on Rewrite and was pleasantly surprised by it; the studio has a reputation for making sappy tearjerkers, and there was definitely a little bit of that in there, but mostly it starts out as a goofy high school comedy and turns into... okay, imagine one of those Cold War spy-fi action dramas with gizmos and gadgets and the threat of global nuclear war, except instead it's rival secret societies of environmentalists fighting each other with druidism and magitech. The story's ultimate message is kind of insane but at least it's insane in interesting ways. Basically if someone summoned Robert A. Heinlein through a time portal from the 1950s and got him to write a VN, he'd probably come up with something not entirely unlike this.

quote:

Fate/Stay Night is also one of the VNs I've been hearing about since forever and would like to play it but there doesn't seem to be a good/easy way to buy it digitally, correct?

There sure isn't.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Kanon and Air are okay if you're into that sort of thing, though I feel like they're fairly redundant if you've already played Clannad. Then again, I've never really been into Key's whole brand of 'sad girls sadly sad at you while you solve all their emotional problems with hugs'. I think you're probably better off skipping ahead to Rewrite or Little Busters, when they've refined the formula a little more.

Dating-sim type VNs don't really get talked about much in this thread, SA isn't really the audience for that sort of thing, though you're free to talk about them if you'd like.

You're right that Fate/Stay Night isn't easily available for sale in English on most modern devices. That said, we had a release of Witch on the Holy Night on Switch and there's a Tsukihime remake now, so crossing my fingers for a F/SN remake any day now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rewrite is a lot of fun; I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it does seem kindof wild that we haven't had a switch/official English release for Realta Nua given that the game now stands at the base of an enormous multimedia franchise.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lordfrikk posted:

I think Key stuff just doesn't get talked about as much because their output like a lot of other notable VN devs has slowed considerably over the years and when they do release something like Summer Pockets it just doesn't have the same impact that something like CLANNAD or Kanon would've had at the time (when they were *massive* deals respective to their competition). Their stuff is still of a pretty high level of quality and absolutely worth playing for anyone who reads VNs.

Little Busters: Probably the closest in quality/tone/popularity to CLANNAD. I don't love some of the individual routes but that was also true for CLANNAD really, and the true/main route is pretty effective.

Rewrite: Topically, Rewrite really feels like Key's take on their own version of a fantasy action story like Fate/stay night. It's worth checking out if that sounds interesting but it's definitely a bit of a swerve from Key's normal wheelhouse. I personally do not enjoy it as much others do but it's solid.

Summer Pockets: In a lot of ways this feels like the platonic ideal of what a Key VN wants to be, for good or ill. Of the three I've listed it's probably third for me, just kind of predictable if you've read their big hits. The Reflection Blue content got translated so a part of me has been wanting to revisit it to see if that changes how I feel.

The rest like Kanon and Air you're probably just fine watching their equivalent animes if you're interested. Both I think are probably lesser than what's been discussed.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah it does seem kindof wild that we haven't had a switch/official English release for Realta Nua given that the game now stands at the base of an enormous multimedia franchise.

The rumour mill says that publishers have asked and Type-Moon has given them a number for which they'd license out the rights, but that number is a lot bigger than anyone is willing to pay. There's obviously no concrete proof of any of that, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thank you for all the answers :tipshat: I will put Rewrite to the top of my queue, and have a look at Little Busters. Fate/Stay Night not being available steers me towards the recently mentioned Witch on the Holy Night and Tsukihime (if I'm looking correctly, this one is not available in English yet?), both of which look really good. Just wish they were on Steam, too...

Inadequately posted:

Dating-sim type VNs don't really get talked about much in this thread, SA isn't really the audience for that sort of thing, though you're free to talk about them if you'd like.

It didn't occur to me but you might be right because most of the games mentioned "recently" have been everything except for dating sims :v:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Not sure exactly how visual novel-y it's going to be, but I'm really liking the look of The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood.

In other news, the sequel to Coffee Talk dropped last week. It's made by a pretty small team and one of the lead devs passed away mid-development, so I was surprised to see them actually finish it. The first game was pretty light compared to most of what's covered in the thread, but I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise posted:

it would be interesting to make a detective/mystery thread, i mean it would have a ton of overlap with here already but you do have a bunch of adventure game stuff as well and a few rpg style things

i made one here

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Nun murderin': So Kath the vulgar just claims the accused dude couldn't have done it because they were Together on the night of the murder and now I'm thinking of like four different possibilities of her role in things!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I've been kind of trying to figure out the layout of Lindbarrow abbey when rereading Misericorde and it's been surprisingly difficult. It feels like with direct references to the Gall plan it should make things easier, but the abbey is small, on a hill, and apparently rotated so everything is all hosed up!

I'm also taking note of a lot of references to what is accessible when that I noticed in my first read but didn't process. It's fun, and it feels like there's a lot of nooks and crannies in the story that the internet hasn't managed to completely dig the guts out of yet, which is nice as someone who was a latecomer to Umineko :v:

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

feeling kinda awful and want to be a pile of sad blankets for a while, what is a good sad, chill, beautifully tragic kind of game a la Umineko, preferably free or something i already own, because i'm b r o k e . currently looking at House in Fata Morgana but i do also have ciconia.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

bad sugarpop habit posted:

feeling kinda awful and want to be a pile of sad blankets for a while, what is a good sad, chill, beautifully tragic kind of game a la Umineko, preferably free or something i already own, because i'm b r o k e . currently looking at House in Fata Morgana but i do also have ciconia.

Fata Morgana is beautifully tragic though I wouldn’t call it chill.

It is a masterpiece though and one you should absolutely read

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

100% House of Fata Morgana. (Ciconia is still in the early phases of a When They Cry game, more bombastic death than tragedy)

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 1, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bestia...

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

i have no idea who/what/huh this is but value your judgment in general soooo feel free to clarify

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I never got around to the add on, how much Maria is in it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Like others have said Fata Morgana definitely matches this. Umineko is unquestionably my #1 VN (and "nerd media*" in general), but Fata Morgana is my #2. I would actually argue that it better matches what you're describing in tone than Umineko itself - Fata Morgana plays its tone far more "straight" than Umineko (which has a very unique tone/structure for a tragedy).

* basically everything within the domain of games/comics/sci-fi/fantasy etc

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snooze Cruise posted:

I never got around to the add on, how much Maria is in it?
Quite a bit since she's one of the principle supporting characters.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Planetarian from key is sad and chill imo. :tenbux: when not on sale, if you don’t already have it.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

theblackw0lf posted:

Fata Morgana is beautifully tragic though I wouldn’t call it chill.

It is a masterpiece though and one you should absolutely read
I went into it blind, and while it had a slightly slower start, boy was there a fantastic payoff. Great music in it too.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Played through Paranormasight during the weekend. The beginning was so good, really strong start... but then the rest of the game was like playing a different game, and the actual ending was pretty meh. It felt the writers wanted to be a bit too clever but didn't manage to pull me in. The characters, visuals, writing, and music were outstanding, though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Definitely enjoyed playing Process of Elimination recently.

Though I have absolutely no idea where I'm missing one CG given I have literally everything else. Weirdly, I found the hardest puzzle to be really early on, at least if you wanted to get everything in one run? (Note: you do not need to get everything in one run, there's stuff that only unlocks after the game finishes that requires you to quickly redo the puzzles.) Characters were definitely fun, and the ending went places I didn't expect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is the post-ending stuff significant? I finished it and liked it OK but didn't feel like redoing puzzles.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Relatively? It's Ideal, Mystic, Workaholic, Renegade's files, plus an extra epilogue.

I did find the puzzles were significantly easier since you get access to more characters + don't have to pick up reds.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Inadequately posted:

Kanon and Air are okay if you're into that sort of thing, though I feel like they're fairly redundant if you've already played Clannad. Then again, I've never really been into Key's whole brand of 'sad girls sadly sad at you while you solve all their emotional problems with hugs'. I think you're probably better off skipping ahead to Rewrite or Little Busters, when they've refined the formula a little more.

My experience with Clannad was that I found the protagonist and his friend absolutely intolerably obnoxious in the early hijinx parts so by the time it shifted into Time To Be Sad mode I had no emotional investment in the characters. Even so I still found Rewrite pretty interesting so that's probably a recommend.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Cyouni posted:

Definitely enjoyed playing Process of Elimination recently.

Though I have absolutely no idea where I'm missing one CG given I have literally everything else. Weirdly, I found the hardest puzzle to be really early on, at least if you wanted to get everything in one run? (Note: you do not need to get everything in one run, there's stuff that only unlocks after the game finishes that requires you to quickly redo the puzzles.) Characters were definitely fun, and the ending went places I didn't expect.

Regarding the missing CG, have you voted for both victims in the prologue and chosen to go into the research facility rather than continue to the mansion after Wato wakes up on the island?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

HydroSphere posted:

Regarding the missing CG, have you voted for both victims in the prologue and chosen to go into the research facility rather than continue to the mansion after Wato wakes up on the island?

Yes on the second, not quite sure what you're referring to on the first (but I think I have an idea based on the total story).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Enjoyed Misericorde, wasn't sure where it was going to go and still not sure I feel about that ending point all told but it'll probably be fine once Volume 2 is out. I do think some of the dialogue is like... like OK this doesn't have to be Pentiment in terms of period accuracy and nor should games strive for it but it was pretty hard to extrapolate out these characters actually fitting in this setting. Just kind of have to roll with it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
428 Shibuya Scramble currently on sale at 80% off. Don't know if I'd recommend it at full price, but at :10bux: it's probably worth a shot if you're interested. If you liked the setup in Paranormasight where you had to jump between the viewpoints of multiple protagonists to piece the full story together, this game has it in spades. Live-action visuals, as you can see, so if you're allergic to anime I suppose that's another thing it has going for it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually really liked the photography in 428 and it's a cool story. The brief TYPE-MOON sidestory is also fun.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Harmony: The Fall of Reverie has demo for the Ludo Naro Con festival on steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1966420/Harmony_The_Fall_of_Reverie/

It's a Don't Nod (Life Is Strange) classical VN with high production values.

It's also heavily inspired by The Longest Journey.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 5, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How long is the demo?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

How long is the demo?

First two chapters. Roughly about an hour of play, more if you explore different approaches. Node based story telling means there's very little down time between things that actually matter.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lordfrikk posted:

Played through Paranormasight during the weekend. The beginning was so good, really strong start... but then the rest of the game was like playing a different game, and the actual ending was pretty meh. It felt the writers wanted to be a bit too clever but didn't manage to pull me in. The characters, visuals, writing, and music were outstanding, though.

Had the same experience but I do pretty much recommend it to everyone, the stuff that's great is extremely great.