Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You should blur out your name.

I’d have to do it on my posts though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MarcusSA posted:

I’d have to do it on my posts though :(

mods, ban this poster for doxxing himself

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’m weedle

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You should really just tell us your birthday. The SA iOS thread community really gets a kick out of birthdays

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does Siri straight up not know where I live or work anymore? Whenever I say “Siri take me home/to work”

It will sometimes direct me to a place close to, but not, actually my house or job. It’ll acknowledge that it’s taking me to either one of two destinations but it’ll just take me somewhere else completely.

Or course, typing Home or Work in Apple Maps will take me to the proper address.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Where do I go to change the email that “sign up/in with apple” forwards to?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where do I go to change the email that “sign up/in with apple” forwards to?

Settings -> Your Name -> Hide My Email

Scroll all the way to the bottom

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Is there a way to cache a webpage or preferably a group of tabs? I’d like to refresh them all at once at the beginning of a day and then not have to download them again. the refresh thing would be nice but realistically I’d only have to do it on a particular day once or twice a month so it’s not that big a deal.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have an AirTag wallet? It seems way too thick to put in your back pocket and sitting on the AirTag doesn't seem like a good idea. Putting your wallet in a front pants pocket is also a bit tricky since I already have my phone in my front right and keys/AirPods in my front left, but that may be the least worst option.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone have an AirTag wallet? It seems way too thick to put in your back pocket and sitting on the AirTag doesn't seem like a good idea. Putting your wallet in a front pants pocket is also a bit tricky since I already have my phone in my front right and keys/AirPods in my front left, but that may be the least worst option.

I didn't know this was a thing. Apparently Spigen sells them. huh.

I'd also like to know if they're worth getting. I miss having a tracker in my wallet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just get an iPhone wallet if you're shoving it in the same pocket anyway imo

The AirTag wallets all seem way too thicc

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My bone doctor says sitting on you wallet is awful for you lumbar so use whatever fits in your front pocket imo

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Just get an iPhone wallet if you're shoving it in the same pocket anyway imo

The AirTag wallets all seem way too thicc

The iPhone wallet doesn’t have the same directional tracking or sound producing features AirTags have.

Would be cool if it did though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thwomp posted:

The iPhone wallet doesn’t have the same directional tracking or sound producing features AirTags have.

Would be cool if it did though.

No but it's attached to your iPhone, is my point

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://chipolo.net/en-us/products/chipolo-card-spot?cl=header

This thing is pretty small and works the same as an AirTag

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

pzy posted:

https://chipolo.net/en-us/products/chipolo-card-spot?cl=header

This thing is pretty small and works the same as an AirTag

No replaceable battery tho, given that my airtags are all on their third battery each in two years of ownership i'm not a big fan of non-replaceable batteries for this purpose.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
I just bought this but haven’t received it yet. It’s a stand and has Find My and is rechargeable

https://www.esrgear.com/products/halolock-geo-wallet-stand/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
AirTag is the shape it is basically from the CR2032 battery.

I don't know why there isn't a Chinese clone credit card form-factor that uses a CR2016 in the same "plane" as the electronics to make a wallet-friendly device.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

a cr2016 has like 1/3 the capacity of a 2032, that thing would be e-waste in like three months

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have a normal AirTag that I just slipped in my wallet, airtags aren’t that big so it’s fine ?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a wallet that has a little slot for an AirTag, makes it practically invisible (except for, y'know, the window with the AirTag showing)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What the hell are y’all doing with your wallets?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just wanted the shiny thing to help me track more things I never lose!

Well, the AirTag actually helps with my keys.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I go for large wallets it makes life so much easier.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Put another AirTag in your pants other back pocket to balance things out.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I have an AirTag for my wallet using an insert I purchased from Nomad. The AirTag sucks rear end and never works for me, but that’s just one data point

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use those generic folding 3 in 1 travel chargers? They’re often advertised as charging a phone, Apple Watch and AirPods.

But is there any reason that something designed for airPods couldn’t charge another phone?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone use those generic folding 3 in 1 travel chargers? They’re often advertised as charging a phone, Apple Watch and AirPods.

But is there any reason that something designed for airPods couldn’t charge another phone?

Power bricks are universal, you can use a 5w that came with the iPhone 11, to a 95w MacBook plug. As long as you have a cord with the correct connections, they'll work on anything.

Whether it charges any faster is entirely dependent on your gadget having the software and hardware to allow it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Power bricks are universal, you can use a 5w that came with the iPhone 11, to a 95w MacBook plug. As long as you have a cord with the correct connections, they'll work on anything.

Whether it charges any faster is entirely dependent on your gadget having the software and hardware to allow it.

Ah I’m talking about wireless charging like these, they’re available from dozens of different brands.

https://ospekastraps.com/products/p...BCABEgI6efD_BwE

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Ah I’m talking about wireless charging like these, they’re available from dozens of different brands.

I use this (the 3 in 1 pad, not stand) beside my bed, and for travel. It's not "fold up," but the watch portion does fold down flush with the rest of it for tossing in a suitcase of whatever. It's pricey but it rules, and does watch fast-charging.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

I use this (the 3 in 1 pad, not stand) beside my bed, and for travel. It's not "fold up," but the watch portion does fold down flush with the rest of it for tossing in a suitcase of whatever. It's pricey but it rules, and does watch fast-charging.

Yeah the Belkin one is more expensive than the generic ones - but can you charge your phone on the airpod side?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Yeah the Belkin one is more expensive than the generic ones - but can you charge your phone on the airpod side?

I just tried it and yes you can; it's just a Qi pad. Obviously it's a little more finnicky on placement vs the MagSafe pad. It's kind of recessed, so it may depend on how thick your case is. I use the silicon Apple MagSafe case, which is pretty thin. If you have an Otterbox or some poo poo, it may not work.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

I just tried it and yes you can; it's just a Qi pad. Obviously it's a little more finnicky on placement vs the MagSafe pad. It's kind of recessed, so it may depend on how thick your case is. I use the silicon Apple MagSafe case, which is pretty thin. If you have an Otterbox or some poo poo, it may not work.

Thank you that’s helpful to know - I often have to charge two phones, AirPods, kindle and sometimes an iPad. A travel set up is a pain.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use Wipr extension in safari. It maybe blocks some ads.

https://apps.apple.com/fi/app/wipr/id1030595027

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I write a lot on my phone and I write a lot of dialog. Is there any way to make typing “quotation marks” any easier? I’d love to have dedicated buttons on the keyboard but every Google search for changing the keyboard layout just returns blog articles about switching to other languages.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

It would probably charge really slowly.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

bigperm posted:

I write a lot on my phone and I write a lot of dialog. Is there any way to make typing “quotation marks” any easier? I’d love to have dedicated buttons on the keyboard but every Google search for changing the keyboard layout just returns blog articles about switching to other languages.

Try "FullKeys Keyboard". I haven't used it.
I'm a bit disappointed that third party keyboards don't really seem to offer anything over different flavours of swipe/autocorrect, gifs, and emoji.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Oh! So that’s what a security response update is like.

(There’s a security update available)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How do I get rid of “Get ready for your new iPhone” on my phone? I bought my mom an iPhone for Christmas and Apple I guess thinks I want to switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I ended up giving Gboard a try and it works for my purposes pretty well (can long press . to get punctuation). I thought when I tried it before it was just exactly the same as iOS keyboard but I may be remembering wrong, it's been a while.