Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lukas "Hercules" Van Ness

https://twitter.com/KenIngalls/status/1651781423425024002

So Clay Matthews with a little less speed and 2x as much power :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Let Kirk Cook

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Can he catch checkdowns?

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions are going to mix Gibbs in on the slot too.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

adaz posted:

Todd Gurley is the only RB that Les Snead ever drafted in the 1st round and he's never drafted a ILB but sure. I mean obviously if that dude is todd gurley -type productivity you're going to take it and it'll be a win

It was more the part about saying the guy in charge of scouting for the Rams that made the superbowl and playoffs repeatedly, and (right after he left) won one, was "Noted Has Won A NFL Playoff Game or Even Made The Playoffs person Brad Holmes."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol at the vikings drafting a wide receiver when kirk won't throw more than 7 years downfield

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But the Rams won the Super Bowl by making a gently caress it all in trade

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Danny LaFever posted:

Lions are going to mix Gibbs in on the slot too.

That would make the pick make a lot more sense to me.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh they didn't get there earlier? Or the playoffs? My bad.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

feeling real good after seeing wannstedt's analysis of wright that "this kid's a fitball plehr"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Parallelwoody posted:

Oh they didn't get there earlier? Or the playoffs? My bad.

Oh now placing matters

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol at the vikings drafting a wide receiver when kirk won't throw more than 7 years downfield

Yeah, can't think of any receivers that have had any success in Minnesota with Kirk Cousins

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh now placing matters

Reading what I was responding to does.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah Kirk is like not the problem with the Vikings.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

By trading with WHO?????

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

R.D. Mangles posted:

i really want them to get adebawore but he won't be there at the end of the second

I think there's a very real chance they trade up for him if he's still on the board in the late 30s/early 40s. Chicago's NFL Team cannot succeed without representation from Chicago's Big Ten Team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I think there's a very real chance they trade up for him if he's still on the board in the late 30s/early 40s. Chicago's NFL Team cannot succeed without representation from Chicago's Big Ten Team

trading up is some ryan pace horseshit

poles is going to trade down and draft 35 marginal o-linemen

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Wait a minute, did the Vikings win this sorry rear end division last year?? Lmao

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

they won 13 games and then lost to Daniel "Wheels" Jones at home in the playoffs

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They won it with no defense and a mountain of luck. Which sorta balanced out the previous year where they had no luck at all.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Timby posted:

... but as Parcells said, your team is what your record says it is.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I don't pay attention to college but I'm not mad the Vikings got a receiver. As bad as the defense was last year the offensive production was also really inconsistent so an upgrade from Thielen should make a big difference. If they can patch up the defense with a better scheme and last year's injuries coming back it could be a better short term solution than rolling the dice on yet another CB

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Lions fans. Long term. Help. Everything Holmes has done made some sort of sense and it has given me promise. Nothing here makes sense.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Comfortador posted:

Lions fans. Long term. Help. Everything Holmes has done made some sort of sense and it has given me promise. Nothing here makes sense.

the lions own. you must accept this.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Comfortador posted:

they're going to win the super bowl, op

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

from Febreeze

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I don't know what to believe!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Comfortador posted:

if the picks end up being good it will be a good draft, if they end up bad it will be a bad draft. it will be interesting to see what will happen

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Feels a bit like the Lions FO got spooked by Robinson and Witherspoon both going so high, after they had kept getting mocked to Detroit. Not gonna poo poo my pants over the picks until they start playing though.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

tinstaach posted:

if the picks end up being good it will be a good draft, if they end up bad it will be a bad draft. it will be interesting to see what will happen

Thank You Nostra-loving-damus. :)

C-Euro posted:

Feels a bit like the Lions FO got spooked by Robinson and Witherspoon both going so high, after they had kept getting mocked to Detroit. Not gonna poo poo my pants over the picks until they start playing though.

Yeah but still, I think there are smarter picks.

We'll see.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Much happier about the Van Ness pick seeing how the rest of the first round played out. So many front 7 pick/edge guys went in the first round yeesh. And now I’d be happy with any of the four tight ends in the second round. I’m expecting a safety with their other second rounder. It seems like there will be a few safeties near the end of the second beginning of the third so if they want to gamble they could go TE/WR and trade up from their third rounder, but I am guessing they have a safety they have zeroed in on.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would like any important skill offensive position tomorrow. wr in third place

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

Much happier about the Van Ness pick seeing how the rest of the first round played out. So many front 7 pick/edge guys went in the first round yeesh. And now I’d be happy with any of the four tight ends in the second round. I’m expecting a safety with their other second rounder. It seems like there will be a few safeties near the end of the second beginning of the third so if they want to gamble they could go TE/WR and trade up from their third rounder, but I am guessing they have a safety they have zeroed in on.

Washington & Branch seems like the ideal scenario but I wonder if Gutey doesn't double-dip on ED and go something like Washington & Adewabore.

By the way if it's not clear I will be flabbergasted if the Packers don't take Darnell Washington tomorrow. He's such a clear fit for the offense.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Brad Holmes showed in the past that he has a tendency to fall in love with certain players, and I think that's what happened here - he probably loved Gibbs, didn't have anyone else at 12 he was over the moon with, and decided to pull the trigger. It's not a move I'm personally a huge fan of, but at the same time I do think Holmes has a good eye for talent and Gibbs will probably be successful in our offense. Campbell I don't know anything about, but the Lions sure as hell could use some additional talent at LB so I'll take it.

With that said, it is disappointing that the Lions didn't do anything to address the secondary. But on the other hand, they also have 3 2nd round picks tomorrow, so they'll have plenty of opportunities to pick up additional talent. And Joey Porter Jr. is still on the board...

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I like the players the Lions got but man they had picks 6 and 18. There’s a lot of other scenarios that I think would have been much better. Like yeah Porter would be sweet tomorrow but how do the Steelers not take him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Campbell I don't know anything about, but the Lions sure as hell could use some additional talent at LB so I'll take it.

Campbell was a unanimous All-American and the highest rated LB in the nation in 2022, won the Butkus Award, Academic Heisman, and was the top B1G defensive player. He’s a two time first team Big Ten, and is apparently pals with Luke Kuechly, and has been training with him all offseason.

I’d love to see the Lions grab JPJ at 34 tomorrow night.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lions fans are going to loving love Campbell.

Dude is a monster.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Gibbs is really loving good. I think Lions fans will end up ultimately happy with this draft.

I'm satisfied with what Poles did. Got his guy and an extra pick. Now get Schmitz next round and I'll be very happy.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bears are either going to be positioned to have a sick as hell day 2 with three picks in late round 2/early round 3, or all of the decent remaining prospects will dry up right after pick 50 and they're going to be stuck picking from scraps. Can't wait to find out which one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

GNU Order posted:

They signed a starter last month and I think they still like Tevin Jenkins (jury's still out but there's no reason to give up on him yet)

For the first time in like a decade we have a lot of picks so I'm sure they'll grab some random dude in the 3rd day anyway

A lot of the insider reports are that the Bears don't like Jenkins long term. The fact they signed Nate Davis was a tell. Sounds like Whitehair is going to be the Center next season and they'll give Jenkins a shot at LG. But there is a pretty good chance they'll draft a guard or sign someone who gets cut.

Timby posted:

You don't go from a first-overall-pick team to being .500 overnight. I have a lot of faith in Poles, but as Parcells said, your team is what your record says it is.

Poles took them from .500 to the worst team in the league in an offseason. Not sure why you can't do the reverse. I think with all that cap space, draft picks, and trades, you should expect at least 7-9 wins next season in this division. The Jaguars just did it.