Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Honestly while you can question value with the Lions and a tiny bit the Bears all the NFC North had a relatively good 1st round. Like, Campbell is a monster and won't be surprised to see him as an early contender for DPOY

I don't like drafting SPARQ-y defense guys because the Packers tend to just waste them but in a vacuum Luke Van Ness is a solid pick and most places had him the #3 edge off the board so sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry for posting in the wrong thread earlier. i hope you like to read about what i want

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I hope you get your skill player.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like the Lions draft a bunch lol.

Jack Campbell is gonna be a stud.

And Gibbs is a real real good system pick. Probably a touch high, but I'm generally a firm believer in draft players wherever, all that matters if if they turn out good or not.

No one cares outside of this week, if in 3 years that player is balling out.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Packer's Depth chart as of now. Fire joe berry. etc

CB 1 - 1st round pick
CB 2 - 1st round pick
SS - 1st round pick (granted, savage who hasnt been _great_)
FS- 3rd pound pick

WLB - 1st round pick
ILB - 1st round pick
ILB - 4th roud pick
SLB - 1st round pick

LDE.- 1st round pick
DT - 5th round pick
RDE - 1st round pick

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Buddy of mine lives in Mississippi, deep in SEC territory, and assures me that Gibbs is Jamaal Charles/Alvin Kamara 2.0.

Also, who the hell am I to argue with Jalen Ramsey?

https://twitter.com/jalenramsey/status/1651773259254501376?s=20

https://twitter.com/jalenramsey/status/1651763438132285440?s=20

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Afaict every article about the lions picks so far, the only complaint is WAAAAHHHH THEY WASTED HIGH PICKS but it’s like drat dude they got their mans, would you have preferred they grab players they don’t need or something?

A coupon is worthless the day after it expires, even if it’s for 100% off lol

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Even if you put positional value aside, I think the Lions would probably get a little less guff if they hadn't gone out in free agency and given Alex Anzalone and David Montgomery non-negligible contracts to play the positions you followed up by drafting in the first round

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

The Bears are either going to be positioned to have a sick as hell day 2 with three picks in late round 2/early round 3, or all of the decent remaining prospects will dry up right after pick 50 and they're going to be stuck picking from scraps. Can't wait to find out which one

It's a really deep draft for D-lineman. And if there is a huge run on them, there are a lot of good corners and interior lineman left (the Minnesota Center is supposed to be good). And while Kmet improved, there are also some intriguing tight ends out there like Washington that could help the passing game.

I think we all wish that they still had that 32nd pick but there is a good chance they'll find some talent tomorrow. Lets hope Levis and Hooker go early in the 2nd.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What do we think is next for the Lions? Porter if he's available at 34 and then a TE? Adebawore in there somewhere? Any reason JPJ dropped that's a red flag?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I like the Lions draft a bunch lol.

Jack Campbell is gonna be a stud.

And Gibbs is a real real good system pick. Probably a touch high, but I'm generally a firm believer in draft players wherever, all that matters if if they turn out good or not.

No one cares outside of this week, if in 3 years that player is balling out.

I think it's that you can find those positions later in the draft. Especially since the Lions acquired a bunch of picks later in the draft. Tough to find high quality edge rushers and receivers like JSN later in the draft.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Parallelwoody posted:

What do we think is next for the Lions? Porter if he's available at 34 and then a TE? Adebawore in there somewhere? Any reason JPJ dropped that's a red flag?

JPJ is still there. So is Michael Mayer, Brian Branch, Hendon Hooker, Steve Avila, O'Cyrus Torrence, Keeanu Benton, Jalin Hyatt and Kelee Ringo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Even if you put positional value aside, I think the Lions would probably get a little less guff if they hadn't gone out in free agency and given Alex Anzalone and David Montgomery non-negligible contracts to play the positions you followed up by drafting in the first round

We still need LB help and Gibbs is the same type of player as Swift who is always injured and not coming back the next season.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Can’t quantify this. Dawg mentality

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Well the Vikes pick was a bit of a nice surprise. I was starting to worry with Levis still on the board they were about to do something really dumb. It’s pretty obvious that the front office is going to draft a QB next year and pay Jefferson a billion dollars so I’m happy with this “soft rebuild” they’ve been talking about.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
Not a fan of the Van.
Dude is absolutely ripped and good to go, but....idk. can't exactly put my finger on it, but I don't like it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I wonder if the Packers could get Branch and one of Mayer/Musgrave/Washington/Hyatt in the second round. I think one of those is probably available at #42, but I think we'd have to move up from #45 to the mid-30s for Branch.

If the Lions get one of JPJ/Turner and the Bears get one of Tippmann/Torrence/Avila/Mauch today, their drafts both start to look a lot better.

edit: if we stay put and Branch is gone by #42, I'd want to wait until the third or even the fourth to address safety. Other players I'd be interested in for the second round: Bergeron, Dawand Jones, JPJ, Benton, Ojulari, Keion White, Adebawore.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 28, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Cavauro posted:

i'm sorry for posting in the wrong thread earlier. i hope you like to read about what i want

If you don't keep us updated about the skill players, I'll sue.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

God the fan discourse about Van Ness is sooooo bad. (Elsewhere, not here.) So many wailing babies declaring Gutekunst the WORST GM EVER! because the Packers didn't reach for a small, lovely WR.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

surf rock posted:

I wonder if the Packers could get Branch and one of Mayer/Musgrave/Washington/Hyatt in the second round. I think one of those is probably available at #42, but I think we'd have to move up from #45 to the mid-30s for Branch.

If the Lions get one of JPJ/Turner and the Bears get one of Tippmann/Torrence/Avila/Mauch today, their drafts both start to look a lot better.

edit: if we stay put and Branch is gone by #42, I'd want to wait until the third or even the fourth to address safety. Other players I'd be interested in for the second round: Bergeron, Dawand Jones, JPJ, Benton, Ojulari, Keion White, Adebawore.

Mayer is probably going pretty early tonight, but I think we can get one of Musgrave or Washington. I'm not especially excited about Branch, if we really need a safety then I think we can get someone like Jammie Robinson later on.

Keion White is doodoo. The rest are OK.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/startkyIeorton/status/1651933943858438144

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Curious if Swift moves today. Almost certainly not getting a pick they can actually use today, but will see if he gets dealt and if there's any other pick swapping included with it.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I could see them trying to package him and a 5th for a 4th or something. Lions don't have any 3s or 4s.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

SKULL.GIF posted:

God the fan discourse about Van Ness is sooooo bad. (Elsewhere, not here.) So many wailing babies declaring Gutekunst the WORST GM EVER! because the Packers didn't reach for a small, lovely WR.

I’m as cynical as any reasonable person who’s spent decades rooting for a non-Packers NFCN team, but I really question what people who freak out about draft decisions on draft day get out of the experience. You literally can’t have any idea whether a pick was good or not for months, if not years; why not let yourself fantasize even a little bit about the possibility that the d-lineman you drafted might be the next JJ Watt based on 45 seconds of highlights you watched

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I guess I fall into the "I love the players, but not at that pick" group. Hopefully there are more defensive picks today.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Sexy Rexy had the arm, but he didn't have the help, and that made all the difference

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

I’m as cynical as any reasonable person who’s spent decades rooting for a non-Packers NFCN team, but I really question what people who freak out about draft decisions on draft day get out of the experience. You literally can’t have any idea whether a pick was good or not for months, if not years; why not let yourself fantasize even a little bit about the possibility that the d-lineman you drafted might be the next JJ Watt based on 45 seconds of highlights you watched

Seriously.

Like I'm not even saying you should be unrealistic, but like there is no reason for the Lions not to trust their Coach/GM.

If these players are good it doesn't loving matter where you picked them.

If they are bad then they are bad regardless.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

xbilkis posted:

It's not even surprising! The Packers drafted a freak athlete in the first round just like they did for 6 drafts running with the exception being our current starting QB.

He's such a freak athlete he's nicknamed Hercules! And they're upset about that!!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s especially true for the Packers who are going to be spending next year seeing what Love has while working off that dead cap.

Like I get drafting a WR is more fun than more defense but it won’t change much unless Love is literally Aaron Rodgers out the gate

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

xbilkis posted:

Exactly so it’s pretty funny that so many Packer fans are upset about the Iowa Tarzan motherfucker who tosses around lineman, including a few guys who went in the first round. But I feel like I have done a good job staying away from it because oof these receivers are not who we think they are in the first. Like if Hyatt drops to the Packers I freaking like him more than JSN. If they nab like him and a TE with their second rounders A++++ draft. Safety is absolutely dire on the Packers but like mentioned probably will have to trade up for Branch and I think there’s some interesting guys that will be around in the late second/third they could go after. Or draft the random small school guy in the fourth.

Honestly not even drafting a receiver until the fourth or whatever I would be fine with. I think fans forget Doubs was a fourth. And we have him and Watson anyway. Pick a guy high next year in a way better class.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Look, any time you get the opportunity to draft a player who couldn't crack the starting lineup of the national conference West Division Music City Bowl champion Iowa Hawkeyes in the first round, you HAVE to take it.

Jokes aside, I get the logic. If Van Ness had been used to starting, he'd be even more embarassed about only being a rotational depth piece in the pros. You don't want to draft a player who considers achieving his ceiling a disappointment.

I'm solidly meh about Addison for the Vikes. As a guy who excels at making short passes into big gains he'll hopefully be a better checkdown option for Kirk, but I think if they were deadset on WR they should have moved up a few picks. At least we all dodged Levis!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Iowa starts based on seniority for...reasons. Van Ness still played the majority of snaps on defense despite not being the starter.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Yes, but this way is funnier.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Dexo posted:

Seriously.

Like I'm not even saying you should be unrealistic, but like there is no reason for the Lions not to trust their Coach/GM.

If these players are good it doesn't loving matter where you picked them.

If they are bad then they are bad regardless.

It matters if you could've picked someone else and still got them in the next round. Gibbs wouldn't be there but Campbell probably would have been.

They could've picked Cancey at 12 and Gibbs at 18 then took Campbell at 34.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Watching Good Morning Football, they're doing a "best fit" segment and Kyle Brandt picked the Lions for CAPTAIN JACK CAMPBELL. :toot:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I don't think they liked any of the DTs early. Carter doesn't seem like a Campbell guy and 8m ok with not taking him, and kancey, well he's undersized and just because you comp him to Donald doesn't mean he is (he isn't).

They talk about levi o like he's not healed, but then he showed up to voluntary workouts, so that might be a smoke screen, if he's healthy dt isn't even much of a need.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I slept on the draft and now I shall share my thoughts.

I like the Bears draft a lot. I love what they got for the first overall. Even respect trading back one spot for a 4th (and to say that they too do not care for Jalen Carter).

As for Jalen I think the Eagles were the best fit. It was said this guy needs to be kicked in the rear end a lot and the guys who did that were Jordan Davis, Dean and Nolan Smith and well, the Eagles have all of them.

Don't mind the Packers taking Van Ness.

Vikings is fine I guess, not really an issue to me.

For the Lions. I liked Gibbs he fell on my radar when Emory Hunt said he liked Gibbs as much as Bijon. I didnt' post this but last night I was hoping they'd take him and I thought maybe 18, but thought they might be able to get him at 34. So I was a surprised as anybody by him at 12. I would bet money that Brad Holmes has him as the best skill player on his board, best player in space, best home run hitter so to speak. So I can see why he might zero in on that to the surprise of the football community, but for those that don't like the positional value or the risk. I get it, can't really argue it. For those that think you shouldn't take a running back under any circumstances before the 4th round. eh not with you.

I really want to see how Johnson uses Gibbs. I think they can spread him out and get him the ball in space. Use him like 49ers use Deebo. Holmes expects him to be a big contributor at the start and if Johnson schemes him well he could contend for rookie OPOY which for the 12th overall pick is pretty good value. This draft looks week on receivers and Holmes might have found a "receiver" that's listed as an RB.

I know its a passing league, but personally I see trending back to the running game. Defenses are loading up with smaller players to counter it and if you get a matchup and switch to the run you're going to be a problem. Johnson's offense does emulate Shanahan's in a number of ways.

That leads to Jack Campbell. As surprised as I was with Gibbs, I was really surprised with this one. I had become convinced the Lions had deemphasized the linebacker role in favour of DL and Safeties, and felt the Anzalone pickup and day 3 picks backed that up. I think the fanbase was more receptive of this because for the most part the fanbase never stopped talking about linebackers. Wanting Holmes to use day 1 or day 2 picks on them, to trade for Roquan, to sign Lavonte David or Tremaine Edwards, and I figured the Lions would never do any of that and then they did.

I think I'm glad they did decide to do that. With a RAS of like 9.9 he should be a 3 down linebacker. That can pass pro TEs and stuff the run as well. There is a lot of value as a fan watching a game to see a linebacker that can consistently clean thinks up which the Lions haven't had in a long time.

For day 2 there are so many guys that fell out of first round mocks. I'd be happy if the Lions took Branch, Porter Jr, Washington (or whoever they like for TE) O'cyrus for guard, Benton or Adabewore for DE. So they probably won't pick any of them. (i think they do take Benton in the 2nd).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Carter discourse is going to be awful because he's going to be great on the Eagles and bears fans will be grumbling for years, but I just don't see him working out as a bear at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Comfortador posted:

It matters if you could've picked someone else and still got them in the next round. Gibbs wouldn't be there but Campbell probably would have been.

Campbell could very easily not have been there at 34. Dude is the best ILB and a top like 25 talent overall in this draft.

Like these teams have far more intel and far different boards than whatever prognosticators with half information have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

They could have. I get the argument. I'd just add that none of us have any idea if they actually would be available at those spots. The teams have more info than we do. Its possible Holmes got too excited about Gibbs and pulled the trigger early, but he has Dorsey in the room telling him to calm down too, so perhaps they had intel that other teams were looking hard at him before 18, hard for us to tell.

Some lions fans thought Witherspoon was too high a pick at 6 and he went 5. Some fans wanted Gonzalez at 6, he went 17. I was fine with Branch at 18. He didn't go in the first. I thought Porter Jr. would be off the board before 18. He didn't get picked.

I really don't think Campbell would be there for Day 2. I think another team probably would have taken them.

That's the one thing about Draft value I'm okay with teams doing. If you really like a player but the "value" isn't there, and you don't think he'll be there for your next pick. Take him.

Danny LaFever fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 28, 2023