Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
very important news

https://twitter.com/InsiderEng/status/1651564482559201282

and another normal day on Russian TV, propagandists scream about nukes again, declare they will likely support "old man Donald" (unlike youthful septuagenarian Putin? :shrug:) again, something about "raging American transgenders in UAF" and duma member says they should bring back chemical weapons

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1651810692285059074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Play posted:

Regarding the leaker, I always have respect for true whistle blowers, who are coming forward and endangering themselves and their careers when there is genuinely shady stuff that is in he public interest to be known.

This leak doesn't fit any of those categories, to say the least. In fact the whole thing is mind bogglingly stupid, the leaker is a piece of poo poo with no morals or cause, and the whole thing accomplished literally nothing

Yeah. I approve of the orthopraxy. But there's no denying that this fella was completely brainworm'd.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tai posted:

Remember people, it was Norway responsible for the Nordstream pipe explosion according to the reliable fact checking and totally not making poo poo up to look cool to get on russian TV, Seymor

No, no. You see, it was the US Navy. After they faked Bin Laden's death. My sources told me so.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OctaMurk posted:

They invaded a nation and broke a whole bunch of treaties and ate a million sanctions. Breaking a contract in a time of special military operation is really that big of a deal??

Yes.

Why does Russia still have elections when they aren't real? It's for the pageantry, to pretend there is a democratic mandate for everything the dictator does. Because the idea of a leader with the full support of a majority of their people is still powerful, even when the entire process behind it is not at all democratic.

In the same manner, Russia cloaks itself in the language of Rule of Law. There's no substance there, but the idea is powerful and prestigious.

The idea of "there are laws, and everyone abides by the laws in a rules based order" is considered so powerful and prestigious that even dictators are invested in the appearance of following it. The imperialistic land grab Russia is involved in is draped in the language of International Law as well.

I guess you can call it a "win" for the "West" that even countries nominally opposed to everything "Western" appropriate the language of the "West". And I'd like to add that I would've used more scare quotes, but I don't think I can properly express how hollow that "win" is even with more of them.

Anyway, breaking contracts is bad, because it makes you look like someone who breaks contracts, and that's bad in a world that kind of likes the idea that contractual obligations aren't optional. Committing force majeure against infrastructure and walking away whistling innocently is preferable.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

No, no. You see, it was the US Navy. After they faked Bin Laden's death. My sources told me so.

Can confirm, Bin Laden still alive today in Serbia along with Elvis, JFK, Tupac, and Jimmy Hoffa in 2023.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe it's the usual internal division, corruption and infighting. If you blow it up the rat bastards over in building B can't scam a little gas sales on the side and disrupt the war effort. Maybe some dipshit really saw it as Europe's pipe, and blowing it up would hurt them more than us, and it would especially gently caress over those rat bastards in Building B hell yea that's it we do this. To promote Russia. And, also, my scams on the side.

Idk that's all I've got :shrug:

And in hindsight, did it even hurt them? They had already stopped all gas deliveries through the NS pipelines at that point and were operating the pipelines at a loss. The explosion was a huge boon to their nternal and international propaganda operation. That one NS2 line that was mysteriously unaffected by the sabotage and is still operational let them keep their political leverage in a wildcard European revolution scenario. Only upsides to them.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

some vile poo poo, posting this after once again targeting apartment buildings, killing civilians, including children

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1651868241407492096

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 28, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jesus. Even the US didn’t have the nerve to post some poo poo like that after that wedding got drone bombed

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

some vile poo poo, posting this after once again targeting apartment buildings, killing civilians, including a child

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1651868241407492096

Was just about to post this, absolutely loving deranged poo poo.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

about that earlier AI's Ukraine report...

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1651870213070110721

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

tiaz posted:

I agree with Set. Reviving public attention to the matter at a time of your choosing, say when you have indications Russia is considering similar infrastructure sabotage again is a nice capability to have - right after the Nordstream sabotage it would've only served to calm the population, which I don't think was really necessary at the time, and point the finger at Russia, already an international pariah.

Of course I have no idea what actually motivated this release, but in this sort of matter I think you want to ask "why would it get released immediately?" rather than "why wouldn't it get released immediately?". it makes perfect sense to hold on to it if you expect it might be more useful later than it is Right Now, so if you can point to a missed opportunity beyond 'why not' that's more convincing.

Withholding the release seems to make it more politically motivated though? If they released it within a quick time-frame they can always come back and say (especially after another infrastructure attack) "Russia has done these clandestine sabotage missions before, look at the Nord Stream sabotage!".

With "AI" I thought chatgpt made a really bad but popular report about the war in Ukraine

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Maybe Shamnesty International can depart from the scene and get replaced with a better organization, but i'm not holding my breath.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol I am SHOCKED that the report every single tankie, concern troll, sealioner and right winger were repping on social media and forums, touting “Russia is not doing war crimes!! It’s the perfidious Ukraine!”, turns out to be complete steaming dog poo poo

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

lol I am SHOCKED that the report every single tankie, concern troll, sealioner and right winger were repping on social media and forums, touting “Russia is not doing war crimes!! It’s the perfidious Ukraine!”, turns out to be complete steaming dog poo poo

"The evil west and perfidious HATO forced poor Россия to invade the so-called Ukraine to save itself, don't listen to the capitalists' lies"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Budzilla posted:

With "AI" I thought chatgpt made a really bad but popular report about the war in Ukraine
To be fair it does seem like ChatGPT is running russia's operation

zone
Dec 6, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

To be fair it does seem like ChatGPT is running russia's operation

People have said even at the beginning of the war that a strategy game AI on the lowest difficulty setting would probably prosecute this war better than Putler and friends did.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

The stupidest part by Amnesty International was the doubling down and going "no it definitely is Ukraine's fault that people get killed, not Russia's" after international press laughed at their little hit piece bought by Moscow. They even had a follow-up article few days later that instead of apologizing for their propaganda fodder said that "someone needs to keep the Ukrainian army in check, and if we stop reporting about Ukrainian violations against civilians we would not be impartial".

loving sham of an organization, Putin apologists and paid shills.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1651884319219290113

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'll give AI exactly this much: Keeping tabs on wrongdoings by both Russia and Ukraine is not in itself wrong, and could be a way to make them look more trustworthy. It would take a much more thoughtful approach to writing and publishing about it, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They just hosed it up so badly it was immediately obvious it was just a hit piece, torpedoing their credibility in the process

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Der Kyhe posted:

loving sham of an organization, Putin apologists and paid shills.

Are they?

I mean thought they generally have done a good job over the years but they just screwed up on that report and then doubled down on it which is dumb.

To me it suggests they've got a leadership issue but that is just me guessing.

Have they always been half assed like this and I didn't notice or what?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Anyone who was following the war at that point could extremely obviously see that no, Ukraine was not posting up in places where civilians were to try and reduce Russian artillery and missile fire. Even the biggest war simpleton could see that.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Are they?

I mean thought they generally have done a good job over the years but they just screwed up on that report and then doubled down on it which is dumb.

Amnesty International is a big organization, there's probably alot of differences across region and country that can have alot of impact on their coverage. I don't know much about the current leadership, overall or regional, but I can't imagine it's not the case that that generalizations about them probably aren't that useful.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1651894518281633792
I hope they buy what time they need. Better to delay the counteroffensive by however long it takes to have all their ducks in a row than half rear end it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think half-assing it will ever be a problem for the Ukrainians, but I am legitimately worried that this it for them. If they don't manage to retake their country with what they have now then they're gonna get off and pressured into accepting a peace where Russia gets to keep whatever it still holds onto.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

My understanding of AI is that their coverage of Israel/Palestine is pretty good? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well in this case they were literally Putin apologists, because they published an article saying "well yes the Russians did bad stuff but to be honest the Ukrainians were kinda asking for it". The only question is if they were in fact paid for it, or if there was a whole structure of people who are just shockingly incompetent and wrote that piece of poo poo, and allowed it to be published, and then doubled down on it.

That doesn't immediately make the whole organization corrupt or useless, but it does raise questions about their motivations and the quality and content of their other reports.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Are they?

Their Finnish section has at least drawn considerable ire because a well-known physicist who sits on their board of directors has repeatedly referred to the Donbas war as a civil war.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out there has been a concerted Russian campaign to insert corrosive personalities into western human rights NGOs, because discrediting them serves the Kremlin's objective to silence human rights activism at home.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Their Finnish section has at least drawn considerable ire because a well-known physicist who sits on their board of directors has repeatedly referred to the Donbas war as a civil war.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out there has been a concerted Russian campaign to insert corrosive personalities into western human rights NGOs, because discrediting them serves the Kremlin's objective to silence human rights activism at home.

That physicist BTW got shitcanned, and no longer is in the Finnish AI board.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Fall back to the keep!!!

*Keep is labelled "but if we did then they deserved it"*

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What internet shitholes are you guys burrowing into that you feel the need to constantly mock all these dumbass positions that nobody here is taking?

Who cares what some hypothetical people that are not posting here might say in any given situation?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What internet shitholes are you guys burrowing into that you feel the need to constantly mock all these dumbass positions that nobody here is taking?
I think we all know the answer to that

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:thatsbait: of Russian paratrooper levels lmao

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Who cares what some hypothetical people that are not posting here might say in any given situation?

Spending even two minutes on a single pro-Ukrainian tweet alone, for example, will get you enough vile whataboutisms, gore posting, and sometimes even death threats or other vile poo poo aimed at the OP, so yeah, it's a lot more common on social media itself, for an example, than you think.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh, I guess that makes sense. I don't use social media so I never feel the need to argue with people that aren't around to read it.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Not only that. There's a little bit of noise around the recent leaks, including plans that map out a plan of seeking influence in humanitarian and environmental NGOs. I'm already mad, because this means that legitimate environmental concerns will now be seen as easily dismissable.

https://news.err.ee/1608959284/leaked-documents-reveal-russia-s-plans-for-the-baltics

[quote]

https://news.err.ee/1608960712/how-russia-deploys-baltic-sea-topics-to-influence-european-scientists

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cool, i'm glad i cut them off and will never give them money ever again.

Pieces of poo poo.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Are they?

Yeah, this is my take. Its still a good organisational overall, but a big one.

I can't fully recall all the details, but remember several prominent AI employees stating that someone in a prominent role used their position to write and push through a politically motivated report that didn't come close to meeting AI's usual standards.

The claims it made were incredibly weakly supported: "I saw a couple of soldiers milling about at a hospital", became "Ukraine must therefore be perfidiously garrisoning civilian buildings and using maternity wards as snipers nests, babies as human shields, etc. It certainly couldn't be something simple like troops visiting their wounded comrades, etc."

The author's motivations? Probably just 'USA BAD, therefore RUSSIA GOOD and UKRAINE BAD'.

Every big organisation is going to have some people in them with strong political views, and some will let it influence their work. Where AI really failed is in not having enough checks and balances in to scrutinise this report before it was published and damaged their reputation.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tigey posted:

Yeah, this is my take. Its still a good organisational overall, but a big one.

I can't fully recall all the details, but remember several prominent AI employees stating that someone in a prominent role used their position to write and push through a politically motivated report that didn't come close to meeting AI's usual standards.

The claims it made were incredibly weakly supported: "I saw a couple of soldiers milling about at a hospital", became "Ukraine must therefore be perfidiously garrisoning civilian buildings and using maternity wards as snipers nests, babies as human shields, etc. It certainly couldn't be something simple like troops visiting their wounded comrades, etc."

The author's motivations? Probably just 'USA BAD, therefore RUSSIA GOOD and UKRAINE BAD'.

Every big organisation is going to have some people in them with strong political views, and some will let it influence their work. Where AI really failed is in not having enough checks and balances in to scrutinise this report before it was published and damaged their reputation.

Wouldn't trying to use human shields against Russian attacks be like making a tiger armor out of steak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Wouldn't trying to use human shields against Russian attacks be like making a tiger armor out of steak?

lol