Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

frest posted:

A lot of these bosses just felt like they were over so quickly that learning their attack patterns wasn't even necessary. Also 40 Vigor and usually Embered for a boss meant I never got one-shot, no matter how badly I hosed up, and I set my Estus ratio to only HP flasks. Also great-axe moveset Hyper Armor meant I just ignored anything that didn't interrupt me.

You didn't even get one-shot by Aldrich's arrows? Honestly sounds like you might just be good at the game. :)

It definitely sucks if you cleaved through the bosses too easily so that you didn't even get a feel for the fight at all. Cause even a relatively easy fight can be a good one if it's just plain cool - Dancer's an example, in my opinion (although I know some people do struggle against her). And like, I definitely died to the gimmick bosses a few times just trying to figure out the fight. Maybe this is an example of where being bad is actually beneficial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Everybody has their own difficulties with different bosses and playstyles, but I think going into DS3 with an Elden Ring mindset of Vigor being the most important stat is a huge help to make the game less difficult overall. Like in every From game, I tended to favor the physical stats because I just wanted to try All The Weapons (and some of them need casting stats, so a liiiitle of Faith won't hurt, right?), so when frest is talking about 40 Vig and Embered, I was probably at 20 and an Ember would just feel wasted because I know this boss will take 10+ tries.

Abyss Watchers in particular are really hard if they can two-shot you, but they're also an absolutely awesome fight.

By the way, I'm not a big fan of puzzle bosses (Dragon God, Bed of Chaos) unless they're executed well (Chariot, imo), but gimmick bosses are some of the coolest in all the games imo. I really liked that early-game DS3 does not just want you to dodge and hit all the time, instead having you go for weak spots (Greatwood, Wolnir), trying to find the original amongst clones (Sage), handling a mob (Deacons) and so on. It's one of the biggest appeals of the game, to me.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah for sure there's a lot of variability based on playstyle/weapon/build, it's very cool how differently people experience the challenges in these games. Mine must have been similar to yours in terms of not pumping up Vigor early because Abyss Watchers took me like a couple of hours probably, I didn't find them easy at all (and it's one of my favorite bosses, yeah). And I remember Crystal Sage hitting really hard as well.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Gone through most of the game as a FTH build for the first time, and compared to pyro or INT, they're not making it easy.

The good stuff for causing damage is really pushed towards the back end of the game. Great lightning spear at Lothric Castle (with Sunbro grinding), Sunlight spear first after beating the main game.

Dorhys' Gnawing is excellent for many bosses, but miracles aren't as versatile for offense as pyro or sorcercies. Back to sword and board it is, but a lightning infused lothric sword with excellent FTH scaling.

In conclusion, an FTH build is a land of contrasts.

keep in mind you have a couple pyromancy options with low int requirements. you won't ever have as many or as strong pyromancies as a dedicated pyro but there's a couple options to beef up your portfolio, if you drop a few poihts in int to get to 10 that's great combustion.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Put enough into INT so I could use Flash sweat and Power within, but trying to do a challenge run lite here by defeating bosses with miracles if I can.

Pyromancy was more fun, since there's much more variation in the types of damage available to you, and when in the game it becomes accessible. Chaos bed vestiges and Great combustion are both awesome, and Boulder heave is ridiculous and fun.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I definitely came to the game with an Elden Ring colossal weapon mindset, wanted to bulldoze my way through with a great-axe, and it was actually incredibly effective. I try to always summon NPCs because i'm never 100% sure who will give a gesture or a quest advancement, and that often made the fight harder not because of HP inflation but because the boss is jumping all over the place away from my extremely ponderous moveset.

By the same token, a lot of the Knights and other difficult enemies are kind of trivial when a charged R2 always staggers them or just pancakes them on the floor. You just get a feel for when to start charging as they advance on you, and then if you connect even once they're done. My nemesis remains, as always, dogs.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

frest posted:

My nemesis remains, as always, dogs.

I feel like the only player that never has a problem with the dogs in this game. Could be because I usually use a shield. I find it pretty easy to block and then just immediately r1 them to death.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

frest posted:

I try to always summon NPCs because i'm never 100% sure who will give a gesture or a quest advancement, and that often made the fight harder not because of HP inflation but because the boss is jumping all over the place away from my extremely ponderous moveset.

Harder, or longer? I kinda feel like summons always make things easier just because you get so many free hits/heals when attention is elsewhere. I definitely think that might have played a role in how easy you found some of those early bosses, but I also totally get why you would summon, yeah. For whatever reason I only do so as a last resort if I'm really really just done with this poo poo, not sure if that's some dumb ego thing or what, but I like to go it alone as much as possible even if it takes a few days. For DS3 I summoned for two, one was Pontiff and the other's in the Ringed City DLC so I won't name it cause you probably haven't done it yet!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like it's always a 50/50 whether or not summoning for a fight was the right thing to do or made it feel worse. Some bosses get markedly more bullshit with more people, some get markedly dumber, and others feel appropriately raid boss-y.

Really I just wish these games had the ability to revive bosses at will so I could play them every different way, over and over, as I like.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played through DS1 and DS2 with the great club, pancaking everything pretty much and it worked. (I was being goaded by goons the whole time) and for DS3 they told me no shields, no great clubs, you gotta pick the sellswords and no smashing weapons.

I pretty much made it through everything with those sellswords and they were a lot of fun. I still rarely use shields in these games because of Bloodborne and two handing the clubs. :)

DS3 also has one of my most favourite boss fights from all their games and it is one of my proudest completition moments because it took so long for me to get good at it Slave Knight Gael which had me properly prepped for Soul of Cinder, who I won against on my first attempt and barely saw anything of his moveset.

I also started off summoning all the time in DS1 and DS2 because I was so new to it, and people on stream wanted to join in and that is tons of fun too, but by the time I got to DS3 I was doing it far less and Sekiro conditioned me to never summon, so Demons Souls was soloing everything, followed by Elden Ring using the ashes only when I was failing so hard at everything (looking at you Mohg!!)

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

BiggerBoat posted:

I find it pretty easy to block and then just immediately r1 them to death.
This is the only proper way to deal with those dogs, shield or not. Block their first attack, then R1 them to death. Except the pregnant one on the Road of Sacrifices. If you kill that one you're worse than Pontiff.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

BiggerBoat posted:

I find it pretty easy to block

giZm posted:

Block their first attack, then
It's hard to beat the pure satisfaction of a parry/deathblow against a dog in Sekiro. All this being said, I just finished Sekiro and have vowed to never again engage in the cowardly tactics of the shinobi. In This House We Only Press R2 (and dodge). If the great-axe family weapons didn't have such a terrible roll-R1 attack, perhaps i could graduate to a 3-button playstyle, but alas.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

giZm posted:

This is the only proper way to deal with those dogs, shield or not. Block their first attack, then R1 them to death. Except the pregnant one on the Road of Sacrifices. If you kill that one you're worse than Pontiff.

Well obviously, because if you kill it, there'd be no point in luring a crab over there

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

giZm posted:

If you're not against cheesing and twinking you can get FAP+3 from the swamp area in the Ringed City DLC without too much hassle*. Just a bit of running through ash, a bit of swamp, and up an old tree root.

*just have to either almost beat base game or beat Ashes of Ariandel DLC to get to FAP+3 :v:

Just got the Ring of Favor +3 after beating the twin princes! I had a moment where I thought I’d have to somehow beat that first double boss in the Ringed City to get to the swamp I needed but thank god not.

Did most of the bosses with Vordt’s hammer +2. The frostbite proc helps so much.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This must have been incredibly hard to record, he beats four bosses with uchigatana parries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ykgaSSbn1E

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Hello friends, I'm a latecomer to from games, but I've recently finished demon souls remake and blood borne after getting introduced to the company by Elden Ring. Next up is dark souls 3! Just whipped vordt the boreal bro, thinking about a strength faith build, please advise. God bless you all.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

ZWEIHANDER

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I beat Elden Ring before DS3. DS3 had a weird difficulty curve for me where I found the bosses fairly easy but the levels pretty hard. I played a dex build, dunno if that had anything to do with it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Clowner posted:

Hello friends, I'm a latecomer to from games, but I've recently finished demon souls remake and blood borne after getting introduced to the company by Elden Ring. Next up is dark souls 3! Just whipped vordt the boreal bro, thinking about a strength faith build, please advise. God bless you all.

The longsword that the Knight class starts with can carry you through the whole game. Lothric Knight swords are available from the Knights patrolling the stairs between Dancer and Vordt, and they are good with either a heavy or elemental infusion.

I just did a FTH build run, and the offense miracles are either weak or only available in the later game. Go pyro if you want to wreck stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I beat Elden Ring before DS3. DS3 had a weird difficulty curve for me where I found the bosses fairly easy but the levels pretty hard. I played a dex build, dunno if that had anything to do with it.

Depends, I used a battle axe/hand axe and 1v1 most enemies just get stunlocked to death but I can imagine rapiers/scimitars might not hit the poise damage threshold on everything the way even a lightweight axe would. That said, I found the levels in DS3 just plain tough too a lot of the time. Part of that is being a pyromancer since they take so long to come online but DS3 is just plain less generous/kind than ER. Your healing suuuucks earlygame, and unlike Elden Ring, where even without the “kill overworld enemy formations for a refill” mechanic the seeds scale exponentially so that you’re guaranteed to have a decent amount of charges by exploring a little, you only get maybe one charge per new zone so it takes a lot longer to get to the point where you just don’t care about estus much.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Ginette Reno posted:

I had this same experience on demon souls and BB, and easily took down boreal bro after struggling to get to him. Reasonable people can disagree of course but I just think it's because they nailed ER bosses so well. Pretty much every boss fight was really exciting.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

on my str character i really liked the milwood battle axe from ariandel, its special version of warcry is one of my favorite arts in the game, just a really effective way to open a fight with a stun and a buff

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Clowner posted:

I had this same experience on demon souls and BB, and easily took down boreal bro after struggling to get to him. Reasonable people can disagree of course but I just think it's because they nailed ER bosses so well. Pretty much every boss fight was really exciting.

My ER mid take is that the spirit summons highlights how weak Fromsoft boss AI is. And to compensate they slid damage, move complexity (similar attacks with different timings, delayed attacks, splash damage, instant punish for drinking flasks) and boss agility to 11 and reduced their recovery time between moves.

For me, who can beat these games but isn't ever going to do a no hit run, it made ER easy with spirit summons but far too frustrating solo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

Depends, I used a battle axe/hand axe and 1v1 most enemies just get stunlocked to death but I can imagine rapiers/scimitars might not hit the poise damage threshold on everything the way even a lightweight axe would. That said, I found the levels in DS3 just plain tough too a lot of the time. Part of that is being a pyromancer since they take so long to come online but DS3 is just plain less generous/kind than ER. Your healing suuuucks earlygame, and unlike Elden Ring, where even without the “kill overworld enemy formations for a refill” mechanic the seeds scale exponentially so that you’re guaranteed to have a decent amount of charges by exploring a little, you only get maybe one charge per new zone so it takes a lot longer to get to the point where you just don’t care about estus much.

I had a lot of trouble with Knight enemies in DS3. They were surprisingly mobile enemies and could take a beating and their offense hurt. It might have been the low poise damage I did as you said. I spent a lot of the game dual wielding Scimitars iirc.

I went back and beat DS1-3 after my last Elden Ring run. I had beaten 2 before but never 1 and 3. It was a lot of fun going through the whole series like that.

Clowner posted:

For me I think it was just that Elden Ring bosses are the hardest in the series so far (at least of the ones I've played..Ds1-3 + ER. I've never played Demon Souls). So facing those first and then going back and beating DS3 was a downgrade in boss difficulty since I'd beaten the toughest that Elden Ring had to offer.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
They've been on a lovely trajectory at least since demon's souls (probably even further back, King's field probably fits into this trend too), where they cater to the git gud crowd by emphasizing the bosses and deemphasizing level exploration

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Yeah I definitely wish there was some level exploration in Elden Ring.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I had a lot of trouble with Knight enemies in DS3. They were surprisingly mobile enemies and could take a beating and their offense hurt. It might have been the low poise damage I did as you said. I spent a lot of the game dual wielding Scimitars iirc.

I went back and beat DS1-3 after my last Elden Ring run. I had beaten 2 before but never 1 and 3. It was a lot of fun going through the whole series like that.

For me I think it was just that Elden Ring bosses are the hardest in the series so far (at least of the ones I've played..Ds1-3 + ER. I've never played Demon Souls). So facing those first and then going back and beating DS3 was a downgrade in boss difficulty since I'd beaten the toughest that Elden Ring had to offer.

high wall lothric knights are disproportionately tougher to deal with to me than just about anything in undead settlement. really aggressive without slouching on defending themselves either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That section at the end of Grand Archives where you have to fight five knights at once along the battlements was the true final boss of the game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

feelix posted:

They've been on a lovely trajectory at least since demon's souls (probably even further back, King's field probably fits into this trend too), where they cater to the git gud crowd by emphasizing the bosses and deemphasizing level exploration

Have you played Elden Ring?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

feelix posted:

ds3 was the nadir of this. however, i'm not sure that the "git gud crowd" exist to the extent you think that they do or that they have been progressively running fromsoft games since 1994

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ime "git gud" is mostly used as a dismissive joke when people who are struggling make the conscious decision to be annoying to people trying to give them helpful advice and insist everything is the game's fault for being unfair instead of learning and adjusting to the game's expectations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't follow that at all, I thought DS3 had very distinctive and challenging levels. High Wall, Cathedral, Catacombs, Irithyl, Archdragon and Archives all stick out to me for their exploration and memorable encounters

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

all the zones in ds3 at least feel complete. you have some drat well designed levels in ds1 but the only post-vessel area i liked a lot until the DLC was duke's archives ( I always do painted world before O&S but I love that one too)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

all the zones in ds3 at least feel complete. you have some drat well designed levels in ds1 but the only post-vessel area i liked a lot until the DLC was duke's archives ( I always do painted world before O&S but I love that one too)

Painted World is still like their all time best level imo, it's such a perfect little self-contained dungeon world

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

No Dignity posted:

I don't follow that at all, I thought DS3 had very distinctive and challenging levels. High Wall, Cathedral, Catacombs, Irithyl, Archdragon and Archives all stick out to me for their exploration and memorable encounters

i guess i'm more annoyed by the world design of 3 than the level design - specifically, how you can't really sequence-break to put interesting builds together or get more variety between runs. it's the only one of these games where i would recommend cheating (with honest merchant) after you beat it the first time

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sure, I preferred the more open design of DS1/Bloodborne more but taken on its own merits DS3 is still really good as a linear Souls game. I'd love to see them make another game as dense and vertical as DS1 again though

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No Dignity posted:

That section at the end of Grand Archives where you have to fight five knights at once along the battlements was the true final boss of the game

People actually fight them? I jog past them every single time.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

What is the worst-smelling Souls world? DS3 seems pretty stinky with all the black corpse goo that's all over everything. DS2 could be a strong contender with the Pit & The Gutter. Bloodborne would obviously smell the worst so ignore that. I'm just asking questions.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Horace Kinch posted:

That's a benefit of exploring a level, you learn which enemies you can run past and which will stab you in the back.

No ladders and elevators, those are devil items that will cause aggravation on run backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Horace Kinch posted:

It's fun to play these games and experience the content. Learning to fight five of those guys at once was a character building experience