Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

redleader posted:

fyi the youtube links to zerg themes 2 and 3 are wrong. they both link to zerg theme 1

Thanks, fixed!

redleader posted:

this is dumb. this is so, so dumb. holy poo poo this is just so fuckin stupid! why would you write this bullshit! argh!!!

... so are you planning on doing an sc2 lp?

disposablewords posted:

I was talking to my brother about the writing problems of SC2 yesterday and it really helped me pin down what I think happened and why some of the space fantasy bullshit in 1 was cool while it was insufferable in 2.

In SC1, it's a soft sci-fi story but the protoss think they live in a fantasy story. In SC2, it's a fantasy story and the terrans act like they're still in a soft sci-fi story.

Anyway. I vote A for question 1 as the most likely answer as well (Kerrigan's useful but more of a fun project for the Overmind to keep in its back pocket), and also A, for Avram for question 2.

My theory on the SC2 story with Kerrigan is that it's a rescue. The sentence the Overmind infested Kerrigan to be its agent to secretly work against and overthrow the Dark Xel'Naga that held it prisoner makes very little sense, but swap it out with Warcraft nouns and you get the Lich King corrupted Arthas to be its agent to secretly work against and overthrow the Demons that held it prisoner and you get something that makes a great deal of sense, and indeed was a part of the plot of Warcraft 3. So my guess is they had this plan for Warcraft 4 where it was going to be like "Whoa, turns out evil Lich King Arthas is actually the key to saving the world of Azeroth! What a crazy, mind-blowing plot twist!" but because WoW became so successful WC4 never materialized and the storyline had to be abandoned. But they liked it enough to try and do it anyway in Starcraft.

Poil posted:

I'm not sure if the remake changed anything but you don't need to hold the crystal while it is being harvested. The protoss will flood the place with units that are just awkwardly standing around. They will of course instantly gib the poor drone once it finishes working but you can just clear out the protoss and send in a new drone to grab and deliver :v:.

The remake didn't change this; you can absolutely easily cheese the mission this way. But again, it'd hardly be sporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
WRT Aiur I am going with A

Namewise I was the one who suggested it, so Avram

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Aiur: 'cause one field agent ain't what they were looking for ; they were after learning how the whole thing works, and incorporating in into the swarm - therefore, it's better to keep Kerrigan back, where's it's safer.
Also, now that the Protoss manages to kill an overmind, means that the swarm cannot wait to grow a new psi-warrior: they must strike ASAP, before the Protoss commit and wipe 'em out.

Cerebrate name: Man, Avram is such a pedestrian name (it's reasonably common over here).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gun Jam posted:

Cerebrate name: Man, Avram is such a pedestrian name (it's reasonably common over here).

In the spirit of this, let's call the cerebrate Steve

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tenebrais posted:

In the spirit of this, let's call the cerebrate Steve
This has my vote. Don't really care about Aiur, I think the Overmind is just pissed that the Xel'Naga gave the Protoss all the mind candy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The screenshot of the scourge getting hit by the stasis is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

1A, 2D - seconding Marduk

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Damned Arbiters, the worst thing they do is ruin your control groups :mad:

JohnKilltrane posted:

Mission Nine: The Invasion of Aiur.

But first! Some illustrated texts:

Does that Zergling have human arms and hands?

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

disposablewords posted:

I was talking to my brother about the writing problems of SC2 yesterday and it really helped me pin down what I think happened and why some of the space fantasy bullshit in 1 was cool while it was insufferable in 2.

In SC1, it's a soft sci-fi story but the protoss think they live in a fantasy story. In SC2, it's a fantasy story and the terrans act like they're still in a soft sci-fi story.
Correct. SC1, or at least the Grand Experiment backstory, is at heart science fiction. There's no divine plan for the universe, no personified divine will watching over people's back. Everything that happens, happens as cold cause and consequences. However powerful they were, one slip and the Xel'Naga were toast, because no power can shield anybody from cause and consequences.

The same can't be said about another game...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

chestnut santabag posted:

Does that Zergling have human arms and hands?

It's the zergling that hacks the computer

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

disposablewords posted:

SC2 is bunch of Terrans got lost in space themed World of Warcraft expansion about draenei vs Burning Legion war with Zerg acting as Forsaken. Basically Legion expansion IN SPAAAAACE.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

and they moved all the carpal tunnel genetics into the defiler

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Steve is the best possible name for a cerebrate this terrifying, surely it's a sound that will strike fear into the hearts of Terran and Protoss alike.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah diggin the vibes put out by Steve. lest we forget, Star Wars gave Palpatine the first name "Steve". if an ultimate evil space wizard can be Steve then why not a sentient evil space blob?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I vote for steve

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
A, Steve

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
A, Sleve McDichael

smax
Nov 9, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ioxY9FzXo

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JohnKilltrane posted:

a) The psionic defences the Overmind was concerned about thwarting aren't things like High Templar shenanigans but rather are being used to conceal Aiur. Plucking Aiur's location out of Zeratul's mind means that this is no longer a concern, so the invasion can proceed without Kerrigan, who gets left behind as a contingency.

d) Write-in Vote
Write-in Vote seems appropriate.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

JohnKilltrane posted:

orange feels like the Protoss armada, with plenty of Scouts and Carriers, as well as that Arbiter.

According to the manual description, this is exactly the case. It also mentions the blue tribe as the one from which most of the dark templar came. The white tribe is described as the "keepers of the Khaydarin crystals" but they're notably absent from this mission.

If this cerebrate is going to be the same one as in episode 6, my name suggestion is Rodney Dangerfield, since it gets no respect there :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Alpha3KV posted:

If this cerebrate is going to be the same one as in episode 6, my name suggestion is Rodney Dangerfield, since it gets no respect there :v:

Canonically, it is not - though whether Killtrane decides to change that is up in the air. The Magistrate isn't supposed to be Matt Horner, either :v:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Voting 1 D: Overmind didn't take Kerrigan because he realised protoss are pushovers and ZvP is very easy. Kerrigan stayed behind so she didn't hog all the glory.
AND

2 D: Name the cerebrate Lee Jaedong , zerg god of destruction (pro player)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A, Avram

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

The Magistrate isn't supposed to be Matt Horner, either :v:

It was a popular fan theory I believe, but yeah. To my knowledge there's only one instance of the player commander becoming an NPC later on, and that's a while away.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I always liked the idea that the magistrate was a separate guy from Horner and I'm angry that he didn't end up as like a background guy in 2.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

It was a popular fan theory I believe, but yeah. To my knowledge there's only one instance of the player commander becoming an NPC later on, and that's a while away.

I thought both Artanis and Selendis were confirmed to be characters you play as in the Protoss campaigns?

Matt Horner being the Magistrate is less a "fan theory" and more that, in SC2 he's Raynor's number two that is responsible for all of the battle operations - really you'd need a reason for him to not be Raynor's closest companion in SC1 that is responsible for all of the battle operations. Especially with no other explanation for where the Magistrate went, since they'd be just as much of a fugitive. Maybe they needed a reason for Horner to not have a history with Kerrigan and Mengsk but... from the way SC2's campaign plays out, if they did need that of him, they didn't do anything with it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Canonically, Horner actually joined the Sons of Korhal before Raynor did, and was First Officer aboard one of the ships used to evacuate Mar Sara, the Cormorant. It was a cargo vessel that had been converted for blockade running.

Enrico la Spaniard
Dec 15, 2021

A, and Marmaduke.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I thought both Artanis and Selendis were confirmed to be characters you play as in the Protoss campaigns?

Matt Horner being the Magistrate is less a "fan theory" and more that, in SC2 he's Raynor's number two that is responsible for all of the battle operations - really you'd need a reason for him to not be Raynor's closest companion in SC1 that is responsible for all of the battle operations. Especially with no other explanation for where the Magistrate went, since they'd be just as much of a fugitive. Maybe they needed a reason for Horner to not have a history with Kerrigan and Mengsk but... from the way SC2's campaign plays out, if they did need that of him, they didn't do anything with it.

There actually is a canonical explanation as to what happened to the magistrate: immediately after the end of SC1's Terran Campaign, he realized that this was all getting way too much for him and left Raynor instead of continuing the fight against the Dominion or going to Char.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

sirtommygunn posted:

Broken Box posted:

and they moved all the carpal tunnel genetics into the defiler

These comments made my day.

chestnut santabag posted:

Right? That's the one part that really gets me.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Canonically, it is not - though whether Killtrane decides to change that is up in the air. The Magistrate isn't supposed to be Matt Horner, either :v:

To paraphrase the great Dr. Spaceman, "Canon is... whatever we want it to be." I see pros and cons to reusing our Ep 2 Cerebrate for later. The biggest pro mainly being that I don't find Cerebrates terribly interesting to write for and I'm not sure how I would distinguish a second one. I'll think on these things.

Tenebrais posted:

The issue with Horner is that he actually was a character that existed prior to SC2, so the game couldn't tie him in as the Magistrate because he'd already been established as being Not-Magistrate. I don't know the details, because he was introduced in the novelization of SC1 which I haven't read and... probably never will read. But I guess he was supposed to be more of a "hey guys who read the books remember this character? Bet you never thought you'd see him again, huh?" thing.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
catching up with this thread has made me want to take another crack at the singleplayer campaigns. as a kid I ended up just using console commands to steamroll through everything after a certain point lol.

the way people have been talking about jank in brood war is really interesting- I spend a lot of time around the esports scene for fighting games and see a lot of similar sentiments. people who got into guilty gear with ACPR back in the 2000s have a really deep reverence for all the weird tools characters have access to, higher execution requirements, and extra room for emergent strategies... but actually going back to older games once you're used to quality of life improvements and balance philosophy of modern stuff is rough. makes for a good spectator experience when you know what's going on though.

I suppose it's kind of hard to judge given how many ways blizzard has hosed up sc2 and their whole deal in general over the last 15 years, but how do you think sc2's current high level multiplayer scene compares to bw's from when it was the same age? it sounds like bw's high barrier of entry made high levels kind of impenetrable after a certain point, but does sc2 still see new faces pop up too?

...I feel like also this is probably the part where the way fighting game esports and the other higher budget stuff tends to be organized won't match though, I genuinely have no idea how much grassroots competition there is going on for starcraft

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
A because that's totally what I remember from the SC1 manual.

A, I suppose. I like "Steve", but she was in the Ultima series, and that's where she should stay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

painedforever posted:

A, I suppose. I like "Steve", but she was in the Ultima series
Yeah, but that's what makes it a perfect name for the Avatar of destruction.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
A and Steve. Maybe fantasy it up and make it S'Teve

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

TheLoquid posted:

A and Steve. Maybe fantasy it up and make it S'Teve

I vote this. S'Teve and his mate G'Ray'Am

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Just finished Mass Recall and holy gently caress, mutas are even more broken than in original game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Szarrukin posted:

Just finished Mass Recall and holy gently caress, mutas are even more broken than in original game.

How so? I don't know if I got that far because I am so bloody bad at MR.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

JustJeff88 posted:

How so? I don't know if I got that far because I am so bloody bad at MR.

Probably because you aren't restricted to 12 mutas in a single control group. If you have 200 supply worth of mutas, there's nothing stopping you from pointing all of them at a target with a single click.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Mutas are very funny on Mass Recall but on hard at least the AI is good enough that if they’ve got caster or stuff that can answer Mutas they can generally respond fairly well. If they don’t though lol gg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's also a quirk in how damage is calculated in Starcraft 2 that makes stuff like Corsairs and Valkyries worse against Mutalisks in Mass Recall as compared to Starcraft 1, so that doesn't exactly help.