Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mastodon has its own particular weirdness going on that's iirc closer to like, Google+, right? Bluesky sounds like it's just flat out a Twitter clone not being obviously run into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mastodon has its own particular weirdness going on that's iirc closer to like, Google+, right? Bluesky sounds like it's just flat out a Twitter clone not being obviously run into the ground.

The fact that Jack Twitter is involved in it has a lot of people interested.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mastodon is more like IRC in that it’s a patchwork of multiple servers with their own sub-communities and quirks and a steeper learning curve than Twitter

Yeah, Bluesky does appear to be Jack starting over with the exact same basic idea

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As far as I understand it, Bluesky is basically a Mastodon competitor, built on the same concept of a federated social network with different instances sharing data via a common protocol. It's just that no one has built an actual usable instance over it yet aside from the Bluesky company itself. The thing it's probably most comparable to is mastodon.social, in that it's an official main instance for a decentralized protocol.

And personally, I think it's waaaaaaay too early to say it's not being obviously run into the ground. Personally, I think it's better to assume incompetence until proven otherwise. Especially given that Jack has spent the last few years falling down every tech-libertarian rabbit hole he comes across, and there's no sign that he's learned anything useful from Twitter. What little I can find about Bluesky's moderation philosophy suggests that their approach to hate speech and abuse is "don't like it, don't read it", couched in all the usual rhetoric about free speech and refusing to censor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah I'm not surprised it's Twitter again with all the same mistakes. though I find it lol to have the probably viable techbro business model to build a successful platform, sell it to a rich idiot for way too much money, and then when they run it spectacularly into the ground, just make it all over again for everyone to flee to.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

The fact that Jack Twitter is involved in it has a lot of people interested.

Shouldn't this be off-putting? I thought he was also broadly okay with a lot of the kind of far right stuff Elon was embracing. Or am I misremembering.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Shouldn't this be off-putting? I thought he was also broadly okay with a lot of the kind of far right stuff Elon was embracing. Or am I misremembering.

Unlike Musk, he's been largely quiet on social issues and culture war stuff. But he's a big libertarian, and a huge sucker for economically right-wing stuff cloaked in vague rhetoric about freedom. He's hugely into cryptocurrency, and supported Tulsi Gabbard and Andrew Yang in the primaries.

He's probably not as openly abhorrent as Elon, but he's probably not going to do any more than Elon would about transphobic hate and abuse.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The only real value I can see in BlueSky is potentially fracturing Twitter's userbase further with a design spec and leadership that appeals to Musk's libertarian techbro orbit.

It's also likely to trigger another case of Musk embarrassing himself by trying to block it or deplatform it on Twitter, so I will absolutely be getting an account to add to my Twitter bio and never use as soon as possible.

This whole saga really does have the energy of disgruntled posters on big internet forums starting their own Invision / phpBB boards back in the 2000s to compete with a bigger forum that wronged them, except the bigger forum's owner keeps reacting to them in the most self-sabotaging ways possible.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Teratrain posted:

This whole saga really does have the energy of disgruntled posters on big internet forums starting their own Invision / phpBB boards back in the 2000s to compete with a bigger forum that wronged them, except the bigger forum's owner keeps reacting to them in the most self-sabotaging ways possible.
To whom could you possibly be referring? :v:

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I tried to steer my implication away from that because I ain't about to stick my dick into that hornet nest, but yeah pretty much any prominent forum back in the day had lovely splinter communities. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is Bluesky the network on whose behalf elite undercover operative / shadowrunner Matt Taibi infiltrated Twitter to steal their database? Or was that another thing

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Saw a Lucid at my local Asian market the other day, and it made me wonder just how much money Elon's hard right turn is going to make them given that CHUDs are not exactly the market for EVs.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, Bluesky does appear to be Jack starting over with the exact same basic idea

It's effectively Twitter with more moderation and a significantly more airtight privacy policy.

https://twitter.com/ashleygjovik/status/1651686218319425570
https://twitter.com/ashleygjovik/status/1651688259355918336

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC that person is kind of a nut who is describing bog standard social media policies in a misleading way. The inability to delete your account at will is one of those things that the GDPR would come down hard on, though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kith posted:

It's effectively Twitter with more moderation and a significantly more airtight privacy policy.

It only has more moderation because musk fired twitter's moderation teams. As bluesky currently is, there's no way to block people so the couple nazis that got in are having a run of it.

On the other hand, the lack of a block lets people bully matty g

duz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 28, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah I'm not surprised it's Twitter again with all the same mistakes. though I find it lol to have the probably viable techbro business model to build a successful platform, sell it to a rich idiot for way too much money, and then when they run it spectacularly into the ground, just make it all over again for everyone to flee to.

Reminds me of the guy who invented "cigarette boats", who kept founding boat building companies, selling them, and then founding another one that went on to eat his old companies lunch.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC that person is kind of a nut who is describing bog standard social media policies in a misleading way. The inability to delete your account at will is one of those things that the GDPR would come down hard on, though.

She is also misrepresenting her qualifications:

https://twitter.com/ashleygjovik/status/1651762490605182976

Here is the response from Bluesky:

https://twitter.com/iamrosewang/status/1651705402441203713

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Is Bluesky the network on whose behalf elite undercover operative / shadowrunner Matt Taibi infiltrated Twitter to steal their database? Or was that another thing

Taibbi was recruited by Elon Musk to publish Twitter's secret info so Musk could prove that Twitter's previous management was politically objectionable to Musk's supporters.

Kith posted:

https://twitter.com/ashleygjovik/status/1651686218319425570
https://twitter.com/ashleygjovik/status/1651688259355918336

Could you elaborate? All those quotes are pretty standard stuff that basically every service has, and that random Twitter user's summary of those quotes is rather hyperbolic and misleading.

Also, does Bluesky actually have more moderation? I have yet to see any indication that this is actually the case, especially considering that they only added moderation tools a few days ago.

A lot of people seem to think that Bluesky will have more moderation, but I don't really see what basis they have for this belief other than "there's no way Jack can be worse than Musk". Bluesky's own writings on moderation do not inspire confidence in me: they want to hire as few moderators as possible, and instead rely on a "decentralized moderation" scheme that's basically some Mastodon-rear end poo poo. In particular, it doesn't seem to provide for deleting posts at all. Instead, posts get tagged with things like "child abuse" or "hate speech", and then instances can use that list of tags to define which posts they want to be auto-hidden on their instances, and individual users can define additional tags they also want to be auto-hidden from them.

https://blueskyweb.xyz/blog/4-13-2023-moderation

quote:

Composable Moderation

Moderation is a necessary feature of social spaces. It’s how bad behavior gets constrained, norms get set, and disputes get resolved. We’ve kept the Bluesky app invite-only and are finishing moderation before the last pieces of open federation because we wanted to prioritize user safety from the start.

Just like our approach to algorithmic choice, our approach to moderation allows for an ecosystem of third-party providers. Moderation should be a composable, customizable piece that can be layered into your experience. For custom feeds, there is a basic default (only who you follow), and then many possibilities for custom algorithms. For moderation as well, there should be a basic default, and then many custom filters available on top.

The basics of our approach to moderation are well-established practices. We do automated labeling, like centralized social sites, and make service-level admin decisions, like many federated networks. But the piece we’re most excited about is the open, composable labeling system we’re building that both developers and users can contribute to. Under the hood, centralized social sites use labeling to implement moderation — we think this piece can be unbundled, opened up to third-party innovation, and configured with user agency in mind. Anyone should be able to create or subscribe to moderation labels that third parties create.

An Ecosystem of Moderation Labeling
Here’s the way we’re designing an open, composable labeling system for moderation:

- Anyone can define and apply “labels” to content or accounts (i.e. “spam”, “nsfw”). This is a separate service, so they do not have to run a PDS (personal data server) or a client app in order to do so.
- Labels can be automatically generated (by third-party services, or by custom algorithms) or manually generated (by admins, or by users themselves)
- Any service or person in the network can choose how these labels get used to determine the final user experience.

So how will we be applying this on the Bluesky app? Automated filtering is a commoditized service by now, so we will be taking advantage of this to apply a first pass to remove illegal content and label objectionable material. Then we will apply server-level filters as admins of bsky.social, with a default setting and custom controls to let you hide, warn, or show content. On top of that, we will let users subscribe to additional sets of moderation labels that can filter out more content or accounts.

Let’s dig into the layers here. Centralized social platforms delegate all moderation to a central set of admins whose policies are set by one company. This is a bit like resolving all disputes at the level of the Supreme Court. Federated networks delegate moderation decisions to server admins. This is more like resolving disputes at a state government level, which is better because you can move to a new state if you don’t like your state's decisions — but moving is usually difficult and expensive in other networks. We’ve improved on this situation by making it easier to switch servers, and by separating moderation out into structurally independent services.

We’re calling the location-independent moderation infrastructure “community labeling” because you can opt-in to an online community’s moderation system that's not necessarily tied to the server you're on.

Community Labeling
Community labeling can be done by automated systems, or it can consist of humans manually labeling things. The human-generated label sets can be thought of as something similar to shared mute/block lists.

Here’s how we think a manual community labeling system will work:

Anyone can create a label set, then add admins or mods to help manage it
Mods can add labels that the set defines to accounts or content (“rude”, “troll”, etc.)
Anyone can subscribe to the set and have the labels be applied to their experience
What's Ahead
We’re landing a first pass on automated filtering in the app today, and will improve it based on user feedback. Community labeling is still in the works. We’ll be publishing more details soon.

Through this approach of a composable, customizable moderation system, we aim to prioritize user safety while giving people more control. An open labeling system for moderation contributed to by both developers and users will allow for innovation, transparency, and agency in this critical piece of social networking infrastructure where technical and social systems collide.

I don't know how anyone reads that and comes away with the impression that Bluesky is going to be well-moderated. It feels like people aren't really reading anything about Bluesky, and just kind of blindly assuming that it'll be an improved Twitter replacement, rather than the improved Mastodon replacement it actually is.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's weird to me how many people are forgetting that Jack and the original twitter leadership also didn't give a gently caress about Nazis or hate speech. When they added that thing that asks you if you're sure you want to see this tweet (that called a Nazi a butthead or something) they called it their snowflake filter internally.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Good to know I'm just an idiot who bit the bait, then. This is what I get for being online without coffee.

Main Paineframe posted:

Could you elaborate?

See above.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Bluesky is off to a good start because they knew what made Twitter popular with the “verified” status, and launched it with a closed beta with invites to the cool crowd. Now getting into Bluesky is the new “verified.”

edit: Also it's describing itself as "decentralized", and there's a server menu when you try to log in, so I think it's going to be a combination of Mastodon and Twitter. With the "Bluesky" server being operated like Twitter, while people have the option of joining private servers outside of Bluesky's control.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 28, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Bluesky is off to a good start because they knew what made Twitter popular with the “verified” status, and launched it with a closed beta with invites to the cool crowd. Now getting into Bluesky is the new “verified.”

edit: Also it's describing itself as "decentralized", and there's a server menu when you try to log in, so I think it's going to be a combination of Mastodon and Twitter. With the "Bluesky" server being operated like Twitter, while people have the option of joining private servers outside of Bluesky's control.

Oh, so it's a twitter/discord hybrid? If they can get the programing right and manage to attract a user base that's actually a really good idea.

I'm assuming the "no screenshots" thing is untrue and based on something taken out of context because that is a wild thing to demand and try to enforce.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh, so it's a twitter/discord hybrid? If they can get the programing right and manage to attract a user base that's actually a really good idea.

I'm assuming the "no screenshots" thing is untrue and based on something taken out of context because that is a wild thing to demand and try to enforce.

Nah, it's pretty much exactly like Mastodon. Bluesky is a Mastodon-like decentralized protocol, with the site that's opening up now being the Bluesky company's official instance (their equivalent of mastodon.social).

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Eh, if it's streamlined and easy to sign up and automatically pushes everyone to a single main instance where 99% of people will hang out, it's basically just Twitter.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

koolkal posted:

Eh, if it's streamlined and easy to sign up and automatically pushes everyone to a single main instance where 99% of people will hang out, it's basically just Twitter.
A main Twitter hub with the ability to do private servers that can interact with the main hub (and vice versa) would be an interesting twist. I think the way Mastodon is set up does encourage better self moderation, since everybody gets paranoid about their server getting banned from the other servers and dying as a result.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yep, good way to get people in with an easy setup, and familiar interface, -and I assume they'll do some version of verifying celebrities/orgs/popular accounts on the main instance- and it also allow people who want something a bit different to do that as well. Will make it easier for people to leave if they can just set up a different instance, and also how do you monetize it, but it all makes a lot of sense, and so far it seems they've been doing everything right to siphon people from twitter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I've said that making an alternative site as close to Twitter as possible would lead most people to jump ship who aren't Musk sycophants

So far I feel like Blue Sky is the first one that seems like it may actually last. The others have all had a bunch of problems with either security or functionality.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mastodon is about as useful as Discord, that is to say, not useful at all as a replacement for Twitter.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If nothing else, it seems like Bluesky is going to be one hell of a laugh factory.

First of all, they shipped blocking functionality, but with the caveat that with a bit of effort, anyone can access your blocklist and see exactly who you've blocked. So all the talking heads who block their critics will continue to be easily mockable.

Second of all, for some godforsaken reason, @everyone apparently works on Bluesky, and anybody can use it. It sends a notification ping to everyone on the site to come look at your post.
https://twitter.com/misterbumface/status/1652139012256137216

Third of all, and probably related to the previous point, Bluesky's users have managed to make so many posts in a single thread that this so-called "hellthread" crashes the app and fucks up people's notifications.
https://twitter.com/lint_ax/status/1652170003741810688

I wasn't expecting much from Jack, but at this point I've kinda gotta wonder if anyone working there has ever used social media before. Shipping without blocks and adding an @everyone feature were both obviously foolish ideas, and the hellthread is some radium-rear end poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The simplest answer is that they literally hired Radium.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

If nothing else, it seems like Bluesky is going to be one hell of a laugh factory.

First of all, they shipped blocking functionality, but with the caveat that with a bit of effort, anyone can access your blocklist and see exactly who you've blocked. So all the talking heads who block their critics will continue to be easily mockable.

Second of all, for some godforsaken reason, @everyone apparently works on Bluesky, and anybody can use it. It sends a notification ping to everyone on the site to come look at your post.
https://twitter.com/misterbumface/status/1652139012256137216

Third of all, and probably related to the previous point, Bluesky's users have managed to make so many posts in a single thread that this so-called "hellthread" crashes the app and fucks up people's notifications.
https://twitter.com/lint_ax/status/1652170003741810688

I wasn't expecting much from Jack, but at this point I've kinda gotta wonder if anyone working there has ever used social media before. Shipping without blocks and adding an @everyone feature were both obviously foolish ideas, and the hellthread is some radium-rear end poo poo.
What? Lol this loving rules.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The site's early underbaked but at least it's mostly just funny problems so far, compared with Hive's terrifying security and identity issues.

... So far.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In bluesky's defense, it's a closed beta. It's meant to find problems like this, especially when scaled up.

Like, the issue with blocking sounds something that they had thought would come up later as they increased the audience, they didn't expect the initial group of invites would have so much off-site drama to begin with.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

What? Lol this loving rules.

You might get a kick out of this one, then.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
To be fair, nothing good has ever come out of Twitter DMs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Young Freud posted:

In bluesky's defense, it's a closed beta. It's meant to find problems like this, especially when scaled up.

Like, the issue with blocking sounds something that they had thought would come up later as they increased the audience, they didn't expect the initial group of invites would have so much off-site drama to begin with.

That might explain it for anyone else, but not for Jack Dorsey. The guy spent something like seven years as CEO of Twitter, and more than a dozen years sitting on its board of directors. He was involved with Twitter in various roles from its founding in 2006 until he cut all his ties with it in the early 2020s. If he really thought people wouldn't be lovely to each other in the closed beta, that goes beyond "naive" and into "did this motherfucker learn anything at all from Twitter?".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

That might explain it for anyone else, but not for Jack Dorsey. The guy spent something like seven years as CEO of Twitter, and more than a dozen years sitting on its board of directors. He was involved with Twitter in various roles from its founding in 2006 until he cut all his ties with it in the early 2020s. If he really thought people wouldn't be lovely to each other in the closed beta, that goes beyond "naive" and into "did this motherfucker learn anything at all from Twitter?".

Given who has been getting early invites I honestly think this could have been intentional as a means of generating buzz. People want to wallow in the poo poo in twitter, that's what they like about it. They don't particularly like when all the useful things go away and the only comments with high visibility are blue check reply guys, because it's not fun OR useful. So intentionally inviting people in that are likely to stir poo poo and cause drama is not out of the question for someone who, as you described, should have been extremely aware of exactly what would happen.

There are also no DMs/PMs on bluesky, which according to Jack is intentional. Someone complained about it and he told them to use signal. So it launched with no blocking, but also no way for people to privately harass others without having off site links or identifiers.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Main Paineframe posted:

Jack personally intervened to prevent Nazis like Richard Spencer getting kicked off Twitter.
Jack learned plenty from running Twitter, just not the things we would have liked him to have learned.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Biden ripping on Elons ability to ruin things.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1652500078366449664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

lol he's like Trump, he's gonna do it now.