Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I made an impulse buy what do I do now?

The kids wanted a convertible and I am easily swayed. Loving it so far.

Edit: It's a 2017 with just under 12k miles. How much coolant do I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Double car seat owns. Also looks like it is probably really easy to buckle them in with the top down. Some might say this is the most practical kid hauler

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I've thought of that, at least until it snows.

Anyway, I grew up with my Dad having a mid 80s Toyota Celica, climbing into the backseat isn't THAT bad

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
I lifted them both up and over twice today. It totally owns. We live in MN - Practical - No. Does driving around with the top down when it's sunny and 45 degrees - Heated Seat, Heated Wheel, and the neck warmer - heal my snow covered soul? 110%.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Nice! One change I've found from the sedan/F30 to the coupe/F36 is that you do lose a little backseat legroom space. So if your kids like kicking your seat, well they're closer now, so good luck.

I kind of wish I could put the top down, then my daughter could scream into the void rather than an enclosed space. Just under 2 is harsh. For me, anyway.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheFonz posted:

Just enough to replace whatever you lose when you have to replace the charge cooler. I think it was only a quart or so when I did mine.

You’re gonna love it!

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
My son is a seat kicker - he's 3. He kicked my seat in the Charger though too. We're looking at the RideSafer vest as it'll put them(3 and 5) lower and further back in the seat. It's honestly not THAT cramped as is.

I've wanted a droptop M3 since the E46 came out when I was in Highschool. When this popped up with super low miles, Exec/Driver Assist/Sakhir Merino Leather I decided to have them value my Scat Pack on a whim. They offered me 8k less than I paid for it brand new 5 years earlier. Getting a dream car checked off while avoiding a car payment was too hard to resist.

I do need to find a winter car sometime before November now though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice choice. Do a burnout, as far as I know Somewhat Heroic still holds the record here for most children in a M3 while breaking the tires loose.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

A+ parenting. I have an old dad wagon and am fully embracing the urge to replace my older e36 with a convertible.

Your winter car should be a set of hakkapeliittas.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

A+ parenting. I have an old dad wagon and am fully embracing the urge to replace my older e36 with a convertible.

Your winter car should be a set of hakkapeliittas.

I've genuinely considered E91 + Z3 once I eventually get a house, but I don't know that I want own 2 old BMWs as my only means of transportation :thunk:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sab669 posted:

I've genuinely considered E91 + Z3 once I eventually get a house, but I don't know that I want own 2 old BMWs as my only means of transportation :thunk:

Fazm is this your parachute account?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have no idea who or what you just asked :v:

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Between the two I have always had one working (I summon thee GDCS spirits!) I’ve considered the two seaters but I should probably have something that will take two car seats.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Makes sense; no kids, just dogs for me, so I guess I would feel more obligated for at least a 2+2... but I really want 2 doors, 2 seats, more than 4 cylinders, and no roof for a weekend fun car.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Sab669 posted:

Makes sense; no kids, just dogs for me, so I guess I would feel more obligated for at least a 2+2... but I really want 2 doors, 2 seats, more than 4 cylinders, and no roof for a weekend fun car.

Nothing can quite beat the joy of driving my E88 down the freeway with the dog in the back wearing doggles absolutely leaning into the wind.

Love my baby bulldog BMW.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 27, 2023

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

I understood this reference.

Anyway, you lot are a bad influence. Just look at this. Now I have to order MORE rotors

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

TheFonz posted:

I made an impulse buy what do I do now?

The kids wanted a convertible and I am easily swayed. Loving it so far.

Was this bought at BMW of Minnetonka? My sales guy there sucks.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

TheBacon posted:

No lol, but the 986 arrives in about an hour so....

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

phosdex posted:

Was this bought at BMW of Minnetonka? My sales guy there sucks.

No, Poquet Auto in Golden Valley. I put myself on the list for the new M2 like 6 months before the orders started at both Motorwerks and BMW of Minnetonka. Neither called me.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So now I have the X5 hybrid and it uses very little gas, I think a tank would probably last me 4 to 6 months. I want to syphon the gas out of the tank into my lawn mower, so I bought this syphon, but it's for a 55 gal drum and the intake pipe is too thick to fit inside the X5's fuel filler. I guess I could return it but it's like 4 ft long and a pain in the rear end to pack up again.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Modern cars have anti-siphon / roll-over check valves anyway. It was never going to work.

If you really want to recover the gas, disconnect an engine fuel fitting and jumper on the fuel pump.

But in keeping with the spirit of this thread, I recommend doing all-wheel burnouts until she's on E.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Throatwarbler posted:

So now I have the X5 hybrid and it uses very little gas, I think a tank would probably last me 4 to 6 months. I want to syphon the gas out of the tank into my lawn mower, so I bought this syphon, but it's for a 55 gal drum and the intake pipe is too thick to fit inside the X5's fuel filler. I guess I could return it but it's like 4 ft long and a pain in the rear end to pack up again.

Lmfao theres no way this is a real post.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Throatwarbler posted:

Lawnmowers need non ethanol gas anyway

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TheWevel posted:

Lawnmowers need non ethanol gas anyway

What? I've just been filling up a red gas can at the gas station all this time, it's a riding mower not one of the little ones, Do I need to go find Shell Ultra or wharever for it now?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Most gas stations have a "NO ETHANOL" button on a couple pumps next to the usual "87, 90, 93" buttons. I don't know if this is region specific though.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it re: lawnmovers.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

TheWevel posted:

Most gas stations have a "NO ETHANOL" button on a couple pumps next to the usual "87, 90, 93" buttons. I don't know if this is region specific though.

This is absolutely only if you live in a privileged region thing

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

TheBacon posted:

This is absolutely only if you live in a privileged region thing

I've only seen this in pretty rural areas, I found one near me and I use it for my lawnmowers/weed whacker etc, but if it's a cheap one who cares, it's not going to explode with e10. My newer craftsman push mower even says it takes e10 on the cap.

Anyways back to BMW content:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
loving LOL Nevermind.

I was in the middle of an intersection at night turning left, as the light turned red. Didn't see a young guy in a van trying to beat the light. He told me he sped up to make it, but I honestly didn't see him until I was a foot into his lane, so I failed to make sure it was clear.
Back to searching. Just gotta wait for the check. Thankfully I don't owe anything on it so that should be simple. And very appreciative the kids were asleep at home and not out cruising with me.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo that sucks man :smith:

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
My BMW Ownership

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheWevel posted:

In my experience you'll find No Ethanol pumps near areas that have lakes/boat recreation areas as most boats require the no ethanol fuel. In my area you find it at the gas stations near the lakes where folks would stop to fill up their boats, but generally not at the pumps in the city proper. YMMV by gas station chain.

edit:

Is it cool to ask for buying advice here? I've already went and looked at this car, but I wasn't able to test drive it at the time. It was rush hour traffic and the dealer is right off I-10. I'm probably going to go test drive it tomorrow. Anything I should look out for specific to these cars? It's a 2019 M5 Base with 20K miles on it. It's had 2 prior owners which I think would normally be a red flag, but I don't think is a big deal for a car like this. The car looks really good in person. 2 new rear tires, interior looks brand new, someone put PPF on the front of the car, there's a full set of weathertech mats and a trunk liner in the trunk. It seems really well taken care of from my untrained eye.

The original inservice date is Oct 14, 2019, so the CPO warranty should cover the car until Oct 2024. I would only plan on keeping the car until around that time as my oldest turns 16 and the insurance will probably be astronomical with her on it.

https://www.bmwofsanantonio.com/certified/BMW/2019-BMW-M5-5aca4d730a0e0a923b5d96d20addec54.htm

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 28, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Ooooff. That stinks sorry Fonz.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That's got to be a record first post to totaled car.

Is it even totaled? Insurance companies have really ratcheted up the threshold over the years.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Probably - Lost all my precious coolant. Airbags on wheel and under wheel went off. And rollbar posts went off and through the back window.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Do newer M cars come with the kidney grilles painted? I thought that was mostly a thing people with non-M cars did.

yes I'm taking a dig at non-M cars with M stripes

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Popete posted:

Do newer M cars come with the kidney grilles painted? I thought that was mostly a thing people with non-M cars did.

I have no idea. The dealer printed the build sheet for me, the only options on the build sheet are the 20" rims, wheel locks, and the first aid kit. I'm guessing it's something one of the prior owners added.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Popete posted:

M-personation is what I said aloud to the decal-covered M440i parked next to me at the store yesterday

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

skipdogg posted:

I have no idea. The dealer printed the build sheet for me, the only options on the build sheet are the 20" rims, wheel locks, and the first aid kit. I'm guessing it's something one of the prior owners added.

The non-Ms can have the black grill and trim as an option (Shadowline Package) and it looks like lots of the Ms do as well (but not the current M5?).

The grille is just a once piece thing pressed in with 2 clips anyway, you can buy a different colored one from Amazon and snap it in with just a trim lifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Woof at the same-page beginning & end of your M experience, Fonz. That sucks, sounds like nobody was hurt which is good, but drat. That may even beat the Mazda curse.