Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Owling Howl posted:

Ukraine did not shoot down 300 planes and 300 helicopters. Full stop.
What about the entirety of Russia's Black Sea navy fleet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Owling Howl posted:

I didn't notice they split helicopters and planes and are claiming 600+ shot down in total, yeah that's ridiculous.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Popete posted:

I didn't notice they split helicopters and planes and are claiming 600+ shot down in total, yeah that's ridiculous.

Maybe they are throwing certain types of drones that are more aircraft-like (like Orlan drones) in with aircraft and the drone figure they cite is quadcopter type drones? Maybe? I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe they are throwing certain types of drones that are more aircraft-like (like Orlan drones) in with aircraft and the drone figure they cite is quadcopter type drones? Maybe? I'm just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That would at best be disingenuous.

Really all those numbers seem outlandish.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Popete posted:

That would at best be disingenuous.

Really all those numbers are outlandish.

Oryx includes drones and has confirmed nearly 400. Given the lifetime of drones at the front and the difficulty in confirmation of them, 600 is not outlandish.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

No, they haven't, they state a completely ridiculous number of KIA that devalues it as a whole. Better to ignore it and leave as a morale-raising tool for Ukrainian public.

Had they actually managed to kill/wound 200k Russian troops Ukraine would have won the war.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
The leaked FSB numbers were ~110,000 so I imagine the real number is in between.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Had they actually managed to kill/wound 200k Russian troops Ukraine would have won the war.

If you have better numbers, present them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The leaks seem to disagree with you there, but OK, clearly internet goon Obvious knows better than the entire US intelligence service

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. I take the KI numbers not at face value, but as a "ballpark" and also a good indicator of when Russia's gotten a black eye. Sure, maybe 18 artillery guns weren't destroyed, but if they're reporting that they definitely killed more than a handful so arty had a Bad Day.

200k casualties doesn't seem outlandish when you consider they've thrown upwards of 400K people at Ukraine and have been suffering setbacks for the better part of a year, minus one meatgrinder of a front.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

plogo posted:

The leaked FSB numbers were ~110,000 so I imagine the real number is in between.

US estimates from the leaked documents are 40-50k KIA
BBC/Mediazona confirmed open source headcount is at 20k (absolute base level due to methodology)

Dont know what are the "leaked FSB documents", sounds sensationalistic.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 28, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

50k killed could easily equate to 200k casualties, and not all wounded are taken out of action, many get patched up and sent back to the front.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It would be amusing to think that infrafactional infighting in Russia has gotten to the point where FSB can't get accurate stats from the MoD. Alas no chance as long as Vova lives.

Also will people please, PLEASE be specific if they mean killed or overall casualties when they drop a number. Otherwise it's like saying that some distance is 57883. Feet, kilometers, nautical miles?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Oryx includes drones and has confirmed nearly 400. Given the lifetime of drones at the front and the difficulty in confirmation of them, 600 is not outlandish.

UAVs are a separate category, though--they're claiming almost 2500 of those.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

IIRC, in WW2 most militaries had roughly a 1:4 KIA:WIA ratio, so that's roughly what I'd expect to see in Ukraine. Given we know at least 20000 russian soldiers are dead, that puts our lower bound KIA+WIA at 100k, which makes 200k a reasonable speculation on the actual figure.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rust Martialis posted:

If you have better numbers, present them.

No one has better numbers, that's the point. Combat causalities in conflicts is pretty much always a crap shoot because both sides lie through their teeth and often the only time you actually have real numbers is when total cauasalties are <1000 because it's way easier to track.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The leaked US estimates put Russian casualties (killed + wounded, to be clear) at around 200k, while Ukraine is at around 130k. It also suggests Russia has sustained around twice as many deaths as Ukraine. Obviously the US could just be wrong but given the nature of the leak it seems unlikely that those figures are an intentional lie.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nothingtoseehere posted:

IIRC, in WW2 most militaries had roughly a 1:4 KIA:WIA ratio, so that's roughly what I'd expect to see in Ukraine. Given we know at least 20000 russian soldiers are dead, that puts our lower bound KIA+WIA at 100k, which makes 200k a reasonable speculation on the actual figure.

Hasn't modern combat medicine vastly increased the latter side of that ratio since then, though?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

Hasn't modern combat medicine vastly increased the latter side of that ratio since then, though?

Well field medicine has probably improved things are a lot deadlier too. I don't think we have many other modern peer to peer large scale conflicts to compare this too where we could estimate KIA:WIA. Even the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq where pretty lop-sided in favour of one side.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Fuschia tude posted:

Yes, but somehow I don't think Russian soldiers/Wagner are getting the best of care.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Saint Celestine posted:

Yes, but somehow I don't think Russian soldiers/Wagner are getting the best of care.
The United States Army spent billions on improving medical care and developing world-class bandages to stop their soliders bleeding out.

The Russians used tampons.

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009
There has been reporting here and there of Russian soldiers having absolutely godawful field first aid kits (think, tourniquet + vodka). None of us here know the actual figures, but assuming Russian care for their wounded has improved significantly since WW II is probably a bit of a stretch.

On 200k casualties, I don't see how this is completely outside of the realm of possibility, or how the war would be won if that number were true? The initial invading force was reported at around 160-170k (+LNR & DNR?), there was some reinforcement stream (unquantified) when it was clear their first shock & awe strategy didn't work, and the mobilization figures floated were around 400k. Sooo, even with numbers that have been reported, 160+400-200 = 360k (iimplied) soldiers still on the front. I know this math probably doesn't stand to much scrutiny, but at least it's indicative.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Owling Howl posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1525601973336125440

They were claiming 200+ a year ago. Not that I'm defending it, but that's the timeframe.

I think there's a lot of mismatch between different groups attributing UAVs and big drones as planes. And then it all getting lumped into one category. It's really not worth thinking that much about though. Both sides are drumming up stats for propaganda.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

BBC/Mediazona confirmed open source headcount is at 20k (absolute base level due to methodology)

Worth noting that Ukrainian and I suspect US estimates include LDNR combatants, while BBC only monitor soldiers from Russia proper, and they count Wagner mercenaries separately.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Tigey posted:

The United States Army spent billions on improving medical care and developing world-class bandages to stop their soliders bleeding out.

The Russians used tampons.

My understanding is that the bandages that stop bleeding are basically just using sterile kaolin clay.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

OAquinas posted:

Yeah. I take the KI numbers not at face value, but as a "ballpark" and also a good indicator of when Russia's gotten a black eye. Sure, maybe 18 artillery guns weren't destroyed, but if they're reporting that they definitely killed more than a handful so arty had a Bad Day.

200k casualties doesn't seem outlandish when you consider they've thrown upwards of 400K people at Ukraine and have been suffering setbacks for the better part of a year, minus one meatgrinder of a front.

I seem to remember them breaking out wounded early on in the war (it was always just 3x their killed number) and then only started reporting this "liquidated" number. That's why these numbers are outlandish, this is, to the best of my knowledge, claimed kills, not casualties.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fuschia tude posted:

With prompt cas-evac like Western forces have in conflicts where they enjoy air supremacy, absolutely. That is not the reality for Russia or Ukraine.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bar Ran Dun posted:

My understanding is that the bandages that stop bleeding are basically just using sterile kaolin clay.

Last I heard it's ground up shellfish shells somehow, or something related to it. When I went in they were very, very specific about asking everyone for shellfish allergies repeatedly during the medical exam portion of entry. Like, it was a disqualifying condition to have. Was years ago so changes could have happened between then and now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

quote:

QuikClot Combat Gauze® XL is a 2-ply, 10 cm x 3,6 meter strip of soft, white, nonwoven, hydrophilic gauze impregnated with kaolin, an inorganic mineral that is both safe and effective in accelerating the body's natural clotting cascade without any exothermic reactions or use of animal or human proteins.

Seems that any serious food allergy that can lead to anaphylaxis can be disqualifying from enlistment.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 28, 2023

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

It's from this new york times article. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/13/world/europe/russia-intelligence-leaks.html

i was referring to casualties not KIA.

ny times posted:

F.S.B. officials, the document says, contend that the ministry’s toll did not include the dead and wounded among the Russian National Guard, the Wagner mercenary force or fighters fielded by Ramzan Kadyrov, the strongman leader of the southern Russian republic of Chechnya. The sundry fighting forces that the Kremlin has deployed in Ukraine have sometimes acted at cross purposes, further complicating Russia’s military effort.

The F.S.B. “calculated the actual number of Russians wounded and killed in action was closer to 110,000,” the document says.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nitrox posted:

It's not a report that could be checked or scrutinized, because they explain absolutely nothing, never have. They just publish weekly numbers and that's it. So let's not take it at face value

Nobody is. The posters immediately above you pointed out that Ukraine's MoD estimates largely correlate with those of the US DoD and UK MoD, OSINT analysis, leaked intelligence assessments, etc. Is it possible that all of those entities are in some coordinated conspiracy to publish simliar numbers. Sure, I suppose. Is it plausible? Not really. It's more plausible that they are all coming to the same wrong conclusion for different reasons, but even that is a stretch.

A preponderance of evidence indicates that Ukraine's MoD numbers are fairly accurate, and certainly accurate enough for reasonable policy decisions to be made.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Well, they do seem to have caused Russia to lose the war. Also, I think you're incorrectly discounting the effectiveness of Russia's mobilization. It was not successful enough to launch a successful offensive, but remains to be seen if it was effective enough to wage a successful defense.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 28, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is just something personally interesting because when the war started in February '22, I made Hugo Simberg's Wounded Angel into my Windows background image. It still is.

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1652008430972878849

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdZn7k5rZLQ

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So other than the F-16 being more modern than the MIG29, would it really enhance Ukraine's performance in the upcoming counteroffensive?

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Willo567 posted:

So other than the F-16 being more modern than the MIG29, would it really enhance Ukraine's performance in the upcoming counteroffensive?

It would allow Ukraine to use western air-to-air missiles, which have much longer range than what they use now among other advantages. That would reduce the risk of Russian CAS.

They would also be able to use more air-launched precision fires, which the west has quite a lot of.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Last I heard it's ground up shellfish shells somehow, or something related to it.

It was discovered because folks that handle kaolin as a bulk commodity would use it to stop cuts from bleeding.

I used to do cleanliness surveys for bulk kaolin loading. They use it in glossy paper making. It’s an incredibly sensitive cargo that needs a tremendous amount of hold preparation. It’s almost literally a white glove inspection. One of the vessels that used to engage in the trade was alongside in the tsunami in Japan. If you read about the tsunami one ship cut their lines and immediately got underway and managed to get perpendicular to the tsunami. I worked with that chief officer on kaolin and alumina ships for years. His name was Oleg. Looked like an Eastern European Danny Devito. That vessel was always Ukraine/ Eastern European crew with a Russian Captain.

To bring this back around I’ve been told that crewing model is still functioning. Basically the Russians officers get on and are like yep, nah I don’t need to go home and get drafted I’ll just keep working forever. They’re putting up Filipino length contracts / time on vessels 18 - 24 + months apparently.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Willo567 posted:

As mentioned, they could use Western missiles, which would give them additional capability, but tbh with how saturated the entire area is with Anti-air poo poo no one is likely going to be able to do much of anything with them.

I would not want to be a pilot in this conflict.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Here is a nice write up comparing them to current capabilities:
https://twitter.com/GresselGustav/status/1651977746619219970

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/lunchbox997/status/1650952334057566209

Remote-controlled machine gun controlled by a Steam Deck.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Last I heard it's ground up shellfish shells somehow, or something related to it. When I went in they were very, very specific about asking everyone for shellfish allergies repeatedly during the medical exam portion of entry. Like, it was a disqualifying condition to have. Was years ago so changes could have happened between then and now.

You’re probably thinking of chitogauze https://safeguardmedical.com/products/haemorrhage-control/prometheus-chitogauze-xr-pro/ in which the active ingredient is chitosan.

I like to think of it as medical prawn crackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/lunchbox997/status/1650952334057566209[url]

Remote-controlled machine gun controlled by a Steam Deck.

The cyberpunk dream we always had. Some of the things I've seen between this war and the Myanmar civil war makes me realize we're a lot closer to weird tech-infused conflicts in the future than we realize. Even while WW2-era anti-aircraft are mounted to semi trucks to be used as direct fire as infantry charge trench lines.