Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Of course we'll never know and I understand what you guys are saying I only chose Cancey so I didn't have to list everyone. I just wanted a DL early.

Dexo I get it. None of us are GMs otherwise we'd be in the room, but that argument may not hold up with previous Lions regimes. I felt smarter than those guys. Holmes has been making picks that 90% line up with what I'd do (I would've traded up for Davis last year, not Williams) so he has a measure of trust from me, but don't act like armchair GM isn't a staple of being a football fan. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

Carter discourse is going to be awful because he's going to be great on the Eagles and bears fans will be grumbling for years, but I just don't see him working out as a bear at all.

Hot take but I think Carter is a huge bust risk. I can easily see him going full Haynesworth.

Wright was a way better value (protect your drat QB) and way safer of a pick.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions do need a DT, but more in line with a 3 tech run stopper which are available Day 2.

They could shift Alim over to 3 tech and draft a nose which are later round picks (or perhaps Brad drafts one in the 2nd to drive everyone nuts)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My guess is the bears are going to need to jump the lions in order to get Adebawore

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Regardless of how well he plays, Carter isn't right for the Bears right now. Their absolute number one priority is to figure out if Justin Fields is the guy, and they made the pick that helps them do that.

Crossposting from Draftermath thread, Holmes on Gibbs.

quote:

As for whether these players could have been had later in the draft, Holmes quickly dismissed that idea. The Lions general manager said they thought about waiting until Pick 18 to grab Gibbs, but they didn’t feel good about their chances. When they decided to take Gibbs at 12, that’s when the texts from other teams came in, confirming to Holmes that he wouldn’t have made it six picks later.

“When we were able to select him at 12, that’s when all the texts started coming in of, ‘Oh,(he) would’ve been gone by 15,’” Holmes said. “Just a lot of picks, a lot of people saying they wanted to trade up, they wanted to get him.”

Seems like he wouldn't have been there at 18!

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Possible. I think the lions might like Benton too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Please enjoy this video of Darnell Wright pancaking a whole lot of defenders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PthpXrITakA

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

Regardless of how well he plays, Carter isn't right for the Bears right now. Their absolute number one priority is to figure out if Justin Fields is the guy, and they made the pick that helps them do that.

Normally, I would say this is cope from a GM defensive about being roasted for his pick.

Brad and Campbell are pretty open (maybe too open) about things though, so I believe it. I think more teams had Gibbs and Bijon pretty closely ranked and people got spooked when Bijon went 8th.

Last night when Brad was asked about Swift and said he was still under contact in a deadpan voice, it was pretty obvious what he thinks.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Danny LaFever posted:

Normally, I would say this is cope from a GM defensive about being roasted for his pick.

Brad and Campbell are pretty open (maybe too open) about things though, so I believe it. I think more teams had Gibbs and Bijon pretty closely ranked and people got spooked when Bijon went 8th.

Last night when Brad was asked about Swift and said he was still under contact in a deadpan voice, it was pretty obvious what he thinks.

I think Gibbs might wind up just as good, he seems built for the Lions offense, fast, fluid, versatile. Also the lions haven't had a LB that can cover a TE in a decade, if Campbell can do that he'll be a huge success.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

MJeff posted:

I can't argue, I thought he was going mid-20s but who am I? :) It makes me feel a little better, grab the guys you love. The rest is a risk.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hot take but I think Carter is a huge bust risk. I can easily see him going full Haynesworth.

Wright was a way better value (protect your drat QB) and way safer of a pick.

Carter is going to be lining up next to some incredible talent though. If he busts, I’m guessing it’ll be for non-football reasons.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions fans will love Jack Campbell. He's basically a modern Chris Spielman.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Danny LaFever posted:

I really want to see how Johnson uses Gibbs. I think they can spread him out and get him the ball in space. Use him like 49ers use Deebo. Holmes expects him to be a big contributor at the start and if Johnson schemes him well he could contend for rookie OPOY which for the 12th overall pick is pretty good value. This draft looks week on receivers and Holmes might have found a "receiver" that's listed as an RB.

They touched on this in the draft coverage for an earlier pick, might even have been Bijon actually, regarding how there are players who major in WR with minors in RB, and now we should start talking about players who are majors at RB with minors at WR.

Sounds like Gibbs could be in that same bracket. He seems like a fun tool for Ben Johnson to work with. He's an explosive offensive weapon in both the run and passing game, and maybe just dismissing him as a first round RB isn't telling the full story. It isn't like we've spent a first round pick on a bruising back to hammer away at picking up 3 or 4 yards a time.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I understand people sayin that the lions reached, but they were able to trade back, get more capital, and get their guy. Seems drat good to me.

I also understand why people get upset on draft day. Its not about the players. Its about how badly your gm might get fleeced in a trade. Pace trading up one spot for Trubs was fuckin embarrassing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm fine with trading up for a premium position, but mostly you just gotta be right.

If Trubs worked out it would simply be,

"Well pace knew this guy was that dude, and paid some picks to ensure he got his QB and didn't get sniped by the niners trading with someone else"

People would question if they haaad to do it but no one would be mad.

If you trade up you just gotta be right.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ZombieCrew posted:

I understand people sayin that the lions reached, but they were able to trade back, get more capital, and get their guy. Seems drat good to me.

I also understand why people get upset on draft day. Its not about the players. Its about how badly your gm might get fleeced in a trade. Pace trading up one spot for Trubs was fuckin embarrassing.

Yeah, but that was an obviously risky move. Getting upset because you may have picked the wrong RB or WR or LT is a little pointless (unless there is something obviously wrong with the pick, like injuries, crimes or things like that) because all these picks are crapshoots.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I felt ok with being pissed Ebron went over Donald, what should have been the easiest decision for a FO to make. But yeah, y'all right about not losing it over picks otherwise.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27b36h0tcMA

Lol MCDC. "I love your last name"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I remember getting very mad that the bears picked devin hester over leonard pope, it was then that I realized I am an idiot and have just switched to demanding the bears draft northwestern guys because I like them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I like the Vikings pick

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've never seen this before but Fields's reaction to getting drafted by the bears is like a guy being told to walk the plank lmao. https://twitter.com/BearsNationCHI/status/1651733554311618561?s=20

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1651998280631431186?s=20

Okay so yeah this lends to my belief Holmes had him as the top ranked skill player on his board.

I guess it gives him cover that he was cognizant that taking him at #6 wasn't necessary and did a good job moving back, but didn't think he'd last to 18.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Look, the grenade was sitting out there and if we didn't jump on it, someone else was going to!

I can get with the idea that freaking out over your teams picks (for things other than sexpestery, racism, etc) is dumb, but roasting other teams picks from gut feel and snap reactions is a time honored tradition and should be respected as such.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The bears are taking Levis at R3P1

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

The bears are taking Levis at R3P1

To play DE

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/lions/status/1652021361135566849?s=46&t=KKYnOgVYQpJDf4RPi8veZA

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It makes me happy to see Calvin around the team. It would be rad to meet Barry and Calvin like that.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I mean, two of the best to ever play the game would be pretty loving awesome for a young football player.

Loved Gibbs on Bama before defenses caught on that he was the only player worth defending.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

To run the world's most powerful HBO play of ALL TIME.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I've never seen this before but Fields's reaction to getting drafted by the bears is like a guy being told to walk the plank lmao. https://twitter.com/BearsNationCHI/status/1651733554311618561?s=20

Guy who is not happy posted:

Happy, though. I'm happy. For sure.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1652049539220512771?t=DcKk-hByXVEcRgyLPydGtQ&s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

R.D. Mangles posted:

:drat:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:lol:

:shrug:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

shoot your shot jared why not.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have to know the context of that. Jared isn't really a poo poo talker. But he does have a little :smug: in him I suppose.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Danny LaFever posted:

I have to know the context of that. Jared isn't really a poo poo talker. But he does have a little :smug: in him I suppose.

He's got that dog in 'im.
A small one that freezes up until the other dog walks away and then goes for the sniffs

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Maybe you can categorize draft picks in the following ways, and that the lower you go the worse it gets:

1.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about, who fills a need, and plays at a premium position <-- hooray
2.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about and who fills a need, but who doesn't play at a premium position
3.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about who doesn't fill a need but who plays at a premium position
4.) We drafted a guy we're thrilled about who doesn't fill a need or play at a premium position
5.) We drafted a guy we don't love but who fills a need and plays at a premium position
6.) We drafted a guy we don't love who doesn't fill a need but who plays at a premium position
7.) We drafted a guy we don't love who fills a need but who doesn't play at a premium position
8.) We drafted a guy we don't love, who doesn't fill a need, and who doesn't play at a premium position <-- this probably never happens

Obviously, we can't know who teams are actually excited about and who they're just trying to talk up because the board didn't fall their way, so it's all academic anyway.

Looking at the Lions picks yesterday, though, I think one falls in category #2 and the other is in category #4, so that's sub-optimal but not terrible. People's complaints about it basically boil down to "when you're picking that high, you should be able to find someone to hit that #1 scenario," but everyone's saying it's a weak draft anyway in terms of top-end talent so maybe not this year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Give me more Iowa guys. More! MORE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

MJeff posted:

Give me more Iowa guys. More! MORE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

I just hope this isn't Holmes up his own rear end sniffin his own sauce. Every pick they've made has been a "huh?" from everyone.