Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ally can play android gamse? How does it work? Its just the win11 optional android layer and you install the Amazon app store and play whatever on that app store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ally can play android gamse? How does it work? Its just the win11 optional android layer and you install the Amazon app store and play whatever on that app store?

Yeah it’s gotta be something like that.

Or it can do like bluestacks or whatever.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company

evilmiera posted:

How much does it boost it by? It was already fairly powerful.

This guy has tested a few games and done a write up - https://www.reddit.com/r/retroid/comments/12zzwl8/rp3_highend_game_performance_before_and_after/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

evilmiera posted:

How much does it boost it by? It was already fairly powerful.

They fixed the audio lag to the point where Gitaroo Man Lives on PSP is almost perfect. It was unplayable before the update

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got a RP3+ a while ago and I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far, but I do have a couple of questions.

1) From time to time (and only while using a Retroarch core as far as I can tell) a game will 'snag' for a split second then continue on. It's not a constant stuttering, just a really short hitch, and on games/platforms the 3+ shouldn't be having any issues whatsoever, like SNES or a GBA game.

I thought it could be retroachievements, because it would snag every time I saw one popping up, but it would do it without one popping up from time to time, and I disabled retroachievements and still does it. Mind, it's very rare, maybe once or twice a session, and it doesn't really impact the gameplay, but it does piss me off because it's my shiny new toy. :v: Any ideas?

2) War of the Lions for the PSP had the weird slowdown during animations, can this be fixed while emulating it? I tried to patch the rom file but I couldn't make it work, it just ends up corrupting it :(
Do I just go for the PS1 version instead?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought that new Advance Wars remaster looks like poo poo so I booted up AW2 on my RG353m last night and man that game still slaps and this is a perfect form factor to play the game in. I'm not using this thing every day anymore but it is great for dicking around with on the couch while watching tv.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pardon my ignorance here: what does OTA stand for exactly? I can't tell if it's official firmware for the RP3+ or one of those custom ones that usually improve this sort of device.

Edmond Dantes posted:

2) War of the Lions for the PSP had the weird slowdown during animations, can this be fixed while emulating it? I tried to patch the rom file but I couldn't make it work, it just ends up corrupting it :(

It does that unpatched. If you can't apply the patch yourself try to locate a copy with it already applied.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Over-the-air - the kind you get using the built-in firmware update function rather than having to manually load onto it. I don’t have a 3 but it should be living somewhere in the system section of Settings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

Pardon my ignorance here: what does OTA stand for exactly? I can't tell if it's official firmware for the RP3+ or one of those custom ones that usually improve this sort of device.

It does that unpatched. If you can't apply the patch yourself try to locate a copy with it already applied.

Over The Air, basically a pointless acronym to say it supports online updates which of course it does. It's Android. So this would be the latest version of the Retroid Android installation.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Spent all night setting up my Odin on Windows to play Pokémon fan games only to eventually realize it’s basically not possible. Out of frustration, I got on my Steam Deck and set it up there — works great. Dread set in when I realized the Steam Deck is in no way actually portable.

Got back on Android on the Odin, and with JoiPlay and Game Keyboard+ configured, I can play the games exactly how I want to.

Which led to me trying to install it on my RP3+ and look, it works perfectly fine and the smaller screen size makes the pixels look a far bit sharper.

That’s my story. How I went from buying an expensive super powerful Android handheld to ultimately play Pokémon fan games and ended up right back where I started. With a device that I was for sure going to sell just days ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
OTA isn't an entirely pointless acronym if you're like me and were in the trenches flashing builds of Windows Mobile 5 to your HTC phone in 2005. Or owned a PSP and didn't have wifi, I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

OTA isn't an entirely pointless acronym if you're like me and were in the trenches flashing builds of Windows Mobile 5 to your HTC phone in 2005. Or owned a PSP and didn't have wifi, I guess.

poo poo these stupid rear end handhelds only recently started getting them android or not.

The first few android ones definitely didn’t have OTA updates.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
OTA is not a pointless acronym as long as there are retro devices shipping with microusb and other cruft components. Since I’m p sure some still use miniusb we got a long time to go.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Mini USB? nnnnnooo way. Only old Nokia and Palm phones used mini USB. They predate Android

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I own several third party retro game consoles with mini usb sockets

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Russ' first impressions on the RP Flip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ia3zs6CAAA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just looking at the thumbnail of the video it kinda looks like crap?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is definitely an :effort: design

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
that's a thick boy

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
is this a diy kit where I have to print the stls myself? Cause if not that looks like poo poo

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Nope, that's a real-rear end product being manufactured and sold after the Retroid Pocket 3+

In other news, pulled the trigger on a Miyoo Mini plus, gonna see how it stacks up against my RG35XX

All I do is GB/GBA anyway. The perfect form factor for the perfect consoles

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This flip is basically putting the RP3+ parts in a different shelf right? Should have call it RP3F

You know what they should do? Put a 3+/405m body inside a Gameboy SP metal body, that will make me open my wallet.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 28, 2023

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only hardware difference is the flip has better cooling so it might run high end stuff a little better

I like the form factor and I never had a problem with those circle pads, but it just looks really ugly with all that flat blank plastic. They should have included a decal like that powkiddy tiger one

Or, better yet,

A loving KEYBOARD

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
They should've included a vmu

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

endocriminologist posted:

They should've included a vmu

an emu machine with a dedicated screen for vmu and pokemon mini sounds kinda awesome

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

flavor.flv posted:

The only hardware difference is the flip has better cooling so it might run high end stuff a little better

I like the form factor and I never had a problem with those circle pads, but it just looks really ugly with all that flat blank plastic. They should have included a decal like that powkiddy tiger one

Or, better yet,

A loving KEYBOARD

No include a tiny 2nd screen for DS stuff.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

No include a tiny 2nd screen for DS stuff.

Compromise: Put the DS stuff on the vmu screen resolution be damned

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The weirdest thing about the Flip for me is that it looks so cheap despite them seemingly deciding to stop making cheap-appearing products with the RP3 and 3+. It’s like the released Flip is what they would have put out as the 3 if the 3 simply didn’t exist.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

yeah i'm not understanding the low effort design, it almost looks like something powkiddy would put out for $100.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Just got my Miyoo Mini Plus, upgraded it and got OnionOS installed. Thing goes back to the system menu after loading anything, the volume doesn’t seem to work at all and the power button doesn’t seem to work right either.

Man what a waste of money.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Djarum posted:

Just got my Miyoo Mini Plus, upgraded it and got OnionOS installed. Thing goes back to the system menu after loading anything, the volume doesn’t seem to work at all and the power button doesn’t seem to work right either.

are you sure you put the right version of OnionOS on?

The "Latest" release on the github actually isn't compatibile with the + you need to grab the beta release here https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion/releases/tag/latest

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Photex posted:

are you sure you put the right version of OnionOS on?

The "Latest" release on the github actually isn't compatibile with the + you need to grab the beta release here https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion/releases/tag/latest

I had a version of the Beta that was from a few days ago. I just download it again and it magically worked. Gotta love janky software.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The sliders having L3/R3 functionality is a nice surprise, I'm more than satisfied with my RG353P for the the foreseeable future but neat that they did that

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Djarum posted:

Yeah, what others said. It’s up here: https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion/releases/tag/dev-v4.2.0-beta

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've tried looking for slightly more comprehensive lists of PS2 games that have been tested on the Retroid 3 +

Anyone ever tried a .hack game on one? I've got other PS2 games I wanna play, but those first 4 could eat up a ton of my free time and it'd suck if they didn't play well.

I find myself in between getting something like the R3+ and a Steam Deck. With the Deck I see potential in playing some more modern games, but that's a price point I'm always going to hesitate on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

I've tried looking for slightly more comprehensive lists of PS2 games that have been tested on the Retroid 3 +

Anyone ever tried a .hack game on one? I've got other PS2 games I wanna play, but those first 4 could eat up a ton of my free time and it'd suck if they didn't play well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vf7SIS7ecWa_J301h0mb2bxMWBMtKLvcpAFyaa5-LDc/edit#gid=380646399

Can confirm that INFECTION ran just fine from about an hour's testing

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i knew the vita emulator could already run some games surprisingly well on pc, but i didn't think such a low power device could hope to do so (they probably have similar innards)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

now that's a compatibility list, thank you!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Everyone wondering why the Retroid Pocket Flip design looks so half-assed has clearly just gotten used to the locations of the Start, Select, Volume and Home buttons on the RP3 and forgot how baffling they were when it came out. That whole system was just "build a Switch Lite clone around an iPhone 6 display" and every deviation from that blueprint was goofy as hell. The Flip is completely on brand for Retroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
the only halfassery I see is that Retroid failed to put neodymium magnets on the tips of the grip's studs that plug into where the screws are, for a better connection.