Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kyte posted:

Ángel seems like a crappy dad.
And keeping emotional distance despite acting like he cares.
Ángel seems like the kind of person that had legitimate grievances with his father, but either learned the wrong things from the experience or just keeps using it as an excuse to justify bad behavior. He also tries to play opposite his father’s intensity to disarm people and appear less scuzzy. But he’s been in like three panels so we’ll see.

Also Suzy is likely not a Spender considering the family believes he fled town. Just seems like she would have heard the story by now and told her parents that her long lost uncle/cousin/whatever is a teacher at her school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

Also Suzy is likely not a Spender considering the family believes he fled town. Just seems like she would have heard the story by now and told her parents that her long lost uncle/cousin/whatever is a teacher at her school.

That makes the Lisa panel even weirder. What could her last name be that it's important for her to withhold it, and why tease that if the readers don't already know the last name? It makes it kinda a meaningless suspense panel.

I guess it could be her first name that she's hiding, having people refer to her by her middle name or something.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Suzy is also seen having a pretty nice looking bedroom (which was probably part of the reason people thought they were related) when it's also just been established that the Spenders have no money and have been selling everything off just to keep up appearances

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-20
Flipflop backstory inbound

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Baxborough, huh?

I think we can probably start to guess the true identity of Max's Scrapdragon...

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
How so?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kyte posted:

How so?

The Scrapdragon has magnetic motifs and we know spirits become kinda unrecognizable when they grudge up.

Flipflop, Hiphop, and Switchswatch were following a master spirit named Polaris before it vanished. The theme of flipping between two opposites matches up, and Polaris was mentioned alongside a bunch of other spirits that got systematically taken down (as described by Nin earlier in this chapter). Would not be at all surprising if Polaris was defeated, its grudge sealed into a tool and then held in one of Davy's/the Witch's strongholds.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Scrapdragon has magnetic motifs and we know spirits become kinda unrecognizable when they grudge up.

Flipflop, Hiphop, and Switchswatch were following a master spirit named Polaris before it vanished. The theme of flipping between two opposites matches up, and Polaris was mentioned alongside a bunch of other spirits that got systematically taken down (as described by Nin earlier in this chapter). Would not be at all surprising if Polaris was defeated, its grudge sealed into a tool and then held in one of Davy's/the Witch's strongholds.

While that all ties it up nicely, we just had that panel a bit ago where Penny uh, "borrowed" Max's tool's power, and it was that Contract Claws thing, which screamed sphinx litter. I'd be completely happy if that turned out to be a red herring, but if so, then isn't that gonna cause some issues with consistency in the coming story?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

While that all ties it up nicely, we just had that panel a bit ago where Penny uh, "borrowed" Max's tool's power, and it was that Contract Claws thing, which screamed sphinx litter. I'd be completely happy if that turned out to be a red herring, but if so, then isn't that gonna cause some issues with consistency in the coming story?

Contract Claws came specifically from the spirit Max is possessed by, not the one in his tool.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

that wasn't max's tool power she borrowed. max has scrapdragon in his bat, but he's also being directly possessed by the sphinx of contracts

e: son of a bitch!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ah, right, I forgot that bit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Simsmagic posted:

Suzy is also seen having a pretty nice looking bedroom (which was probably part of the reason people thought they were related) when it's also just been established that the Spenders have no money and have been selling everything off just to keep up appearances
This could be explained that Spender’s aunt and uncle are Suzy’s parents, and they still have their wealth. If Bill is pretending to be rich, then his sibling may not know the truth and wouldn’t assist in the search for their nephew, because Bill sheepishly insists he can easily afford to continue the search on his own to maintain the illusion of wealth.

Suzy having a nice house just makes it really unlikely the Spenders have a third kid, especially given that Suzy would be another kid with a near decade gap after the last one.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames
Why are the characters so fat and lumpy

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
why are you like this

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames
I just don't get why the characters look the way they do. What message is the artist trying to convey

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Zibraltar posted:

I just don't get why the characters look the way they do. What message is the artist trying to convey

it's

a cartoon

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

Patware posted:

it's

a cartoon

Oh okay Got It

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zibraltar posted:

Why are the characters so fat and lumpy

Turn on your monitor.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-21

I swear I'm gonna have to reread this comic at some point because there's so much going on

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Flip-flop explaining to Isabel exactly all the poo poo she wants to be told but isn't noticing because she's too wrapped up in her own bullshit lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So Polaris is captured (and unless some crazy poo poo happened with him losing control of his "grudge", I now doubt the hypothetical Polaris-Scrapdragon connection), Hiphop is free, Switchswatch is at the Guerra stronghold.

I don't know why, but the reveal that there are multiple wights seems like a surprise?, as well as that Great Wights used to rule the planet. So now we know of three: Polaris, the Angel, and Sandman (possibly the Great Sphinx). They all seem to have some of powerful attracting pull to spirits who happen to hear of them.

From Page 5, Nin says that the "strongest spectral" beat a wight with a beam. This has gotta be Spender, right? Is the black spirit inside him the remnants of that wight, or was it the Great Sphinx that he destroyed, or another wight?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

pik_d posted:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-21

I swear I'm gonna have to reread this comic at some point because there's so much going on
Zack is pretty darn good at payoffs for all the plot balls they are juggling, but they do overstuff these chapters with characters and background info. You’d think this would have just been a goofy TMNT reference, but no we have three more characters to learn about. This chapter alone we have the sphinxes including a new sphinx, the Flipflop family, the Witch’s background, more about Penny, more about Angel, more about the Spender family as a whole and their relationship with Penny/Richard, more about the vampire gang, more about Ritz, more about Ollie and his family, and uh a tiny bit more about max’s dad and Isabel’s mom.

That is a LOT of stuff being established, which can dull the impact when you see a random frog spirit three years from now and wonder why they’re important.

Letting it all breathe would likely mean the comic ends on 2095, forcing Zack to undergo a journey later in life to find the artist with both the skill and just the right amount of anime brain poisoning to take up the torch. So I dunno, let Zack take the reins and just enjoy the experience of learning about all 20+ members of the student council.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-22

I cannot believe I didn't see this coming.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's so drat obvious in hindsight.
Also that's way cute.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Zack is rad at designing cute little guys.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
lmao at the candlestick phone blushing because an angel is using it (him? her?)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

aegof posted:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-22

I cannot believe I didn't see this coming.

:smug: I read this comic pretty closely, I'm sure I'll be able to anticipate whatever this is.

Oh it's that character, time for some more backstory lore.

Oh goddamnit how did I not see this coming.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zack has said that the black/white color dealy with be explained Soon. Namely, why Ángel can switch and why the Angel has white (without being a wight, maybe).

They also confirmed that Cherub’s color is pale yellow, so presumably someone in this crew can change energy colors or having white energy lets you connect with all colors. Although black is technically the absence of color in contrast with white being all colors, if I’m not mistaken, and given this is Zack that might be relevant.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hey, so remember Forge? The big hulking spirit that was going to be super important to Doorman's plans? He was looking for the angel because he wanted to redeem himself or whatever. Forge's currently inside Johnny. Odds are pretty great Johnny's gonna end up as Angel's apprentice.

Angel's wondering how the death cult found out he's trying to recruit Forge. From the Stephen chapter we know the fortune teller lady is not only a member of the death cult, her building's also right next to Angel's shop.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Pants Donkey posted:

Zack has said that the black/white color dealy with be explained Soon. Namely, why Ángel can switch and why the Angel has white (without being a wight, maybe).

They also confirmed that Cherub’s color is pale yellow, so presumably someone in this crew can change energy colors or having white energy lets you connect with all colors. Although black is technically the absence of color in contrast with white being all colors, if I’m not mistaken, and given this is Zack that might be relevant.

I've been thinking that if you shattered a Wight, it would probably break into spirits of each constituent colour. This might be what happened with the Sphinxes, and if so, there are probably a fair few more sphinxes out there. It's entirely possible that you could synthesise white spectral energy by simply mixing all colours together, which might be why Angel has so much haunted junk, so he can draw on all of the colours and bring them together.

And yeah, if white acts as all colours, white spirits are universal receivers, as we know, but white spectrals like Penny are universal donors, which is probably one reason why she has to keep it secret.

Forge's spirit colour is also grey, and I have no idea how that factors into colour theory things.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
it could just be 3 if it follows the RGB model

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kyte posted:

it could just be 3 if it follows the RGB model

Sphinxes are Red/Blue/Yellow and presumably Black that we know of, so it either follows the colours of paint, not light, or something else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Forge's spirit colour is also grey, and I have no idea how that factors into colour theory things.

... I think I made a connection.

There's an unusual amount of attention on the center panel here. We're meant to notice the spiky ridges on June's hand, but I always thought it was interesting, the suddenly-glowing cigarette and the highlighted gray smoke: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-112
Max's mother died in a fire: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-2
Forge has some interesting words to say about weighing "3, 2, one life against the world", and talks about "burning the present for the future" and discovering only ash: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-89

Was Forge June's spirit? The metalworking connects up, the fire/smoke connects up, the gray color connects up. Did Forge kill June Puckett in a bid for freedom? (If this is the case, Mr. Spender warning Max that the Scrapdragon could kill him, becomes an ironic echo.)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Sphinxes are Red/Blue/Yellow and presumably Black that we know of, so it either follows the colours of paint, not light, or something else.

There was a thing about Mina's color being some sort of green. And the train was also green but a different enough sort of green to count as a separate color. So while she could use the lantern, it took her a lot of effort.

So presumably there's a lot of colors available beyond what we've seen. With white and black seemingly to be the special ones.

If additive/subtractive models of color actually matters to the plot somehow, It's still likely based on light (additive color) though and not paint. Because white in paint is an absence of pigment, but white in light is the presence of every color. So for Penny to be a universal donor, it makes sense for it to be "light" based since her white energy would provide any needed color for a spirit. That's assuming that distinction matters at all anyways.

Though how black plays into this is less certain. Though with Angel it seems there could be something special about it despite boss leader claiming earlier that it was a pretty common and ordinary color. But again that might just be a special talent of his because he is an exceptional spectral. So either case could be true.

SKULL.GIF posted:

... I think I made a connection.

Was Forge June's spirit? The metalworking connects up, the fire/smoke connects up, the gray color connects up.

Seems possible. Though I think if Forge was involved with her death, there's probably going to be a more important reason than Forge was trying to escape or something. And also considering the side he's allied with now, he presumably cares about the town to some extent. So he was more likely an ally of hers than an enemy she was trying to hold back if he was her spirit. Though it does make it more likely that he knows the circumstances of her death at least. And he still might have been involved, perhaps it was a decision they made together for some reason for all we know.

It'll be interesting to see how he responds to Max.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 22, 2023

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Running with Angel's theme, it could be that black spectral energy is malleable, and with enough training can be shifted to other colours with concentration? It's nothing, a void, none of the colours, but that means it could become any of the colours. It's pure potential. Cherub's spectral energy isn't black, but he manages Spirit Fusion with her; clearly part of his training is a way way way more advanced form of what Mina was trying to do with adapting to the train. His sermons to Penny about adaptability and mimicry and true mastery through discipline would fit.

Perhaps coloured spectral energy can only be shifted along the spectrum, green into teal as an example, and the further you get from "base" the harder it is, but black is functionally equidistant from all of them, and can become any of them. Or with enough focus, all of them, as I suspect Angel is doing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hell, not only that, but Penny's spirit powers are adaptability made manifest. She's almost literally X-Men's Darwin. And I do like the idea of how the Guerra family is dealing with various ways to use spectral energy. Grandpa is all about the pure power of spectral energy. Using it to brute-force whatever his aims are upon his targets. Meanwhile, Angel is using it to adapt to any situation. Almost completely opposite uses for the same stuff. I wonder how Isabel will end up utilizing that energy as she comes into her own?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Not gonna lie, I'd love to buy that "4 Humors" shirt.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess Davy isn’t all that old if he was still human/alive fighting with Grandpa?

Fake Pirate

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
So if Davy split the Sphinx I guess Cody inherited that ability. Since he split Hijack in a similar fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kyte posted:

So if Davy split the Sphinx I guess Cody inherited that ability. Since he split Hijack in a similar fashion.

Cody used Davy's hook uh sword thing. So it might still be an application of Davy's power.