Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I know by now it's barely relevant to video game hoaxes and urban legends, or to video game creepypastas, but something tells me you guys are gonna be happy to see this.

https://twitter.com/cosbydaf/status/1640410671476260866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... what the gently caress? When was the last time that series updated?

Edit: Huh, so its a new... I guess retelling of the Godzilla creepypasta? Huh, well, I guess I'll give it a go. It just started 4 days ago too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Randalor posted:

... what the gently caress? When was the last time that series updated?

Edit: Huh, so its a new... I guess retelling of the Godzilla creepypasta? Huh, well, I guess I'll give it a go. It just started 4 days ago too.

chapter 5 is from 2016, but the replay specific site has mar 23 as all the dates

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

chapter 5 is from 2016, but the replay specific site has mar 23 as all the dates

Oh so it just a continuation of the one that was... what the gently caress? How was it 7 years ago now?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Randalor posted:

Oh so it just a continuation of the one that was... what the gently caress? How was it 7 years ago now?

Still the best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Randalor posted:

Wow, it was that recent? Wild

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

love the middle aged time perceptions posts itt, making me feel less alone when I think 'wait what 2016 was a while ago?' and of course it was, my friends adult sons and daughters were kids back then

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yeah that obit confused the hell out of me. I don't know if anyone has a theory to put it all together but it seems like the .pk3 was building itself, and that Steve (the polisher) would have vivid dreams and the dreams would end up in the map without his knowledge somehow. So did the game post itself after the tragedy of Eric and Steve's death? Or is Steve a ghost? But his journal describes him going to work and interacting with Eric's parents after his death. Is this an alternate Steve and Eric, related to the other Steve that he sees winking to him in his mirror?

Absolutely loved this experience and I'm still happy and satisfied with things remaining not completely explained but drat is this intriguing and I'd love to hear something that would make it "make sense".

Coming back to this, the doomworld thread is still going on with theories that seem to be chipping away at some of the mystery. The only thing that seems concrete is that there is some gender identity stuff going on, what with the many bathrooms and the locker room being oppressive and dangerous focal points, plus the fact that the men's room in the airport has one single toilet full of blood and the women's room turns into a bloody mess that grants you pills and then magically becomes a men's room.

Main theories seem to be:
- The whole game, especially the mirror reality and actual reality, are thoughts of what could have been if Steven and Tom had actually gotten together (one instance being that they die together).
- Steve and Tom were together and Tom died in a housefire, and Steve (who may also have died or was in a coma or some poo poo) channeled his grief into making up a story that fixed things, where fact and fiction gets jumbled, hence why the house fire in the journal is crossed out.
- Tom is trans and the A in the S+A hearts is either his dead name, or his new name and Tom is the dead name.
- Steve and Tom are the same person, which broadens the theme of gender identity into identity in general
- Some mixture of the above
- A ghost did it

There is also some childhood trauma that doesn't really line up with other stuff, like whatever the Shrek daycare means, and the two sides of the brutalist house that probably represent the POV of a child (rooms are huge, dog is giant and vicious) vs an adult (dog and the scale of the room are normal).

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Sometimes a Shrek is just a Shrek.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Friend posted:

There is also some childhood trauma that doesn't really line up with other stuff, like whatever the Shrek daycare means, and the two sides of the brutalist house that probably represent the POV of a child (rooms are huge, dog is giant and vicious) vs an adult (dog and the scale of the room are normal).

Shrek is an easy one. Ogres have layers, much like onions, parfaits, and the .wad. His sudden, jarring inclusion is a reminder to the players that there are layers to what they're consuming, and that understanding everything in a superficial way will prevent them from understanding what they're experiencing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
We are not meant to play MyHouse.wad; we are meant to work it like a baker works dough, kneading and folding its layers on themselves over and over until it reveals its secrets to us. As Shrek said, "play time is ogre."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What was up with the ".wad" file inside the Myhouse package? Since the actual "level" is the .pk3 I never bothered loading it.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Isn’t it that one of them doesn’t work as well for some arcane reason only known to doom freaks?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Nah, the wad is tiny compared to the full package.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The wad file is the normal, "intended" wad that doesn't have all the weird poo poo. The pk3 is the file that "wasn't supposed to be posted."

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Friend posted:

A lot of the stuff in the wad, down to its opening conceit of a 'myhouse' newbie wad from the 90's, is very referential to doom modding history. Theres other stuff like how d_running playing at first makes you eye-roll like every single-level wad ever that doesn't bother to put in music, or how seeing underhalls is normally your cue to hit escape and quit, the level starting out with deliberate older mapping techniques, etc. There was a really good post in the original thread of someone discussion how essential the "doom-ness" of it is really to its core.

I think shrek is not just a sort of "creepy thing of childhood" element to go with the themes of a child and the daycare center, but its simultaneously a reference to another doom wad trend of the 90's: Badly drawn funny monsters. Your simpsons doom, barney doom, muppet characters, looney tunes, and in this case Shrek.

ymgve posted:

What was up with the ".wad" file inside the Myhouse package? Since the actual "level" is the .pk3 I never bothered loading it.

If you read through the journal at the end the writer talks about being unable to stop the corrupted wad (the pk3) from uploading itself, and trying to delete and just have the .wad (the supposed real cleaned up wad), so the inclusion of the .wad version seems to be there for narrative reasons (and I suspect also to troll people who just play that one and get confused why its just a house wad that people keep talking about).

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

A lot of the stuff in the wad, down to its opening conceit of a 'myhouse' newbie wad from the 90's, is very referential to doom modding history. Theres other stuff like how d_running playing at first makes you eye-roll like every single-level wad ever that doesn't bother to put in music, or how seeing underhalls is normally your cue to hit escape and quit, the level starting out with deliberate older mapping techniques, etc. There was a really good post in the original thread of someone discussion how essential the "doom-ness" of it is really to its core.

I think shrek is not just a sort of "creepy thing of childhood" element to go with the themes of a child and the daycare center, but its simultaneously a reference to another doom wad trend of the 90's: Badly drawn funny monsters. Your simpsons doom, barney doom, muppet characters, looney tunes, and in this case Shrek.

There is even, in-fact, a specifically infamous Shrek wad featured in an old Vinesauce video, where a single unanimated png of Shrek crudely replaces the Cyberdemon. The drawing of Shrek in the daycare happens to be based on the exact same piece of key art of Shrek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Ag1s_9oXw&t=280s

Potentially just a coincidence, but it's the connection I immediately made when playing the map.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Power Pak released a video about MyHouse.wad, which might very well be my favorite video on 'Weird Internet Art' I've ever seen. Worth watching even, or perhaps especially if you haven't been following it, since he goes through effort to explain and present the map as it wants to be presented, going through in the way the author likely intended people to interact with it, rather than as some external commentator. He avoids editorializing too far, too; he puts forward his own theory, but doesn't treat it as the only one and keeps it mostly out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAo54DHDY0

It's very much a Doom map made for people who know Doom maps, it's techically extremely impressive in ways that don't come through if you aren't familiar.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 16, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The attention to detail in that level is seriously amazing, especially the small things you might never even notice consciously like the player weapon frames of animation increasing for seemingly no reason after entering the second version of the house. I think the level is loading new mods in on-the-fly to facilitate the gameplay changes?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mercury_Storm posted:

The attention to detail in that level is seriously amazing, especially the small things you might never even notice consciously like the player weapon frames of animation increasing for seemingly no reason after entering the second version of the house. I think the level is loading new mods in on-the-fly to facilitate the gameplay changes?

David Newton did a rather comprehensive technical explanation that I enjoyed. I'd never heard of his channel before but I hope he does more technical deep dives like this!

An Actual Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrELyz0KZM

saw the walkthrough was posted, but made a video anyway. All my commentary is in youtube subtitles, so make sure to turn those on. hope this helps!

Also this is a fantastic walkthrough video, thank you for it. I got lost in the brutalist areas and ran out of patience for the wad.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

bbcisdabomb posted:

David Newton did a rather comprehensive technical explanation that I enjoyed. I'd never heard of his channel before but I hope he does more technical deep dives like this!

Holy poo poo the map of the Underhalls (which you can only get to as a punishment for cheating), from those analysis videos:

Reminds me of some of the insane maps from the Wizardry games, especially the 4th one where you play as the final boss from the first game. The big secrets in that one are at urban legend level, and even getting out of the first room of the game is a meta-game puzzle.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 17, 2023

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

my friend I used to play doom custom maps with back in the day is streaming while he does a completely blind play through. it’s been amazing. seriously one of the coolest loving things ever.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

An Actual Princess posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtrELyz0KZM

saw the walkthrough was posted, but made a video anyway. All my commentary is in youtube subtitles, so make sure to turn those on. hope this helps!

Fun to watch, good video.

but also lol youtube you can't do anything right :allears:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

A thread https://twitter.com/AjMurray21/status/1662579455561289731?t=5_NBwGhNvt7NY-NLLfPYaA&s=19

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

These were great, thanks!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

probably the spookiest thing in that thread is seeing the Xbox referred to as a “retro” console. How can something that came out when I was a kid be retro??

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I for one appreciated that it's largely actual real things and not just "I edited some crap footage of a DS game to add a jumpscare". How the hell the Scooby Doo one got in there is a mystery, what were they thinking

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Zamujasa posted:

I for one appreciated that it's largely actual real things and not just "I edited some crap footage of a DS game to add a jumpscare". How the hell the Scooby Doo one got in there is a mystery, what were they thinking

Cheap cash-in games and kid-friendly properties both have occasional stories of people getting creatively frustrated and just writing/drawing something to let off some steam (that Racing with Ryan one is clearly an example).

I'd say the question here isn't how it got in there, but how it stayed in there, that one's not cut or inaccessible content.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is there a good writeup of PT anywhere? That pause screen thing was great, and I've always heard of the game in passing, but don't know all that much about it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

probably the spookiest thing in that thread is seeing the Xbox referred to as a “retro” console. How can something that came out when I was a kid be retro??

I feel the same way about the Atari 2600.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The PS2 one being considered spooky is real weird to me

Edit: Eternal Darkness sanity effects being mentioned like they're some surprise and not the actual marketing point of the game lol how old is the OP

Double edit: 22, okay that makes sense

Len fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 2, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Edit: Eternal Darkness sanity effects being mentioned like they're some surprise and not the actual marketing point of the game lol how old is the OP

Soon youtube historians will unironically discover gamecube games, and write 50 minute videos about how this was where creepypastas came from. They escaped the game after some sort of demon made ED. And Sonic.exe was a virus the company accidentally got from a phishing email, which infected the dev copies of Sonic Mega Collection on gamecube. It spread through the ethernet adapters everyone had in their gamecubes. They're all removed now, because of the horror! Or so the archeologists theorize.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
.hack was a true story

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Hrist posted:

Soon youtube historians will unironically discover gamecube games, and write 50 minute videos about how this was where creepypastas came from. They escaped the game after some sort of demon made ED. And Sonic.exe was a virus the company accidentally got from a phishing email, which infected the dev copies of Sonic Mega Collection on gamecube. It spread through the ethernet adapters everyone had in their gamecubes. They're all removed now, because of the horror! Or so the archeologists theorize.

little do they know creepypasta actually spawned from Robodemons for the NES

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Len posted:

The PS2 one being considered spooky is real weird to me

yeah I didn’t get the ps2 one at all. because it was red and threatening according to the replies. the rest of the thread was better.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

yeah I didn’t get the ps2 one at all. because it was red and threatening according to the replies. the rest of the thread was better.

It's a weak start, and it loses something without the sound (which is at least a little haunting), but I can stand by that one feeling pretty off-putting when you do it first time as a kid. It really made me feel like I did something wrong. (Which, given the error that caused it, I might've)

It's one of those things where as an adult I have no particularly strong response to either of them at all, but as a kid who's not expecting it it's terrifying in a weird way. It's in the same box for me as, weirdly, the guards in Oblivion; completely tame to an adult, but that voice actor nailed the tone of 'angry dad/teacher/other male authority figure about to lay down a punishment', and that is a very specific kind of jumpscare for when one suddenly finds you out of nowhere.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 3, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
the first time I ever got the red one I was up at like 1am with the lights off and high school me felt like he'd summoned a demon with my PS2.

so, like, I kinda get it.

LvK fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 3, 2023

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

https://twitter.com/AjMurray21/status/1662879416022605825

This one is pretty good, highlight of the thread for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Calling's thing is actually a pretty neat gimmick. Basially the game has this whole system in place for when your chaarcter(s) encounter ghosts. But this one in particular never sets anything off. So the idea is eventually you get a number of letters directly from this ghost on your Wii. And after a specific one, in the game she will show up on the start screen. And thne she just never shows up again. And back o nthe Wii messages thing, you'll have another new letter. And it basically says she's happy she finally got to meet you.

The reason no in-game character reacts to her, and none of the mechanics function with her, is that she is only showing herself to the player directly. And then after she gets to meet you face to face like that, she just goes away. She got what she wanted and leaves you alone.