Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Benedict Cumberfox

🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I have the blue version of that mouse without the side button that I still use to this day. It's the oldest component in my PC setup, but I love it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seltzer posted:

Gyro and haptics are gimmicks

dumbass

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I can forgive these terrible takes on Gyro and Haptics because it means you haven't played much on PS5.

If you have and still think gyro and haptics are gimmicks then you deserve to play all games on an N64 controller with NO RUMBLE PAK

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I can forgive these terrible takes on Gyro and Haptics because it means you haven't played much on PS5.

If you have and still think gyro and haptics are gimmicks then you deserve to play all games on an N64 controller with NO RUMBLE PAK

I've used the gyro on switch it's a good option to have but I personally don't care for it in any application

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Seltzer posted:

I've used the gyro on switch it's a good option to have but I personally don't care for it in any application

It’s perfect for fine-tuning your aim in 3rd person action games. This option alone pushes me towards ps5 versions, even if I miss out on the sweet quick resume :unsmith:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Don't care for gyro much but I dig haptics.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't really care for gyro. Haptics are fine but honestly I could take or leave it. Both controllers are comfortable to me but I like how much more weight the Xbox controllers seem to have. When I go back to my PS4 it's like holding a little baby controller.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂

wild for elon musk to be posting on a website with so much trans representation

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Professor Beetus posted:

wild for elon musk to be posting on a website with so much trans representation

lmao

Gyro is great, haptics are too if implemented properly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Haptic rumble is cool. Haptic triggers sound cool until you actually try to use them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Rumble has been a thing for so long that the only time I notice it is if I set the controller down on my desk during a cutscene. BBBBBRRRRRRRRRR "oh guess this cutscene has rumble in it"

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

If haptic triggers is the thing that makes the triggers harder to push in the further you press them, then I hate it.

My first Android phone did that bullshit haptic feedback whenever you touched the screen, first thing I turned off.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Sywert of Thieves posted:

If haptic triggers is the thing that makes the triggers harder to push in the further you press them, then I hate it.

My first Android phone did that bullshit haptic feedback whenever you touched the screen, first thing I turned off.

Yeah, I turned that off. All it's going to do is give me wrist strain or something. The haptic stuff is cool when used well like in astro bot.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I’m still using the same Microsoft mouse I bought in like 2004. It looks pretty silly plugged into a MacBook Pro, but gently caress it, it owns

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kevyn posted:

I’m still using the same Microsoft mouse I bought in like 2004. It looks pretty silly plugged into a MacBook Pro, but gently caress it, it owns

Post the decades worth mouse goop

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I was watching that (amazing) Psychonauts 2 documentary and one of the programmers was using this mouse still.

Stone cold classic

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

If I was Phil Spencer, I would hold a survey to figure out which games to make with the 66 billion dollars that just opened up. Microsoft was going to throw it away on a bad investment anyways, might as well spend it on a bad investment to get games that your loyal audience actually wants.

Sounds like hiring. Thats bad. No, we must spend the 69 billion on a merger so it results in net firings, which are good.
-2023 money guy

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

yes! gently caress yes dude!!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sometimes I think I don't need rumble until my controller batteries need to be changed, then the lack of rumble just feels off. Shooting a gun without rumble feels like I'm watching someone else play the game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Condom gaming

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Xbox: Xbox

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Condom gaming

This is my gaming channel on YouTube please remember to like and subscribe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, haptic triggers sucks and feels awful for gaming. I always turn it off. All the feature does is it makes the game more challenging due to the gigantic input delay it causes, and makes the game significantly less accessible.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Haptic analogue sticks plz

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, haptic triggers sucks and feels awful for gaming. I always turn it off. All the feature does is it makes the game more challenging due to the gigantic input delay it causes, and makes the game significantly less accessible.

I don’t get this at all. The only reasonable counter I’ve heard against trigger haptics is the delay in pulling a trigger in an online pvp game. Okay, disable it for pvp. The majority of these implementations are for single player games and allow for physical tactile interactions that change depending on the weapon selected, or even provide better real time feedback on your performance a la rumbling when your car hits the dirt or a corner.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I get controller rumble for racing games/simulators, but it's it happens every time a plane lands on the game, is just annoying.

Surely haptics have their place somewhere in games. :shrug:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I get controller rumble for racing games/simulators, but it's it happens every time a plane lands on the game, is just annoying.

Surely haptics have their place somewhere in games. :shrug:

In a trash can, hidden behind a gigantic ps5.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Haptic analogue sticks plz

I too have very fond memories of the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 demo kiosk at CompUSA

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The only time I ever played Quantum Break was around 2016 my at the time wife's little brother who's disabled had issues with the final boss. I don't remember a ton other than it took me a few times to learn the controls and beat it for him. I guess I'll go ahead and give the game a try now.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Haptics seem fine in theory but are probably at the bottom of the barrel in terms of various improvements or changes I would want to the Xbox controller (or ps) because it takes more skill and effort than most devs seem to have to push the use into net beneficial for a given game.

Astro Bot makes good use of them. Demon Souls use made the game worse. Most games are a wash. I'd rather money be dumped into figuring out how to make a thumb ball work in a controller.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am perfectly happy with the Xbox Series X controller as is. It's a great gamepad. Right now all I want is that Starfield special edition controller.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The haptics for opening the chain gates in Demon's Souls felt cool.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I know the quality control is bad but if you can get lucky and find a non borked elite 2 controller, that is the best controller I've ever used. Heavy, has paddles, great battery, wireless, it has it all. I really hope they announce a version 3 sometime soon.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’ve been using an offbrand elite controller I got on clearance for 25 dollars. PowerA maybe? Great for the price !

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
when starfield

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Zachack posted:

Haptics seem fine in theory but are probably at the bottom of the barrel in terms of various improvements or changes I would want to the Xbox controller (or ps) because it takes more skill and effort than most devs seem to have to push the use into net beneficial for a given game.

Astro Bot makes good use of them. Demon Souls use made the game worse. Most games are a wash. I'd rather money be dumped into figuring out how to make a thumb ball work in a controller.

I don’t think your average gamer really considers this but haptics could prove very useful/valuable as an accessibility tool. A fine-grained control over how your input device communicates information could have pretty wild ramifications. Sony’s kinda taking the bullet for this facet of controllers, but I’m sure in some time it’ll trickle into other consoles, the way rumble overall has grown in quality. Low key one of the coolest little things about the Switch Pro controller.

But yeah, that could be a whole new vector for helping deaf and/or blind players receive information that would be delivered, typically, only visually.

Come to think of it RDR2 rumbles the controller when you walk past lootable stuff, so for instance imagine varying patterns/intensities that could convey either varying types of items, cover to slide into, a crosshair passing over a viable target in a shooter, lots of interesting applications for it if people are creative and willing to experiment/have some imagination.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Tankbuster posted:

when starfield

whenever you want, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tankbuster posted:

when starfield

Showcase in June, game in September. If you believe TODD HOWARD.