Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

TheKingofSprings posted:

She tried to stab Saitama with a box cutter like 6 months go

God forbid a woman do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ah I see, enemy of humanity: Flashy Flash

The first time is understandable. The OPM world is full of human shaped monsters.

The second time is more attempted murder than we've seen out of Psychos.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Everybody gets one a couple

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Who amongst us has not tried to murder someone out of morbid curiosity to see if they could dodge our attacks or shrug off our overwhelming power?

Prowler
May 24, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Ah I see, enemy of humanity: Flashy Flash

The first time is understandable. The OPM world is full of human shaped monsters.

I love how this internal monologue is going on in real time and Saitama is seeing Flashy change expression a dozen times while ignoring his questions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Murder is cool

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

You couldn't be more wrong about this!

...it was one month ago

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
It's like he a moral sense of right and wrong but it is entirely superseded by his narcissism. A threat to his title of fastest may as well be a threat to his life. Fortunately, his hubris gets taken down about 50 notches during this arc when Saitama, Blast, Platinum Sperm, and Garou all end up being faster than him. I think he even comments in a thought bubble that he went from knowing no one faster to knowing like 4 in the same day. Isn't that sort of Garou's crusade in the webcomic, though? That all the S-class are vainglorious/egotistical sociopaths and you should never count on them?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FooF posted:

It's like he a moral sense of right and wrong but it is entirely superseded by his narcissism. A threat to his title of fastest may as well be a threat to his life. Fortunately, his hubris gets taken down about 50 notches during this arc when Saitama, Blast, Platinum Sperm, and Garou all end up being faster than him. I think he even comments in a thought bubble that he went from knowing no one faster to knowing like 4 in the same day. Isn't that sort of Garou's crusade in the webcomic, though? That all the S-class are vainglorious/egotistical sociopaths and you should never count on them?

No, for Garou its all heros, the S-class are just paragons of that.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No, for Garou its all heros, the S-class are just paragons of that.

This is my read as well. Among professional heroes, there are VERY few who have the qualities of true heroism. Nearly everyone else is obsessed with image, status, or serving themselves first. Garou puts it well in his fight against Darkshine, that they're all hypocritical, flawed individuals just "playing" hero.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Bucswabe posted:

This is my read as well. Among professional heroes, there are VERY few who have the qualities of true heroism. Nearly everyone else is obsessed with image, status, or serving themselves first. Garou puts it well in his fight against Darkshine, that they're all hypocritical, flawed individuals just "playing" hero.

Eh, Garou holds heroes to impossibly high standards, and if they're playing hero then he's just as much playing monster.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
He's the Stain (MHA) of OPM?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Did Stain appear first? I almost think the original version could have come first. Maybe not though.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

thechosenone posted:

Did Stain appear first? I almost think the original version could have come first. Maybe not though.

OPM webcomic predates MHA by 5 years and the manga predates MHA by 2 years. I don't know what date Garou was introduced but I'm going to guess OPM did it first.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So then Stain is the Garou of MHA.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you're not perfect I'll kill you!
- Mr.Stain

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

thechosenone posted:

So then Stain is the Garou of MHA.

The inferior copy too :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RareAcumen posted:

Flashy did the same thing to Blast when he showed up a few chapters later. He's just a "murder anything as fast as I am" enthusiast

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Even among the S class there's a few taking things seriously like Pig God too. Like maybe he's lazier off screen but he's always seemed unusually professional compared to his peers whenever we actually see him.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

A Sometimes Food posted:

Even among the S class there's a few taking things seriously like Pig God too. Like maybe he's lazier off screen but he's always seemed unusually professional compared to his peers whenever we actually see him.

He's the complete opposite of a lot of heroes who have the looks and power, but a terrible attitude. Pig God looks like a big greedy slob, but is actually selfless, practical and kind.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Modern shounen Anti Heroes might as well all just be Vegeta, who I'm sure could be modeled after some character from a 60s/70s series I'm unaware of. shounen is not exactly doing new things, just using the familiar things in hopefully fun and cool ways. OPM regularly subverts those things which makes it so good.

Who came first? hardly matters since they're all cribbing from somewhere else no matter what.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bucswabe posted:

The S Class heroes now, except for the newly inducted, are not paragons of heros. AT ALL. They were made S Class because the government needed heroes and fast. They have very horrible personalities and habits and are not to be used as an example of what a hero should be.

Mask took it up on himself to make sure anyone that ranks up now to have qualities to be admired by the public such as what he did with Genos .

Mask would def not let people like Pig God, Puri Puri Prisoner, or Tornado of Terror into S Class but they were exceptions because the government, in the past, needed strong super powers to answer the emergencies back then.

edit: I am thinking the "playing" hero is simpler than just image control.

I think someone with extraordinary powers is a "hero". Someone that just throws a bike or rap to get into a "battle trance" is not a "hero" to Garou. The latter can be brave and show signs of heroism but are not real "heros".

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 28, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They're not really heroes, they're more like a defense force, mercenaries

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I would argue that Pig God, in particular, DOES represent most of the qualities that ONE points to for "what makes a true hero". He seems genuinely without ego, and earnestly willing to sacrifice everything to help others. He even shows willingness to collaborate with others (e.g., Tank Top) which is pretty rare among the S Class

Only thing he's missing, is he, arguably, doesn't necessarily inspire hope/heroics in others, which seems to be the last major ingredient.

BennyProfane
Apr 19, 2023

by vyelkin
S class as a whole isn't good or bad, admirable or despicable, they are simply crazy. I can't remember what chapter that was in but it was early.

Saitama will never be S class, he's too normal.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Okay, who's been talking poo poo about my boy Pig God? :mad:

ffs, next thing you know this thread's gonna full of slander against Watchdog Man.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Child Emperor, Metal Bat, Watchdog Man, and Pig God are all doing their best

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Metal Bat is legit as hell. He has all the traits of a usual anime hero, minus the talking. Which I appreciate. I do love the running gag of *everyone* slowly getting more and more annoyed at monologues and long explanations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

syntaxfunction posted:

Metal Bat is legit as hell. He has all the traits of a usual anime hero, minus the talking. Which I appreciate. I do love the running gag of *everyone* slowly getting more and more annoyed at monologues and long explanations.

He talks about as much as a Yusuke, who he clearly takes some cues from

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

He talks about as much as a Yusuke, who he clearly takes some cues from

The only Yusuke I know was watching a friend play Persona 5. Google tells me there's an anime guy that looks kind of like him which makes more sense.

I just like Metal Bat, he's neat.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

syntaxfunction posted:

The only Yusuke I know was watching a friend play Persona 5. Google tells me there's an anime guy that looks kind of like him which makes more sense.

I just like Metal Bat, he's neat.

Yusuke Urameshi from Yuyu Hakusho was a Shonen protagonist who really codified the Japanese heroic high-school delinquent archetype of which Metal Bat is an instance of. If you like Metal Bat, you might get something out of Yuyu Hakusho.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
i cant believe we're getting to the age where people don't know yu yu hakusho

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The only animes I know are Trigun (I liked it), My Hero Academia (my girl makes me watch it), Attack on Titan (my ex loved it, it is awful), and bits and pieces of anime I have seen here and there. I am not really an anime person :shobon:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gologle posted:

i cant believe we're getting to the age where people don't know yu yu hakusho

I work at a book store and a young woman asked me for classic manga recommendations… nothing too old, she said, like Dragon Ball Z, but around the age of Full Metal Alchemist

I turned to dust on the spot

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I work at a book store and a young woman asked me for classic manga recommendations… nothing too old, she said, like Dragon Ball Z, but around the age of Full Metal Alchemist

I turned to dust on the spot

That feels like a kinda narrow window, considering there's only six years between the end of Dragon Ball and the beginning of FMA, especially since Attack on Titan started while Fullmetal Alchemist was still running, and its anime still isn't quite finished.

Heck, One Piece started before FMA, and it's still going steady.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

syntaxfunction posted:

The only animes I know are Trigun (I liked it), My Hero Academia (my girl makes me watch it), Attack on Titan (my ex loved it, it is awful), and bits and pieces of anime I have seen here and there. I am not really an anime person :shobon:

Have you heard of One Punch-Man? It's pretty good.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I heard it was good with punching and also there's a weeb in it who is actually cool and awesome even tho he's not the main guy. It sounds good, should I watch it y/n?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho is good, so is Hunter x Hunter (same author as YYH), also if you haven't seen Mob Psycho you should watch that too (same author as OPM)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

syntaxfunction posted:

I heard it was good with punching and also there's a weeb in it who is actually cool and awesome even tho he's not the main guy. It sounds good, should I watch it y/n?

One Punch Man's first season is really good and fun.

Season two not so much, but that one's up to personal choice.

You should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

go watch all of mob psycho right now goddamn