Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I know he wanted to direct Blood Meridian for awhile, but I always thought Tommy Lee Jones would be good for it

that movie The Homesman was pretty great counterfeit McCarthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I know he wanted to direct Blood Meridian for awhile, but I always thought Tommy Lee Jones would be good for it

Under Siege-era Tommy Lee Jones as Glanton.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Season 1 of venture bros ain't great but season 2 onwards is a lot better.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
jared leto as the judge

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

happy 15th birthday to portishead's best album

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1652011631721758726

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

https://www.avclub.com/severance-season-2-delays-showrunners-fight-report-1850386615

lol holy poo poo, i maybe expected severance to hit rewrite hell because of the complicated plot but $20m/episode is insane

loving lmfao rip severance

I knew they were going to poo poo the bed westeorld style

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

it's a good album but goddamn what poo poo artwork.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
trip hop hasn't aged well imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

tristeham posted:

it wasn’t good at the time imo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
triphop became vaporwave

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

tristeham posted:

that album isn’t trip hop

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Evil Dead Rise didn't go hard enough but it was still fun.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

https://www.avclub.com/severance-season-2-delays-showrunners-fight-report-1850386615

lol holy poo poo, i maybe expected severance to hit rewrite hell because of the complicated plot but $20m/episode is insane

how the gently caress, it's not like they have special effects or anything

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
"we're actually really slow on purpose" is excellent spin; well done, mr zoolander

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Massive Attack - Mezzanine is one of the greatest records ever.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

uber_stoat posted:

you've laid a trap

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

Protection is their best song and by virtue ought to be their best album
if not for the fact that Mezzanine is so loving good end to end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

loving lmfao rip severance

I knew they were going to poo poo the bed westeorld style

it's so disappointing ugh

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

how the gently caress, it's not like they have special effects or anything

Taking three weeks per episode is very expensive and if they're block shooting (multiple episodes over one location) like last time, they'll likely do reshoots. stiller is a very very exacting director who overshoots everything and that's expensive

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/rmcelhenney/status/1652098204232732672

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
does anyone here use MUBI? is it worth the price?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

it's so disappointing ugh
lol if we get even a westworld season-2 tier fall from grace, i'll be surprised if that's the worst it gets

anyways there's one-two interesting way they could take the plot, and many many insanely convoluted stupid ways.

"extensive script rewrites" at the last minute is giving me big lost/bsg/westworld vibes, which is not a good thing if this poo poo wasn't planned out before they even started shooting

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Xaris posted:

"extensive script rewrites" at the last minute is giving me big lost/bsg/westworld vibes, which is not a good thing if this poo poo wasn't planned out before they even started shooting

Isn't one of the Severence showrunners some guy who just wrote the pilot script years ago? Say what you will about those other three shows but at least they were all helmed by people who at least worked in tv writer rooms before.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

trailer park boys? idk theres probably a lot really

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

CPFortest posted:

Isn't one of the Severence showrunners some guy who just wrote the pilot script years ago? Say what you will about those other three shows but at least they were all helmed by people who at least worked in tv writer rooms before.
i dunno, i don't really know any showrunner names or background at all. but still, you think they'd have an overall plot-line and stuff outlined before diving into a ~cerebral thinking-man thriller~ (lol). bad news if not

the an example of a really loving stupid plot-line they can take it is Lumon is a scientology-like cult thats severing people's brains and having them figure out how to compartmentalize and erase memories so they resurrect the Kier Eagan guy by sticking his psyche into everyone's body las plagas style, and something-something about profits: it's evil at face-value.. Or an even stupider way is trying to develop methods to forcefully severe people so they can take them over Westworld-style and control the world. ugh i hope not lol. a more interesting way, if there was actual talent involved to make not suck, would be lumon is actually good or half-good in that it's a sophisticated therapy for people and not actually evil like everyone thinks they are

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i watched the first ep of severance and it didn't grab me at all

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm curious who was responsible for ending the Petey storyline so early. I'm willing to guess that the old head Friedman wanted to string out that mystery for the whole season and Erickson convinced enough people to push ahead with the much larger amount of plot development we got, but it could easily be vice versa.

From Helena's conversation with Old Egan and all the bits with the Congressman, it seems like they're moving in a more culty world domination way but I think they could end up satisfactorily splitting the difference.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

exmarx posted:

i watched the first ep of severance and it didn't grab me at all

haven't seen it cause it sounds silly but it seems a bit crass that the dystopia depicted in the show is pretty much exactly how Apple would want

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm curious who was responsible for ending the Petey storyline so early. I'm willing to guess that the old head Friedman wanted to string out that mystery for the whole season and Erickson convinced enough people to push ahead with the much larger amount of plot development we got, but it could easily be vice versa.

What makes you say they ended that plotline early? Feels like a classic early series death, to motivate the characters and prove to the audience that the show has some teeth.

I.e. is that something that leaked or just speculation?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

tristeham posted:

hey now there's probably a whole shitload of kids getting out of college right now who were conceived to trip hop

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

hey now there's probably a whole shitload of kids getting out of college right now who were conceived to trip hop

trap sprung

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
you can take my sneaker pimps album from my cold, sticky hands

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

What makes you say they ended that plotline early? Feels like a classic early series death, to motivate the characters and prove to the audience that the show has some teeth.

I.e. is that something that leaked or just speculation?

just seemed abrupt, like it was in the pilot and had to be resolved quickly. could've been a red herring for people expecting outie mark and petey to team up though. but a lot of that interaction happened in a way that was detached, like it was either tacked on late in the schedule (because they block shot) or they expected it to be cut and didn't want to rewrite a bunch of characters

only delivering nine episodes of a ten episode order definitely points to a lot of dysfunction at the writer/producer level though

theflyingexecutive has issued a correction as of 08:33 on Apr 29, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

only delivering nine episodes of a ten episode order definitely points to a lot of dysfunction at the writer/producer level though

Yeah, I suspected something had happened here because of the cut episode order. Sounds like a similar thing as what happened with the third season of Succession -- which also had a guest star (Adrian Brody) randomly disappearing partway into the season.

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

severance was great but I kept thinking there’s a real danger of it just becoming endless mystery box poo poo for 5 seasons.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Severance has one, possibly two more good seasons in it. You need to explain what Lumon's whole deal is, and you need to figure out what to do about essentially two people existing in the same body. Attempting to extend things beyond that will just result in the show

Quinch posted:

becoming endless mystery box poo poo for 5 seasons.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Severence already dumpstered all the interesting parts of the show around episode 6 so it really can't get much worse

1stGear posted:

Severance has one, possibly two more good seasons in it. You need to explain what Lumon's whole deal is

I can't stress enough what a terrible idea this would be, which is why they'll definitely do it

Fellatio del Toro posted:

trailer park boys? idk theres probably a lot really

trailer park boys sucks though so that wouldn't make sense

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

1stGear posted:

Severance has one, possibly two more good seasons in it. You need to explain what Lumon's whole deal is, and you need to figure out what to do about essentially two people existing in the same body. Attempting to extend things beyond that will just result in the show

yeah 3 seasons is about what any tv show needs really. I’m hoping they aren’t a cult or planning to take over the world or anything but just boring, run of the mill capitalists trying to make money, to hell with the ethical implications.

the only mystery box show that deserved multiple seasons was raised by wolves, mostly because the main mystery was “what the hell kind of drugs are the writers on?”

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
theirs gonna be a Twisted Metal tv show? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

theirs gonna be a Twisted Metal tv show? lol

it even has a clown. there would be no point without the clown.