Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

AIT is a “devil’s advocate” who highlights unpopular but important opinions and forces us all to reconsider unexamined dogmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

you're a devil's advocate, an important role.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's important to examine your car for dogmas before driving off, they can hide in the engine block for heat in the winter or shelter underneath from heat/rain otherwise.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ait is a fascist

speng31b
May 8, 2010

this guy wants.to have sex with a motor vehicle

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Smythe posted:

he’s trolling and u r being trolled. very easy

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You can add posters to your ignore list.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

genuine question why do you post in this thread? your ideology is completely opposed to this threads and you never post anything meaingful or funny

i think youd be better served by the cum warriors or trump threads

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
LOL

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
soz im not up on the GCW lore.........

FlutieFlake
Nov 5, 2017
https://twitter.com/fjohnboyle/status/1646664276587827200

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

it's a little prayer alcove where you can worship cars and press a button to ask them to show mercy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's the longest beg button I ever seen.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Fitzy Fitz posted:

someone was compensating for something

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

loving these new failed state world updates

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 00:45 on Apr 29, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Its supposed to evoke an exhaust pipe so you can better appreciate the car exhaust your inhaling while waiting to be allowed to cross

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

imagine how nice it would be if all cars were limited to 15mph outside of highways

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

beg button glory hole

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Me in when the truck nutz slap my now broken and leaking skull:

Car works in mysterious ways

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Christ almighty my city does this poo poo too. I think the idea is all roadworks need to include these feature and over a long enough timeline they'll all connect. But in practice it means there's a really nice bike lane that starts and stops in front of the new Walmart.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

cool av posted:

imagine how nice it would be if all cars were limited to 15mph outside of highways

I could race them on my bike more than I already do

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

bro, what's your mb/md ratio (miles biked / miles driven)?

Divide by zero error :smug:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Nice little comic essay about cycling, with some choice anti-car words

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/sep/20/motorists-undercut-any-confidence-you-ever-had-in-the-human-race-new-york-cycling-a-cartoon

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Apr 29, 2023

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
https://i.imgur.com/UQ6ZrCY.gifv

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

McCracAttack posted:

Christ almighty my city does this poo poo too. I think the idea is all roadworks need to include these feature and over a long enough timeline they'll all connect. But in practice it means there's a really nice bike lane that starts and stops in front of the new Walmart.

My city also does this. I literally saw one exactly like that platform without the pedestrian signal dong. Having worked in construction when I was younger, several things tickle me about this. A city engineer drafted the plans for that platform with dimensions of the pad, heights of the curb, descriptions of the non-slip pad, and dimensions of the dong. Then that engineer had another engineer approve the drawings meaning somebody else said "looooks good!" The workers then compacted that itty bitty island of dirt, poured concrete for the pad making sure the dimensions and grade were right, probably used a concrete curb machine to make the edges according to the drawings, and finally backfilled earth behind the curb. Then the folks erecting the street light took the time to get what was likely a custom-made crossing signal dong, install it, and configure the wiring. A signal person then had to configure the timing of the lights and when the signal appears.

So many hands were involved to make that f*** you of a crossing signal.

Edit: typo

RockWhisperer has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Apr 29, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure all the office types figured that the rest of the path will be built eventually and approved it on that basis (it won't though)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

update on this... culver city residents showed up to the vote to remove the street improvements and they will go back to the car-centric infrastructure we had before. We did it, folks!

https://www.foxla.com/news/culver-city-council-votes-eliminate-protected-bike-bus-lanes

Yeah, it is impressive to watch large parts of American actively go in the wrong direction. Portland only had beg buttons in a few areas around downtown, but within months it had put them literally everywhere, including into small residential streets.

I mean, beg buttons are so of whatever in high traffic/built up areas, but did they really need them in residential areas? Also, scramble intersections can be really annoying if not properly done.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Apr 29, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hideous

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is impressive to watch large parts of American actively go in the wrong direction. Portland only had beg buttons in a few areas around downtown, and then within months had put them literally everywhere, including into small residential streets.

I actually like the beg buttons around Portland and will shift my walking/jogging route to cross at them. They’re usually pretty quick and it’s nice to cross busy streets without wondering if drivers are going to stop to let me cross. I get that they’re car centric but I’m not particularly hot on getting smashed by a Tesla so I like them regardless

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I actually like the beg buttons around Portland and will shift my walking/jogging route to cross at them. They’re usually pretty quick and it’s nice to cross busy streets without wondering if drivers are going to stop to let me cross. I get that they’re car centric but I’m not particularly hot on getting smashed by a Tesla so I like them regardless

You can still have protected crossings at intersections without them, it really wasn't a big deal before 2020. Drivers don't really care if you just push a button or not as long as it is red. Beg buttons at mid-block crosswalks are a bit of a different issue, and the only way they can really work.

Stark has a bunch of them, for example, and it isn't really a street that needs them, it isn't a thoroughfare in any real sense. Portland just isn't cut out to be a big city, and you can tell it is really suffering for it. The entire new BRT route was pretty underwhelming. I get it was planned pre-pandemic but it just isn't really what the city needs.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

You can still have protected crossings at intersections without them, it really wasn't a big deal before 2020. Drivers don't really care if you just push a button or not as long as it is red. Beg buttons at mid-block crosswalks are a bit of a different issue, and the only way they can really work.

Stark has a bunch of them, for example, and it isn't really a street that needs them, it isn't a thoroughfare in any real sense. Portland just isn't cut out to be a big city, and you can tell it is really suffering for it. The entire new BRT route was pretty underwhelming. I get it was planned pre-pandemic but it just isn't really what the city needs.

When I lived in kerns I used to cross burnside at 22nd on a daily basis and I can’t tell you the number of times I was almost hit. A woman I knew on a hello/handwave basis (not even by name, just saw her walking around) was killed at that one a few years ago. I eventually changed my route to cross up at 32nd to use the pedestrian signal. Yeah sure stark doesn’t need them, and there’s one up where I live now on 15th and shaver that makes no sense at all. But crossing streets in this town can be dangerous. Idk. They’re imperfect but the thing about Portland is a lot of the main arterial streets (burnside/stark/division/Fremont/etc…) are also just residential/neighborhood streets that people drive way too loving fast on. And when you mix that with the fact that most but not all drivers will stop to let pedestrians cross at unsignaled crossings (whereas in say Atlanta nobody is gonna stop and you just need to find a signaled crossing) is a recipe for bad outcomes

Idk I’m willing to be convinced they’re a bad idea but my experience with them has been positive

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is impressive to watch large parts of America actively go in the wrong direction

This is the defining feature of our current times. In 20 years, when climate change starts to render the country actually unliveable, googling "truck smaller than f350?" in a red state will get you disappeared by the groomer police

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Good friend got hit on her bike yesterday. Broke the bike completely in half. She is in the hospital with three broken ribs. The paramedics say she was extremely lucky given how hard she was hit.

She was one of our small towns biggest cycling advocates and used to be the organizer of the "go by bike week". I'll see her in a couple of days and am going to broach the subject of doing a demonstration in her name for better bike infrastructure and transportation choice. Her story would probably get us good media.

I hate cars

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

:smith: hope she makes a full recovery

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hope your friend makes a full recovery. Sucks :(

No idea when this happened fr but lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Looks like the car decided to lay down in the street and die.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

"yeah, I like country life"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
critical mass ride tonight but its cold and rainy so well see how it goes!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

silicone thrills posted:

Hope your friend makes a full recovery. Sucks :(

No idea when this happened fr but lol

Cars only do this when they're extremely distressed

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

cool how they built the roads assuming they'll get the plot eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

is there an article about this ?