Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Wiltsghost posted:

Going well. It's a shame because the game is actually really fun and a step up from the previous game by quite a bit.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651990800862183426

"A percentage of players has issues because of their suboptimal PC builds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a brief discussion earlier in the week about how to review a game when publishers promise there will be fixes after release. i feel like jedi survivor lays out pretty concretely that you should just review the product as is because publishers straight up lie

Okay...but if I do that then they might not send me any more free codes or invite me to any more launch events.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pretty sure there's no such thing as a processor designed to take advantage of Windows 11 but not 10

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Pretty sure there's no such thing as a processor designed to take advantage of Windows 11 but not 10

they probably mean the newer intel chips which have two different types of core, win11 has some scheduler changes specifically for those

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Steam Thread: It Keeps Happening

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Wiltsghost posted:

Going well. It's a shame because the game is actually really fun and a step up from the previous game by quite a bit.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1651990800862183426

100% is a percentage

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OzFactor posted:

I hear you all like spiders! You should read this really great science fiction novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Time_(novel) (it is extremely good whether or not you like spiders)

Thanks! I was literally thinking of what to pick up to read next and I had this on my Kindle for some time now.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Afterimage devs released a patch which addresses pretty much all the negative feedback from the reviews. I thought things were absolutely fine before the feedback but people who wanted to fast travel more or needed a poo poo ton of potions to beat a boss can now have it.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ZearothK posted:

Thanks! I was literally thinking of what to pick up to read next and I had this on my Kindle for some time now.

There are two more in the same "universe," Children of Ruin and Children of Memory, that are pretty good as well.

I'm in the middle of one of his fantasy books, Guns of the Dawn, which is so far kind of Downton Abbey set under a Magocracy involved in a largescale early-industrial war.

Also anyone preparing to read an Adrian Tchaikovsky book should Be Aware:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

is one of the puyo puyo tetras games significantly better or should I just get the cheaper one?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a brief discussion earlier in the week about how to review a game when publishers promise there will be fixes after release. i feel like jedi survivor lays out pretty concretely that you should just review the product as is because publishers straight up lie

Some reviewers don't seem to care. The IGN review has a paragraph about bad performance and acknowledges that it probably won't get fixed soon:

quote:

Throughout it all, Survivor is a gorgeous game with beautifully detailed environments and characters… and perhaps as a result, not one of the best performing. My PS5 playthrough saw some fairly gnarly slowdowns from the expected 30 frames per second in 4K Quality Mode, especially when fighting around smoke or fog, which made timing by parries and dodges difficult. Disappointingly, even the 1440p Performance Mode isn’t close to holding a locked 60fps. I also saw a few crashes and bugs that forced me to quit and reload my save to progress (though this was before the day one patch). EA has naturally promised more patches will come with improvements on all platforms, but if history is any guide it might take a little while before it’s completely ironed out.

Also:

quote:

A smooth frame rate is certainly important when battling Survivor’s multiple lightsaber-wielding bosses, because there’s no shortage of challenge in learning the timing of parrying their strikes and dodging their unblockable attacks. I must confess: after several hours of banging my head against the brutal final boss I finally resorted to turning the difficulty down a notch to see the ending in time for this review, which hurt my pride because I’d made it to his final phase but couldn’t quite get over the finish line.

There's crashes, big performance spikes, game can't hold a stable framerate which impacts gameplay (to the point that the reviewer had to lower the difficulty on the final boss), it will probably take some time for all this to get patched: 9 out of 10.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

is one of the puyo puyo tetras games significantly better or should I just get the cheaper one?

you should get tetris effect

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Just want to reiterate that Children of Time is a good book worth reading if you haven't yet. I went to Barnes and Nobel looking for the next book in the series. They didn't have it, so I picked up a different book by the same dude, Cage of Souls. It was about a prison in a post-apocalyptic hell world on the edge of mankind's extinction. Dark stuff, I loved it.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I must be one of the lucky ones, I played a few hours of Jedi Survivor last night and had no issues. I've got a 3080ti and was playing at 1440p with everything turned up to the highest except for ray tracing, and it was 60+ FPS the entire time. Very pretty game, too.

The game is really fun. I appreciate the fact that you start with all of the powers from the last game right from the start, including the double jump, which makes the platforming feel much more smooth right from the beginning.

Not trying to sound like an apologist, it's probably worth waiting for a patch since it sounds like so many people have had issues with it, but I'm loving it so far. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze the entire thing in before Zelda launches in a couple weeks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ErrEff posted:

quote:

EA has naturally promised more patches will come with improvements on all platforms, but if history is any guide it might take a little while before it’s completely ironed out.

This always stuck with me and is something I always associate with EA:

Dead Space 3 on PC had a bug where (for some people) a door sound was stuck and would play constantly from every kinesis door. Completely ruined the atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYIYcjbVJFI

The community manager kept placating people for months, then went to "we can't reproduce this", and finally to "no further investigation". People kept begging them to just release a manual patch for affected people that just removes the door sound from the (packed) sound bank, but it took some enterprising modder to actually do the thing that would have taken some dev at EA with access to the source files...what? An hour?

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 28, 2023

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
can anyone recommend a roguelike like enter the gungeon, BoI, hades, or risk of rain 2. a bunch of synergies and items that make the game customizable and repayable?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

atomicrops

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Gunfire reborn

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Monolith

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgO143J-JEQ
Something ironic about turning the most famous procgen/roguelike metroidvania into a traditional handcrafted one.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Vampire Survivors and all its recent clones (20 Minutes to Dawn, Brotato, Boneraiser Minions, Rogue: Genesia) and if you're into card battlers, there's Monster Train and obviously Slay the Spire.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jokymi posted:

I must be one of the lucky ones, I played a few hours of Jedi Survivor last night and had no issues. I've got a 3080ti and was playing at 1440p with everything turned up to the highest except for ray tracing, and it was 60+ FPS the entire time. Very pretty game, too.

The game is really fun. I appreciate the fact that you start with all of the powers from the last game right from the start, including the double jump, which makes the platforming feel much more smooth right from the beginning.

Not trying to sound like an apologist, it's probably worth waiting for a patch since it sounds like so many people have had issues with it, but I'm loving it so far. I'm hoping to be able to squeeze the entire thing in before Zelda launches in a couple weeks.

Good to hear it's playable on PC. Can you share what CPU and RAM you have as well?

I'm on PS5, and my initial experience has been similar. The first 2-3 min of gameplay (not the 10 min of cutscenes/walking sim) was "Hmm, framerate isn't great. Not great, Not terrible". But after that it was very playable, and super fun. The addition of the grapple hook is nice too. Hoping the 3D traversal is fun with it.

Note I did plan to double dip on this game if it was good on both PC and PS5, but right now the PC option is a "nope" from me based on how many people are having issues.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What was the last AAA release on PC that didn't have massive technical issues?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

Spacewar

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

kazil posted:

A recent one was Hi-Fi Rush, though that might not have been a big enough release to classify as AAA (and seems to have been kind of a commercial flop unfortunately). They knew stuttering would be hugely detrimental to the rythm-based gameplay so they made extra sure it wasn't going to exhibit the same hitches present in other recent Unreal Engine titles.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Did RE4 remake have major issues? I didn't have any issues at all in my like 45 hours in it but also didn't for Dead Space and know that had issues.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

(and seems to have been kind of a commercial flop unfortunately)
This turned out to be an unsubstantiated rumour started by a podcast

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
New Humble Bundle out for Striking Soulslikes

$18 for
Sands of Aura
Loot River
Aeterna Noctis
Blade of Darkness
Mortal Shell
Salt and Sanctuary
...and apparently more coming?

There's also a decent one for coop shooters that's been going on as well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

err posted:

can anyone recommend a roguelike like enter the gungeon, BoI, hades, or risk of rain 2. a bunch of synergies and items that make the game customizable and repayable?
Revita! I like all of the games you mentioned and Revita is the one that fits in with them best. It's a game I felt finished with at 50 hours whereas I was finished with the games you mentioned in about 110 hours each (more in isaac's case ofc) so just a warning that it's not quite as robust as the others.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175460/Revita/

And of course, slay the spire, but you know that one I'm sure.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 28, 2023

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

skeletronics posted:

Just want to reiterate that Children of Time is a good book worth reading if you haven't yet. I went to Barnes and Nobel looking for the next book in the series. They didn't have it, so I picked up a different book by the same dude, Cage of Souls. It was about a prison in a post-apocalyptic hell world on the edge of mankind's extinction. Dark stuff, I loved it.

Isn't it implied that its Earth, as the Russian guy had a time machine, not a spaceship.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gamepass is saving me alot of money from buying games that look cool just to be disappointed in them. The Last Case of Benedict Fox is the newest addition to games that look totally my jam but play like rear end.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

GhostDog posted:

"A percentage of players has issues because of their suboptimal PC builds."

lmao yea some seriously petty vibes from that post

OzFactor posted:

I hear you all like spiders! You should read this really great science fiction novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Time_(novel) (it is extremely good whether or not you like spiders)

Absolutely love this book, one of my faves

e] I think there's a series finale coming out this month, too

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgO143J-JEQ
Something ironic about turning the most famous procgen/roguelike metroidvania into a traditional handcrafted one.
finally spelunky is good

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Kragger99 posted:

Good to hear it's playable on PC. Can you share what CPU and RAM you have as well?
I've got a 5800X3D CPU and 16 GB of RAM.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jokymi posted:

For me it was just the first world, once I set foot on the planet that's made out of entirely spiders I've been getting solid 60 fps, with some stuttering when entering large new areas, but I figure that's just loading poo poo. Lots of the steam reviews say the same thing. I wasn't getting uneven performance on the opening world, but I was getting like ~45 FPS. It takes about 2 hours to get through. Also, dunno if that changes on the other planets, so I'm weighing whether to continue until I run into a game ending performance area and get mad or just wait 2 weeks for a patch.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Fatty posted:

Isn't it implied that its Earth, as the Russian guy had a time machine, not a spaceship.

Oh yeah, I definitely thought Cage of Souls was on Earth...I never had any inclination to believe otherwise. Figured it was a different fictional universe than the Children of... books, but now that I think about it, there's no reason, at least in Children of Time, that the Cage of Souls events couldn't have happened on that Earth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

‘Vampire Survivors’ Video Game In Works As Animated Television Series From Story Kitchen

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Soul Glo posted:

you should get tetris effect

not helpful!