Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I always thought pierce was overrated. He didn't do poo poo until he had KG and Ray Allen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That's the team Pierce's Celtics "overcame"

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
2010 was a better roster but uh… yea. Those Cavs rosters were almost inexcusable

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's worse than I remembered. Even the decent players on that roster were washed by that time

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

delonte west is kinda famous

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I wish jae could have just sucked it up, he would have been super valuable to the suns this season

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
To be fair to Pierce, the last gasp of the big 3 Celtics did take the first championship Lebron Heat team to 7.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

mdemone posted:

It's worse than I remembered. Even the decent players on that roster were washed by that time

Big Z actually had a pretty drat good season that year, but it might have been his last (good season).

Also, I love me some Z, but I dunno if he should ever be a team's second best player.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Veryslightlymad posted:

Big Z actually had a pretty drat good season that year, but it might have been his last (good season).

Also, I love me some Z, but I dunno if he should ever be a team's second best player.

Varejao was still passable at that time because he could cut to the bucket and rebound a little. But what a buncha maroons

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

The Maestro posted:

Quote from man not playing all year: “what are you gonna do, not play me?”

Zogo: who had Jae as overrated? I think I did but I can't remember.

I listened to the Lowe Post Podcast and I guess I don't quite understand why the Bucks are OVER FOREVER THE DREAM IS DEAD. They lost a series with their best player hurt and the other team's best player playing maybe the best playoff series in history. They've got some decisions to make, sure, but I don't quite get why they wouldn't feel like they're just fine after a coaching change.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Anthony Edwards shouldn't have done what he did. He also owes them an apology the way you a person would apologize when you back into someone in the grocery store accidentally. That's it.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

OzFactor posted:

I listened to the Lowe Post Podcast and I guess I don't quite understand why the Bucks are OVER FOREVER THE DREAM IS DEAD. They lost a series with their best player hurt and the other team's best player playing maybe the best playoff series in history. They've got some decisions to make, sure, but I don't quite get why they wouldn't feel like they're just fine after a coaching change.

Yeah they'll have to pay the tax but I think mr mass theft haslem can afford it. They need to improve their role players, they need middleton and lopez back at not backbreaking amounts, and I think guys love Giannis enough once they're around him that it won't be too hard

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

OzFactor posted:

It was a complete and utter failure. This was an extraordinary event.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OzFactor posted:

the ring culture narrative is dominating everything

Seems like any time CP3 comes up there's always a comment about his last chance to get a ring to secure his legacy. Talking heads will constantly pontificate on the merits of a player based on how many rings they (might) get. The Jokic MVP debate was like 90% "yeah but he still doesn't have a ring"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Porfiriato posted:

Probably too much optimism on my part, but if this catches on it could be the nail in the coffin for the Bally Sports/regional sports network model.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36310895/suns-mercury-broadcasts-over-air-tv-streaming

Hell yeah.

I did not have cable TV or a TV at all when the Suns went cable only which sucked because I would sometimes listen to their games on a radio I had that picked up TV. At the time I thought it was the dumbest thing and they would lose fans but then everyone else did it too. I hope everyone else does this too (although realistically the teams with billion dollar local TV contracts are not going back to the airwaves anytime soon).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

temple posted:

It was a complete and utter failure. This was an extraordinary event.

I don't think I disagree that it was a failure, I guess I just don't understand how it's a process failure and not just a failure in outcome. Their best player got hurt and they played badly in 4 of 5 games, barely losing the last 2 (where their best player was playing but clearly limited). It is a historic collapse, definitely, but I guess I don't quite get how they're all of the sudden a bad team that needs to blow it up. They need to replace Bud after something this catastrophic, sure, especially when it's capped off by two very clear coaching errors. But why do people think they won't win 55+ games next year? (edit: if healthy)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Happy birthday Dejan! Hope the world blesses you with a SAC/GSW game 7

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What a loving picture. Can’t even see LeBron at all

https://twitter.com/bronsgoated23/status/1651771513589186561?s=46&t=onxyh9cLuduaEE8VkMrnMQ

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Seven makes or seven attempts? Can't do video at work.

Or seven for seven, somehow?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The videos are 7 makes. I'm sure there are many more attempts.

The runner bank shot against Toronto was the coolest.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Predictions are open for round 2
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4029458&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post531505014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rick posted:

Hell yeah.

I did not have cable TV or a TV at all when the Suns went cable only which sucked because I would sometimes listen to their games on a radio I had that picked up TV. At the time I thought it was the dumbest thing and they would lose fans but then everyone else did it too. I hope everyone else does this too (although realistically the teams with billion dollar local TV contracts are not going back to the airwaves anytime soon).
I'm curious how much less revenue this means for the Suns compared to their old RSN deal, if any. The RSN model soaks the fans for dollars and limits overall team exposure so it's bad overall from the public point of view...but gotta imagine it was more lucrative from the league perspective.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Fast Luck posted:

I'm curious how much less revenue this means for the Suns compared to their old RSN deal, if any. The RSN model soaks the fans for dollars and limits overall team exposure so it's bad overall from the public point of view...but gotta imagine it was more lucrative from the league perspective.

The article says they're missing out on a lot of money, but the idea is to grow the fanbase now that they have booker and durant, and unsaid, to make it up with advertising dollars, which is a good gamble I think

America is poorer than ever before, a lot of kids are not ever going to see their local team if it's on cable only. That cuts the future fanbase at the knees

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
https://www.nba.com/watch/video/thi...CAGJ%2FpFQiAAAA

Great little video from the Thinking Basketball guy about how the Knicks got so many ORBs (Cavs had a big man pre rotate to the man in the corner on PnRs, leaving Robinson time to get inside position).

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
https://twitter.com/BronsGoated23/status/1651771856544837633?s=20
This one is forever seared into my brain

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I wish I could shoot those wizards series right into my veins

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I remember that 3 against Orlando being a big, big deal. People had criticized him for not really ever hitting those clutch buzzer beaters, especially from outside.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The article says they're missing out on a lot of money, but the idea is to grow the fanbase now that they have booker and durant, and unsaid, to make it up with advertising dollars, which is a good gamble I think

America is poorer than ever before, a lot of kids are not ever going to see their local team if it's on cable only. That cuts the future fanbase at the knees

Yeah that's a good point too. Suns fanbase is already big, but it has a lot of room to grow, and an untapped area down in Tucson that Saraver neglected. I mean if I'm the new ownership I have a game every preseason in Tucson, maybe even a regular season game. And I make sure I'm hitting up Yuma and Flag (and Press-Kit since they like to do training camp there) on a rotation in preseasons.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
As a country we need to bring our sports teams back to the people. It’s absurd that fans can’t even watch their local teams without jumping through hoops, paying exorbitant fees, or just straight up can’t. This country used to be something. We used to build things

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Same I had flashbacks to that day and screaming with my dad and brother. The only good part of a 4-1 beatdown of a series

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/1652062160821043202

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I remember that 3 against Orlando being a big, big deal. People had criticized him for not really ever hitting those clutch buzzer beaters, especially from outside.

Yeah he was like 24 years old too which made the critics extra dumb

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

lol did anyone get even remotely close for the first round?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Red Rox posted:

lol did anyone get even remotely close for the first round?

Probably not. I'll do the scores after the first round actually closes. I think it was probably mostly a big tie.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I really want the first round to close out today. Lets go guys, end your series.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mr. F! posted:

I really want the first round to close out today. Lets go guys, end your series.

Sorry, the beam will not allow this.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

The Maestro posted:

As a country we need to bring our sports teams back to the people. It’s absurd that fans can’t even watch their local teams without jumping through hoops, paying exorbitant fees, or just straight up can’t. This country used to be something. We used to build things

Unironically yes

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

The Maestro posted:

It sounds like the answer is 10x more seats in stadiums then, since the exorbitant prices haven't prevented teams from consistently having full attendance.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat forgot about this one. Fuckin nasty.
https://twitter.com/BronsGoated23/status/1651772760039862273?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The trend with arenas is more modest seating in favor of wider concourses that can pump out more concessions and putting in more space constrained metro areas