Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

i am a moron posted:

I don’t work there so I don’t care if his IT department lets this stuff go on and he couldn’t use the mouse jiggler program I do so I pointed him in the right/wrong direction. It probably isn’t malware but hey you never know. Locking screens when people WFH is dumb

Not really since a lot of people work from coffee shops or libraries or have roommates etc

I hope you don't get fired! For using the mouse jiggler, not helping your friend break HIPAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I’m not breaking any of our company’s policies by doing what I’m doing so no, I won’t be fired. I doubt my friend would either lmao

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

i am a moron posted:

I’m not breaking any of our company’s policies by doing what I’m doing so no, I won’t be fired. I doubt my friend would either lmao

Is your job in the US by chance?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Sure is

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nexxai posted:

Why would you even help with this?
Username post combo points?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Then yeah, the phrase "I'm not breaking any written rules" is not gonna save you.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I’m a manager at my company and trust me, no one cares. We have people who are putting their own images on company machines and infosec can’t do poo poo about it. I have local admin and running a mouse jiggling program wouldn’t raise any eyebrows, plus our security team is in no way shape or form going to get someone fired because someone broke one of their rules unless it involved some hard to imagine loss of client data (which 9/10 times doesn’t touch our stuff anyways)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

i am a moron posted:

I’m a manager at my company and trust me, no one cares. We have people who are putting their own images on company machines and infosec can’t do poo poo about it. I have local admin and running a mouse jiggling program wouldn’t raise any eyebrows, plus our security team is in no way shape or form going to get someone fired because someone broke one of their rules unless it involved some hard to imagine loss of client data (which 9/10 times doesn’t touch our stuff anyways)
ok this went from believable idiocy to obvious troll

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

What part is a troll?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I said mouse jiggler but I’ve been using Powertoys for like a year: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/

It has a feature that disable screen locking and since I have local admin :shrug:

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Hospitals are governed by HIPAA so regardless of what your friend has signed, he's also accountable to the federal government for proper care of patient health information. I'm willing to bet the hospital doesn't have a business associates agreement with OpenAI so he's already breaking federal law by typing patient health information into ChatGPT.

IANAL so I don't know whether a mouse jiggler is a breach of HIPAA, but I'd recommend you play this one safe.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

To be clear, I work for a consultancy. If anyone took my laptop or hosed with it while the screen was unlocked they would find nothing of value. Same with the folks I work with unless someone has pulled repos with proprietary code in them, but I think those are governed differently at that point cause we usually use our clients stuff. If my friend wants to be a dumbass I’m not really worried about it

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Who needs a mouse jiggler when you can just run Epic Sax Guy (10 hours) all day every day on one of your monitors so your computer doesnt go to sleep?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ms teams logs mouse movement for whatever reason

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

ms teams logs mouse movement for whatever reason

I'm sure it's purely for benign reasons

Like making sure that if you're idle it won't send you any notifications to that device. I'm on two different laptops and logged into Teams on both, and if a meeting starts or someone sends me a message it only shows up on the one I'm using, but then if I jiggle the mouse on the other one all the notifications suddenly come through in a flood. It's extremely strange and unnecessary

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Data Graham posted:

Like making sure that if you're idle it won't send you any notifications to that device. I'm on two different laptops and logged into Teams on both, and if a meeting starts or someone sends me a message it only shows up on the one I'm using, but then if I jiggle the mouse on the other one all the notifications suddenly come through in a flood. It's extremely strange and unnecessary

I hate this

My job is super reactionary so sometimes I just put my feet up and put my e-mail on one screen, youtube on the other and wait for someone to ask me for help.

Then after an hour of nothing I'll touch my mouse and get a dozen teams messages.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Teams doesn't fetch new messages if you're idle?? :psyduck:

That's insane

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Everything Teams does is insane.

It's like they said, hey let's make Slack, except every single individual little feature? Make it about 30% worse or more annoying

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Teams doesn't fetch new messages if you're idle?? :psyduck:

That's insane

My favorite teams quirk is if a user wants a name change after theyre hired (say they want their first to be a nickname only), Teams holds the first name it grabbed for up to a freaking month because it doesn’t update its cache for personal information for a long time

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Data Graham posted:

I'm pretty sure it's to track your "active work" metrics in O365 so your manager can give you poo poo for working via browser and command prompt all day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Speaking of Microsoft's quirks, has anyone written anything in DAX? It's their analysis language used in Excel, Power BI, etc... The entire language is a quirk.

Worst language, by far, that I've ever worked with. I'd rather write in Perl all day than DAX. The more I learn/use DAX, the more confident I grow that a good percentage of the Power BI report out there aren't displaying their intended calculations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Diqnol posted:

My favorite teams quirk is if a user wants a name change after theyre hired (say they want their first to be a nickname only), Teams holds the first name it grabbed for up to a freaking month because it doesn’t update its cache for personal information for a long time
Oh that's why people's O365 profile images are always so out of date in Teams.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hughmoris posted:

Speaking of Microsoft's quirks, has anyone written anything in DAX? It's their analysis language used in Excel, Power BI, etc... The entire language is a quirk.

Worst language, by far, that I've ever worked with. I'd rather write in Perl all day than DAX. The more I learn/use DAX, the more confident I grow that a good percentage of the Power BI report out there aren't displaying their intended calculations.

It is deeply terrible and hard to debug, yes.

Try DAX Studio, which is a way better way to try out new measures than in PBI itself

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Speaking of ChatGPT, I wasnt giving it much thought until the other day my mother in law emailed me a link that claimed, among many other things, that ChatGPT is the antichrist.

So beware, friends!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

tactlessbastard posted:

Speaking of ChatGPT, I wasnt giving it much thought until the other day my mother in law emailed me a link that claimed, among many other things, that ChatGPT is the antichrist.

So beware, friends!

My grandmother told me that AI was the antichrist and facial recognition was the mark of the best at Thanksgiving last year.

There's clearly someone passing that claim around to scare the old folks. Sigh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ConfusedUs posted:

My grandmother told me that AI was the antichrist and facial recognition was the mark of the best at Thanksgiving last year.

Won't be surprised if I hear it from my in-laws soon. FIL is an evangelical pastor, so I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.

That being said. I've heard a lot of good things about the paid ChatGPT. I'm just not sure what I'd use it for currently over the free bit.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Do you only get the antichrist options with the paid version

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

AntIchrist

:tinfoil:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ConfusedUs posted:

I wonder what conspiracy theories I'll believe in when I get old(er). :smith:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Shugojin posted:

AntIchrist

:tinfoil:

Saw this in the RandomWaffle thread, coincidence....?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

im the guy wearing the 'my high score is in heaven' sandwitch board

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A termination came in.

Mine.

:smithicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress sake

That's what you get for trying I guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Frosty Witch posted:

A termination came in.

Mine.

:smithicide:
Sounds like they got tired of you making everyone else look bad.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Most plausible explanation ever.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

You have NO idea, actually. HR didn't even know. This was punitive af

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

A Frosty Witch posted:

gently caress 'em, and good luck. Go find someplace new and make it even more awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

A Frosty Witch posted:

Talk to a lawyer?