Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CancerCakes posted:

There is no better feeling in a corporate environment when you receive a juicy email that wasn't meant for you

From a pa

To an external executive head hunter

Arranging a meeting with the c suite peeps

To discuss (redacted)

Awww yissss give me that sweet sweet forbidden knowledge

I mean it isn't even that juicy, but it gets me right in the squanch

Best email I ever received was from the head of HR to the CEO, who shared the first two letters (and almost the third) of his email address with me. It's not like I can un-see the plaintext listing of what everyone is being paid. Made around $50k off of it so far with bargaining power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Still haven't been in an office since a couple days in Feb and that was more by choice than necessity

I will be the first against the wall and grin, asking "first time?"

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I know we're later than most, but we got our "return to work" email today. Tues-Thurs, which I know is a path towards Mon-Fri. Of course it's for "better collaboration." And the company knows that it does better when "people are at their best."

I already go in 2-3 days a week because I have lab work, but it's been very useful to work around my meeting-heavy days and only go in when I need to. But our division only has enough desks for about 50% of people (600 people and about 300 desks), and only a handful of conference rooms. Starts in early June and it's gonna be chaotic.

We got the email at the end of last year that we were all expected to make campus our primary place of work in 2023, immediately followed by the news that our division was moving into a new office building...which is not on campus, unlike our old one.

First day at the new office was yesterday and yeah, it was chaotic. I got there just before 9, figured out where my locker was after having to swipe 4 access panels, threw my stuff in there, went to get a coffee with colleagues, came back and all the desks on the level were taken.

Oh and an update to Office Dog-gate (we were told no dogs allowed in the new office and people started getting real salty in Slack): in the new office we share one level with another department...and they have a dog. The #pets channel was NOT PLEASED.

In other news I finally got approval after months of pushing to hire someone for 3 days a week to make up the remaining FTE for my part-time staff member. Filled in the excruciating HR recruitment form and was about to submit it when I got a message from my manager that we have to immediately pause all recruitment "for a short while". In the meantime, we have the biggest campaign of the year coming up and not enough people to roll it out.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jumpsuit posted:

Powerful Two-Hander, how long's your notice period?

3 months (pretty much standard for level/title in the UK), two more to go and I have two weeks of holiday to take in that time as well so we are well into this.

By sheer coincidence a contractor that worked for me a few of years back just asked if I knew of any positions going so he's coming over from another department which is going to give some brilliant continuity on one project.

There's another project that's screwed but I told my manager that really, this is a big shrug because it was the easiest thing for everyone involved to let slide and it has now dragged on so long that we'd completely lost momentum. Would have been nice to have got it done but I'm not going to lose any sleep on it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Silly Newbie posted:

Best email I ever received was from the head of HR to the CEO, who shared the first two letters (and almost the third) of his email address with me. It's not like I can un-see the plaintext listing of what everyone is being paid. Made around $50k off of it so far with bargaining power.

We are about to have all autocomplete on email addresses disable by corporate mandate to "prevent accidental emails to 3rd parties" and it's going to be a clusterfuck.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The powers that be: We want 70% of FTEs on-campus at least 3 days a week.

The powers that be: You're losing your shared office and will be working out of open spaces.

Me: Guess how that's going to work out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

The powers that be: We want 70% of FTEs on-campus at least 3 days a week.

The powers that be: You're losing your shared office and will be working out of open spaces.

Me: Guess how that's going to work out.

Isn't it stupid? I have to be on-campus 3+ days a week in the name of "teamwork" and "creativity" but they took away my office AND my former cubicle, in a building that doesn't have open spaces. :wtc:

So yeah, I'm in the office occasionally. Just... not my office, since it doesn't exist, so what loving good was this whole exercise?

So I did it for like two weeks and went back to only showing up 1-2 days a week. Don't tell me to be in my office and then not give me one, dipshits.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Is there a reason companies insist on telling us about which VP is being moved from division A to division B and that they will be reporting to C-Level X but have a dotted line to Y? Seriously they could care less about me and would poo poo can my entire division if needed. So why waste my time emailing me about the shell game?

https://i.imgur.com/2wGD3mp.mp4

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I really hate hot desk bullshit, the whole point as an office drone to come in is to have your own little space you can turn into a huge loving disgusting mess

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So far no one has insisted on the 'return to office' becoming a reality but I'm kind of looking forward to making someone explain how collaborating with my team (who are all in different states and mostly in different time zones) is aided by my being in the office.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I’m putting in my notice at megacorp today!! Off to the greener pastures of a small local firm in a completely different industry. Feeling incredibly guilty but also certain that this is the right move for me long-term.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

So far no one has insisted on the 'return to office' becoming a reality but I'm kind of looking forward to making someone explain how collaborating with my team (who are all in different states and mostly in different time zones) is aided by my being in the office.

It's great for cross-team collaboration!!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
My wife was ahead of the curve on this. When her last local teammate was let go (a decade ago now?), she just started going in less and less, and then not at all. I think the office manager tried to narc on her at some point, but then decided she'd rather just quietly absorb the desk space/etc. Probably made the office managers metrics look better than they were, managing assets for X employees with Y budget has to be a lot easier if some of them aren't actually there.

Anyways, I'd encourage the tactic of just not going in, despite whatever "official policy". See if someone actually hates you enough to get in your poo poo over it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

We are about to have all autocomplete on email addresses disable by corporate mandate to "prevent accidental emails to 3rd parties" and it's going to be a clusterfuck.

How do you find someone's email without typing the first few letters of their name or something you think is close to their name until you find the right one and having it pop up???

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dxt posted:

How do you find someone's email without typing the first few letters of their name or something you think is close to their name until you find the right one and having it pop up???

Exactly. "Oh Christ is it John.smith, john.smith1, john.smith(ext) or john.smiith? Or jsmith???"

The worst is the distribution lists - good luck figuring which of the 9 million permutations of "support" you need!

Incredibly timely for a bunch of these sent today.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've been reading about the wonderful environment of pharma companies in this thread. I currently work remotely, but if I were to go local most of the options are pharma. I don't know if anyone wants to name names but are there better options in the industry? Like gsk < bms or something.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

I've been reading about the wonderful environment of pharma companies in this thread. I currently work remotely, but if I were to go local most of the options are pharma. I don't know if anyone wants to name names but are there better options in the industry? Like gsk < bms or something.

I’ve only worked as W2 for one big pharma and contract for another. Both were fine, and light years ahead of the CROs when it came to benefits, but came with all the bureaucratic nonsense you’d expect from a global megacorp. I suspect they’re all like that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

It depends so heavily on your role and often even your site, within big-pharma. Do you have any specifics you'd like to ask about? Or if you're worried about self-doxx, PM me?

General rule, though: Quality of life best-to-worst -- Big Pharma > Startup >> Small Pharma >>> CRO >>>> CMO.

Bureaucracy Irritation, Biggest Irritation to Smallest -- Big Pharma > CMO > CRO > Small > Startup

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 28, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

It depends so heavily on your role and often even your site, within big-pharma. Do you have any specifics you'd like to ask about? Or if you're worried about self-doxx, PM me?

General rule, though: Quality of life best-to-worst -- Big Pharma > Startup >> Small Pharma >>> CRO >>>> CMO.

I can field IT-related questions in big Pharma, but Sundae has worked for more of them and for longer than I have.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
Sadly I've worked in all categories except for big pharma and can confirm the accuracy.

CRO/CMO work is garbage tier levels of bad.

I am currently working at a start-up, and it's fantastic. Actually being respected as a human being with high salary, benefits, WFH, etc.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Thanks all. The posting I was looking at was for "Senior Manager Cloud Operations" at Squibb in Princeton NJ. I'm at a sort-of big corp in a different industry now, this would be bigger.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Thanks all. The posting I was looking at was for "Senior Manager Cloud Operations" at Squibb in Princeton NJ. I'm at a sort-of big corp in a different industry now, this would be bigger.

The various idiots have managed to write a work instruction that, depending on how you read it, prohibits anyone from working on a shared/cloud document. So thanks in advance if you can unfuck that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We got told to return to the office by the last week of March, we’ve spent the last two weeks picketing in front of the building because we really don’t want to.

Also we haven’t had a raise in a couple of years.

But you know, gently caress RTO.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

priznat posted:

I really hate hot desk bullshit, the whole point as an office drone to come in is to have your own little space you can turn into a huge loving disgusting mess

I wouldn't care as much if I had my little home where I kept my poo poo but they started the hot desking thing in late 2021 too and it's just lovely. They even claim that "open desks leads to better collaboration!" :confused:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They even claim that "open desks leads to better collaboration!" :confused:
Execs need to lead by example here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wouldn't care as much if I had my little home where I kept my poo poo but they started the hot desking thing in late 2021 too and it's just lovely. They even claim that "open desks leads to better collaboration!" :confused:

I don’t even get that because how can you collaborate with people when you don’t know where they will be sitting on any given day?!

Just mealy mouthed lies!!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

priznat posted:

I don’t even get that because how can you collaborate with people when you don’t know where they will be sitting on any given day?!

That's exactly what I say - and they tell us that we can look it up online if someone has reserved a desk that day, but that's not a required thing, and why the hell is that better than knowing that Rachel in marketing site in this particular desk on the 4th floor.

I'm just tired of the sugarcoating bullshit that makes no sense. Yeah I know, corporate America, I'm not new to this.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

priznat posted:

Well,

you know,

you need to, uh,

do a lap around the office to find them which encourages those spontaneous moments of hallway connections that strengthen our culture and make our company such a special place to work.

Phew took me a second to get into my flow there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously office size is a factor for that but you just message them on teams or coordinate sitting in the same area.

Hotdesking is fine for hybrid models. Dumb for full time in-office employees.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My execs keep calling it RTW and I find that insulting as hell.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

This is wonderful

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I was based in the Princeton office all last week, the fucker was basically empty except for Thursday which was "bring your kids to work day" and thus intolerable. Built 2017. Oops!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FrozenVent posted:

We got told to return to the office by the last week of March, we’ve spent the last two weeks picketing in front of the building because we really don’t want to.

Also we haven’t had a raise in a couple of years.

But you know, gently caress RTO.

I have a buddy that’s been wfh for a decade that got told he need to return to the office in this

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am greatly looking forward to the giant clusterfuck that my company is walking themselves into this coming year. We are currently in a hybrid 2 days a week in the office for most office workers. Because of this, one of the campuses for engineering and project management is giving up 3 floors in a building at the end of the year (guessing 40-50 desks, 3 meeting rooms, and 5 offices a floor). There is already a shortage of desk space now.

Starting in mid May, the company is instituting a core office work day on Wednesday. Everyone is expected to be in the office on Wednesday. So you can see where this is going, we can’t fit the people in the campus we have now, and we are going to have less desk space at the end of the year.

I greatly look forward to being able to go into the office less at the start of next year. I will pretty much show up for my weekly departmental office meeting (on Wednesdays) and then go back home. As there is no reason for me to fight over hotel space, especially when I need multiple monitors to do my job efficiently. And somehow I am really doubting that there will be properly equipped hotel stations set up that won’t be ransacked quickly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Orvin posted:

I am greatly looking forward to the giant clusterfuck that my company is walking themselves into this coming year. We are currently in a hybrid 2 days a week in the office for most office workers. Because of this, one of the campuses for engineering and project management is giving up 3 floors in a building at the end of the year (guessing 40-50 desks, 3 meeting rooms, and 5 offices a floor). There is already a shortage of desk space now.

Starting in mid May, the company is instituting a core office work day on Wednesday. Everyone is expected to be in the office on Wednesday. So you can see where this is going, we can’t fit the people in the campus we have now, and we are going to have less desk space at the end of the year.

I greatly look forward to being able to go into the office less at the start of next year. I will pretty much show up for my weekly departmental office meeting (on Wednesdays) and then go back home. As there is no reason for me to fight over hotel space, especially when I need multiple monitors to do my job efficiently. And somehow I am really doubting that there will be properly equipped hotel stations set up that won’t be ransacked quickly.

Like, this is already a known issue with part time and compressed hour arrangements, everyone wants a long weekend so if you're four days you want Monday to Thursday or Tuesday to Friday, if you're three days all the pattens you want will include a Wednesday. The problem of "there's too many people in the office on Wednesday" predates covid, working from home in any capacity and definitely the downsizing of office space that any company that doesn't own property has done over the last three years.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Today is definitely a Monday. I woke up and thought, "I'm tired and cranky, I'm gonna take a personal day." Then I looked at my calendar and thought, "I don't want to reschedule all this. I'll just be tired and cranky while I work." But then I realized, "Oh wait. This will just be a normal day for me."

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 1, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Today is definitely a Monday. I woke up and thought, "I'm tired and cranky, I'm gonna take a personal day." Then I looked at my calendar and thought, "I don't want to reschedule all this. I'll just be tired and cranky while I work." But then I realized, "Oh wait. This will just a normal day for me."
Hello, me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Today is definitely a Monday. I woke up and thought, "I'm tired and cranky, I'm gonna take a personal day." Then I looked at my calendar and thought, "I don't want to reschedule all this. I'll just be tired and cranky while I work." But then I realized, "Oh wait. This will just a normal day for me."

Sadly too long for a thread title but it would be perfect

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Replace “Monday” with “day” and it’s more accurate

Good reminder that I need to start burning down some PTO though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Amazing how quickly I mentally checked out after putting in my notice last Friday. No motivation at all today.