Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My friends still scream eye of avacado since I loved playing dr strange so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cardboard Fox posted:

Guild Wars 2, at least to me, brought the next iteration of MMO questing that was always the typical "go to npc, pick up quest, collect 15 koala testicle, turn in". Being able to run around and just play the game was amazing.

I wonder what the first MMO that did public quests was. My first exposure to them was Warhammer online back in 2008. After playing Everquest and then a little bit of WoW, my mid was just loving blown by the idea.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.

NeurosisHead posted:

I wonder what the first MMO that did public quests was. My first exposure to them was Warhammer online back in 2008. After playing Everquest and then a little bit of WoW, my mid was just loving blown by the idea.

Everquest 1: the Scars of Velious, actually, with the ring war

NickHotS
Aug 4, 2022
Monsters & Memories is holding our first Public Stress Test this weekend.

- Friday, April 28th, 9pm-1am EDT
- Saturday, April 29th, 1pm-5pm EDT (with the possibility to extend this session an additional four hours)
- Possibility to add a Bonus Session on Sunday, April 30th

Account Creation and Game Download is LIVE at: https://account.monstersandmemories.com/

Hope to see some of you there!

NickHotS fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 25, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NickHotS posted:

- Saturday, April 29th, 1pm-5pm EDT (with the possibility to extend this session an additional four hours)

Account creation is LIVE at: https://account.monstersandmemories.com/

Hey cool I've watched some of the dev streams on Twitch. I will try this game ty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NickHotS posted:

Account Creation and Game Download is LIVE at: https://account.monstersandmemories.com/

This looks really cool! How close are you guys to being completed and releasing version 1.0 / retail? I am all in when that happens.

NickHotS
Aug 4, 2022

I said come in! posted:

This looks really cool! How close are you guys to being completed and releasing version 1.0 / retail? I am all in when that happens.

We still have a good ways to go, but this is a really big milestone for us.

We promised the community last year that we wanted to get people in the game by the end of the year. While we were able to start a Friends and Family test by then, our true goal was to hold one of these Public Tests as well. There were many reasons for this, the main ones were:

- To let the community come try it, because we promised it
- To show the community that there is indeed a playable game
- To see how the server and client perform during a load test

After this Public Test, and our Friends and Family testing wraps up not long after, we're going to be going a lot harder on content development. When we started it was only 3 of us working on the core development for about a year. Now the team size is up to 16. We have people and pipelines in place to facilitate content creation. We're also in the midst of a big character art revamp, because we recently added a 3D Character Artist with Senior experience in the Game Industry, having previously worked on several MMOs and other big titles.

We're in the planning stages for this next stage of development, but what I can say is that we plan on working on two brand new dungeons, while heavily revamping/outright replacing one of our outdoor zones. We're also planning some revamps to a couple other of our other less developed zones. We're likely going to start targeting 3 month milestones for our work.

If everything goes well with that milestone, we will probably be starting on a new biome outside of our desert region for the milestone after that.

I'm really excited to see what we can do when we put this test behind us.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That's super exciting, I registered! Pumped to help test it out.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I don't know how I came across it but I've been following the Monsters and Memories YouTube channel for a while now, been excited to see how this turns out since I first saw it! Especially nostalgic for me since EQ was my first MMO and it looks it nails that vibe perfectly from what I've seen so far.

Also signed up for the stress test as well.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Very excited for MnM!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

NickHotS posted:

We promised the community last year that we wanted to get people in the game by the end of the year. While we were able to start a Friends and Family test by then, our true goal was to hold one of these Public Tests as well. There were many reasons for this, the main ones were:

After this Public Test, and our Friends and Family testing wraps up not long after, we're going to be going a lot harder on content development. When we started it was only 3 of us working on the core development for about a year. Now the team size is up to 16. We have people and pipelines in place to facilitate content creation. We're also in the midst of a big character art revamp, because we recently added a 3D Character Artist with Senior experience in the Game Industry, having previously worked on several MMOs and other big titles.

We're in the planning stages for this next stage of development, but what I can say is that we plan on working on two brand new dungeons, while heavily revamping/outright replacing one of our outdoor zones. We're also planning some revamps to a couple other of our other less developed zones. We're likely going to start targeting 3 month milestones for our work.

If everything goes well with that milestone, we will probably be starting on a new biome outside of our desert region for the milestone after that.

This sounds really cool and I'm excited for you! I don't have eq nostalgia but I love the OSR D&D vibe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

NickHotS posted:

That is really awesome! This all sounds extremely positive! You’re pretty much developing the MMO that I was talking about wishing that Embers Adrift was. As long as your game isnt too hardcore. Solo friendly, but still requires thinking, and the leveling up is a part of the content and feels rewarding, and it’ll be a perfect MMO imo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mustang posted:

I don't know how I came across it but I've been following the Monsters and Memories YouTube channel for a while now, been excited to see how this turns out since I first saw it! Especially nostalgic for me since EQ was my first MMO and it looks it nails that vibe perfectly from what I've seen so far.

Also signed up for the stress test as well.

Exactly! All of the different races you can play as, and it seems like the devs understand the atmosphere and immersion of EverQuest, and replicated that with their own style and vision of a high fantasy game world. Has me really hopeful and excited.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I feel like I shouldn't be writing this, but... as someone who never played EQ1 but had a good time with EQ2, Vanguard and other "old school like" mmos, should I be getting into it now? Is there anything there for me as a solo-but-willing-to-group player? Is it P99 that's generally recommended, or do they have "classic" retail servers? assuming modern day EQ1 is too weird.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

NickHotS posted:

I already signed up and have a couple EQ1/P99 pals who will also be on trying to break your poo poo this weekend!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

I feel like I shouldn't be writing this, but... as someone who never played EQ1 but had a good time with EQ2, Vanguard and other "old school like" mmos, should I be getting into it now? Is there anything there for me as a solo-but-willing-to-group player? Is it P99 that's generally recommended, or do they have "classic" retail servers? assuming modern day EQ1 is too weird.

p99 is good, al'whatever is good, eq1 tlp servers are good

The main differences: you have to pay a monthly fee to use tlp servers. p99 doesn't allow multi boxing. tlp servers let you use the actual modern day client, which is less painful to use and allows modern day ui mods. p99 uses an older client version that generally works but might give you guff and also does some nonsense to prevent you from using ui mods. al'whatever uses an incredibly old client version that may or may not function. TLPs have huge XP bonuses and other things like that. All three change arbitrary stuff while claiming to be completely era accurate: tlp changes are mainly around quality of life, p99 changes are there to benefit raiders mostly, al'whatever changes mostly benefit 3-box level grinding.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
"benefit" is probably inaccurate, "focused on" would be better

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Kevin Bacon posted:

having played EQ2 recently, and EQ1 TLP+Live within the last year, I think you might enjoy them since they feel pretty similar these days, IMO. You can easily grind to 60-65 on EQ Live without paying, and boxing is fairly straightforward and easy to do. TLP is typically Truebox at launch and I personally didn't like the rat race for Krono and the shittery that comes with real money being involved.

30.5 Days posted:

p99 is good, al'whatever is good, eq1 tlp servers are good

The main differences: you have to pay a monthly fee to use tlp servers. p99 doesn't allow multi boxing. tlp servers let you use the actual modern day client, which is less painful to use and allows modern day ui mods. p99 uses an older client version that generally works but might give you guff and also does some nonsense to prevent you from using ui mods. al'whatever uses an incredibly old client version that may or may not function. TLPs have huge XP bonuses and other things like that. All three change arbitrary stuff while claiming to be completely era accurate: tlp changes are mainly around quality of life, p99 changes are there to benefit raiders mostly, al'whatever changes mostly benefit 3-box level grinding.

Agree. P1999 is closest to the 'true' classic EQ experience, warts and all - but the client is still a far cry from the true classic EQ client. Not sure what the experience is like in the raiding scene these days, but as I recall it was aggressive poopsocker hell. The leveling grind is cool and good and that's definitely not just the rose tinted glasses talking.

Al'Kabor is very close to the EQMac experience, and actually uses a 'more classic' client than p1999, but has a significantly smaller population. 2-boxing or 3-boxing is the most common way to play. IIRC there are 5-6 active raid guilds at the top and there's a GM-enforced raid rotation for targets. Significantly less sweaty than p1999 and a wonderful way to enjoy raiding in classic-ish EQ.

One thing people forget about EQ is that the developers didn't anticipate people playing a snapshot of the game as it was in 2001, 20+ years later. There are certain very broken mechanics that devs have to either choose to fix/mitigate, or allow stupidly broken poo poo to continue in the name of being 'true classic'.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
So now there's a mod that turns Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord into a persistent MMO. I'm going to be checking this out and will report back.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2937242207

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

NickHotS posted:

Tried this out tonight. Starting town (Not-Freeport) was an unplayable lagfest early on when there were 500+ people in zone, but you could still run around and get out without too much hassle. It was actually pretty playable with 200ish once things settled down. Not-North Ro was very playable with 40-50, and a good spot to level with a small group, though trains of aggro mobs at the zone-in point were a real danger. I assume that zoning will eventually permit spawning at the point where you actually crossed the zone line rather than warping everyone to a single entry point.

Solo play was rough, but two buddies and I got to level 3 and were having fun killing fire beetles so we could see at night, and skeletons and not-Gnolls for rusty weapons and cloth armor. We even managed to kill a shaman before we logged, despite all of us getting diseased and it healing its entire health bar twice. I almost died, but managed to feign off low hp aggro which got it to run, and then I got a heal and popped back up to finish it off.

Overall extremely classic EQ vibes with the graphics, gameplay, and combat mechanics, and I was pretty impressed with how well the servers handled that many players in the same spaces. I look forward to more chances to test and more content. What I saw of the city looked pretty good in terms of layout and size - perhaps a bit larger than the combined zones of classic EQ cities like FP/Qeynos/Felwithe/Neriak, probably more like combined Cabilis sized. A lot of textures were still missing, and what buildings were done looked like a bit of a mishmash of different ideas that maybe didn't all belong in the same city, but it's still early days so not too concerning.

TL;DR: I accomplished the newbie dream of getting dual cracked staves and a nearly full set of tattered cloth on my ogre monk, so I consider this stress test a success.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 29, 2023

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLNHApgtJLA

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

NickHotS posted:

Tried this as an Ogre Shadow Knight and had a blast doing the new MMO discovery at the same time as dozens of others. Taking a note to a guild master, navigating a city without an ingame map, getting a runspeed buff that abbreviates to SoW... classic vibes. Good times.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NickHotS posted:

Do you know yet if the test is extending today and tomorrow? Trying to plan out my weekend and get a good session in.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It's going until 9pm E tonight at least.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Tried this out tonight. Starting town (Not-Freeport) was an unplayable lagfest early on when there were 500+ people in zone, but you could still run around and get out without too much hassle. It was actually pretty playable with 200ish once things settled down. Not-North Ro was very playable with 40-50, and a good spot to level with a small group, though trains of aggro mobs at the zone-in point were a real danger. I assume that zoning will eventually permit spawning at the point where you actually crossed the zone line rather than warping everyone to a single entry point.

Solo play was rough, but two buddies and I got to level 3 and were having fun killing fire beetles so we could see at night, and skeletons and not-Gnolls for rusty weapons and cloth armor. We even managed to kill a shaman before we logged, despite all of us getting diseased and it healing its entire health bar twice. I almost died, but managed to feign off low hp aggro which got it to run, and then I got a heal and popped back up to finish it off.

Overall extremely classic EQ vibes with the graphics, gameplay, and combat mechanics, and I was pretty impressed with how well the servers handled that many players in the same spaces. I look forward to more chances to test and more content. What I saw of the city looked pretty good in terms of layout and size - perhaps a bit larger than the combined zones of classic EQ cities like FP/Qeynos/Felwithe/Neriak, probably more like combined Cabilis sized. A lot of textures were still missing, and what buildings were done looked like a bit of a mishmash of different ideas that maybe didn't all belong in the same city, but it's still early days so not too concerning.

TL;DR: I accomplished the newbie dream of getting dual cracked staves and a nearly full set of tattered cloth on my ogre monk, so I consider this stress test a success.

I didn't even try it and this post hit me with a wave of nostalgia. I don't have the time to devote to a game like EQ again but I'm glad that people still get to experience something like it.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
No iksars :negative:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

or Erudites :negative:

Friends and I put together a Cleric, Fighter and Monk trio. We started really cookin' with gas once we got the Monk a Cracked Staff (later two! hell yeah) and got a Rusty Battle Axe for the fighter.

We found a nice spot in the Not Ro near the bandit camp that had zero roamers. It was so dark at night that we pulled loads of fire beetles to the same spot to make an ersatz campfire out of corpses.

Some friends joined from our TAKP guild and we worked our way up the beach and found Not Lockjaw. Let's plan a public newbie raid on him next stress test, eh?!

There was a really nice spooky green castle off in the distance at the end of Not Ro, we tried to find our way up into it but just found some partially imlpemented zones instead. Death Valley in particular was like an extremely large, Desert-flavored West Karana. It was filled with the newbie yard trash, so I assume those are mostly placeholder mobs. Found some weird stuff like a city in the sky and some untextured red mountains in the background.

I'm too broken by modern games that I didn't even bother going into the city and finding my guild or new abilities etc. Just went straight for the grind til the end of the playtest. Maybe if there was more time I'd be willing.

Also ran packet capture with WireShark the whole time. MnMEmu when? :v:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

cmdrk posted:

It was so dark at night that we pulled loads of fire beetles to the same spot to make an ersatz campfire out of corpses.
Hahaha, we did the same thing. I was expecting not to be so night blind as a non-human but maybe that's to-be-implemented flavor. Light sources being consumable with a variance in duration is interesting - I hope casters can create them or have infra/ultravision spells if this is how it's going to be.

And yeah, I want lizard people too, but at least we get two varieties of gnomes and dwarves!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone picking up Ethyrial? Looks to be some sort of runescape mmo that just came out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1277920/Ethyrial_Echoes_of_Yore/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvP8BHiXd5s

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Harminoff posted:

Anyone picking up Ethyrial? Looks to be some sort of runescape mmo that just came out.

That video you linked gave me negative desire to play it in its current state, so no - I’m not picking it up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Lmaoooooo no

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It has the exact same UI as that awful UO clone with shards or whatever goons were playing like two years ago, those big chunky health bars and top-down view that looks like it costs $10 on the unity store

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Harminoff posted:

Overall Reviews:
Mostly Negative (410 reviews)

:whitewater:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I had tricked myself into being optimistic about it after reading the devs talk about it. I thought it was going to be like Linkrealms with a small but relatively competent and passionate team with maybe their custom engine and yada yada, but it seems pretty clear this is kind of a cobbled together Unity asset store mess made by people who probably don't really know what they are doing? I mean kudos to them for making a game and releasing it, but no thanks, I'll be trying to reexperience my teenage years in another lovely mmo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just play OSRS instead of any of this dogshit

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Just play OSRS instead of any of this dogshit

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
~just random thoughts~

Star Wars Galaxies was amazing because your character could serve a greater social purpose beyond combat and loot. Like, 80% of the player-base (or more) would spec Pistoleer, or Scout, or Bounty Hunter, or (insert combat skill). The other 20% were Doctors back in the city's hospital, or dancers and musicians in the cantinas (doctors healed wounds, and dancers & musicians healed mind I think and buffed?), or crafters making all the items. So the majority of folks who want to pew pew with lasers and get their Han Solo RP on, get supported by the minority who would prefer to stay anchored in town, chilling in social areas but still contributing to the adventures. It furthered the social fun of the game because it led to bustling cities with purpose, and ways to play the game that didn't have you grinding womp rats in the Dune Sea for hours.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

LuckyCat posted:

~just random thoughts~

Star Wars Galaxies was amazing because your character could serve a greater social purpose beyond combat and loot. Like, 80% of the player-base (or more) would spec Pistoleer, or Scout, or Bounty Hunter, or (insert combat skill). The other 20% were Doctors back in the city's hospital, or dancers and musicians in the cantinas (doctors healed wounds, and dancers & musicians healed mind I think and buffed?), or crafters making all the items. So the majority of folks who want to pew pew with lasers and get their Han Solo RP on, get supported by the minority who would prefer to stay anchored in town, chilling in social areas but still contributing to the adventures. It furthered the social fun of the game because it led to bustling cities with purpose, and ways to play the game that didn't have you grinding womp rats in the Dune Sea for hours.

Yep. People could be full-time crafters that had their own stores they needed to advertise. I will never forget seeing an ad droid in Theed displaying a "20% off armor sale this month" message on screen, then plugging in the waypoint to their store and going on an adventure to find the shop in the middle of some small player city.

That was a large portion of the game, just interacting with other players in an organic way. I have never played another game that came anywhere close to this level again. And I don't think I ever will.

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
just wanted to pop in this thread to say: shout out to monsters and memories. let’s go baby, love the monsters and love the memories. give me a reason to find hope in this world again. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yep. People could be full-time crafters that had their own stores they needed to advertise. I will never forget seeing an ad droid in Theed displaying a "20% off armor sale this month" message on screen, then plugging in the waypoint to their store and going on an adventure to find the shop in the middle of some small player city.

That was a large portion of the game, just interacting with other players in an organic way. I have never played another game that came anywhere close to this level again. And I don't think I ever will.
The sad part is you're right, because even if you rediscovered that particular magic, it can never be as magical as your first time experiencing it. Nostalgia defines and drives the MMO industry these days for a reason.