Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Actually that might be the most beautiful cottonmouth I've ever seen. Often they're pretty ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The baby ones tend to have some really interesting colors

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sitting in my garden looking at tits. It's pretty good, but hard to capture with a phone. Also they should take singing lessons, but I guess MTV ruined that.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

BonHair posted:

Spring has arrived in Denmark!

Butterfly

This is an Inachis io/dagpåfugleøje/påfågelöga/peacock butterfly. It has spent the winter hiding somewhere dark. You can tell that it's a winter generation specimen by the worn and faded wings. The new one that hatch in the summer will have much brighter colors.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A REMINDER TO ALL WHO CONSIDER POSTING IN THIS THREAD:

Please use an Imgur alternative such as https://postimages.org/ or https://imgbb.com/ or your own hosting. Imgur is conducting a great purge.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Or you can log in to your imgur account. :shrug:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My what?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is imgur supposed to be pronounced "imager"? This only just occurred to me for some reason

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
immuhjer

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McGavin posted:

Or you can log in to your imgur account. :shrug:

this is also an option but who actually has one

okay i take that back, i know ONE person who had a registered account. she participated in some sort of secret santa gift exchange and sent some random imgur-user a bunch of dickbutt content and assorted candy stuff. i suppose this means there is SOME sort of community on that site, but i have no idea how it thrives or communicates.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's wild the amount of people who seem to take joy in not having an account. Like, why not have one? Keeps all your uploads and albums in one place, it's great. Some folks seem hostile to the suggestion of having one, it's weird

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i really don't use it enough to warrant it. nothing "joyful" about it, it's not a principled stand or anything, i just really don't see a need to revisit my one-shot uploads whenever google drive holds all my poo poo already.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've had my Imgur account for 12 years, apparently. :corsair:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Me too, somehow. I don't remember making one!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Test

E: wow; that's huge

aaannnd it turns out that I've had an Imgur account at least a decade, and had four photos in it from 2012...

I have resurrected it for future use.

I assume that all of the images I've uploaded will be purged, since they weren't done after I was logged in.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 25, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Found this spider at eye level when I opened the back door tonight.

Blurrier pic of the top side.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Slo-Tek posted:

Met a really good looking Box Turtle today.

Man that's a real pretty turtle, love the contrast of orange/black with his crazy expressive eyes

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Stoca Zola posted:

Found this spider at eye level when I opened the back door tonight.

Blurrier pic of the top side.

Hard to tell with the blur but it looks like a yellow garden spider to me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I exclusively use my imgur account, because the imgur Uploader plug-in for chrome needs you to be logged in; but, even if you upload using your account, there's no way for astral and the crew scraping the entire forums to re-host imgur images can tell if a given image is tied to an account or not... which means it has to be saved anyway, and that adds to the total burden.

Moreover, imgur wanting all images to be tied to accounts has an extremely obvious ulterior motive of eventually holding our images hostage to account fees. The free lunch is over, basically. I don't believe any free image host other than SA itself can be relied upon long-term to always be free... it costs money to run an image host and it's difficult to inject advertising into hotlinked images so they gotta get money somewhere.

The tl;dr is that you should save important images to your own local drive, your own cloud storage, etc. and just assume images you host on an image host will eventually either cost you money or go away.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Pigeons come in black apparently? Not sure how common this is but I never noticed one before. If you look close this one has been banded, so someone is keeping track of it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Could be someone's escaped racing dove, or some other kind of pet or working bird. Some of my wild ones are that dark shade, pigeon genetics and patterns are all over the place and vary a lot regionally too. In my neighborhood some have splotches of white because I suspect someone's wedding, etc. dove got some action around here.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Leperflesh posted:

extremely obvious ulterior motive of eventually holding our images hostage to account fees.

iirc the free accounts have always been limited in capacity anyway so eventually a threads images will fall off the back end of an account’s quota.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Here’s a :nws: (if you are a beetle) picture of these awful looking beetles mating. They are very clumsy and all look like pregnant females.

They were still going at it 5 minutes later.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
blister beetles, no touchie

unless you are also a blister beetle

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

Litoria infrafrenata just chillun' in the northern Aussie rainforest

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Caught this thief trying to get a free lunch in my prawn traps:

https://i.imgur.com/pYfKVRh.mp4

Probably an East Pacific Red Octopus, Octopus rubescens.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 29, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

McGavin posted:

:3:

You let them go gently, right?

Right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nah, you yeet them for distance like a foot ball. The arms give them a wicked spiral.

Serious answer: dunk the bucket and they swim out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

My phone camera is bad at zooming, so apologies for the quality, but I was excited to see my first gator (more than just a head sticking out of the water at least) since moving to the East Coast.

Also pictured, what I believe is a little blue heron, who took a pretty wide walk around the gator. Later a great blue heron walked right up to him, not a care in the world.

Edit: It's been a critter filled couple of days, I tried to take a picture of a bird, but he flew away, and I was annoyed, and then realized it was accidentally the best photo I've taken in awhile. North Carolina coast, any ideas on an ID?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 30, 2023

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Might be a grackle?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yeah I'd guess boat tailed grackle, they're entertaining little guys

Looks like he had some fishing line or something wrapped around one of his legs :(

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 30, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

free hubcaps posted:

Yeah I'd guess boat tailed grackle, they're entertaining little guys

Looks like he had some fishing line or something wrapped around one of his legs :(
Yeah, he had literally just stepped on that (I noticed it laying on one of those benches a moment beforehand). My hope is it wasn't tangled on there too badly, and he got it off.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Captain Invictus posted:

blister beetles, no touchie

unless you are also a blister beetle

The orkin website says some interesting things about them. Also some worrying things, like that they can poison livestock?

I figured that they are disgusting looking, but probably beneficial. Looks like i was incorrect.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Hard to tell with the blur but it looks like a yellow garden spider to me.

Thanks for the ID but I’m in Australia, I suspect it’s a juvenile orb weaver just based on the size and strength and optimistic location of the web. I hadn’t looked for pictures until now but she does look similar aside from that her abdomen is small. It’s interesting that similar camouflage occurs in parallel between widely different species, it must be effective.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 2, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

McGavin posted:

What a little cutie :kimchi:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Missed getting a pic but I saw a chonky boi possum this morning on my back patio munching on some nuts I left for the squirrels & birds :3: I spooked him a little opening the blinds & felt bad, he didn't panic but had this "oh hey...sorry my bad" look like he did something wrong then backed away & bumbled around the corner lol

E: got this photo this evening, cross posted from another thread

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Squirrel sploot! (he's munching a raw pecan I tossed on the patio)

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 4, 2023

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 4, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Obligatory "draw me like one of your french girls"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006