Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The hue of red is different.

Day ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Actually, given its problematic representation, I'm curious how the thread would propose to redesign the Maryland flag to retain its perfect aesthetic and ditch the confederate symbolism.

Change the red to blue, done

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

The hue of red is different.

Day ruined.

Old flag: perfect shade of red, distinctive proportions

New flag: too bright, overly standardized to remove uniqueness

:sigh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Now I want a meeting between Indonesia and Poland. Maybe Monaco too, but their flag is apparently square.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Indonesia and Poland but their flags are upside down lol so awkward

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Futanari Damacy posted:

Old flag: perfect shade of red, distinctive proportions

New flag: too bright, overly standardized to remove uniqueness

:sigh:

Standardized???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Rising Sun Flag is so good æsthetically.

Shame about the war crimes.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Xelkelvos posted:

Now I want a meeting between Indonesia and Poland. Maybe Monaco too, but their flag is apparently square.

One should go maximal with this, embrace the chaos of a Romania-Chad meeting.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Standardized???

The original was 7:10 ratio, the current one is 2:3 bringing it in line with lesser flags of the world. The sun also used to be offset slightly closer to the hoist whereas the new one has it centered

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

The Rising Sun Flag is so good æsthetically.

Shame about the war crimes.

Now it's Macedonia's.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now it's Macedonia's.

Northern Macedonia’s

:cryingfeta:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The flag symbols of the International Federation of Vexillological Associations (FIAV)

I love that :helladid: is the closest there is to that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flag of Halifax

Please tell me that you all see it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No ring.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Did you follow-up on my suggestion from last page? Or did someone else have the same (admittedly not terribly original) idea? :D

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Flag news: Vatican City grumpy that Wikipedia got its flag wrong and some officials bought the wrong flag.

It's actually a very subtle difference, the Vatican likes to have a darker shade of yellow for the coat of arms, but I guess the weirder aspect is the fact that the wikipedia flag gives the popehat a red inside, which seems like a weirder choice than just flattening out the yellows.

But while shaming Wikipedia for some internet person making their own design choices for the Vatican's flag, another article went poking around, and found a bunch of "wrong" flags of varying degree being used by the Vatican.
https://www.ncronline.org/vatican/vatican-news/vexing-vexillology-even-vatican-gets-its-flag-wrong

Which seems like the kind of mistakes that would be easy to make fairly often with an elaborate coat of arms flag as opposed to the more geometric designs that can be mathematically precise.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Isn't the rule in heraldry that it's the description that counts, not the specific execution? So, in that tradition, literally all of them are equally good, because they have the right elements in the right places, who cares if they look different?
Of course, that's a lot different from modern flag traditions, and it's basically a remnant of flags/crests being a thing you had to paint or sew by hand.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
All different, none good. Impressive!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
[Diogenes voice]: “Behold, a United States flag.”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Got a few into counting the stars before realizing I don’t care and Diogenes was correct

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Looks slightly better than the current one, but still too busy. Also I think the wording would be more specific if the USA had ever been really into heraldry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean the US and being into heraldry is our beloved “here’s some blue and a thing. You speak latin? Me neither!! Abe Linoclnius BITCHUS!”

Less heraldry and more what makes for a cool flag

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean the US and being into heraldry is our beloved “here’s some blue and a thing. You speak latin? Me neither!! Abe Linoclnius BITCHUS!”

Less heraldry and more what makes for a cool flag

I mean, the Army Institute of Heraldry is a real thing. (If we ever add any more states, I believe they're the ones who'd decide where to officially cram in the new stars.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Institute_of_Heraldry
https://tioh.army.mil/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Isn't the rule in heraldry that it's the description that counts, not the specific execution? So, in that tradition, literally all of them are equally good, because they have the right elements in the right places, who cares if they look different?
Of course, that's a lot different from modern flag traditions, and it's basically a remnant of flags/crests being a thing you had to paint or sew by hand.
We can't be sure any of the other three are right, as we can't see the finial, nor the tassels. Depending on the specificity of the description, the presence of any red in the papal tiara might also disqualify the rightmost two, while the bottom left could be excluded for having a white key.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

I mean, the Army Institute of Heraldry is a real thing. (If we ever add any more states, I believe they're the ones who'd decide where to officially cram in the new stars.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Institute_of_Heraldry
https://tioh.army.mil/

those idiots approved the caduceus for the medical corps, their opinions about anything are irrelevant

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 14, 2023

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Happy Flag Day, flag thread! :patriot:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ChubbyChecker posted:

those idiots approved the caduceus for the medical corps, their opinions about anything are irrelevant
Medicine in the US is done by thieves/merchants, so they chose the right symbol.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ChubbyChecker posted:

ONE SNAKE GOOD!

TWO SNAKES BAD!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The municipality of Jolo, Philippines has a pretty busy flag.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tommah posted:

Dunbar, WV -- comically bad flag

quote:

Barbour County, WV

:great:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've kinda gotten into a flag mood from killing some time on rplace. There's a lot of times when people from certain countries get ambitious about making their flags. Some people are happy with just one flags, others want to put out a million flags. The Turks are the worst, followed by the Brazilians. There was one day when the Argentinians did a lot. But also sometimes little installations where there are just a bunch of different flags crop up (before eventually being dominated by Turks). Right now there's a bunch of flag hearts on the long Latvian flag.

I like the challenge of trying to draw small flags. I'm proud of my way of making a teeny tiny Falklands flag next to any big Argentina flag I see. It's also interesting trying to make the more complicated non-tricolor flags, but some flags provoke more people to try to scribble them out more than others. The Turks will not allow a greek flag to stand.

Anyways, I really like the Bosnia and Herzegovina flag. It's interesting.

I don't like the Kosovo flag, which on top of being a map on a flag, has a bad official color scheme.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kosovo’s flag kinda looks like they made a boring stock euro flag and then Kosovo’s cat yakked on it

E: I said stock euro but that’s the standard tricolour, I meant stock US state flag. Kosovo’s cat yakked up its dinner on a potentially interesting seal. Replace the puke gold map with like, a topless lady spearing a serb with one hand as she decapitates a turk with the other, slogan in ancient illyrian, go stupid and nationalist. You can label it Kosovo underneath the seal in lieu of having a map

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 14, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It'd probably be Serbia's cat puking all over Kosovo's flag.

And Serbian ultranats seem to want to be Putin's cat, so a cat's cat vomiting on someone else's flag.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lacking an anthem thread I’m posting the kazakhstani anthem here bc it’s among the best and not regularly mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamvtFPhFoU

One of the best lands on earth and I can’t wait to go back

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The municipality of Jolo, Philippines has a pretty busy flag.

I like their national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdVNpIQrggY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Altay Kray's flag takes the simplistic "here is our poo poo" thing and makes it pretty using traditional colours. A good regional flag. This is how the "blank slate with seal" flag should be done, if it must be done. Lookin at you northern USA.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Mikhail Ivanovich Rodionov (Russian: Михаи́л Ива́нович Родио́нов; 25 October [O.S. 12 October] 1907 – 1 October 1950) was a Soviet-Russian statesman who, from 1946 to 1949, was the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the Russian SFSR.[1] He was purged during the Leningrad affair.

He created a proposal for a new state flag of the RSFSR, but it was rejected. It consisted of a traditional Russian tricolour flag with a hammer and sickle in the middle. Together with Nikolai Voznesensky, he was sentenced to death in 1950 based on false accusations of embezzlement from the Soviet State budget for "unapproved business in Leningrad", which was labeled anti-Soviet treason, at the Leningrad Affair case.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ddraig and Sickle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Something I don't get with Latin America is that there are two separate clusters of countries with nearly identical flags. Subnational units can have lovely flags no problem, but if you have national flags that are basically the same as your neighbors, then it gets hard to signify yourselves separately at international events.

I get that they decided to just have their flags descend from back when they were united as larger countries, but they all mutually decided not to be the Republic of Central America or Gran Columbia, you can't all decide to represent yourselves as about the same.

Adding your own coat of arms doesn't really help. Guatemala had a nice idea with rotating it a little, all the Central American republics screwed around with shades of blue, but the one that really set itself apart was Costa Rica with the inverse Thailand.

Argentina is just far enough away from the Central America that it independently created almost the same design, but it's close enough and in the same general sphere that they'd probably have to associate more with the central american republics than it would with like, Israel.

Go home 1823 Costa Rica, you're drunk.