Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (November 29-December 1, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (January 31-February 2, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Getaway Craft (September 19, 1914)

Little Lefty (June 9-11, 1938)

(Which brings us to the part I accidentally posted a few weeks too early. Big rear end whoops.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Apr 26, 1954)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

:yikes:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/1921/01/12/archives/hinton-farrell-and-kloor-the-rescued-balloonists.html

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Hinton

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

A noun. Replace it with an unfriendly noun. You aren't going to tell him to quit being such a happy. No wonder your writing isn't paying the bills!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've only caught the last bits of the family drama in Sally Forth, but it seems like Grandma here is trying to paint herself as an innocent victim. Yes, Sally and her sister didn't talk to her about how to handle her, but Grandma's not even admitting how much of an rear end in a top hat she was being to either of them.

Hostile V posted:

I Guess The Sheep Guy Needed Deep Lore

Sure love how Frank tricking and murdering the rest of Dale's family and friends didn't matter at all.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

amigolupus posted:

I've only caught the last bits of the family drama in Sally Forth, but it seems like Grandma here is trying to paint herself as an innocent victim. Yes, Sally and her sister didn't talk to her about how to handle her, but Grandma's not even admitting how much of an rear end in a top hat she was being to either of them.

Sure love how Frank tricking and murdering the rest of Dale's family and friends didn't matter at all.

According to the lore stuff from the Kevin & Kell RPG that actually exists, bird overlords genetically engineered the herbivores to not get mad or swear revenge over lost family members. They just sort of automatically shrug and assume that their family deserved it for not being quick enough or whatever. I assume this would fall off if Holbrook were ever to meaningfully threaten a named character. Like if Kevin got kidnapped by Herd Thinners or something you can bet his giant rabbit family would mount a daring rescue, not just shrug and say "Well, he was probably looking at his CELLPHONE like one of those drat KIDS."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Shugojin posted:

I mean their mom appears to read a lot of extra (ill) intent into things so
Almost like she's an rear end in a top hat, and thus expects everyone else is one too.
She's right but not in the way she thinks.

amigolupus posted:

So it goes with narcissists.

The Narcissist Prayer posted:

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, it's not a big deal.
And if it is, that's not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did, you deserved it.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 29, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hippocrass posted:

Comic Strips 2023: you can wordify anything if you just verb it

He knows the verbing way!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
what the hell was that Crankshaft

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 26, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I am on my hands and knees begging you to stop making comics or at least this one and Safe Havens.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

A noun. Replace it with an unfriendly noun. You aren't going to tell him to quit being such a happy. No wonder your writing isn't paying the bills!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SF_m2LEtDA&t=99s

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mind blown. :aaaaa:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

They fell off a cruise ship at night. They're dead.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 30, 1956)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

:btroll:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

manero posted:

Pluggers

:btroll:

This is me and my father (Just us, that's enough)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Safe Havens sure keeps forgetting that lady is supposed to be half plant now huh

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Neither CK nor Arcamax are cooperating, so no Rhymes with Orange.

Get Fuzzy 4/28/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 11/16-18/50

Does it seem odd that a big-city newspaper like the Flash is still paying its employees with envelopes of cash? There's a reason -- people who lived through the Depression weren't likely to trust being paid by check.

Smokey Stover 5/9/54

Everyday Movies 5/11/36

"Henry doesn't believe in war. He says most countries couldn't pay for the things they would buy from us."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/15-17/41

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
what's the deal with the newspaper guy's face anyway. why does he have several times bigger eyes than everyone else. it's always disconcerting

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

In my previous job, there was a woman who made it her job to tattle on anyone not wearing the correct shoes per the dress code. She could also tell you when everyone went to lunch and when they came back down to the minute.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So are they making bombs out of oranges, then?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So it goes with narcissists.

Could we not use actual personality disorders to insult cartoon characters we don't like?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Kingdom posted:

In my previous job, there was a woman who made it her job to tattle on anyone not wearing the correct shoes per the dress code. She could also tell you when everyone went to lunch and when they came back down to the minute.

Assuming this was appearance reasons not OSHA reasons like slip resistance or proper toe coverage

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Shugojin posted:

Assuming this was appearance reasons not OSHA reasons like slip resistance or proper toe coverage

I worked in a satellite office of a hospital. The rule was mainly aimed at women who weren't supposed to wear sandles without a heel strap or have the thong that went inbetween the toes. The rule was really for the hosiptal itself.

She was just a busybody.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When did she have time to do her own job?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

PainterofCrap posted:

When did she have time to do her own job?

That's a question we all asked.

On a personal note with her - each team in the office took turns weekly cleaning the employee break room - wiping down tables, clearing out the fridge, etc. One day she came to me and asked, "Why didn't you clean the loving coffee pot?"

I was caught waaaaay off guard, but said, "I cleaned the tables and counters. Somebody else did that."

I reported her to the supervisor and, as expected, she claimed she was "just joking". The good part was that she never spoke to me again.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 1, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 30, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 4-6, 1941)

There's a very obvious edit in this first one that I'm not touching with a ten-foot pole.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (November 30, 1939)

Is this the first time we've seen Popeye getting beaten up by a strong opponent, then eating spinach for a strength boost and returning the favor? I can't remember seeing it in the strip before.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Yeah this just doesn't work. What was the point of three weeks of build up? Hell, Grandma didn't even have to stay with her daughters, she had the money to be independent the entire time? I guess we can't have a Grandma Forth Is An rear end in a top hat storyline in a year if the issue is actually addressed. :v:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

According to the lore stuff from the Kevin & Kell RPG that actually exists, bird overlords genetically engineered the herbivores to not get mad or swear revenge over lost family members. They just sort of automatically shrug and assume that their family deserved it for not being quick enough or whatever. I assume this would fall off if Holbrook were ever to meaningfully threaten a named character. Like if Kevin got kidnapped by Herd Thinners or something you can bet his giant rabbit family would mount a daring rescue, not just shrug and say "Well, he was probably looking at his CELLPHONE like one of those drat KIDS."

at least my forums name made loving sense in the context. never ask where anyone is!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

My God. Holbrook is absolutely obsessed with making every one of his little universes the worst loving hell to live in.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake