Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kill me now posted:

Just took delivery of a 2023 iX xdrive50 last night. AMA

We needed to upgrade to a larger car for my wife as we are having twins in a few months and 3 car seats do not fit in the back of her M440 GC. Luckily I work for a BMW dealership and they had a good deal available on the iX.

idrive 8 is weird but not bad. I wish the idrive controller had more tactile feedback like previous iterations of it but it is still functional. The seats are very comfortable and there is lots of back seat space. The trunk is decent sized but not as big as you would expect it to be. It is about as fast as the m440 gc 0-60 but in a very different EV way.

Does anyone make aftermarket bumpers for these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6B6A1SF14o

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

WhiteHowler posted:

Soooooo my car didn't come with a level 1 charging cable, and Google has been unhelpful. What do I need, exactly? I'll be getting a L2 charger installed in my garage, but I'd like the L1 cable for emergencies or overnight trips to see family.
I think it's supposed to come with one? It might be buried in the trunk well. Mine was missing so I had to go back to the dealer to get it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone make aftermarket bumpers for these?

Nope, but at least its not an XM's front end!

I'm probably desensitized to the iX bumper after having had the M440 GC for the last year and being around current gen BMW's all the time. Its really not that bad and the rest of the vehicle more than makes up for it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
No sorry it is that bad

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hard to tell from the inside

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

WhiteHowler posted:

Right now I'm trying to conserve battery, because... I don't have a way to charge it at home yet. I wasn't expecting to actually buy today, but things came together.

the 6 comes with the 2 years of free Electrify America charging doesn’t it?

Do you have an EA station near you or your work?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The giant bucktooth grille of the current generation of BMWs is worse than anything Chris Bangle ever did to BMW design.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

The giant bucktooth grille of the current generation of BMWs is worse than anything Chris Bangle ever did to BMW design.

I'm not a big fan either but it's still less bad than the E60 or E63 rear.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheGoatTrick posted:

I think it's supposed to come with one? It might be buried in the trunk well. Mine was missing so I had to go back to the dealer to get it.

Oh, yep, found it in the trunk well. I'd looked earlier but it was wrapped up and I thought it was the tire emergency kit.

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

the 6 comes with the 2 years of free Electrify America charging doesn’t it?

Do you have an EA station near you or your work?

Yeah, I'm enrolling in the EA charging now.

The closest station is 15 minutes away, in the wrong direction from the city. Not too bad though, I doubt I'll have to use it often.

I'm avoiding driving it much until I can get it registered on Monday. It's totally legal to drive now, but the cops around here are super-horny to pull over anyone with dealer or temporary tags, and I don't need the hassle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

SlowBloke posted:

I'm not a big fan either but it's still less bad than the E60 or E63 rear.

Yeah the dame edna front headlights were unforgivable too. Going from the e39, possibly one of the best sedan/estate designs ever. Second place being post facelift e46 :colbert:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hey, wait, did that goon post a photo of their new bolt yet?

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 29, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kirios posted:

Psst

RWD is more fun to drive than AWD any ways.

this is what I’m trying to find out. AFAIK nobody has a really good breakdown comparing them yet. Idk if the RWD Ioniq really lets you get loose with it like a proper RWD car.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

Not when it has half as much horsepower as it can with EVs.

I think people aren't familiar with how the tradeoff works in EVs compared to ICE cars.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 30, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is what I’m trying to find out. AFAIK nobody has a really good breakdown comparing them yet. Idk if the RWD Ioniq really lets you get loose with it like a proper RWD car.

The EV6 GT certainly does. It even has a drift mode. Might have to wait for the N-line to get that on the ioniq 6.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The platform sibling genesis gv60 has the drift mode too, plus it has THE ORB

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

It does not exist on the new i5 so there is hope!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

cruft posted:

Hey, wait, did that goon post a photo of their new bolt yet?

FINE! It has bugs on it.

Edit: saw a Leaf today, it sounded funny

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Edit: saw a Leaf today, it sounded funny

is that this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVlMxQaAf-k

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think so, is also a goon. If you read this thread (don’t lol) sorry if i scared you waving/thumbs-uping :V

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

"A mullet for the environmentally conscious hot-rodder" is a fantastic sentence to describe that Leaf.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Big Taint posted:

FINE! It has bugs on it.

:hai:

Bugs look good too.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the heck you did to it with the extra computers, but that's a me problem.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I took the new Ioniq 6 out for an early-morning donut run, and there's a fairly pronounced vibration rattle coming from somewhere in the center dashboard, I think behind the infotainment system. I tried pushing on all of the panels but wasn't able to find the source. So that's annoying!

I know most cars develop rattles over time (my old Fusion is a symphony on a bumpy highway), but I've only put about 50 miles on this thing so far. It's not weird to bring it into the dealer to get them to fix it, right?

Aside from that, the Ioniq 6 is fun as heck to drive. The instant response from the pedal feels great, and the acceleration is so smooth without gears to shift.

I'm not 100% sold on the infotainment setup. You have to click "agree" on the disclaimer every time you start the car, and it's a couple of presses to get to Android Auto after you plug it in. Many options are buried deeper in menus than they need to be. Some things will just take getting used to, but I think others are going to be continued annoyances.

I haven't tried the one-pedal driving yet. That's going to take some time to wrap my head around.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 30, 2023

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

WhiteHowler posted:

I took the new Ioniq 6 out for an early-morning donut run, and there's a fairly pronounced vibration rattle coming from somewhere in the center dashboard, I think behind the infotainment system. I tried pushing on all of the panels but wasn't able to find the source. So that's annoying!

I know most cars develop rattles over time (my old Fusion is a symphony on a bumpy highway), but I've only put about 50 miles on this thing so far. It's not weird to bring it into the dealer to get them to fix it, right?

Aside from that, the Ioniq 6 is fun as heck to drive. The instant response from the pedal feels great, and the acceleration is so smooth without gears to shift.

I'm not 100% sold on the infotainment setup. You have to click "agree" on the disclaimer every time you start the car, and it's a couple of presses to get to Android Auto after you plug it in. Many options are buried deeper in menus than they need to be. Some things will just take getting used to, but I think others are going to be continued annoyances.

I haven't tried the one-pedal driving yet. That's going to take some time to wrap my head around.
Turn one-pedal on asap. Everyone I've ever seen making the switch to one-pedal driving figured it out in about 3 stop signs. I knew about it going in so I didn't even need that, its super easy and intuitive (Tesla in full regen mode).

And yes, get that rattle fixed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the Ioniq 6, Teslabjorn got his hands on one. He says it's no quite class leading but IMO it'll match the 3 LR under similar conditions - 16 degrees warmer, summer tires, no less headwind. He's doing the 1000km test now apparently.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

WhiteHowler posted:

The "star" buttons on the wheel and dash you can program for a function and activating android auto should be one of the options, so you can program one of the star buttons to activate android auto to save you some of those steps.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

bird with big dick posted:

You're stealing from Lexus owners.

I bought and owned a Toyota from 2000 to 2020. So I qualify.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

I bought and owned a Toyota from 2000 to 2020. So I qualify.

This only qualifies you for shrapnel in your face. Not Lexus meatballs.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I was excited about getting a Bolt this year and now I don’t know what to do.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WhiteHowler posted:

Being rattle and squeak free is way more important in an EV, with much lower levels of NVH than an ICE. My Leaf is still 100% squeak and rattle free at 65,000 miles, and it's not exactly a high end luxury car (I had one annoying squeak I fixed by tightening the screws on the sun visor.

Have them fix that poo poo under warranty, especially if it just rolled off the lot.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

I was excited about getting a Bolt this year and now I don’t know what to do.

Did something change with GM and I missed it, or are you just giving up with the endless wait-list?

My dad's been on the stupid wait-list since October and they still can't tell him whether he's actually on the list of cars to be made, or just people who wish they could buy a car.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Did something change with GM and I missed it, or are you just giving up with the endless wait-list?

My dad's been on the stupid wait-list since October and they still can't tell him whether he's actually on the list of cars to be made, or just people who wish they could buy a car.

They killed the bolt line

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Indiana_Krom posted:

Turn one-pedal on asap. Everyone I've ever seen making the switch to one-pedal driving figured it out in about 3 stop signs. I knew about it going in so I didn't even need that, its super easy and intuitive (Tesla in full regen mode).

And yes, get that rattle fixed.

I almost forgot that there were several EVs that I outright did not consider because they did not offer one-pedal as a setting that stuck and not something that had to be changed each time you started the car.

One-pedal is amazing, I honestly use my brakes like once or twice per week, every time my husband drives my car and it is still on his profile when I get in the car I start to freak out because the car just moves without me doing anything.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm pretty sold on an EV9 at this point but the issue is when the heck can I buy one and will I feel comfortable paying that much for a Kia.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

cruft posted:

This is through a dealership directly, right? They should be able to check stock live -- including stuff that's actively in transit on a train to the destination and pull up a map. When I was looking, the sales guy was able to list vehicles by expected arrival date and features.

Maybe try a different dealership.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chronojam posted:

This is through a dealership directly, right? They should be able to check stock live -- including stuff that's actively in transit on a train to the destination and pull up a map. When I was looking, the sales guy was able to list vehicles by expected arrival date and features.

Yeah, the dealership says "you don't have a VIN yet, that's all we can tell you."

Chronojam posted:

Maybe try a different dealership.

Maybe. I think this was the only one that didn't want to charge him a billion dollar market adjustment, though.

As much as we like cruft jr's Bolt, it's looking increasingly like cruft sr is going to need something different.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cruft posted:

Yeah, the dealership says "you don't have a VIN yet, that's all we can tell you."

Call the dealership and tell them you want the order number with GM -- it's a six-character alphanumeric code. They should give it to you.

Then go to the Chevrolet website. In the bottom right corner, click on the chat bubble. When the window opens (you may have to supply your full name and zip code?), enter "I'd like a status on my order". It will ask for the code. Enter it, and you'll get more information.

The most common status when you're waitlisted is "Your order has been submitted by your dealer but has not officially been accepted by GM at this time". This means that GM has the order, it's in the queue, but your dealer doesn't have a free allocation and the car isn't being built yet.

There are several steps after that -- queued for production, assembly, QA, prepping for transit... I don't remember them all.

I'm torn on canceling my Bolt EUV order. It has been in "not accepted" status since January. I'm wary of buying the last model year in a dying line, but it's also a good, cheap car with the tax credit included.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 1, 2023

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

cruft posted:

:hai:

Bugs look good too.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the heck you did to it with the extra computers, but that's a me problem.

Maybe I should do a thread. Here’s a phone effortpost in the meantime.

Comma.ai are the company that makes the hardware. Current version is the Comma 3, has been our for a couple years I guess. I have a Comma 2, before that was the EON and ??

Depending on your car, you will need some sort of harness to tap into the CANBUS, and possibly a ‘panda’ which plugs into the OBD port and connects to harness with an ethernet cable for comms and PoE. My car also needs a pedal interceptor that goes between the accelerator pedal and the Comma unit to give me ACC functionality. Not all cars need a pedal, or a panda. Most of this stuff is available via comma, but my car is special and I had to buy the pedal from a dude on Etsy (plans to diy on are on github if you’re that kind of nasty).

Many cars are supported by the main Openpilot branch, which is the open sauce software that runs on the Android guts in the hardware. If your car isn’t on there, there’s probably a branch on github for it. OPGM is a fork that adds support for lots of GM cars, as the name implies. I’m running a version of this that has integrated some more recent updates with support for the older hardware I have. I will edit this later with a link, I can’t find it with my phone for some reason.

Once you round up all the stuff you need for your particular car, you get to install it. How much of a PITA this is depends largely on your car. The Bolt was pretty easy despite needing an ethernet cord run to the pedal, the trim behind the rear view mirror pops off easily by hand, you unplug the forward camera cable, plug it into the comma harness, and plug that into the camera. Put the trim back together with the loose plug of the harness hanging out, and plug that into the harness adapter, which I stuck to the outside of the mirror trim with velcro. Then you run a USB-c cable from that to the comma unit, which i stuck right below the rear view mirror. I think it wants to be centered but you may be able to set an offset somewhere. It is easily removable, it just slides onto its bracket. Then if you need to hook up a pedal/panda then run an ethernet cable tucked up into the headliner, down the a pillar trim and down to the OBD port or closer to the pedal, wherever you are going to secure the interceptor. I ziptied mine to a bundle of cables under the dash, clear of the pedals.

Now the comma should power on, mine seems to sleep when the car has been off for a while but it turns on when I turn the car on. If it’s your first boot it will ask you to install the software, you give it the URL to whatever version you need and it loads it up. Once that’s installed it should turn on and show a forward camera (it has its own, in addition to using what the car sees in some instances?). You control it with your car’s cruise control buttons. There are some variations depending on the car, which I wont get into.

In the Bolt, once I’m on a road I think it can handle (flatter and straighter and less trafficy is better) I set the cruise and it takes over the throttling and steering. Shifter has to be in L one-pedal mode. The steering is ok, sometimes it’s smooth and others it’ll steer and correct and steer and correct and is real herky jerky, sort of at random. And sharper corners where it has to command more force than the LKAS is happy with it will usually not steer enough, panic, and you look like a drunk driver. I always keep my hand on the wheel, so I can help it in the harder corners, and I can sort of buffer when it’s steersteersteering instead of steeeeeering on a corner.

The ACC is really why I bought this thing, because the old Bolt doesn’t have it and my Sprinter does and I’m totally spoiled. It’s ok, not as good as the Sprinter but good enough, and I think it’s just some software tweaks away from being great. Currently it leaves waaaaay to big of a gap >65mph so people are constantly passing you, but it’s also really aggressive at maintaining that following distance, so the car in front of you is like 5sec ahead, somebody changes lanes between you, even if they are right on that lead car’s rear end, OP will decel 5+mph for several seconds to gain those few car lengths back, then speed back up. So the person behind you is nearly brake-checked, so they pass you and cut you off, triggering another aggressive decel, and on and on. So I find myself having to take manual control back a lot more often than I do in the Merc. On the other hand, the Merc often won’t respond to a car changing into your lane until they are completely over, and will happily accelerate into their rear quarter if they do a slow change.

So can you turn it on and take a nap? Probably not. Is it better than nothing? I think it’s a mostly unqualified yes. The asking price for a Comma 3 is $1500, which is a lot for some questionable open source poo poo. I got the older Comma 2 inoperable from ebay for a lot leas than that, because a. I’m cheap af and b. I wanted to see how much of a ball-ache it would be to get it going, if it was possible at all. A lot of the support docs lead to ‘if that doesn’t work ask on the discord’ which isn’t confidence inspiring but they were actually very helpful. And having the supported hardware would have eliminated a lot of my issues, and it would just work better. So I will most likely be upgrading to the C3 in the near future, since I’m driving a ton more and I am confident that if the new hardware/software isn’t already better it could be made to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Shopping for a home EVSE charging station, I have an EV6 but it looks like the Tesla one is the most recommended. Anything annoying about it besides having to use an adapter to charge? Or anyone got any Non-tesla recommendations for a home charging station?