Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Name Change posted:

It will be funny and surreal if Trump is found liable/convicted of something and still polls better than DeSantis.

Buddy Cianci smiles from the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
just so i follow the conversation right, am i or am i not supposed to be buying guns and ammo while building up a group of resistance fighters?

am i only supposed to do this if i disagree with lesser evil voting?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean yeah that was not absolutely the place for leftist militants but you would hope that there was actual organized preparation for if the liberals end up doing a Hindenburg. Instead it seems largely spontaneous depending on whatever issue is debated. As opposed to the numerous very well-armed right-wing organizations that also weren't dumb enough to participate in obvious doomed effort. Like you could argue that the Nazis got way less close to the halls of power in their Putsch.

I mean at least there are liberals in military posts, right? Running local National Guards, poo poo like that?

Lol

Again, where can they intervene where the cops and fascists won't team up against them? At best the leftists will do all the work and then variously be murdered and arrested by cops and treated as terrorists. Maybe you should look into history about what happened to leftists under Hindenburg.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd love to hear who the ones who saved democracy on that day were? The cops who opened the gates for them?

No one wants to hear this answer, but Mike Pence.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That security guard who lured the mob away from the route to the panic rooms

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Depressingly true, decorum actually did save us

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Like it or not if there's a violent revolution in the US it will be the far right taking the reins.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Morrow posted:

Like it or not if there's a violent revolution in the US it will be the far right taking the reins.

Has this happened in the history of the US? Every example I can think of ends up with law changes in favor of the left and not the right (slavery, civil rights, etc). Unless you don't count those as revolutions, I suppose.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Jaxyon posted:

Disney is an evil capitalist hive of scum so i don't want to sound supportive of them.....but having said that, Disney would coup the Florida state government before moving to another state.

Jaxyon posted:

Even accounting for sweetheart tax deals, it's unlikely they'll ever get another state quite as stupid as Florida giving them their own fiefdom

Yeah, this is exactly it.

Disney was able to put down roots in Florida and get away with what they have so far specifically because back in the Early Days, nobody could have possibly foreseen Disney becoming it's own world power. Florida probably thought they were the ones getting one over on Disney at the time.
By the time anyone realized how strong the Mouse had become, it was too late.

There would never be another state in the union that would give Disney more than a fraction of the control they currently enjoy in Florida, and they'd make drat sure to have some sort of failsafes in place to keep it that way.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Kalit posted:

Has this happened in the history of the US? Every example I can think of ends up with law changes in favor of the left and not the right (slavery, civil rights, etc). Unless you don't count those as revolutions, I suppose.

It's pretty decisive that those were not revolutions: those were top down reforms imposed by the federal government after abolitionists/Civil rights activists successfully lobbied and took power through democratic means.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Obviously it's not the leftists' fault for not fighting the mob in the street, they collectively made the right decision not to oppose it. It would have been much worse if there had been leftist street fighters present (and at least some of the organizers were clearly trying to make that happen). But the leftist street fighters weren't an important part of stopping it, since it was stopped without their help and it would have been worse if they had been there.

Why should they be though? This is like saying that dentists weren't an important part of stopping a forest fire.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

World Famous W posted:

just so i follow the conversation right, am i or am i not supposed to be buying guns and ammo while building up a group of resistance fighters?

You must choose between voting and anything else. If you vote, community organizing becomes illegal and you better not throw anything at a proud boy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

the_steve posted:

Disney was able to put down roots in Florida and get away with what they have so far specifically because back in the Early Days, nobody could have possibly foreseen Disney becoming it's own world power. Florida probably thought they were the ones getting one over on Disney at the time.

There would never be another state in the union that would give Disney more than a fraction of the control they currently enjoy in Florida, and they'd make drat sure to have some sort of failsafes in place to keep it that way.

Bullshit. State and local governments bend over backwards every time someone like Amazon or Elon Musk move their corporate world headquarters. I am particularly bitter Uber announced they'd move their corporate HQ to downtown Dallas, hyper-gentrified Deep Ellum, closed my loving club because they were going to turn it into a heliport, then backed out a year down the line. This is the way things have worked for the past decade now.

If Disney decided to move or put a new Disney World-sized resort, every state governor and legislature would be making GBS threads tax incentives and regulation loopholes because they KNOW that, unlike the corp HQs who just import their own workers, a new Disney World would bring an increase in local employment and so much loving money from tourism. And once infrastructure's built, they aren't going to back out like Amazon did recently in Virginia and leave the state with the bill

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Morrow posted:

It's pretty decisive that those were not revolutions: those were top down reforms imposed by the federal government after abolitionists/Civil rights activists successfully lobbied and took power through democratic means.

Saying those things happened because of activists lobbying and taking power through "democratic means" is an odd way to describe the mass violence that occurred, but okay.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 29, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Young Freud posted:

Bullshit. State and local governments bend over backwards every time someone like Amazon or Elon Musk move their corporate world headquarters. I am particularly bitter Uber announced they'd move their corporate HQ to downtown Dallas, hyper-gentrified Deep Ellum, closed my loving club because they were going to turn it into a heliport, then backed out a year down the line. This is the way things have worked for the past decade now.

If Disney decided to move or put a new Disney World-sized resort, every state governor and legislature would be making GBS threads tax incentives and regulation loopholes because they KNOW that, unlike the corp HQs who just import their own workers, a new Disney World would bring an increase in local employment and so much loving money from tourism. And once infrastructure's built, they aren't going to back out like Amazon did recently in Virginia and leave the state with the bill

I feel like there's a pretty noticeable difference between a corporate HQ building and an amusement megapark that would be expecting the Vatican treatment of being its own autonomous city-state while also still reaping the tax and regulation bennies you alluded to.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Has the use of a particular font, no matter how the public has tied the font to a corporation or corporate usage, ever been declared to be copyright infringement?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Like, gently caress Desantis and I hope bad things happen to him because he sucks and shouldn't be in a position of power, but the fact that he was able to do something like this and not immediately be arrested seems like a sign of some major systematic flaws in our justice system that extend way beyond him as an individual.

I'm pretty sure the courts, to date, have said it's not technically human trafficking, which is why DeSantis & other governors have continued to send migrants to Chicago & New York. (Abbott's been sending so many immigrants to Chicago that police stations are now sheltering them temporarily.)

Besides, with all the migrant children who have been trafficked by the Biden administration, many of whom were forced to work and/or who are now missing, I'm not sure that casting stones against DeSantis' immigrant flights to the Vineyard would be the wisest move at this point in time.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 29, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Young Freud posted:

You know they can't just airlift the whole park that's taken over 50 years to build to another state, right?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why should they be though? This is like saying that dentists weren't an important part of stopping a forest fire.

Right, they aren't. Leftists fighting Proud Boys in the street are largely irrelevant to whether or not the Proud Boys achieve their goals (except "fight leftists in the street", obviously).

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Comstar posted:

News wires are reporting the US Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is preparing to place First Republic Bank under receivership.

I recall reading multiple articles stating with clear facts that no further banks would be in danger and First Republic Bank specifically would be fully supported and have no further issues.

If you have money in that bank, get out. Get Out Now.

You’re a huge dumbass. Why are you contributing to a panic? Are you aware of what the FDIC does?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Let's just focus on the twenty or so capitol police who did their jobs and bought everyone in Congress time to evacuate safely.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Right, they aren't. Leftists fighting Proud Boys in the street are largely irrelevant to whether or not the Proud Boys achieve their goals (except "fight leftists in the street", obviously).

The Proud Boys' goal is to terrorize vulnerable communities though. That's what leftists try to stop them from doing. Bringing up the Jan 6 putsch is a complete non sequitur.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

the_steve posted:

FL resident here:

I don't think it is/was just Disney. Steel mills, car factories...Amazon's new werehouse had states and cities bidding for the "opportunity" and all the "new jobs". Sports team owners routinely shake down major cities for stadium development and taxpayer funding. It's not new.

Granted, probably none of those examples are on the SCALE of what Disney did/does in Florida, but that also includes the vast amount of income they bring into the state.

It's a weird hill for DeSantis to die on because "free market" and "corporations are people" and "party of small government". It's like Iowa going after Big Corn or maybe Texas loving around with oil companies and none of it really jibes with the stated GOP agenda. You can read about them head scratching over it and trying to conflate what Ron is doing with their hands off approach to business.

It's even weirder for me because I hate DeSantis as well as Disney.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
a large part of the appeal of disney world is its in a nice subtropical beach area that is ideal for vacations

can't really take that with you if you up and move

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let's just focus on the twenty or so capitol police who did their jobs and bought everyone in Congress time to evacuate safely.

Literally heroes. Not the fake, "all cops are heroes", but actually laid their life on the line for their duty heroes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

World Famous W posted:

a large part of the appeal of disney world is its in a nice subtropical beach area that is ideal for vacations

can't really take that with you if you up and move

It also won't have anything like the same kind of climate in, oh, ten to fifteen years

There's a decent argument that DW may have to relocate *anyway* fairly soon. Might as well move up to South Carolina and get the climate that Florida had back when DW was built.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I'm probably one of the few people rooting for Disney, because even extremely tepid pushback against facist genocide is still pushback against facist genocide.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i will never root for disney. most ill give is a "let them fight"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It also won't have anything like the same kind of climate in, oh, ten to fifteen years

There's a decent argument that DW may have to relocate *anyway* fairly soon. Might as well move up to South Carolina and get the climate that Florida had back when DW was built.
hmm, true true

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

World Famous W posted:

Yeah, from what I'm gathering it's leftist street fighters fault that the Democrats couldn't stop all 9 judges from signing a piece of paper that said "no oversight thank you".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd love to hear who the ones who saved democracy on that day were? The cops who opened the gates for them?

Hundreds of years of institutional inertia ensuring that even if the protesters killed the entire legislature and took the building for themselves, they would not be able to declare themselves the new legislature, because nobody would take orders from them.

Young Freud posted:

There is no way that Disney is moving Disney World elsewhere, period. Not unless they're literally forced out of Florida altogether. It'd be way too expensive to be worth the trouble; the costs of relocation are almost certainly more than what the Florida legislature could cost them with any of the fuckery they've done so far.

For one thing, they've built up an absolute fuckton of expensive infrastructure there, much of which they can't just pack up and carry off. There is no way in hell Disney wants to rebuild all that somewhere else.

For another, it would be difficult for many states to offer Disney a setup as good as the one they already have in Florida. When Walt came up with the idea for Disney World, Florida was still a backwater farming state, but its population was starting to rapidly increase as relatively recent advances in things like air conditioning and mosquito control were starting to make Florida a lot more livable than it had previously been. That meant that Walt was able to scoop up a ton of land (which was, at the time, nearly-worthless swampland) in a state with a skyrocketing population and a rapidly-growing tourism industry, not very far from a major city with what was soon to become a major airport. That's a set of circumstances that's difficult to replicate these days, no matter how hard the legislatures are bending over backward.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

FL resident here:

I don't think it is/was just Disney. Steel mills, car factories...Amazon's new werehouse had states and cities bidding for the "opportunity" and all the "new jobs". Sports team owners routinely shake down major cities for stadium development and taxpayer funding. It's not new.

Granted, probably none of those examples are on the SCALE of what Disney did/does in Florida, but that also includes the vast amount of income they bring into the state.

It's a weird hill for DeSantis to die on because "free market" and "corporations are people" and "party of small government". It's like Iowa going after Big Corn or maybe Texas loving around with oil companies and none of it really jibes with the stated GOP agenda. You can read about them head scratching over it and trying to conflate what Ron is doing with their hands off approach to business.

It's even weirder for me because I hate DeSantis as well as Disney.

It's hilarious to me because I know that any "wokeness" on the part of Disney is pure PR camouflage over an amoral money generating machine that exists purely to fatten it's shareholders wallets. I think that the reason the Fash hate it so much is because it falsifies their whole "go woke go broke" premise.

Capitalism for all it's many flaws when left to it's own devices is really good at determining relative value of things. Disney and other corporate behemoths acting "woke" means that doing so will generate more $$$.

I work for a major telecom, a real deal too big to fail company. And our official internal corporate culture is ever single thing that Republicans rant about being woke. It's not because the executives are a bunch of bleeding heart liberals or closet Marxists. It's because they data driven sociopaths who only care about the bottom line.

Which means that even the heartless sociopathic system that the Right worships rejects their ideas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^True^^^

It's always weird to me that the GOP wants to let the free market speak except when they decide they don't like what it has to say. Actually not that weird since they do that with anything and everything.

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm probably one of the few people rooting for Disney, because even extremely tepid pushback against facist genocide is still pushback against facist genocide.

World Famous W posted:

i will never root for disney. most ill give is a "let them fight"

Yeah, I dunno. I'm kind of on the fence but slightly siding with The Mouse only because this is the GOP governor going after them solely because they're friendly to gay people and don't want them to burn in hell. If I'm adding it all up, Disney has done far more for my 12 year old son and been less detrimental to his development than Ron DeSantis has but, for me, it's like a playoff game or a Super Bowl with two teams I can't loving stand.

I lean towards Ron's motives being way more performative and devious than Disney's rather basic and easy to understand "accumulate as much profit as possible" motives over DeSantis' "gently caress these woke queers vote for me"

I also don't think that Disney is going to suffer much over climate change for a good while. It sounds like some posters in this thread think they're coastal but they're not.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 29, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, from what I'm gathering it's leftist street fighters fault that the Democrats couldn't stop all 9 judges from signing a piece of paper that said "no oversight thank you".

You're misreading. It isn't useful to talk about whose fault it is, but it is extremely obvious that the leftist street fighters could not stop all 9 judges from signing that piece of paper either (and if they tried the results would be worse than what actually happened).

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

And also we must cheer for Joe Manchin and the Disney Corporation as the bulwarks protecting us from fascism.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

James Garfield posted:

You're misreading. It isn't useful to talk about whose fault it is, but it is extremely obvious that the leftist street fighters could not stop all 9 judges from signing that piece of paper either (and if they tried the results would be worse than what actually happened).

You're talking about different things. I went back and reread the exchange and they're clearly not talking about glorious revolution, they are talking about being forced to fight fascists in the streets to directly protect themselves and other vulnerable people. Which is literally already happening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Willa Rogers posted:

Has the use of a particular font, no matter how the public has tied the font to a corporation or corporate usage, ever been declared to be copyright infringement?

Copyright ≠ Trademark. If you evoke enough similarities to a trademarked brand that it seems conceivable that you're affiliated with the brand, it's possible to get in trouble for it.

This is why, for example, if you're a fan of a show and you want to make a craft beer inspired by it, you can either do a pun or a logo parody, but probably not both. It's also why South Park tends to use the actual brand names but not the logos, and they don't get in trouble for it because it's obviously not the actual brand.

That said, this one probably isn't worth it to Disney.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

James Garfield posted:

Nonsense. We came SO close to a supreme court justice being assassinated, you think that dead SC Justices can sign papers still?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Kalit posted:

Saying those things happened because of activists lobbying and taking power through "democratic means" is an odd way to describe the mass violence that occurred, but okay.
Also the American Civil War is generally considered a bourgeois revolution by Marxist historians, since it is seen as an instance where two exploiting classes (one tied to an increasingly outmoded chattel slavery versus another tied to an ascendant industrial capitalism) sought to use the federal government to safeguard their interests. The Republican Party represented the interests of the industrial bourgeoisie and intended to only admit free states to the Union, a course which would have gradually whittled down the representation of slaveholders in the Senate, Supreme Court, and eventually the House. The slaveholders had no interest in becoming politically impotent, and so resorted to force and violence to preserve their "way of life," only for the latter to be smashed and, as one Marxist historian put it, "several billion dollars worth of private property—hitherto perfectly legal—were confiscated and by this blow a basic element in an entire social fabric was eliminated."

The fact that this process was "imposed by the federal government" doesn't change its revolutionary nature. As Marx wrote, "Other people claim to be 'fighting for an idea,' when it is for them a matter of square feet of land. Lincoln, even when he is motivated by an idea, talks about 'square feet.' He sings the bravura aria of his part hesitatively, reluctantly and unwillingly, as though apologizing for being compelled by circumstances 'to act the lion.' The most redoubtable decrees—which will always remain remarkable historical documents—flung by him at the enemy all look like, and are intended to look like, routine summonses sent by a lawyer to the lawyer of the opposing party, legal chicaneries, overly complicated actiones juris. His latest proclamation, which is drafted in the same style, the manifesto abolishing slavery, is the most important document in American history since the establishment of the Union, tantamount to the tearing up of the old American Constitution."

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Byzantine posted:

And also we must cheer for Joe Manchin and the Disney Corporation as the bulwarks protecting us from fascism.

You don't have to loving cheer for them, but Disney is doing a more for people in Flordia than endless wanking about doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Like, Disney donated 80 acres of their Flordia property to an outside group to build low-income housing. They did it for PR reasons, but that's 1400 more units of housing than there would be otherwise. And it's not going to be a company town, before people start talking about Mouse Script.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
you actually don't have to give it to giant evil corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

World Famous W posted:

you actually don't have to give it to giant evil corporations

They'll just take it anyway.