Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leave posted:

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor has an accessibility toggle for arachnophobia, which will slightly change an enemy model so it is less spidery. I'm not bothered by big video game spiders too much myself, but that's a fuckin dope thing for the devs to do.

Apparently an unpopular decision based both on twitter responses and our very on steam thread in Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Grounded with the arachnophobia slider all the way up turned the spiders into hosed up orb monstrosities that I actually found more disturbing than the fully spidered-up spiders.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Leal posted:

Apparently an unpopular decision based both on twitter responses and our very on steam thread in Games

:psyduck:

I will never understand the amount of hatred some gamers have for options they are not forced to toggle.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It's because you're not cheating the game, you're cheating yourself. (:jerkbag:)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

What? Why? Who gives a poo poo? It's like getting mad that a game has subtitles!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously if they hadn't assigned a developer to implementing the spider slider, the developer would have spent their time on your favorite feature instead. Yes, you specifically, reading this

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

ZeusCannon posted:

What? Why? Who gives a poo poo? It's like getting mad that a game has subtitles!

Yes it was very dumb

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

Git güd, hearingailures. :smuggo:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Twitter says its devs being soft. Which is strange that twitter was the... softer option, whereas on here it was declared you're a pussy if you use it. Then goons started going on about how the option should instead add more spiders.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Leal posted:

Twitter says its devs being soft. Which is strange that twitter was the... softer option, whereas on here it was declared you're a pussy if you use it. Then goons started going on about how the option should instead add more spiders.

That should only apply when the toggle is related to homophobia/transphobia, not arachnophobia.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Games should have woke slider if you happen to have low tolerance for things like girls kissing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm curious what it's gonna look like when I get there. I'm arachnophobic, but the spiders in more fantastical games are generally ok. If they just plopped a giant tarantula or something in there, it might be toggle time.

Since Jedi Survivor wants to be Dark Souls/Sekiro, the spiders should be using tools in their hands like General Grievous

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I have no inherent issue with arachnophobia modes, but I do worry about them in like a slippery-slope kinda way - a lot of the framing is in the form of 'accessibility,' which is the same word used for, like, making sure roads are traversable, but a piece of art shouldn't be required to be accessible to everyone in the same way. If you want to and can, that's great, but people always talk about how, like, (to use the example that starts the most fights) Dark Souls needs to have an easy mode because otherwise it's unexperiencable by people with certain disabilities, so it's a moral obligation to do so

And eventually that burden just becomes too much and stifles the creation of new art and spaces, because there's ALWAYS more and more niche things to make something more 'accessible,' removing more things that bother people

The Discord server I used to spend the most time in has a policy of being the most inclusive possible, and anything anybody says they can't deal with is banned... which means that, after a couple years, the list of banned topics now looks like:

Excessive Blood/Gore
Eyes
Pregnancy and Babies
Any fungus or mushrooms
Hands
The ocean or any deep water
Vomit
Cats outside
Spiders
Fish
Food
Guns
the phrase "Good [X]"
Clowns or other types of costumed jokers

and I have stopped posting because I might accidentally mention something I ate or say I like going to the beach or something

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

John Lee posted:

I have no inherent issue with arachnophobia modes, but I do worry about them in like a slippery-slope kinda way - a lot of the framing is in the form of 'accessibility,' which is the same word used for, like, making sure roads are traversable, but a piece of art shouldn't be required to be accessible to everyone in the same way. If you want to and can, that's great, but people always talk about how, like, (to use the example that starts the most fights) Dark Souls needs to have an easy mode because otherwise it's unexperiencable by people with certain disabilities, so it's a moral obligation to do so

And eventually that burden just becomes too much and stifles the creation of new art and spaces, because there's ALWAYS more and more niche things to make something more 'accessible,' removing more things that bother people

The Discord server I used to spend the most time in has a policy of being the most inclusive possible, and anything anybody says they can't deal with is banned... which means that, after a couple years, the list of banned topics now looks like:

Excessive Blood/Gore
Eyes
Pregnancy and Babies
Any fungus or mushrooms
Hands
Vomit
Cats outside
Spiders
Fish
Food
Guns
the phrase "Good [X]"

and I have stopped posting because I might accidentally mention something I ate or say I like going to the beach or something

A slider or option that's turned off by default seems like a pretty reasonable middle of the road between that and 'haha people are such pussies'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

A slider or option that's turned off by default seems like a pretty reasonable middle of the road between that and 'haha people are such pussies'

That list is incredible though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

John Lee posted:

Excessive Blood/Gore
Eyes
Pregnancy and Babies
Any fungus or mushrooms
Hands
Vomit
Cats outside
Spiders
Fish
Food
Guns
the phrase "Good [X]"

I worry that posts like this are a slippery slope to someone Kramering in and ranting about trigger warnings or movies having age ratings

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

As an arachnophobe myself, calling it "accessibility" as if a fear of spiders is equal to being deaf or blind is...uncomfortable? Feels like the 'tag your pomegranates' school of thought.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Dragon Age 2 also had a similar setting that replaced spider models with war dogs.
I'm guessing that also applied to the elephant-sized spiders.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Byzantine posted:

As an arachnophobe myself, calling it "accessibility" as if a fear of spiders is equal to being deaf or blind is...uncomfortable? Feels like the 'tag your pomegranates' school of thought.

Accessibility and difficulty options have been conflated for years now. People complained that Elden Ring was hostile to disabled people because it doesn't have a quest tracker

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

John Lee posted:

Any fungus or mushrooms

Sounds like you were in a discord where fun guys weren't allowed

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

sebmojo posted:

That list is incredible though

Good Hands

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RareAcumen posted:

I worry that posts like this are a slippery slope to someone Kramering in and ranting about trigger warnings or movies having age ratings

The only slippery slope we should be talking about is slip'n'slides

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Hitting the arachnophobia slider in Spider-Man just autoplays the JJJ podcasts.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Mafia: Definitive Edition
(Fairly mild mid-story spoilers)
MC, when finding a dead dog during a mission: "Christ, what kind of a guy would shoot a dog?"
Me, smart and funny: "Oh poo poo, I'm going to be shooting cops in this mission lol"

The game, after a gunfight moments later: "Oh poo poo, the bad guys in this mission turned out to be cops!!!"

I'm not sure if that was actually meant to be humorous foreshadowing of sorts, but I kind of think it had to have been.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Oh yeah, agreed - like I said, it's cool for it to exist, and even if I were entirely neutral I'd still enjoy seeing the ways people came up with stuff to get around it (orbs, cats, etc). I just don't like the framing that pops out sometimes that it or other ways of making a game more pleasant or easy to use for more people have a moral obligation to exist, because that puts an unnecessary burden on, like, everyone, where every indie dev who whacks out a seven-day roguelike has to have a dozen different accessibility modes.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

John Lee posted:

Oh yeah, agreed - like I said, it's cool for it to exist, and even if I were entirely neutral I'd still enjoy seeing the ways people came up with stuff to get around it (orbs, cats, etc). I just don't like the framing that pops out sometimes that it or other ways of making a game more pleasant or easy to use for more people have a moral obligation to exist, because that puts an unnecessary burden on, like, everyone, where every indie dev who whacks out a seven-day roguelike has to have a dozen different accessibility modes.

Sounds like a pretty slippery situation

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
The thing about accessibility-adjacent sliders (arachnophobia, tinnitus, etc) is that not only is nobody forcing people to turn them ON, nobody is forcing the developers to put them IN, either. With a few exceptions, nobody comes to my desk and is like “drop what you’re doing and help out with the key rebinding code”. It’s more often that I, when working on a feature, think “oh this would suck for people who are different than me in ways X Y and Z” and I come up with a few possible mitigation plans. I present those to production and we agree on something and roll the time into the standard workload.

I agree that not every piece of work has to be consumable by everyone, but when your game has to sell several million units to break even you need to include as many people as you can. Indie studios who cater to people with assorted accessibility needs are finding that it pays off too - same goes for localization.

Follow the money - the giant publishers would not be doing this if they didn’t smell cash.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

The thing about accessibility-adjacent sliders (arachnophobia, tinnitus, etc) is that not only is nobody forcing people to turn them ON, nobody is forcing the developers to put them IN, either. With a few exceptions, nobody comes to my desk and is like “drop what you’re doing and help out with the key rebinding code”. It’s more often that I, when working on a feature, think “oh this would suck for people who are different than me in ways X Y and Z” and I come up with a few possible mitigation plans. I present those to production and we agree on something and roll the time into the standard workload.

I agree that not every piece of work has to be consumable by everyone, but when your game has to sell several million units to break even you need to include as many people as you can. Indie studios who cater to people with assorted accessibility needs are finding that it pays off too - same goes for localization.

Follow the money - the giant publishers would not be doing this if they didn’t smell cash.

I’m as anti-capitalist as anyone around here, but if you can’t convince developers to include accessibility options for the myriad reasons that it makes good sense like for instance their being used in novel ways other than intended, making the game mmore inviting overall, creating bespoke experiences for a wide range of players, or yeah, because it’s a cool and good thing to do, then at the least I think it’s worth remembering that disability encompasses a huge range of variance and there are untapped market segments that you just couldn’t reach if you didn’t bother. When all else fails, appeal to the mercenary nature of commodities.

On the spider thing, as an actual visually impaired person I kinda roll my eyes a little, but who gives a good god drat? If developers want to find strange ways to be inclusive and welcoming, I’m never going to poo poo on them for attempting it, even if it doesn’t appeal to me, personally.

The whiny contingent of bigotted assholes that feel the need to patronize and gatekeep the experiences of people who are not like them for the sake of developer “vision,” are just exclusionary dickheads, no two ways about it. Wanna know how to spot the rear end in a top hat? Propose that perhaps this doesn’t effect you personally, nor should it. It’s stunning how many people will double down in that instance, rather than going oh poo poo maybe I didn’t think about that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Accessibility based design also provably doesn't stifle creativity. Several countries already have to 'restrict' what they put in their video games and yet still creatively include those elements. Capcom have been releasing entirely separate dismemberment free versions of Resident Evil since the 90s (you might know of it, it's called Biohazard). Recently Elden Ring managed to secure a CERO D in spite of this dismemberment happening directly in front of the camera, not to mention several of the enemy types. It seems like these developers are doing just fine at implementing creative twists on taboo subjects.

No video game can legally include the Red Cross symbol, but count how many times you've seen it in games colored green or with a line through it or something. Accessibility doesn't just refer to the human senses, never has, it also extends to our common symbols.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Apr 29, 2023

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think it’s decapitation that gets you an instant CERO Z, not general dismemberment.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

There's a lot of this too, but people have blind spots in their rationale and thinking. Slippery slope arguments where A will lead to Z without taking into account that every step along that path is an opportunity for a different outcome, or catastrophizing outcomes in their head are not logical positions, but nobody ever said people are logical. Part of it is hardwiring, part of it conditioning

But yeh,

BurningBeard posted:

Wanna know how to spot the rear end in a top hat? Propose that perhaps this doesn’t effect you personally, nor should it. It’s stunning how many people will double down in that instance, rather than going oh poo poo maybe I didn’t think about that.

See also : being asked to explain their thinking and refusing to, or getting defensive and angry when presented with evidence that other people think differently

e:

CJacobs posted:

Accessibility based design also provably doesn't stifle creativity.

Creative work often benefits and is shaped by "limitations" and other considerations. Working within constraints can give one the inspiration and freedom to explore entirely new avenues that they hadn't thought of before

Cool Kids Club Soda has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Apr 29, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like twists in games where something supernatural has been happening, but the root cause got it involved by accident and was just trying to do something human and terrible.
I've been watching a run of a game with that kind of twist where the player goes through with physical attacks only, so it brought that to mind (specifically Persona 4 where the plot hinges on the villain being an attempted serial rapist who accidentally ended up throwing his first victims into the TV world because they struggled too hard, then got interested in that world from there).

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
your insane discord friends do not shape game dev policy lmao

shadows of doubt is maybe the greatest thief game ever. had a random NPC decide to break into the same apartment as me, then set the turret off on both of us

Douche Wolf 89 has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Apr 29, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Accessibility based design also provably doesn't stifle creativity. Several countries already have to 'restrict' what they put in their video games and yet still creatively include those elements. Capcom have been releasing entirely separate dismemberment free versions of Resident Evil since the 90s (you might know of it, it's called Biohazard). Recently Elden Ring managed to secure a CERO D in spite of this dismemberment happening directly in front of the camera, not to mention several of the enemy types. It seems like these developers are doing just fine at implementing creative twists on taboo subjects.

No video game can legally include the Red Cross symbol, but count how many times you've seen it in games colored green or with a line through it or something. Accessibility doesn't just refer to the human senses, never has, it also extends to our common symbols.

Really fascinating stuff, some of which I didn’t know. Hey btw I didn’t get a chance to say so last time this came up in the thread, but I loved your Surge/BB vids dude. Meant to say so before, but forgot. Hope you’re still making stuff. LPs have been really good for me when a game poses an unrealistic barrier for me to work around.

Funny side thing about that, Souls/Sekeiro of all things are actually closer to being accessible than you’d think. But that’s a whole other thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Include an achievement/trophy for beating the first spider enemy that just says "Hello, CJacobs!"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CJacobs posted:

No video game can legally include the Red Cross symbol, but count how many times you've seen it in games colored green or with a line through it or something.

I have to say, I've always felt that's a pretty silly restriction, although I understand where the Red Cross is coming from. I found it pretty funny that newer versions of the original doom.wad file edit the red medkit symbol to an up arrow.

On an accessibility note, I think that Jedi Fallen Order kind of puts the lie to the idea that accessibility options would ruin souls like games. Just letting me increase the timing tolerances for things like partying made that game so much more enjoyable for me. I still regret spending $60 on Elden Ring, I really wanted to experience more of that game than my ability is going to allow.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Apr 29, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
A lot of the time when I hear people complaining about spiders in videogames, it's not "I can't play games with spiders in them", it's "I'm sick of devs using spiders an enemy designs because I find them to be more upsetting than most people do."

From the dev's perspective, though, a lost sale is a lost sale, whether it's because the person can't play the game or because they simply choose not to. Framing their market-broadening efforts as accessibility is just good PR.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It also betrays a type of laziness/lack of imagination. "Oh, just throw a spider in there". Come up with something interesting, it's easy to exploit such a universal phobia (as even if people aren't arachnophobic, they may still have a knee jerk reaction to it). The spider level in Nioh is a neat level structurally and the cobwebs changing the layout of the town so that it's unrecognisable to navigate is a cool use of the enemy type, but the other yokai are just more interesting.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Include an achievement/trophy for beating the first spider enemy that just says "Hello, CJacobs!"

"All you had to do was hit the drat toggle, CJ!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Why don't you want arachnophobia toggles? What are you, some kind of filthy spider-lover??