Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PostNouveau posted:

Oh I didn't notice the weapon spin-up at the end at all. The judging rubric IIRC is very much like "Is weapon down? Is weapon damaged but working? Is drive totally down? Is drive damaged but working?" It might have been 6-5s with Minotaur winning damage and control and WD winning aggression, but I felt like Minotaur had a lot more significant charges in the beginning than WD did at the end. WD definitely had enough control to not go 0-3 because they got to dictate a lot of the end of the fight when Minotaur was really limping around.

They usually tweet the scorecards for split decisions, but I bet they'll tweet them on this one as well.

I could've sworn that somebody on the Witch Doctor team asked their operators to attempt to do the same, but found they really couldn't, at the end of the match. Maybe I misheard the exchange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

I could've sworn that somebody on the Witch Doctor team asked their operators to attempt to do the same, but found they really couldn't, at the end of the match. Maybe I misheard the exchange.

So maybe both teams had decided to shut down half-functioning weapons that weren't going to do any more damage just so they could get the "half damage" credit in the damage score by firing them up at the end?

It's probably also worth just trying to fire up your damaged weapon at the end. Maybe it springs back to life in the last 10 seconds.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
shreddit bro :sadsmith:

Q2 looks wild but that ripperoni black dragon matchup is a harsh one for both teams

I was laughing at slammo and double tap being so boring that they started doing the side by side preview of the rest of the season

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 28, 2023

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

ilmucche posted:

shreddit bro :sadsmith:

Q2 looks wild but that ripperoni black dragon matchup is a harsh one for both teams

I was laughing at slammo and double tap being so boring that they started doing the side by side preview of the rest of the season

I'm glad they do that now instead of just cutting the match

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I liked when they filmed 8 and threw the worst one on YouTube or Science Channel

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Somebody posted on the Facebook group a strength of schedule spreadsheet.

Does not take into account KOs, which I think would be the next biggest metric the selection committee would consider. It would probably best explain the seeding difference between Riptide, Quantum and Huge. (Not that those seeds matter all that much. I think the more interesting analysis is at the bottom with who made it and who didn't)

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 28, 2023

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I think the problem with considering strength of schedule and seeding, is that the selection committee most likely takes into account the storylines and fun matches that could occur within the tournament. So they seed the bots to get certain teams in the same quadrants. Or have the 2 giant nut holders fight in the first round.

Also for tournament matchups and storylines. Riptide & Shatter have already fought last season.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Link to the printable bracket! Gonna fill in and post my predictions soon.

Some bots were definitely seeded lower than I expected.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm taking Hydra. I think they have the easiest route to the finals, and they would have beaten End Game in their first match if their flipper hadn't gotten stuck in the up position. Quadrant 2 is nasty poo poo, so End Game might be limping in.

Super :lmao: if all this happens except Huge beats End Game and we get a finals rematch of the bike rack match.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sure let's go for it

Round 1 - Switchback/Malice will probably come down to which bot's weapon takes a poo poo first, and Malice's does that a lot. Beta I think could probably tank Whiplash? It hasn't been super great this season either. Realistically Black Dragon will win but I'm cheering on the pizza delivery team. :v: Right side I think is actually probably pretty straight forward, though Bloodsport may win out here.

So on through the rest on the left, I expect Minotaur will sweep, I'm going to cheer on the pizza team anyway, but on the right I think End Game will finally put Riptide in their place this season. Hypershock is well and good but I think they're going to get crunched. I think probably it'll be Huge v Mad Catter and it's a toss-up here.

Really though what'll probably happen is Minotaur vs. End Game and though I'd like the Brazilians to win it's probably still End Game's game to lose, but I'm going to go cheer on Ripperoni either way

If Minotaur vs Sawblaze happens I think it comes down entirely to who flanks who first

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm slightly disappointed that Triton got passed up, but it's a Freshman bot that only got a 2-2. It has potential, imo, but maybe it'll have its chance next year.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

If Minotaur vs Sawblaze happens I think it comes down entirely to who flanks who first

I don't think this was luck.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7169577252135423259

Minotaur gets some shots in, but it has to have that weapon up to speed and pointed right at Sawblaze the entire fight to survive. Once Sawblaze scoops it, it's over.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that Triton got passed up, but it's a Freshman bot that only got a 2-2. It has potential, imo, but maybe it'll have its chance next year.

Yea they should be a much better team next year with actually having time to design and build the bot. Not sure how long they actually had to put Triton together, since they originally applied for the season with Deep Six again and had made the modifications to Deep Six for the new design rules, but got rejected. So we got Horizontal Deep Six.

I'll put a bracket together sometime this weekend. Even though it's hard to knock Black Dragon out, they don't have a great record and I think there is a real chance Ripperoni takes that fight.

Hydra does have a pretty easy path through the tournament this year and they didn't really take any significant damage in the regular season. I don't think Quantum is going to get through to the quarterfinals, they'd actually pose a real threat to Hydra...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think this was luck.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7169577252135423259

Minotaur gets some shots in, but it has to have that weapon up to speed and pointed right at Sawblaze the entire fight to survive. Once Sawblaze scoops it, it's over.

Totally forgot about this lol

Sawblaze vs Ripperoni then :haw:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Totally forgot about this lol

Sawblaze vs Ripperoni then :haw:

It's just so weird how some bots react differently to getting hit. Something about Sawblaze being heavier in the rear (maybe?) makes them shake off hits to the front that blast the poo poo out of other bots. They're all 250 lbs., but Minotaur's shots on Sawblaze seem to do way less than what it does to other opponents.

Maybe its weapon wasn't full speed the whole fight and a rematch would be completely different?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

It's just so weird how some bots react differently to getting hit. Something about Sawblaze being heavier in the rear (maybe?) makes them shake off hits to the front that blast the poo poo out of other bots. They're all 250 lbs., but Minotaur's shots on Sawblaze seem to do way less than what it does to other opponents.

Maybe its weapon wasn't full speed the whole fight and a rematch would be completely different?

While they were talking about Black Dragon's survival spree and how it totally definitely won't get knocked out against Riptide they brought up they had padding along with compartmentalization, I'd guess that and armor load has something to do with it too, just how the impact disperses through the body. What gets me is how some bots just sit there after a hit and some get yeeted into the top of the arena lol. Like you said they're all more or less the same weight (and more often than not, the same dimensions), crazy how that can happen

But yeah considering that way worse odds for Minotaur. Sawblaze vs. End Game would be an interesting final. They've beaten EG before iirc but that was a while ago

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Something I've been wondering about too is how much weapon-on-weapon hits are determined by sheer luck. All the vertical spinners/eggbeaters employ teeth on the weapon, is it just whose tooth happens to rotate into position to catch the other bot before their tooth gets there? Like a matter of milliseconds determines who's taking the hit there?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

Something I've been wondering about too is how much weapon-on-weapon hits are determined by sheer luck. All the vertical spinners/eggbeaters employ teeth on the weapon, is it just whose tooth happens to rotate into position to catch the other bot before their tooth gets there? Like a matter of milliseconds determines who's taking the hit there?

It's got to be since that's where the force would really apply on impact (see - Uppercut), the handful that don't tend to just try to grind away at the body instead

I wonder if there'd be room in Battlebots for a drone/mini-bot showcase or exhibition in the future somehow. They turned out pretty useless in the long run except to try to high-center in mini-bots' cases as wedges. I'd still like to see the Battlebox floor mixed up slightly, have a slight hill or something to encourage other designs mores. As fun as watching verts kill each other is you can see where things are headed and more incentives for other or more exotic designs would be fun. Maybe if they had some sort of general exhibition matches in general to go along with the main season, though I guess no one makes enough money off these to really do that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

It's got to be since that's where the force would really apply on impact (see - Uppercut), the handful that don't tend to just try to grind away at the body instead

I wonder if there'd be room in Battlebots for a drone/mini-bot showcase or exhibition in the future somehow. They turned out pretty useless in the long run except to try to high-center in mini-bots' cases as wedges. I'd still like to see the Battlebox floor mixed up slightly, have a slight hill or something to encourage other designs mores. As fun as watching verts kill each other is you can see where things are headed and more incentives for other or more exotic designs would be fun. Maybe if they had some sort of general exhibition matches in general to go along with the main season, though I guess no one makes enough money off these to really do that.

Hills would get rid of the "lowest wins, add the most ridiculous forks you can" meta too. But it would just cost the teams too much I think. The majority of the field would have to be redesigned.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Tooth height/profile and weapon speed make a difference as well. All that really needs to happen is for one bot to clip a tiny bit that isn't spinning the same speed which pops it up enough that a second hit can make a solid connection.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Bring back the 15 bot rumble for all weight classes

I hope riptide lose, they are a very unlikable team, though I understand under the new rules why they had a few extra shots on gigabyte.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Let's do this thing, what you guys got?

I'm hesitant on Minotaur over Sawblaze if it happens, but I think it's Minotaur's season overall.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm surprised that Shatter got a nod over Mammoth or Shreddit Bro. Mammoth got their poo poo together in their last fight, as did Shreddit Bro to some degree, but I never felt like Shatter was effectual even in the one fight they won. Other than that, I'm ok with the seedings. I would have liked to see Quantum as a 3 or 4 seed over Hydra or Witch Doctor, but I also understand why they seeded the way they did.

I'll be sad to see Claw Viper hemmed out by HUGE in the bracket. If not for that terrible matchup, they could make a run. I'll be rooting for End Game to finally put Riptide down with good driving (but here's hoping Hypershock can do it first). I'll also be hoping to see either Ripperoni or Quantum shock Hydra. I think Jake Ewart is a good driver, but he makes mistakes and a little studder-step followed up by an aggressive attack can gently caress up Hydra. It would be cool to see a control bot go far int his tournament, and Quantum has a better chance than Claw Viper, given the matchups.

Anyway, here's what I got:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My bracket prediction: Lucky can't repair their bot in time for the first round and forfeit their spot to a surprise sub: Tombstone!! Tombstones goes through to the finals where it face off against Cobalt but both bots are so wrecked they can barely crabwalk at each other, and Tombstone wins via split judges' decision.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

let chaos reign

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Riptide needs to not only lose, but be left in many pieces.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There's a lot of coin flips along the way, but what I'm sure of is the Minotaur is making it to the finals, and would be favored to win in almost every possible matchup from the east side.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Riptide needs to not only lose, but be left in many pieces.

It's funny how the thread went from "Oh the Captain Shrederator team are just poor losers, the Riptide kid is just exuberant :buddy:" to "For the love of god someone please destroy Riptide :argh:"
:v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's funny how the thread went from "Oh the Captain Shrederator team are just poor losers, the Riptide kid is just exuberant :buddy:" to "For the love of god someone please destroy Riptide :argh:"

It can be two things!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Captain Shredderator are sore losers. Riptide kid is also a smug piece of poo poo and would be nice if his bot got torn up a bit :lol:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

No one was defending Riptide, everyone thought he was a dick from the get-go

ante fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 30, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Shredderator are sore losers, but Riptide are even worse. They're sore winners.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ante posted:

No was defending Riptide, everyone thought he was a dick from the get-go

I enjoyed a promising new rookie team but, yeah.

Although I've never liked Captain Confederator :v:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They were completely forgettable in their first season. Anyone who hated them just for Ethan yelling "Let's Go" is a weirdo.

It was the Shredderator fight.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It was after the madcatter fight for me. Don't be a jerk to wrestleman, even if his gimmick is running thin.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'm making some gambles.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

KennyMan666 posted:

I'm making some gambles.

I really like Quantum. It's fast, tough, and its shape can give certain weapon configurations fits. I almost picked them over Hydra but I chickened out. :negative:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

My (probably) terrible bracket and some random thoughts

- Minotaur is just better than the two bots it will beat, then the Sawblaze rematch will look about the same

- Ripperoni is a surprisingly good design that will make a deep run before getting plowed by Sawblaze

- Whiplash will avoid Hydra's flips and outdrive/outgrapple it again like their first match

- Riptide is the best spinner currently and I'm not even sure WD beats it, it's my least confident pick

- A lot of the spinner vs. spinner fights could really just be a coinflip based on how the spinner collision physics work out

- none of them can stop THE PLOW

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

My comment about the round of 32 choices: if I'm reading it right, they basically replaced 4 2-2 bots with 4 1-3 bots. An interesting decision. The argument could be made for Tantrum and Ribbot over Valkyrie and Shreddit Bro, I think they simply have better drivers whatever the merits of the bots. it gets more contentious when comparing Fusion and Shatter! with Triton and Mammoth. Nothing against Reece but I don't see how his bot outperformed Mammoth. And Shatter! has never beaten any of the higher-seeded bots except, interestingly, Lock-Jaw. By needing a large pool to end up with a round of 32, you're going to have to make these kinds of decisions, it is what it is, I just hope we get more RIPperonis but that's probably a lot to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One of the weirdest and maybe most consequential decisions in the rankings is Shatter one spot over Fusion. Fusion usually either gets KO'd or KOs someone.

Shatter does have a better career record, but I dunno it just seems obvious to me that a top-seeded bot will completely wreck it. It shouldn't be a challenge at all barring some colossal failure. So why then is Minotaur getting the hard-hitter for it's No. 1 seed match and Riptide gets the tomato can?